Vacation ideas with under 2 toddler

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jags4186

Vacation ideas with under 2 toddler

Post by Jags4186 »

My wife and I are desperate to go on vacation. The last trip we did was in February 2020. Since then we’ve had a little guy who is closing in on 20 months age.

I wanted to find out from folks if they had any suggestions for trips. At first thought I was thinking all inclusive resort that had some sort of childcare element so we could get a little break. Does anyone know of any of these? I have a significant stash of IHG and Hyatt points so would like to stay in this network if possible.

Also, any tips on traveling with a 2 year old? Every time I travel for work and see a family with stroller/car seat/luggage etc at the airport and I get anxiety.
Nowizard

Re: Vacation ideas with under 2 toddler

Post by Nowizard »

From experience with our children and grandchildren, history says in our family driving is easier than flying if a reasonable distance to the vacation point and you have a vehicle that carries items you need. Beach has been the default option.

Tim
EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt »

Anything that allows you to not need to watch the kid. Maybe even just hiring a nanny for 1 week while mom and dad have a staycation could be the answer. You two need a break. Consider hiring some help for the week. Get temporary access to a gym with a spa. Get massages. Stay out late for date nights. That’s what we did when we were in your shoes and it was wonderful.
A time to EVALUATE your jitters: | viewtopic.php?p=1139732#p1139732
epargnant

Post by epargnant »

The most relaxing vacations with small children have included grandparents or other family members who can help with childcare & even let us go out by ourselves one or two nights.

Whether beach or mountain or touristy, getting something with a kitchen, space to relax, and a bedroom with a door was key. No-one wants to eat out all meals with a toddler (unless yours is exceptionally well behaved).

Wherever you go plan for busy mornings followed by an afternoon rest. Keeping one nap going during vacation keeps everyone happier :) This also gives one parent time to go explore solo.

Edited to add: agree with above poster that car trips are easiest. You can throw in the stroller, pack n play, booster for meals, favorite toys, etc without space constraints.
Last edited by epargnant on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

We took trips with our children when they were that young, but never flew. We would have driven to our destination. I'm sure we did this because, as you mention, there are a lot of items you need when traveling with a toddler, and it's just easier to pack the car than to try and put everything in a suitcase on a plane. We did not use the childcare options at any hotel, so can't answer any questions as to what that is like.

I remember one flight we were on many years ago (our children were older) where the mom had to "chase" her toddler son up and down the aisle because he simply would not sit down. Finally, he did sit down, but with another family that was sitting behind us. :happy He was pretty calm the rest of the flight--that was an overseas flight also.

Also, some of my husband's relatives went on a camping trip when their son was 3 weeks old. I remember thinking---oh my! But they had a very enjoyable time.

I guess my suggestion to you would be to take a vacation that is within a certain radius of where you live and drive. Look at staying at the hotels you mention and see what activities (like children's museums, theme parks, etc.) would appeal to you and your child.
z06ray

Post by z06ray »

We just did it with a 2 year old and 9 month old. It helped that we met family while on vacation. Great for evenings but not so much early morning :).

We are doing it again in a week and a half. Both times flying. Not end of world. Of course it's a lot. But that's the tradeofff
Volando

Post by Volando »

We've never used child care at any destination so I can't speak to the pros and cons of that. We have traveled with my Mom and that has usually helped from a "child care" perspective to give us some extra free time. In our experience traveling with a 2 year old can be stressful but there's things you can do to mitigate the stress. Here's a few things that we found helpful.

1) Bring healthy snacks.
2) You can find lots of little activities that can be purchased fairly cheaply (coloring books, "water" coloring books, stickers, etc.). Bring these along but pace yourself so that there's always something "new" to bring out when they get bored. Sometimes just the experience of traveling and doing something new is enough to entertain them for awhile. Saving them for plane rides, in particular, may help prevent a crying kid on the plane. We tried to avoid screens at that age but during travel we usually had a few simple/free apps they could entertain themselves with if all else failed.
3) Be flexible and try to plan breaks so that they don't get over-stimulated/over-tired. This is usually the downfall of any plan with little ones. Try to plan any travel at points where they would already be napping, if they take naps. Otherwise, just remember to set aside down time for them.
4) Don't overschedule! It could make you feel like you're letting yourself down because you don't get to do everything you planned and it also feeds into point # 3.

