Landscaping plants/trees

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Landscaping plants/trees

Post by Julyguy754 »

Hello-
Due to storm and disease damage I have to replace a tree and some shrubs. I live in NE Indiana zone 5b/6a. My landscape bed faces west and gets the full sun and also the wind when windy or stormy. I am getting too old to care for any trees/shrubs/bushes extensively. I also have clay soil for the most part. Indiana native would be good but not a necessity. I was thinking a River Birch until I heard how invasive the root systems are and they prefer moister ground. Would be too close to the house. A Redbud maybe but everyone has them and noticed some have died in the neighborhood. Love Blue Spruce but they don't grow well here and there are pest issues. Basically, looking for some low-maintenance trees/bushes, flowering would be great but not a deal breaker if not. Something hearty , tolerates heat and humidity and bug resistant. Oh, I have river rock not mulch for the ground cover.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to attach some pictures but not sure how to do that.
Thanks again,
Julyguy754
homebuyer6426

Re: Landscaping plants/trees

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Aronia (chokeberry) bushes flower for nearly a month, grow about 6 feet tall and around, and have attractive leaves. They are very low maintenance, and you can make wine out of the berries. Pests do not touch them, and they don't take long to mature. I believe they're good down to zone 2.

I have 10-15 of them. They are really easy to make clones from the cuttings. They aren't invasive, doing well in clay soil.
45% Total Stock Market | 52% Consumer Staples | 3% Short Term Reserves
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Spend a few hundred $ for a landscape designer to give you advice and a rough plan.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
flarf

Post by flarf »

Are there any tree farms or landscaping stores nearby? Not a big box store, but a dedicated nursery -- the people there would know exactly what grows well in your area. You're going to have to source the plants from somewhere anyway.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Do these trees and shrubs need to be replaced? Some people prefer a more open, sunny look these days.

In our community people generally like trees and want them to stay except on their own property where they want them cut down to get more light, or don't like leaves or needles, etc. So it is a situation where I want to chop down the trees on MY property, but you can't chop down the trees on YOUR property. We have some people who would be glad if a storm took down their trees.
Swee'pea

Post by Swee'pea »

I don't live in your area but I also am replacing trees this fall or next. My approach is to visit local arboretums and established plant nurseries and look at what they have planted on the premises, not just browse the current inventory. I observe the trees in my community across all the seasons. I search out experienced arborists and have a list of questions prepared. Even if no one is available to chat during the work day, I’ve had very thoughtful and helpful responses to emailed questions on specific tree requirements and availability. Our state extension office provides useful resources for home owners, as well.

I’m not in a big hurry because I hope to live with my selections for a long time. I vividly remember planting trees with my Dad decades ago. Disclosure, he was a forester and farmer so these are familiar topics and I enjoy interacting with tree professionals.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

In VA and am too facing the same challenges of aging. Local nurseries - not the big box stores, but the nurseries which the landscapers use - are a good resource. Your local extension agent will know of trees and shrubs and what diseases are around: https://extension.purdue.edu/about/county-office.html.

SiteOne - siteone.com - is a national chain which has been buying up local nurseries; who knows those of us reading may be shareholders through our mutual funds. I have found them a good resource, good products and knowledge people.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
UM70

Post by UM70 »

Two online resources you might find helpful:

Numerous filters to aid selection:

https://woodyplants.cals.cornell.edu/home

Landscape plants rated by deer resistance:

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/deer-resistant-plants/
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Dogwood?
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
yolli71

Post by yolli71 »

I live in the Washington, D.C. area and was in a similar situation 6 or 7 years ago. The landscaper recommended I purchase European Hornbeams. I ended up purchasing 3 "Frans Fontaine" European Hornbeams.

These trees are awesome. They require zero maintenance (except the first year when you need to water them...just use gator bags...super easy). They can live in dry or wet settings. They don't attract pests. They can be in full or partial sun. They have a dense, hard bark that doesn't easily crack from winds and storms.

The roots grow downward and don't harm anything adjacent to them. Mine are about 20' tall now and are planted in a 3 foot area between my driveway and wood fence...no issues whatsoever. The tree grows mostly upward (not outward) so they can be planted in tight spaces. My landscaper said these trees are great for urban landscaping too. They are literally the perfect tree.

