Travel to and from Mount Vesuvius

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
stilllurking

Travel to and from Mount Vesuvius

Post by stilllurking »

We’ll be in Naples on a cruise and want to visit Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius.

I’ve figured out how to get from the cruise port to Pompeii but would like to have a quicker ride up and down Mount Vesuvius rather than taking the EAV bus.

Are there cabs on Mount Vesuvius waiting to take passengers down? I don’t know how long we’d like to stay up there and would rather not have someone wait for us.

Is there an opportunity to take a bus back down or are those only round trip?

We’ve purchased tickets to both sites already. A private tour for four would cost around €550 and seems awfully expensive to go up and down Vesuvius since it’s very economical to get from the port to Pompeii and back.
talzara

Re: Travel to and from Mount Vesuvius

Post by talzara »

stilllurking wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:41 pm I’ve figured out how to get from the cruise port to Pompeii but would like to have a quicker ride up and down Mount Vesuvius rather than taking the EAV bus.

Are there cabs on Mount Vesuvius waiting to take passengers down? I don’t know how long we’d like to stay up there and would rather not have someone wait for us.

The EAV bus is a public bus. It accepts passengers between any two stops, like any other public bus.

If you're heading back to Naples, you can ask the driver to let you off in Torre del Greco. It's half a mile to the Circumvesuviana station in Torre del Greco, but it's an easy walk because it's downhill. You don't have to stay on the bus for another 20 minutes to get back to Pompei, which is in the wrong direction. If you catch a train at Torre del Greco that you would've missed at Pompei, then you've saved yourself 30 minutes.

Taxi drivers always prefer to have a fare instead of driving back empty. If you see a cab, then you can take it. If you don't see a cab, then take the bus.
Topic Author
stilllurking

Post by stilllurking »

talzara wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:07 pm
stilllurking wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 9:41 pm I’ve figured out how to get from the cruise port to Pompeii but would like to have a quicker ride up and down Mount Vesuvius rather than taking the EAV bus.

The EAV bus is a public bus. It accepts passengers between any two stops, like any other public bus.

If you're heading back to Naples, you can ask the driver to let you off in Torre del Greco. It's half a mile to the Circumvesuviana station in Torre del Greco, but it's an easy walk because it's downhill. You don't have to stay on the bus for another 20 minutes to get back to Pompei, which is in the wrong direction. If you catch a train at Torre del Greco that you would've missed at Pompei, then you've saved yourself 30 minutes.

Taxi drivers always prefer to have a fare instead of driving back empty. If you see a cab, then you can take it. If you don't see a cab, then take the bus.
Thanks talzara.

I found there is the Vesuvio Express bus for 12 Euros per person round trip from Ercolan Scavi to Mount Vesuvius and back. Total 3 hours. This fits the bill for us.
talzara

Post by talzara »

stilllurking wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2023 7:16 pm I found there is the Vesuvio Express bus for 12 Euros per person round trip from Ercolan Scavi to Mount Vesuvius and back. Total 3 hours. This fits the bill for us.
You should read the reviews for the Vesuvio Express.