Breaking up with a financial advisor

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
HanSolo

Re: Breaking up with a financial advisor

Post by HanSolo »

bshnew wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:25 pm Any thoughts or advice on how to proceed?
Just tell them you decided to go with a different provider. If you sincerely appreciate their help over the years, you might say something to that effect.

If they're your friend, they'll thank you for your business and wish you well. If they're not your friend, they'll question your decision or try to pressure you into doing something other than what you already know you want.

It's funny that we never see posts from financial advisors asking, "some of my clients are friends, and sometimes they leave, and I'd like to maintain the friendship after they leave, not for any business purpose, just want to keep the friendship... what's the best way to continue the friendship and allow them to feel comfortable with that?"

Those of you who are financial advisors, have you ever seen articles in trade publications to help with that question?

I didn't think so!
Strategic Macro Senior (top 1%, 2019 Bogleheads Contest)
Longdog

Post by Longdog »

HanSolo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:09 pm
bshnew wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:25 pm Any thoughts or advice on how to proceed?
It's funny that we never see posts from financial advisors asking, "some of my clients are friends, and sometimes they leave, and I'd like to maintain the friendship after they leave, not for any business purpose, just want to keep the friendship... what's the best way to continue the friendship and allow them to feel comfortable with that?"
Or, "For ethical purposes I've decided to change my business model so that I do not to do business with friends. I don't want to risk losing their friendship if an investment strategy I recommend doesn't work out to their benefit. How do I politely drop my clients who are also friends, in such a way that we can still maintain our deep friendship?"
Steve
NateH

Post by NateH »

kelway wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:07 pm
bshnew wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:25 pm Hello,

My goal for 2023 is to part with my financial advisor, who chargers a whopping 1.7%. I know; please don't scold me! The sticky situation is that he's a good family friend, and I worry that this purely business decision will impact the friendship. After self-study, I feel completely capable of managing my finances on my own. Any thoughts or advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Brooke
I'm sorry, but he's not your friend.
and he's already been paid for his services. No reason for OP to feel bad.
4X top-twenty S&P 500 prognosticator. I'd start a newsletter, but it would only have one issue per year. | dumb investor during 1999 tech bubble, current slice & dicer.
3funder

Post by 3funder »

Just thank this person for his/her services and let him/her know that you now feel comfortable managing your investments on your own. No need to get any deeper into the weeds. It's a respectful and honest way of breaking up.
Global stocks, US bonds, and time.
Topic Author
bshnew

Post by bshnew »

Wow. You have all been so helpful. I’m so glad I joined the forum. Thanks again!
BitTooAggressive

Post by BitTooAggressive »

My goal for 2023 is to part with my financial advisor, who chargers a whopping 1.7%. I know; please don't scold me! The sticky situation is that he's a good family friend, and I worry that this purely business decision will impact the friendship. After self-study, I feel completely capable of managing my finances on my own. Any thoughts or advice on how to proceed?

Thanks,
Brooke
1.7%??? How about you are fired you thief? Sorry you don’t rip off friends. You don’t cheat family or friends… doubt they ever were your friend.
BitTooAggressive

Kookaburra wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:30 pm

Thanks,
Brooke
If he is charging you 1.7%, he is not really your friend. Just masquerading as a friend to keep his 1.7% passive gravy train rolling. Do you like knowing your “friend” is knowingly taking advantage of you?
Exactly, it’s really laughable. Sorry but that’s the brutal truth. You might as well say they are having an affair with your spouse and are afraid to tell them to stop because it might hurt the friendship. :mrgreen:
Kookaburra

Post by Kookaburra »

bshnew wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:43 pm Wow. You have all been so helpful. I’m so glad I joined the forum. Thanks again!
Let us know what you decide to do. And if you still consider them your friend.
Johny Fever

Post by Johny Fever »

I took ours advisor out to lunch. I told her to her face that her service and work had been appreciated but after careful consideration we had decide to make a change going forward. I said honestly I think your company is a good company and you are a solid but this lunch is one me and I wish you nothing but the best in your business. She had us in 30 odd funds and we were able to get that back under control in about a month with 4 ETFs and a few stocks that we still hold due to the gains in them.

I got a very nice email from her a few days later and she said if we ran into any issues with the moves or tax time to let her know and she would be more than happy to help us. I gotta believe she was not shocked to be honest. Again...nothing wrong with or her company, they charged us a fee that we had agreed to pay for the services they gave us. No more service, no more fee.