Fyi...they do not produce flowers, but the bark and the leaves are very pretty. They are usually one of the first trees in my neighborhood to start blooming in the spring and one of the last trees to lose their leaves in the winter.

Highly recommend this tree. If I could figure out how to attach photos of my trees on this website, I would do so...but that's always been difficult for me (for the Boglehead site).
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Kentucky Coffeetree. An Ohio Buckeye, Serviceberry, Gingko, Japanese Tree Lilac, Flowering Crabapple (many different varieties). They’re all good trees.
sevenseas

Post by sevenseas »

I would echo the previous recommendations to visit a reputable local nursery to ask their advice. Recommendations over the Internet from people in a similar USDA zone may be a place to get initial recommendations for you to research further yourself/ask about at the nursery. However, going to a local expert with detailed information including: 1) maximum height/width suitable for the space, 2) wet or dry conditions, 3) how close to house (not just for roots but also for falling branches), 4) local pests/diseases, 5) how high or low maintenance: pruning, branches, leaf cleanup, messy fruit, 6) native/good for wildlife, 7) four season interest: flowers? fruit for wildlife? autumn color? interesting winter branch structure?, 8) etc. is really the way to go to find the trees/shrubs that are the most suitable for your particular space and region.

I also agree that paying attention to what is currently growing well in your neighbors' yards (in similar conditions to your space) would be useful.

Good luck! There is nothing more enjoyable for me than plant shopping. :D
money2churn

Post by money2churn »

I don't live in your area of the country, so can't help with selection ideas. I would say that planting natives wherever possible is good for the rest of the natural world( pollenators, etc), require less maintenance(including watering) generally and are already well adapted to the area. A nursery specializing in native plants would be a good start. Good luck.
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

UM70 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 3:08 pm Two online resources you might find helpful:

Numerous filters to aid selection:

https://woodyplants.cals.cornell.edu/home

Landscape plants rated by deer resistance:

https://njaes.rutgers.edu/deer-resistant-plants/
Thanks for the deer resistant link. My landscaper recommended green giants (arborvitae) for privacy and when I came back to the vacation home after winter they were all eaten up. Turns out they are C and D on that list. I'm livid. Spent thousands on these things. Should've referenced some charts before I listened to a landscaper. OP - don't just listen to someone do research. I'd suggest lists like this, checking what the neighbors have (if it works next door, it'll likely work where you are, and asking the landscaper). Only when all 3 match would I pull the trigger.

On another note - anyone know if a tree or shrub eaten by deer will regrow over time? Or is that the end of em?
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
celia

Post by celia »

Julyguy754 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:00 pm Due to storm and disease damage I have to replace a tree and some shrubs. I live in NE Indiana zone 5b/6a. My landscape bed faces west and gets the full sun and also the wind when windy or stormy. I am getting too old to care for any trees/shrubs/bushes extensively. I also have clay soil for the most part. Indiana native would be good but not a necessity. I was thinking a River Birch until I heard how invasive the root systems are and they prefer moister ground. Would be too close to the house. A Redbud maybe but everyone has them and noticed some have died in the neighborhood. Love Blue Spruce but they don't grow well here and there are pest issues. Basically, looking for some low-maintenance trees/bushes, flowering would be great but not a deal breaker if not. Something hearty , tolerates heat and humidity and bug resistant. Oh, I have river rock not mulch for the ground cover.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I wanted to attach some pictures but not sure how to do that.
You did a good job of spelling out your needed criteria. Just add something about how much water the area gets if the sprinklers or drip system is automated. A printed photo of the area will also help (in case your phone battery dies).

If you want to attract birds or butterflies or wildlife or discourage deer, that can also be added.

If you want to avoid allergenic plants, include that too. The source to find out about allergies is

http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/

or

http://www.allergyfree-gardening.com/opals.html
(Start by checking if your local library has Allergy-Free Gardening. (I bought a new copy on eBay).