Those are some things that have helped us smooth out travel with our kids. Overall, we have found that beaches are a good destination for little ones but it depends on what you, as a family, find interesting. The benefit of beaches is that one person can relax while the other plays/watches with the child. They can usually be entertained for a long time just playing with sand and sand toys or walking with parents by the water. There's a lot of beaches in this country so even if you aren't crazy about them you can usually find some with interesting things to do in the area.
Last edited by Volando on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Car seats and strollers can be checked for free. I would recommend a cheapo stroller that you might even leave at the destination. Alternatively we have one that folds down to fit in the overhead which is great to use all the way through the terminals. Don’t forget where are they going to sleep. Other tips: pack light. Start with a short trip like 1 or 2 nights driving distance just to get a feel for what you need and don’t. Learn to accept that things won’t go to plan, probably not even well, but a disaster in a fun location can be good enough:)

If simply seeing others doing it gives you anxiety then maybe it’s not for you.
flyfishers83

Post by flyfishers83 »

We tend to rent houses while on vacation so the kids can be in a separate room. Our kids love the water, so houses with a pool was all day fun without needing to leave. When we have stayed in hotels, we’ve looked for a multi room suite whenever possible.

If you just want to get away, that’s pretty easy. If there are significant activities/attractions that you want to experience, that gets more tricky.

As for travel, with one it was very easy for us. Traveling with two that were under 3 was more challenging. We got a cheap, lightweight car seat that fit the airplane seats, and both of our kids had their own seat. We also bought cheap small folding strollers that we took only on trips.

Best advice is be cool, man. Things happen. Getting frustrated only makes it worse. On our last flight, we had multiple delays, so entertained the kids in the airport for a number of hours. That led to a mad dash through the airport in Atlanta to make our connection in like 11 minutes. If you can’t laugh about it, it would be miserable.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Beach. Preferably warm beach. Any sand. Watch your kid have fun for hours. Miss those early days!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Galaxy8

Post by Galaxy8 »

I have the opposite opinion of the first few posters regarding travel modality.

My almost 2 year old cannot travel long distances in a car seat. We get about an hour of reasonable sitting in a carseat before he loses his mind. However, plane trips are not an issue because he can bounce around most of the time. We've taken >10 flights and gone as long as a 4 hour flight. Regardless of the time of day, he usually naps 1-2 hours on the flight. We're planning an international flight with longest segment of 9 hours, including a redeye with him later this year. This will be against the typical opinions of this forum, but even for a child under 2, buy them a seat. Having an entire row is massively easier than sitting in a row with a stranger.

About taken items on a plane, it's not as difficult as you might think. We use the following:
1) This crib/pack-and-play fits in the top part of a large suitcase. The structure takes up the whole top, but there is empty volume inside the crib when folded such that I can usually fit all of my clothes within the folded crib. https://www.amazon.com/Dream-Me-Travel- ... deae8f9840
2) This stroller folds up small enough to fit under the seat on a plane: https://gb-online.com/en-us/strollers/p ... ll-terrain
3) Take your carseat and puchase a cheap carseat travel bag from amazon. It's free to check it. As a bonus, we usually throw a bag of diapers and wipes in the seat as extra checked luggage space.

Regarding what to do on the vacation, we've found it to be a mistake to try to plan an activity filled vacation. Better to book a nice accommodation in a nice location and just enjoy being in another place for a while.
Last edited by Galaxy8 on Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nutella

Post by Nutella »

Beach or pool. Sticky tape, dollar store stickers, little toys to open and maintain kid entertained on the plane. We have tried Grand Velas (pricey but worth it to us). They have a great kids club and nanny services. If the child's bedtime is reliable, you can have the nanny watch the child while sleeping and you can have a nice dinner/date.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Go camping in a national forest.
Arabesque

Post by Arabesque »

When my eldest was about to turn two and stop being a lap baby, I flew from Philadelphia to see friends in Seattle. I rented a car, drove up and spent a day or two with friends in Vancouver, and then took the ferry to Victoria, Vancouver island. We stayed in a rather funky B&B, full of hippies. One of the other visitors was a single woman from New Zealand. Together, we took a bit of a road trip on the island and did some hiking and wading with a toddler.
We took the ferry back to Seattle and flew out all before she turned 24 months.