Good luck to you and dont look back.
Topic Author
bshnew

Post by bshnew »

I did it! As a courtesy, I'll call my financial advisor to deliver the news that I'm ready to manage my investments solo. The de-linking process is already in the works at Schwab.

Boy, do I feel better. Thanks to all of you for your input and support.

Brooke
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

bshnew wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:14 am I did it! As a courtesy, I'll call my financial advisor to deliver the news that I'm ready to manage my investments solo. The de-linking process is already in the works at Schwab.

Brooke
:beer
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Johny Fever wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:23 pm I took ours advisor out to lunch. I told her to her face that her service and work had been appreciated but after careful consideration we had decide to make a change going forward. I said honestly I think your company is a good company and you are a solid but this lunch is one me and I wish you nothing but the best in your business. She had us in 30 odd funds and we were able to get that back under control in about a month with 4 ETFs and a few stocks that we still hold due to the gains in them.

I got a very nice email from her a few days later and she said if we ran into any issues with the moves or tax time to let her know and she would be more than happy to help us. I gotta believe she was not shocked to be honest. Again...nothing wrong with or her company, they charged us a fee that we had agreed to pay for the services they gave us. No more service, no more fee.

That was a nice way to handle the situation, and glad it seemingly turned out well.
BitTooAggressive

bshnew wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:14 am I did it! As a courtesy, I'll call my financial advisor to deliver the news that I'm ready to manage my investments solo. The de-linking process is already in the works at Schwab.

Brooke
Glad it worked out for you. You are a much more forgiving person than I am. It’s true that you agreed to 1.7% but just because I can get someone to agree to something does not mean I should.

But again good luck and thumbs up to you for taking the high road.
Johny Fever

Post by Johny Fever »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:47 am
Johny Fever wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:23 pm I took ours advisor out to lunch. I told her to her face that her service and work had been appreciated but after careful consideration we had decide to make a change going forward. I said honestly I think your company is a good company and you are a solid but this lunch is one me and I wish you nothing but the best in your business. She had us in 30 odd funds and we were able to get that back under control in about a month with 4 ETFs and a few stocks that we still hold due to the gains in them.

That was a nice way to handle the situation, and glad it seemingly turned out well.
well there was the horse head in the bed the next day but i am sure that was just an accident..LOL...actually I dont harbor any ill feelings about our old advisor. Did we spend some many we didnt need to? I am sure we did...but when the fees are discussed up and we both agree I dont think the advisor is a crook or ripping you off...I quote a fee to fix your car and if we both agree then its a deal...no different with these advisors or brokers in my mind...
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Johny Fever wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm

well there was the horse head in the bed the next day but i am sure that was just an accident..LOL...actually I dont harbor any ill feelings about our old advisor. Did we spend some many we didnt need to? I am sure we did...but when the fees are discussed up and we both agree I dont think the advisor is a crook or ripping you off...I quote a fee to fix your car and if we both agree then its a deal...no different with these advisors or brokers in my mind...
Sometimes there's way too much protesting here about certain businesses having predatory practices, when really just ordinary business practices are involved. Lots of us have been involved in one way or another with products or services that might not be the very best possible deal for a consumer, but some industries get beaten up for that more than others.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Maybe try the It's-not-you-it's-me strategy. :happy
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Delete duplicate.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

pkcrafter wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:19 pm Brooke, just tell your advisor/friend that you have studied up on investing and you are going to do it yourself from now on. Thank him for his his help and move on. Don't get into any further discussion. 1.7% is a very high ongoing fee for any advisor, especially one you have connections with.

Paul
I was told this many years ago by a salesman.
"If you can't screw your friends, who can you screw?"
ROIGuy

Post by ROIGuy »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:20 pm
Johny Fever wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 1:35 pm

Sometimes there's way too much protesting here about certain businesses having predatory practices, when really just ordinary business practices are involved. Lots of us have been involved in one way or another with products or services that might not be the very best possible deal for a consumer, but some industries get beaten up for that more than others.
Aside from the long term erosion of one's savings by excess fees, I think one of the biggest issues is the lack of transparency by advisors when it comes to letting a client know the effects of fees on their savings. I know most people would say that is the clients fault for not investigating the cost of fees/AUM's on one's investments, and they would be right. But it is a bit deceptive the way that aspect of business is conducted. There is a reason advisors do not send a quarterly or yearly bill to clients for their fees. Most clients would drop the advisor if they had any clue what 1-2% fees were actually costing them per year. I've wondered what an advisor would say if a person told them they wanted to pay them directly every quarter instead of them taking the fees out of their accounts?
Bikes4life

Post by Bikes4life »

I am at 1% as well on my roth IRA only. Unless I am missing something else too, I can see the management fee listed on some of the reports in my broker website. Has averaged $1450 yr.