You might split the list up into MUST HAVEs, NICE TO HAVEs, and DON’T WANTs.
:beer
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Oak trees tend to have tap roots vs surface roots. We enjoy our River birches, but they do prefer wet conditions. Green Vase Zelkovas have upright branches and make good street trees.

I would definitively search “Indiana native trees” for guidance and think about sizing at least 10 - 20 years out. I also recommend considering the overall landscape for transitions from understory to larger trees (good for birds), and seasonality (what flowers, when).
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Consider choosing native plants as they are more likely to thrive in your area’s climate, rainfall, and soil conditions.

Also find out which native trees support the largest numbers of butterfly and moth caterpillars.

The National Wildlife Federation has a cool tool that will search by zip code to find plants that host the highest numbers of butterflies and moths to feed birds and other wildlife where you live.
Native Plant Finder
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
ironman

Post by ironman »

River birch grow well in Indiana but are a constant mess that I would avoid. Blue spruce are being wiped out by fungal disease in the Midwest, I have lost four so far. We replaced one of them with a Vander wolf pine, a beautiful blue hue needled conifer. Green giant arborvitae seem to grow well and fast! A native species of maple or oak is a good long-term bet for our soil.

I have to disagree with other posters who say a local independent nursery can give good advice. Our local nursery sells blue spruce and many other poor choices. When I asked them about this, their head tree person beat around the bush and showed very little knowledge of trees. Better to contact a certified arborist to get the answers you seek.
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

Thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate your time and information. I have made a list of some of your suggestions. I plan on visiting our local Purdue Extension Office which I have used numerous times in the past- not sure why I didn't think of them. We have the big box stores but have numerous nursery's in the area. I will also need to find out when the spring planting season is over and better to wait until the fall. My first task it to remove the stump from the dead Katsura tree. I did as much as I could. Finding a contractor to actually return phone calls or to follow through on what they say they will do. Not sure about you all in your area, but since the pandemic, contractors( all types, painters, landscapers, etc.) have been so difficult to work with.
Peace and gratitude to you all for your help. I'll keep you posted when I make some choices. Oh, has anyone used Fast Growing Trees .com or other companies that ship live plants/trees? Seem to get good reviews.
Julyguy754
UM70

Post by UM70 »

Julyguy754 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:20 pm ....companies that ship live plants/trees?....
Early this year I made my first online order and it was with NatureHills.com

There is a huge selection. It can be confusing trying to figure out what size the plants are. Here's a link to assessing their container sizes:

https://www.naturehills.com/blog/post/w ... iner-sizes

They are strict about shipping and will hold off until they assess the weather in your area AND the weather along the shipping route is tolerated by the plants you've selected. I ordered in February and got coral bells in April but am still waiting for astilbe and hosta. Spoke to a customer rep a week ago and they still weren't willing to ship.

The coral bells arrived via FedEx in a very sturdy cardboard box and are doing fine. No complaints.
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

Thanks, I have seen Nature Hills in my research. I may have even checked them out. Been to so many I can't remember them all. I'll give them another look. My sis has had good luck with mailed/shipped plants.
deikel

Post by deikel »

This might be unpopular:

Black Walnut. It's a beautiful tree that gets leafs late and looses them early (great for spring and fall sun to come to the house, but block summer sun). Its very hardy, needs no attention to speak of, grows fairly quickly. If old and mighty, they look quite stately IMO. The grass underneath grows beautifully, but they do not tolerate much other plants and will kill them off. Yes, every couple of years they have fruit and that get's a mess until you mow them over. It's a wonderful landscaping tree.

Eastern RedBud. Kind of a weed really, grows fast and hardy, little fuss. Grown as a bush, they are pretty in pink with huge leafs for sight blocking. work with Walnuts :-)
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

Thanks for your suggestion. If I plant a tree it has to be small as the location will be near the house. I also have river rock as the landscaping ground cover. So the Black Walnut sounds big, but I will check it out.
leeks

Post by leeks »

Here's a link for Indiana native plant sellers. They can probably advise you well.

https://indiananativeplants.org/landsca ... re-to-buy/
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

Thank you and others for the information and links you've supplied. I was thinking of a Viburmum , specifically a Burkwood to fill in the corner area.
Anyone have any experience with this bush or thoughts? Seems like a hearty, easy to care for plant.
Thanks,
Julyguy754
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

We have plants on the west side of our home, and we are in the basically the same landscape zone as you. The problem is the extreme afternoon sun/heat and the wind in the summer and the brutal winters. You will need to water in the summer just because of that hot sun and the never-ending wind.