Another trip that I did with only slightly older children, still preschool, is Washington DC. There’s lots of outdoor things to see, including the national zoo. 20 months is a little young for the zoo, but the space is child friendly. Many of the other free museums are child friendly too.

Not all children travel well, but if yours is a bit of a sport, there are many things you can do. Hotel have babysitters who are carefully vetted. I never hesitated to use them, and was never disappointed. Many seem to want to be Mary Poppins stand-ins, coming with great carpet bags of toys.
Glockenspiel

Post by Glockenspiel »

Two is getting into a better age for airplane flights. I found 6 months to 18 months being the WORST time to take a flight. It would help tremendously if you have parents or relatives to meet at the destination that would enjoy spending time with their grandkids.

Bring stroller and car seat and gate check both of them. Relaxing beach vacation. They’ll be too scared to go too far into the water but will have tons of fun digging in the sand.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

find a resort within 2 hrs of home. Or, camp!! Rent an RV, or grab a tent and supplies. We tent camped and water skiied with our now 44 yr old son from the time he was 2 (and later a sister). Or, leave him at home with family and go for a short trip.
Oakdale19

Post by Oakdale19 »

Hello,

Three little ones under five. We’ve traveled extensively with the first two. More than 8, six hour flights and a couple trans Atlantic flights.

A few questions that will help us help you
1) Where are you located (state or at least closest airports)? It’ll help us make suggestions.
2) how many days are you hoping to be away?
3) what do you and your spouse like to do? Camp, beach, mountains, cheap eats, fine dining, people watching.
Have fun and enjoy planning!
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Oakdale19 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:39 am Hello,

Three little ones under five. We’ve traveled extensively with the first two. More than 8, six hour flights and a couple trans Atlantic flights.

1) Where are you located (state or at least closest airports)? It’ll help us make suggestions.
3) what do you and your spouse like to do? Camp, beach, mountains, cheap eats, fine dining, people watching.
1) We live in NJ about 25 minutes from EWR.
2) I would say 4-5 nights probably would be the limit
3) We like beach/fine dining/pool/lounging. We of course enjoy trips to Europe/sight seeing, but I just don't see that in the cards with our current 19 month old. Figure by the time we figure it all out he'll be closer to 2

I have no problem going down the shore, but my wife doesn't consider going to the Jersey shore a "vacation". Tough for me TBH, as that to me is the easiest possible path. I've been trying to convince her that it doesn't make a ton of sense to pay to go to Florida, Mexico, or the Caribbean with a little kid when we can't do any of the stuff we want. I just have no interest paying $$$$ to be tethered to a hotel room from 7:30PM on.
artpennypacker

Post by artpennypacker »

I have a 4 year old and a 1.5 year old.

We fly to go to FL panhandle and to in laws house in TN multiple times a year. Direct flights are key. In most cases you either get there or you don’t leave departure city but still have a car. The worst is getting stuck somewhere and trying to get a young family on standby or find a rental car which is usually impossible for one way driving, not to mention it shortens time in airport and plane. There can be unforeseen issues like weather causing an in flight deviation but those are rare (and awful.)

If you can get a cheap enough flight to buy the toddler their own seat that is very nice, although you have to lug a car seat around as opposed to renting one from the car rental place.

We’ve tried both during regular nap or sleep periods and during normal play times. For my kids both have challenges and we don’t have a preference. I guess if you can get them a seat, nap time is amicable.

We always have lounge options for airports but usually don’t use them unless we get delayed.

Driving is preferred but we don’t have a lot of options unless we drive 14+ hours for FL and TN.

Once our oldest turned 3.5ish travel became much easier and tablets work relatively well. I think both of my boys have been a bear at the toddler stage. Vocal and always wanting to explore and don’t understand limitations but it’s not as terrible as I make it out in my head so long as total travel time is less than 6 hours.

As for places to stay, once they transition to more kid/adult food hotels are possible but house or places with kitchens are nice for longer than 2 day stays. Under 2 we do pack and plays (yes not recommended but for vacation works best for us.)

We mostly have grandparents/family with us to watch and split the work but we go often enough to FL that we’ve gotten trusted babysitters through word of mouth and our friends that live there. Nannies sound nice but I don’t think we would do it for multiple reasons, cost and lack of family time being the biggest.

We love FL beach panhandle for kids. They love the white sand and (usually) soft rolling waves. We rent a car and stay in a house with a pool within walking distance of beach and restaurants. Bikes with kid trailers, strollers on the beach etc.