Congrats on getting it done! I need to do mine.
Being their landlord just making it super awkward
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Mr.BB wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:23 pm Aside from the long term erosion of one's savings by excess fees, I think one of the biggest issues is the lack of transparency by advisors when it comes to letting a client know the effects of fees on their savings. I know most people would say that is the clients fault for not investigating the cost of fees/AUM's on one's investments, and they would be right. But it is a bit deceptive the way that aspect of business is conducted. There is a reason advisors do not send a quarterly or yearly bill to clients for their fees. Most clients would drop the advisor if they had any clue what 1-2% fees were actually costing them per year. I've wondered what an advisor would say if a person told them they wanted to pay them directly every quarter instead of them taking the fees out of their accounts?
Some people might, but you're assuming that people would find their way to ETFs or mutual funds or whatever - a roughly equivalent, but maybe lower-cost portfolio - if they didn't have an adviser. In fact they might have spent years and years in near-zero-percent bank accounts. So really what you're saying isn't just that they don't disclose their fees, it's that they don't also disclose that similar products are available and relatively easy to buy at lower cost. There has to be a limit to required disclosure at some point. When a client looks at their portfolio after a few years and sees it's up by $50k and they've paid $20k in fees on that, are they really going to wish they'd been in a near-zero-percent bank account instead?

Of course lately when they see their investments have lost money, probably some percentage will indeed dump their advisers - but not necessarily for Boglehead-approved investments.
Topic Author
bshnew

Post by bshnew »

My advisor helped me get my financial house in order, and that’s huge. He was also my mother’s advisor in the later years of her life. I don’t like the idea of her losing 1.7%, either, but once it became clear that she had Alzheimer’s, I was relieved to have a professional’s help.

Schwab says it takes 48 hours to de-link one’s accounts from the advisor, so the hemorrhage will soon stop!

By the by, I think I’ve read on this forum that I’ll no longer be able to purchase more shares of my DFA funds, but that I’ll be able to reinvest dividends. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thanks!
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Kookaburra wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:30 pm

Thanks,
Brooke
If he is charging you 1.7%, he is not really your friend. Just masquerading as a friend to keep his 1.7% passive gravy train rolling. Do you like knowing your “friend” is knowingly taking advantage of you?
This…the greed is strong with this one.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

NavyIC3 wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 3:06 pm I was told this many years ago by a salesman.
"If you can't screw your friends, who can you screw?"
Classic!
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

bshnew wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:38 am My advisor helped me get my financial house in order, and that’s huge. He was also my mother’s advisor in the later years of her life. I don’t like the idea of her losing 1.7%, either, but once it became clear that she had Alzheimer’s, I was relieved to have a professional’s help.

Schwab says it takes 48 hours to de-link one’s accounts from the advisor, so the hemorrhage will soon stop!

By the by, I think I’ve read on this forum that I’ll no longer be able to purchase more shares of my DFA funds, but that I’ll be able to reinvest dividends. Can anyone weigh in on this?

Thanks!
One call does it all … send them packing with their 1.7% thievery.

My understanding is if you have a DFA fund you can reinvest the dividends … private investors can buy DFA ETF’s but not mutual funds.

If there are no tax considerations I’d consider moving from DFA funds to vanguard funds to avoid the higher expense ratios.

Congrats !
rich126

Post by rich126 »

I'm sure some people will say I'm difficult at times but the OP in this thread is why I avoid using friends or family for most anything that involves money. Whether it is legal, financial, real estate, etc. I go elsewhere. At times maybe it costs me money but at least I avoid having to fire or sue family or friends.

I frequently hear people say the "my adviser is a good friend and I wouldn't want to harm relations". Instead you'd want to give away money?

I use a CPA to do my taxes but he has a financial investment company also but there is no way I'd pay the fees to use them for that and he doesn't bring up that topic.

Firing people can be awkward and I don't like to do that but I have with several real estate agents years ago, one home repair person and a few others once you realize they aren't doing a good job or are on a different page than you are.