Some of the low maintenance bushes we have, and love, which are on the northwest side (and north side) of our house are Korean boxwoods. They get lots of sun. They are small, non-flowering round bushes and are sloooowwww to grow. After several years, you can probably trim them up if you want. We have 6 of them, and they are one of the best landscaping bushes we've ever bought. Two of them are on the north side of the house, and those two have done well on the north side of the house probably due to shade (I don't think I've ever watered the ones on the north side, just the rain waters them). The ones on the northwest side we do water.

You could try and find some dwarf evergreen/spruce trees that wouldn't grow too large. We have some fir trees on the west side of our home that do well, but they are larger.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

I was going to recommend Purdue Extension. I know that NC State has extensive recommendations for native trees and shrubs for any space and soil type we have here in North Carolina.

Buckeyes, maples, and oaks are great suggestions for large canopy-size trees in that part of the country. It's too bad the ash borers are bad up there, as ash trees are fabulous canopy-growers, too.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Viburnum is a really nice plant; they grow like crazy once they are established so be sure you have the space or you will be doing a lot of pruning. But they have nice flowers in the spring and attractive foliage in the summer and fall.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

sperry8 wrote: Sun May 21, 2023 12:18 am
On another note - anyone know if a tree or shrub eaten by deer will regrow over time? Or is that the end of em?
The portions eaten by deer will likely never re-grow. It is very common to see arborvitaes with the foliage starting about 4 feet above the ground because the deer have eaten everything below that height. They should continue growing up above that height though, if there's anything left of them.
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

What about something like this? I used to live in Indiana and had friends that planted these.

https://www.arborvalleynursery.com/plan ... oneylocust
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

Thank you for your suggestion , but the Honeylocust tree, though really nice, is way to big for my space. I will keep looking and consider all these great suggestions everyone has given me,
Much appreciated
Julyguy723
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

How about a Strawberry Tree? They are super hardy and deer-tolerant. They grow slowly, so it would be more of a bush for a few years, and then would slowly turn into a small tree (if you want it to). You would just have to prune a couple lower branches out once a year. It can eventually get large, but it takes sooooo darn long for that to happen that it's pretty easy to keep it from happening.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

Glockenspiel wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 am
The portions eaten by deer will likely never re-grow. It is very common to see arborvitaes with the foliage starting about 4 feet above the ground because the deer have eaten everything below that height. They should continue growing up above that height though, if there's anything left of them.
So sad. Some gardeners said the same as you, 2 others said it may re-grow but not as full as before. Trying to decide if it's worth fencing for next winter.
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

A strawberry tree? Wow, that is a new one for me never heard of it but is intriguing . I'll have to look into it further. It made me think " strawberry fields forever". A strawberry Friday.
Thank you,
Julyguy754
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Julyguy754 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 4:14 pm A strawberry tree? Wow, that is a new one for me never heard of it but is intriguing . I'll have to look into it further. It made me think " strawberry fields forever". A strawberry Friday.
Thank you,
Julyguy754
Arbutus unedo.

It doesn't actually grow strawberries, but it does grow a weird round red/pink soft-spiked fruit that is edible (and can be jammed). It's a really pretty plant, evergreen, the flowers are super cute, and it's not messy. You don't really have to water it much once established. Just make sure it doesn't get directly hit by reflected light (like off windows).
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

sperry8 wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 3:48 pm
Glockenspiel wrote: Fri May 26, 2023 9:50 am
So sad. Some gardeners said the same as you, 2 others said it may re-grow but not as full as before. Trying to decide if it's worth fencing for next winter.
I am in an area with a heavy deer population. As the herds grew, neighbors stopped planting arborvitaes (and nurseries no longer include in their designs) due to extensive deer damage. They do not regrow if eaten beyond the green growth area of the branch. One neighbor left them up for 5 years hoping for regrow without success. The arborvitaes then became very top heavy and tended to bow down to the ground when weighted with snow.
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