Once the youngest is ~3 we’re planning on doing our first Disney trip.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

OP, my guess is that your toddler will compare favorably to some others.

I was on a plane with a toddler in my row who had one of those tube shaped super loud noisemakers one sees at concerts. For about 3 hours he twirled it with gusto and enthusiasm (woo woo woo! for hours) and no one said a word in the packed coach cabin. Then suddenly he dropped it into the aisle under the passing dining cart. The flight attendant bent down to pick it up for him so I subtly shook my head, no need.

Just don’t bring one of those noisemaker tubes and you’ll be fine.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.
like2read

Post by like2read »

We had good success with all-inclusive resorts in Mexico. The nicer family oriented ones have cool kiddie pool/fountains/climbing gyms and playgrounds. And, daycare. Kids do games, artwork, etc in a kindergarten type setting. I think toddlers are OK for any age requirement, but you should confirm. Check out TripAdvisor and sort on family friendly.
Watty

Post by Watty »

My son just went on a cruise with a 4 and 6 year old and they were able to drop their kids off in the ships kid center and that seemed to work well for them but they were older. That would vary with the ship so check the cruise critic forum. We cannot discus Covid here because of the board rules but do your own research on how much of an issue that still is on Cruise ships and don't just assume that it is not a problem now. Ask your pediatrician about the advisability of taking a young kid on a cruise or traveling in general.

If you must fly then only go someplace you can get a direct flight to. When traveling with a young kid a missed connection or a canceled connecting flight can have a major impact since by the time the alternate flight is available your kid may so so tired and cranky that they really are not up to being on an airplane. Be sure to have plenty of diapers, formula, food, etc to get you through a long flight delay. Also have changes of clothes in your carry on for both you and the kid if there is an accident.

Pay for the extra seat on the airplane and don't try to have a "lap baby" which will make you and the people around you miserable. If there is turbulence you will not be able to hold on your baby either. Imagine taking your kid on a roller coaster while holding them in your lap. Allowing lap babies is controversial and there is lots of information on them on the internet. There is also a good chance that the kid will go to sleep in a car seat. You may need to get a different car seat that will fit in the airplane seat so check on that. If you cannot budget to buy them their own seat on a flight then go someplace less expensive.

As others have said finding some place local that you can drive to in a few hours will be better. Leaving the kid with a grandparent and driving to someplace a couple of hours away would be ideal since you could be back quickly if there is a problem. Even if you not not live near the grandparents you might be able to go visit them and leave the kid with them for a couple of nights while you get away. Likewise the grandparents might be able to come and visit you and watch the kid in your house.

If your budget allows you could even rent a house somewhere and have the grandparents meet you there for an extended family vacation together and you could go out and do things while the grandparents watch the kid.

A long car drive is also not ideal since you kid may sleep all day in the car then be wide awake when you get to a hotel. I can remember taking a road trip to visit relatives when my kid was about that age and we stopped at a hotel midway. He had slept all day in the car and was wide awake and fussy and would not calm down. We did not want to disturb the other hotel guests so eventually I ended up putting him in the car and driving around the town at 3:00 AM to try to calm him down.

Sometimes when a young kid is crying once you check to make sure that they are Ok you may need to let them cry it out for a while so they can work it out and calm themself down. You can't really do that in a hotel with other guests around so renting a house would be a better choice if that is possible.

If you will be traveling internationally look into the passport requirements since I am not sure how that works and allow plenty of time to get a passport since this is the busy time of year for that. If your toddler is adopted and a different ethnic background from you then be prepared with paperwork to show that it is your kid.
Oakdale19

Post by Oakdale19 »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:46 am
Oakdale19 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:39 am Hello,

1) We live in NJ about 25 minutes from EWR.
3) We like beach/fine dining/pool/lounging. We of course enjoy trips to Europe/sight seeing, but I just don't see that in the cards with our current 19 month old. Figure by the time we figure it all out he'll be closer to 2

I have no problem going down the shore, but my wife doesn't consider going to the Jersey shore a "vacation". Tough for me TBH, as that to me is the easiest possible path. I've been trying to convince her that it doesn't make a ton of sense to pay to go to Florida, Mexico, or the Caribbean with a little kid when we can't do any of the stuff we want. I just have no interest paying $$$$ to be tethered to a hotel room from 7:30PM on.
I’m more familiar with the west coast. I am fairly familiar with Hyatt. If you have a lot of points, you should have plenty of options in Miami, Puerto Rico, and Key West. I’d recommend finding a place with a central location where you can walk to most places and won’t need to take a taxi.