Of course despite not having any kind of friendship involvment many of us do this in other ways like with insurance companies, cell phone providers, etc. where inertia, laziness or just dealing with the hassle of canceling a service and starting another one we put off since we just don't want to deal with it despite possibly saving a lot of money. I finally got around to switching cell phone providers and so far it has been a breeze, I keep waiting for the big headache to occur, and it still might, but so far it hasn't.
----------------------------- | If you think something is important and it doesn't involve the health of someone, think again. Life goes too fast, enjoy it and be nice.
Mr. Potter

Post by Mr. Potter »

40 years ago if you wanted to buy into the stock market you had to go through an advisor/broker. Things have changed dramatically, now it’s super easy to DIY. My advice is be gentle, humble, kind and firm. Remember for every person that’s a diyer there’s a whole lot more that would rather hire someone to just take care of their money. Pretty much anyone over 50 has gone through this process.
Good luck
hnd

Post by hnd »

I think the biggest shocker to me is that often its just about how the advisor has been taught to do things. and thats all they know. They don't understand the alternatives. they are taught to guffaw at them. why wouldnt' you be in 30 funds!?

I know a number of advisors but the one i'm probably the closest with I met a number of years ago. We met at a golf outing through a mutual friend and now we do a number of fundraiser charity events fairly regularly and have a lot of time to talk. we have all sorts of conversations on mutual funds, etfs, stocks, the market, portfolio construction and he's basically like I don't know anything about this product or that. He only really had a wrong super simplified idea of what index investing or "bogleheading" entailed. Never seen a SPIVA report. He just knew he needed clients and these were the products they should be in. His mentor and the managing partner of the firm really only /knew/knows American Funds and he's been doing this for 40 years. he doesn't deal with anything else. and he's built a large client base with lots of happy customers who don't know any better and in truth neither does he!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

hnd wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:26 am I know a number of advisors but the one i'm probably the closest with I met a number of years ago. We met at a golf outing through a mutual friend and now we do a number of fundraiser charity events fairly regularly and have a lot of time to talk. we have all sorts of conversations on mutual funds, etfs, stocks, the market, portfolio construction and he's basically like I don't know anything about this product or that. He only really had a wrong super simplified idea of what index investing or "bogleheading" entailed. Never seen a SPIVA report. He just knew he needed clients and these were the products they should be in. His mentor and the managing partner of the firm really only /knew/knows American Funds and he's been doing this for 40 years. he doesn't deal with anything else. and he's built a large client base with lots of happy customers who don't know any better and in truth neither does he!
So, in other words, your advisor friend is not “evil”.

He is just totally uninformed, misinformed, and a glad-handing salesman at heart.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
hnd

Post by hnd »

Stinky wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:37 am
hnd wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:26 am I know a number of advisors but the one i'm probably the closest with I met a number of years ago. We met at a golf outing through a mutual friend and now we do a number of fundraiser charity events fairly regularly and have a lot of time to talk. we have all sorts of conversations on mutual funds, etfs, stocks, the market, portfolio construction and he's basically like I don't know anything about this product or that. He only really had a wrong super simplified idea of what index investing or "bogleheading" entailed. Never seen a SPIVA report. He just knew he needed clients and these were the products they should be in. His mentor and the managing partner of the firm really only /knew/knows American Funds and he's been doing this for 40 years. he doesn't deal with anything else. and he's built a large client base with lots of happy customers who don't know any better and in truth neither does he!

He is just totally uninformed, misinformed, and a glad-handing salesman at heart.
he was hired to sell Capital Group mutual funds within the bounds of his fiduciary responsibility and effectively thats what he does. I sell legal software. I think my software is the best option for most firms. I know of the alternatives. I know enough about them (mostly the bad parts) to reasonably speak about them to an extent. I would probably then fit a similar descriptor you have laid out. But in the scope of a 40 hour work week, I know what is required of me and the best way to go about it. and its not to know every single option on the table in complete detail. I know what I and our product brings to the table. I lay it out and if people don't want it, they don't have to buy it. Its on me to be as truthful as possible and up to them to do their due diligence via features and price.

My original point is we expect that these people (advisors) know every alternative to their methodology. often they make it seem like they do but most often they know there are other options but they have been taught their option is the best and given all the reasons why that is and to not even consider other options. Most clients and advisors believe the pricing is optimal, and most clients believe their advisor spends their time pouring over the markets and investment option landscape. When it could really be further than the truth.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Stinky wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:37 am

Yes

Uniformed, misinformed, and glad handling salesmen are no doubt the happiest salesmen.

They just don’t have the happiest customers!
student

Post by student »

Brooke
Congratulations.