I checked out the Strawberry Tree and it is cute, but doesn't grow in my growing zone, unless you're thinking of a certain variety. They also grow much bigger than I want for the corner space.
Thanks for sharing
Julyguy754
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Julyguy754 wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:41 pm Thank you and others for the information and links you've supplied. I was thinking of a Viburmum , specifically a Burkwood to fill in the corner area.
Anyone have any experience with this bush or thoughts? Seems like a hearty, easy to care for plant.
Thanks,
Julyguy754
I have several varieties of Viburnum including Burkwood. They are tough and easy to grow. The Burkwood like many varieties is easy to propane also by placing a brach on the ground and putting a brick over it. Here in VA it is deciduous, not evergreen or partially evergreen like some websites say. The roots spread near the surface, not terribly thick, but something to be aware of. Mine is exposed to the heat, wind and cold and is thriving. It will grow about one or two feet a year once established and mine is about 10' which is its maximum. It maintains a nice shape and I have never pruned mine.

Viburnum x pragense is another easy to grow which is better looking in the winter, holding on to more of its leaves, but by March it's ready for the warmth when it will really pop. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-vWYp5wv7o. In front of my viburnum pragense are liatris which also thrive on neglect once established - if looking for an easy native perennial:https://www.longfield-gardens.com/artic ... t-liatris/
There are a couple of viburnum websites. Here is one: https://www.classicviburnums.com/index. ... /index.htm
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Perhaps the Arbor Day Foundation can help you in your tree selection process:

Choosing the Right Tree

The Tree Guide

Best Tree Finder: Tree Wizard
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Julyguy754 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:00 pm Hello-
Due to storm and disease damage I have to replace a tree and some shrubs. I live in NE Indiana zone 5b/6a. My landscape bed faces west and gets the full sun and also the wind when windy or stormy. I am getting too old to care for any trees/shrubs/bushes extensively. I also have clay soil for the most part. Indiana native would be good but not a necessity. I was thinking a River Birch until I heard how invasive the root systems are and they prefer moister ground. Would be too close to the house. A Redbud maybe but everyone has them and noticed some have died in the neighborhood. Love Blue Spruce but they don't grow well here and there are pest issues. Basically, looking for some low-maintenance trees/bushes, flowering would be great but not a deal breaker if not. Something hearty , tolerates heat and humidity and bug resistant. Oh, I have river rock not mulch for the ground cover.
Thanks again,
Julyguy754
The Okame Ornamental Cherry Tree has similar dimensions to the Redbuds. As well as the Kwanzan Ornamental Cherry Tree. Although the dimensions of the Kwanzan are somewhat taller and wider. The springtime flowers on the Okame have 5 petals. The Kwanzan has flowers that resemble small carnations (20-30 petals).

Okame Cherry
Kwanzan Cherry
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

The Cherry trees look beautiful but probably too big for my corner area.
Thank you for your time and interest
Julyguy754
P. spinosa

Post by P. spinosa »

I am biased towards landscape plants that also bear good fruit.
Consider the shrub Nanking Cherry (Prunus tomentosa). More here: https://www.arborday.org/trees/treeguid ... ItemID=815.
minesweep

Post by minesweep »

Julyguy754 wrote: Fri May 19, 2023 1:00 pm Hello-
Due to storm and disease damage I have to replace a tree and some shrubs. My landscape bed faces west and gets the full sun and also the wind when windy or stormy. I am getting too old to care for any trees/shrubs/bushes extensively.
All of these are maintenance free (slow growers too).

Dwarf Alberta Spruce

Dwarf Hinoki Cypress

Slender Hinoki Cypress Tree

P.S. Not affiliated with any of the growers at the above links.
jm1495

Post by jm1495 »

Neighbors here planted a weeping redbud that looks interesting and is compact.
Topic Author
Julyguy754

Post by Julyguy754 »

Thanks again for the information and more links to check out.
Much appreciated as always!
Julyguy754