Hilton head, Charleston, Outer Banks, or Savannah might be interesting options.

Any interest in Disney/Universal? Kid ticket should be free. Some people love. Some people hate.

Other option might be New England (Maine) depending on weather and your interest.

I like Mexico and Caribbean but will add flight time.

For location, I’d honestly recommend what your spouse prefers. You aren’t just paying for the cost of travel/hotel but for their happiness. If they’re unhappy or resentful at the shore, it could be an issue (during the vacation and after). Communication is key but I’d let them take the win here especially since you haven’t traveled in so long.

The recommendations throughout the thread are good.
1) Bring a stroller. Most airlines, you can stroll it right to the gate and they’ll gate check it for you (at no cost).
2) Most hotels will have a carry cot or crib available. We prefer to bring our own. Baby bjorn and guava family are two of the most popular travel cribs. Someone else recommended another above. You can check in when you first arrive to airport. Most will allow you to check 1-2 baby items for free. Some will charge a little extra.

3) If your car seat attaches to your stroller (travel system) it can make it a little easier. Once older, others to look at are cheaper car seats (Costco scenera) or splurge pick (way b pico).

4) snacks and entertainment. As someone mentioned above variety and spacing is key. Tablet as a last resort.

5) Driving locations Maybe easier but will depend on kid and spouse.

With your kid, Remember you have limited years with them. Make memories and make the most of this time!

Also a vacation is cheaper than a divorce :)
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

MrBobcat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:28 am Go camping in a national forest.
I’m curious if you’ve done this with a two year old…?
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

ScubaHogg wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 12:39 pm
I've done it with a 4yo, 2yo and 1yo at the same time, in a tent. Good times. Portable crib a necessity. Also bathed them in a rubbermaid container as they get dirty.
Last edited by MrBobcat on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

MrBobcat wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:20 pm
I've done it with a 4yo, 2yo and 1yo at the same time, in a tent. Good times.
Trust me, camping won’t be on the menu. But thank you for the suggestion.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I didn't read the other responses, but if they don't have
Beach
Relatives
then they should be at the top of the possibilities. In particular, relatives with toddlers who own a beach house is the way to go. :twisted:

In a pinch, substitute "Friends" for "Relatives."
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:21 pm
I've done it with a 4yo, 2yo and 1yo at the same time, in a tent. Good times.
Trust me, camping won’t be on the menu. But thank you for the suggestion.
It's not for everyone, but we were poor and lived relatively close to great camping areas. So many good memories.
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:24 pm I didn't read the other responses, but if they don't have
Beach
Relatives
then they should be at the top of the possibilities. In particular, relatives with toddlers who own a beach house is the way to go. :twisted:

In a pinch, substitute "Friends" for "Relatives."
Yes, we use my mother’s beach house quite a bit. But my wife’s idea of a vacation is not being around her MIL. To me its, great. She’ll take him and we’ll get to go out to eat on our own time line. But you can’t fight city hall.

I’m looking into the Hyatt Ziva Cancun and I’ll push it until the fall. That will give him a little time to get older and more interested in a tablet for the plane, and us time to get him a passport, etc. We can do the beach house this summer.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:28 pmYes, we use my mother’s beach house quite a bit. But my wife’s idea of a vacation is not being around her MIL. To me its, great. She’ll take him and we’ll get to go out to eat on our own time line. But you can’t fight city hall.
Send your mom away on her own vacation away from her beach house when you go there. :twisted:

Do either you or your spouse have siblings with toddlers?
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:31 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:28 pmYes, we use my mother’s beach house quite a bit. But my wife’s idea of a vacation is not being around her MIL. To me its, great. She’ll take him and we’ll get to go out to eat on our own time line. But you can’t fight city hall.
Send your mom away on her own vacation away from her beach house when you go there. :twisted:

Do either you or your spouse have siblings with toddlers?
I have a sister with a 3 and 7 year old, but they are how shall we say, in a different tax bracket than we are. Our vacations would never align with what they do.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:08 am My wife and I are desperate to go on vacation. The last trip we did was in February 2020. Since then we’ve had a little guy who is closing in on 20 months age.

