Auto Insurance Experts -- Should I make a claim?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ArthurDigbySellers

Auto Insurance Experts -- Should I make a claim?

Post by ArthurDigbySellers »

A car recently swiped my bumper while trying to pull head-first into the parking spot in front of me. My car was parked and unattended at the time. It was clearly the other driver's fault. The damage is mostly cosmetic, though my front bumper is a little misaligned now. The car is ~8 years old, but still in very, very good condition otherwise. I plan to keep driving it for at least a couple more years, maybe longer.

I have never had to make an auto claim before and I don't want to do anything that might possibly adversely affect my insurance premiums in the future. I've received conflicting advice about whether making a claim in these circumstances could affect my rates. So what say you insurance experts? Is there any reason to fear rising rates if I submit a claim to have the bumper fixed?

If not, should I contact the other driver's insurance company directly?

TIA
samsoes

Re: Auto Insurance Experts -- Should I make a claim?

Post by samsoes »

Make a claim. That's why you pay for insurance. It's not your fault. Never, ever deal with the other person's insurance directly. They are not your friend.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Sure, make a claim. It was not your fault.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Make a claim. Your rates will do nothing.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

If you make a claim, you might get barely more than your deductible. And have a claim on your record. Do not make a claim. Insurance is for major unaffordable losses.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

samsoes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:51 pm Make a claim. That's why you pay for insurance. It's not your fault. Never, ever deal with the other person's insurance directly. They are not your friend.
Respectfully, this is the worst possible advice. You pay for insurance to cover major losses. Making a claim that might net you a small amount over the deductible is just terrible. Small claims kill your insurability. You don't seem to realize insurers track claims history.
LeftCoastIV

Post by LeftCoastIV »

One of our vehicles was hit recently, with the other driver at fault. We worked directly with *his* insurance for the claim, rather than filing a claim with our insurance. I contacted our insurance broker (not our actual insurance) to get their guidance as well.
260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb »

Chardo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:01 pm If you make a claim, you might get barely more than your deductible. And have a claim on your record. Do not make a claim. Insurance is for major unaffordable losses.
I'm not clear on this. You have an at fault driver that is not the OP. This claim will not be on his insurance but instead on the driver who did the damage. Yes?
Topic Author
ArthurDigbySellers

Post by ArthurDigbySellers »

Aha! So I see the conflicting advice is not just unique to my trusted circle of friends and family! I'm not sure if that is comforting or not.
260chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:11 pm
Chardo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:01 pm If you make a claim, you might get barely more than your deductible. And have a claim on your record. Do not make a claim. Insurance is for major unaffordable losses.
I'm not clear on this. You have an at fault driver that is not the OP. This claim will not be on his insurance but instead on the driver who did the damage. Yes?
I need a little clarification on this, as well. I understand (as stated elsewhere in the thread) that insurers track my claim history and that claim history can adversely impact my insurance rates. What I'm trying to determine is whether that risk exists if i was clearly not at fault -- i.e., my car was legally parked and an inattentive driver swiped the bumper. It doesn't seem like it should, but I'm having a hard time getting consensus on that question.

Thanks, all, for weighing in.
alexp

Post by alexp »

Generally any claim filed on your insurance irrespective of your fault would affect insurance premiums. Did you get insurance information of the other driver? That driver’s liability insurance should cover your damage.

If the other driver agreed to his/her fault and provided you their insurance information, I would start by calling their insurance to open a claim. If you get into an issue, then involve your insurance. If you get into a situation where the insurance of the at-fault driver isn’t paying you, it might be better to self-pay instead of using your insurance as the damage is small (assuming based on your post).
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Chardo wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:04 pm
samsoes wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 5:51 pm Make a claim. That's why you pay for insurance. It's not your fault. Never, ever deal with the other person's insurance directly. They are not your friend.
Respectfully, this is the worst possible advice. You pay for insurance to cover major losses. Making a claim that might net you a small amount over the deductible is just terrible. Small claims kill your insurability. You don't seem to realize insurers track claims history.
Respectfully, I disagree. I'm sure the OP will be shocked at the cost of the repair. That's what insurance is for.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
talzara

Post by talzara »

260chrisb wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:11 pm I'm not clear on this. You have an at fault driver that is not the OP. This claim will not be on his insurance but instead on the driver who did the damage. Yes?
The OP asked two questions: whether to file a claim at all, and whether to file against the other driver's insurance.

If the OP files a liability claim against the other driver's insurance, there will only be one claim.

If the OP files a collision claim, there will be two claims. There will be a collision claim on the OP's own record, and there will be a liability claim on the other driver's record.
ArthurDigbySellers wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:23 pm Aha! So I see the conflicting advice is not just unique to my trusted circle of friends and family! I'm not sure if that is comforting or not.
It depends on the state. In some states, your premium will not go up if you are not at fault. In other states, your premium could go up even if you are not at fault.

It also depends on the insurer. Even when it is legal to increase your premium, not every insurance company does it.

Some companies offer claim forgiveness. Even when it would've increased your premium, you may not pay an increased premium. However, claim forgiveness sometimes only applies if you have one claim. If you file a second claim, then your first claim will no longer be forgiven.

Most insurance companies do not increase your premium if they were able to subrogate your claim. However, if you switch to a different insurer, you may still be charged for the claim. The CLUE database has a flag for subrogated claims, but not every company reports the data, and not every company pulls the subrogation data from CLUE.

That's why it is so hard to answer your question. There are too many variables. Many people are not aware of these variables, so they will confidently tell you one answer, even though it only applies to one insurance company in one state.

One thing that is always safe is to file against the other driver's insurance. You will never get charged for a liability claim on another driver's insurance.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

Ask the driver who hit you to send you a check for the repair estimate. No insurance involved so a win-win for both parties. Then take the check and invest it. I wouldn't bother repairing cosmetic damage on an 8 year old car.
twh

Post by twh »

knightrider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:55 pm Ask the driver who hit you to send you a check for the repair estimate. No insurance involved so a win-win for both parties. Then take the check and invest it. I wouldn't bother repairing cosmetic damage on an 8 year old car.
THIS...if you know who did this, why would you not contact their insurance company and get it fixed? Now, if you didn't and you wanted it fixed under your own uninsured motorist, that could affect your claims history and I would weigh the actual repair cost against the filing the claim. But, if you have the other person's information, you should do that.
knightrider

Post by knightrider »

twh wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:03 pm
knightrider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:55 pm Ask the driver who hit you to send you a check for the repair estimate. No insurance involved so a win-win for both parties. Then take the check and invest it. I wouldn't bother repairing cosmetic damage on an 8 year old car.
THIS...if you know who did this, why would you not contact their insurance company and get it fixed?
I am saying to contact the at-fault person directly, not their insurance company... Assuming of course you got this information..
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

knightrider wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:13 pm
twh wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:03 pm
THIS...if you know who did this, why would you not contact their insurance company and get it fixed?
I am saying to contact the at-fault person directly, not their insurance company... Assuming of course you got this information..
Not talking to people who hit my car is the #1 reason I have auto insurance. People can be flaky, block your number, not follow through on their commitments, etc.