I wanted to find out from folks if they had any suggestions for trips. At first thought I was thinking all inclusive resort that had some sort of childcare element so we could get a little break. Does anyone know of any of these? I have a significant stash of IHG and Hyatt points so would like to stay in this network if possible.

Also, any tips on traveling with a 2 year old? Every time I travel for work and see a family with stroller/car seat/luggage etc at the airport and I get anxiety.
Benefit of all inclusive is kids are generally free when they're 2 or 3 or less. Unfortunately the Kids Clubs are almost always for kids 3 or 4 or older.

For example Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall Montego Bay is 3 years or older and requires kids be potty trained. (BUT a few weeks ago we got them to take our 2 yr 10 month old because she is 'potty trained,' and they were great even after she had a couple accidents!)

Hyatt Ziva Cap Cana Punta Cana is 4 and older.

Bahia Principe Akumal is 4 and older.

Hyatt Ziva Cancun is 5 and older.

That said these are the programmed Kids Clubs. Almost all these resorts have baby sitters. Ziva Rose Hall was $35/hr. Bahia I believe was $10/hr per child.

Personally with a 2 and 4 yr old myself all inclusive is the way to go. No fuss over meals. No prep cleanup etc. Grab and go. Don't like it kid? No prob go grab something different.

Good luck! Great age to travel with. Precious, formative family memories.
UnLearnYourself

Post by UnLearnYourself »

OP if you're considering Hyatt HURRY UP AND BOOK! They are jacking up all inclusive rates on 3/28. Like a big increase. Ziva Cancun & Cap Cana going from 25k/nt up to 40k! Ziva Rose Hall from 25k to 30k.

RE Ziva Rose Hall: AMAZING beach for kids. Sheltered by jetties so it's basically a large natural ~4' deep kiddie pool. Also flights cheap to Montego Bay lately. My rec is go there. Don't underestimate how much of a benefit that ocean beach dynamic is, can greatly contribute to your relaxation with the relative safety and predictability of the space with calm waters.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

For us it was always easier driving than flying. Door to door drive with everything thrown in the trunk of the car and being able to pull over at any time anywhere is truly a blessing. We generally start adjusting kids at 6 weeks of age to trips several hours per day. By the time they are 2 they usually know 6 hours per day is expected.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:35 pmI have a sister with a 3 and 7 year old, but they are how shall we say, in a different tax bracket than we are. Our vacations would never align with what they do.
That works both ways and I cannot tell what you mean. My relatives are "private-jet wealthy" and have always been happy to host us. OTOH, we are happy to reciprocate despite our meager income.
enad

Post by enad »

The beach was always a fun place for our kids from the time they were old enough to play in the sand. You'll have time for the amusement parks later as they grow older. The zoo also worked if you travel to a place like San Diego where you have access to their zoo as well as the beach
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

livesoft wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 2:07 pm
Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:35 pmI have a sister with a 3 and 7 year old, but they are how shall we say, in a different tax bracket than we are. Our vacations would never align with what they do.
That works both ways and I cannot tell what you mean. My relatives are "private-jet wealthy" and have always been happy to host us. OTOH, we are happy to reciprocate despite our meager income.
What it means is that they go on vacations nicer than we could afford, but they are not private jet/treat us for the fun of it rich.
mortfree

Post by mortfree »

Seems like you might be better off taking a vacation without the kid.

Then go to the Jersey shore a few days with the kid as a family vacation. Kid won’t remember.
Mid-40’s
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Send child to grandpa camp and go to a cancun all inclusive. All 3 parties will be elated.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
opus360

Post by opus360 »

UnLearnYourself wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:50 pm OP if you're considering Hyatt HURRY UP AND BOOK! They are jacking up all inclusive rates on 3/28. Like a big increase. Ziva Cancun & Cap Cana going from 25k/nt up to 40k! Ziva Rose Hall from 25k to 30k.

RE Ziva Rose Hall: AMAZING beach for kids. Sheltered by jetties so it's basically a large natural ~4' deep kiddie pool. Also flights cheap to Montego Bay lately. My rec is go there. Don't underestimate how much of a benefit that ocean beach dynamic is, can greatly contribute to your relaxation with the relative safety and predictability of the space with calm waters.
+1 Get moving on Hyatt.

Personally, I have been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun, with two young kids. We enjoyed it a lot. Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen was also great, but the pool wasn't heated. So, it was very cold for me when we were there in January. (Hyatt Ziva Cancun pool is heated.) There are tons of all inclusive hotels/resorts now under Hyatt. Better book up before everything gets more expensive.

IHG points - Kimpton Seafire in Grand Cayman is wonderful. The owner of Seafire also owns the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman. You will find a lot of the staff at Seafire came from the Ritz. So, service is top notch. All rooms at Seafire have fridge. You can request microwave. Just be warned, Cayman is an expensive place.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

When kids were younger, always drove hence stayed on eastern side of U. S.. Waited until they were about one for their first vacation. First flight was when the youngest was six to FL.

Went to friends lake cabin each year hence sand beach, boat rides and other fun water activities. But we also did lots of other stuff, Acadia and the Northeast, Niagara Falls, Williamsburg, D.C., Charleston and other places. Today, if you ask the kids about early trips, they don't remember anything much until they were about 5 or 6. At my older age, I can still remember our big trip out west when I was eight. So, just have fun on your family vacation and find a good blend of activities. It'll be just fine.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
spacecadet610

Post by spacecadet610 »

We have a 5 and 2 year old and did a 5 night disney cruise out of San Diego in January.

Had a really good experience. Above 3 years old there is a free kids club they can go that. Below that age there is a nursery you can drop them off for a reasonable charge.

All inclusive food and tons of activities to do.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Place an order with either Amazon or Chewy for large items such as big fluffy comforters or dog beds. Receive items. Let toddler play in the box the items came in while making one or more mixed drinks of your choosing (I recommend the 1794 - 2oz Rye whiskey, 1 Oz Campari, 1 oz sweet vermouth, couple dashes of chocolate bitters). Repeat as necessary.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I've done it with a 4yo, 2yo and 1yo at the same time, in a tent. Good times. Portable crib a necessity. Also bathed them in a rubbermaid container as they get dirty.
Well my hat is off to you. That sounds…not relaxing with my toddlers

:beer
“Conventional Treasury rates are risk free only in the sense that they guarantee nominal principal. But their real rate of return is uncertain until after the fact.” -Risk Less and Prosper
Topic Author
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

opus360 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:17 pm
UnLearnYourself wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 1:50 pm OP if you're considering Hyatt HURRY UP AND BOOK! They are jacking up all inclusive rates on 3/28. Like a big increase. Ziva Cancun & Cap Cana going from 25k/nt up to 40k! Ziva Rose Hall from 25k to 30k.

+1 Get moving on Hyatt.

Personally, I have been to Hyatt Ziva Cancun, with two young kids. We enjoyed it a lot. Grand Hyatt Playa Del Carmen was also great, but the pool wasn't heated. So, it was very cold for me when we were there in January. (Hyatt Ziva Cancun pool is heated.) There are tons of all inclusive hotels/resorts now under Hyatt. Better book up before everything gets more expensive.

IHG points - Kimpton Seafire in Grand Cayman is wonderful. The owner of Seafire also owns the Ritz Carlton in Grand Cayman. You will find a lot of the staff at Seafire came from the Ritz. So, service is top notch. All rooms at Seafire have fridge. You can request microwave. Just be warned, Cayman is an expensive place.
Looking into both Kimpton Seafire and Hyatt Ziva Cancun. I can cover both with points -- although I expect to see about a $1000 charge at the Kimpton between resort fees and service charges. Will update once I've made the decision. I could actually book both on points and then just cancel after we decide which one we want to do.
knowledge

Post by knowledge »

Before our eldest turned two, we did a 4+ hour drive with the grand parents, three separate beach/pool trips and flew cross country to visit friends.

Beach trips were probably easiest, and half the relief of those trips is not having to worry about making food 3x a day. So whatever it is that you do, I'd advise to stay at a resort/hotel.
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

If you get anxiety by simply seeing people traveling with stroller and car seats, I say avoid traveling for now. You gotta go with the flow when it comes to being out of your comfort zone (traveling with small ones.)

We're in a similar situation as you. Toddler around same age. We live in PA and had our first "real" trip in December, little over 2 years. We flew to orlando. Did disney for 3 days, pool at the vrbo we stayed. It was an awesome trip. We didnt have high expectations because pre baby, we always went to national parks or places that werent crowded. We were pleasantly surprised how fun disney was. But, we werent those parents that forced their kid to stay at the park all day and watch them have a melt down. We went when gates dropped and left at nap time, around 1pm. We would come back to the park after nap was over since were were only 15 minutes away. Worked out great. Spent a lot of time in the pool at our place.

You gotta set your expectations. It will not be traveling like it was pre baby. Those days are over for now whether you like it or not. Doesnt mean you cant have a great time.

Besides disney, we would take weekend trips to the finger lakes in new york. Hit up a winery or brewery, then head to a playground for a while. Hike around to see waterfall, etc etc. Worked out great. We also drive 5 hours to the beach in the summer. Beaches are easy.

We have an oct trip planned to san diego. That flight will be twice as far as orlando so we'll see how that goes. And for everyone saying to bring play doh, ipad, stickers, etc...that stuff may work, it may not. Ours didnt want to play with anything we brought him. He was too into the flight, looking around, standing up on the seat, looking out window. Gone are the days im asleep before wheels leave the ground. I will say though, you may want to get a harness strap for the plane seat. If we only had the lap belt, we wouldnt have been able to keep him down during takeoff/landing. You can get a strap that goes over shoulders so they cant stand up.

Also, do you really want some random nobody watching your kid on vacation? I wouldnt trust an on resort daycare to watch my kid. Do people really hate being around their little ones that much? Yeah, they can be a pain and drive you nuts, but thats part of raising them, teaching them, growing with them. You dont have to sit down at a restaurant. Get takeout food, go to walmart or any grocery store and buy pre made things. We almost never sit down at a restaurant...why?? because its more stressful. Its easier to find a playground and eat the food there. They can play, you can eat and watch them. Again, set expectations! Your life is and should be different with kids. If you want things to remain the same, do not have children. Thats ok too. And for anyone saying you should have kids when you really dont, tell them to pound sand.
flarf

Post by flarf »

Jags4186 wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:46 am 1) We live in NJ about 25 minutes from EWR.

One of my favorite pictures of my first child is him taking some of his first steps at the Parthenon. Traveling with one child all over the world was easy; now we have four and it's a bit more challenging. You can still do things with a child, you just have to do them differently.

Everything about what you posted points to the Caribbean. You can fly to most places nonstop from EWR and you don't have to worry about throwing off his schedule by too far east or west. Places like St. Maarten or Turks & Caicos tick all of your boxes, and you can trust higher-end (not necessarily luxury, just above-average) places to arrange sitters -- typically off-duty hotel employees -- so you can go out for dinner. We would usually book a sitter for after bedtime so the sitter had zero responsibilities except to get the kid out if the place was on fire.

Note that running a 2-year old around on the beach all day usually means they sleep like the dead that night. Use that to your advantage; set up a baby monitor app on your phone and your wife's phone, leave one in the room and take the other down to the hotel bar for a nightcap.

I would also strongly suggest buying your <2 year old a seat on the plane. Give him snacks, some things to color, and let him watch all the Cocomelon or Daniel Tiger or Thomas & Friends that he wants from gate to gate. Don't forget to sign him up to earn miles too.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

flarf wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:43 pm
Note that running a 2-year old around on the beach all day usually means they sleep like the dead that night. Use that to your advantage; set up a baby monitor app on your phone and your wife's phone, leave one in the room and take the other down to the hotel bar for a nightcap.
I literally laughed out loud imagining the look I’d get from my wife if I suggested we leave our 2 year old alone in the hotel room. Even if we are just downstairs. 😂😂
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

ScubaHogg wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:19 pm
flarf wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:43 pm
I literally laughed out loud imagining the look I’d get from my wife if I suggested we leave our 2 year old alone in the hotel room. Even if we are just downstairs. 😂😂

Customs vary, sometimes to one's astonishment.

We were completely beyond belief when we were at a top hotel in the Lake Como, Italy, area, and we saw some signs to hang on the doorknob. You know, like "Privacy Please". "Please Make Up Room", etc. The English wording may have been slightly different.

And then there was this one:

"BABY INSIDE.
Please notify Front Desk
if you hear baby crying
"

... or words to that effect.

I can not even begin to imagine....

This was a regular doorknob sign, just like the others! :shock:
We still find it hard to believe.

That might (would!?) be actionable in many nearby jurisdictions, leaving a baby in a hotel room and just... going elsewhere!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.