How long did you wait for your tax refund this year?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Jungle

Re: How long did you wait for your tax refund this year?

Post by Jungle »

Submitted on 2/28. Just received the State today, still waiting on the Federal
65% US Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV, 22% Int Stock
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

e-filed 3/7. Still waiting 3/13. Seems reasonable so far.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
judge1905

Post by judge1905 »

I received checks in the mail but even that was relatively fast. Filed the 7th of February. Received checks for both state and federal returns on the 28th. Gone a lot for work so I may have gotten the physical checks a few days eariler.
RuralLivin

Post by RuralLivin »

I filed taxes with FreeTaxUSA (thanks Bogleheads) on 2/3. I received the state refund 2/24 and the federal refund on 3/11.

I suspect the federal delay might have been for the following reasons:
1) Paying federal estimated taxes for the first time last year (I was late the second quarter by four days due to vacation). I quickly did a double payment.
2) Switching tax software from Taxslayer the previous year to FreeaxUSA this year.
3) Tax loss harvesting.
4) Excess social security tax refund.

In the past, any federal refunds were generally in two weeks and the state was generally three weeks.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

I haven’t filed yet. MD has temporarily halted processing returns so I’m in no hurry. Still, I predict mine will get processed before the bank failure thread is exhausted.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Federal and state were both right about 2 weeks. E-file.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Just got my i-bond. wow- one 5k bill - what a nice surprise !!!
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
Janhaus

Post by Janhaus »

Still waiting, 29 days..
singledigit12b

Post by singledigit12b »

nisiprius wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:59 am
I am sorry I voluntarily signed up for the "IP PIN" program. I didn't understand it. It was a confusing nightmare this year. Once you have signed up, you are apparently in it for good, like it or not, and you must prove your identity each and every year. First there was a frantic search for my IP PIN, and then I freaked out when the IRS implied that I had entered it wrong. I didn't understand, and it didn't explain, that I do not have "an" IP PIN, that the one I found was only good for last year, and that I needed to request a fresh one this year. Fortunately I was able to do it using an IRS account I'd established a few years ago, and didn't need to deal with ID.ME or mailed PINs.
I had the same thing. Took me a bit to figure out I had to get a new PIN every year.
Vtsax100

Post by Vtsax100 »

Submitted electronically with HR Block March 8. Refund March 13.
Sho

Post by Sho »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 12:13 pm
Sho wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 11:22 am Question: it has only been 2 weeks
But on “where is my refund “ and IRs go site , it changed from processing and most people should get in 21 days to

“Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available. For more information about processing delays, please see our Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

Please read the following information related to your tax situation:
Tax Topic 152, Refund Information”

Does it mean anything ?
My experience has been that if the return is simple and straightforward, it will do directly from the "Processing" step to "Your return has been approved and your refund should be deposited on <date>". But if there is something that the IRS wants to take an additional look at, they will give the message that you are currently receiving. It might be an additional automated process they have decided to put your return thru or it could be something that requires a human eye to look at. It's not necessarily a sign of something being wrong. Just that they have decided to look at it a little longer for some reason. It could be nothing more than internal quality control step. It could be they will ask you to provide some further identification -- this seems more and more common. They would notify you by US mail if that's the case. It could be they think something is wrong and will take different actions. At this point you really don't know.

If you have an online IRS account, you should start looking there for any further details. Create an account if you don't have one. They are useful over time.
So it has been almost 21 days , so I checked IRS account
It shows transcript for 2022
Bal Due/over payment using TP figure per computer is
$100 less than Bal Due /over payment using computer figures

So, iRS refund shows $100 more , not sure how that
can happen, I checked TT and all numbers are entered correctly

So, I guess I will have to wait for a long time for someone
to verify this ? Any one knows long it takes . I had plans for the refund ! Thanks

Addendum : just looked at the code : 570
Does the date in the same line mean anything ?
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Two or three weeks for my ny state and federal return filed with turbo tax.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Sho wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:08 am
But on “where is my refund “ and IRs go site , it changed from processing and most people should get in 21 days to

“Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available. For more information about processing delays, please see our Refund Frequently Asked Questions.

Does it mean anything ?
My experience has been that if the return is simple and straightforward, it will do directly from the "Processing" step to "Your return has been approved and your refund should be deposited on <date>". But if there is something that the IRS wants to take an additional look at, they will give the message that you are currently receiving. It might be an additional automated process they have decided to put your return thru or it could be something that requires a human eye to look at. It's not necessarily a sign of something being wrong. Just that they have decided to look at it a little longer for some reason. It could be nothing more than internal quality control step. It could be they will ask you to provide some further identification -- this seems more and more common. They would notify you by US mail if that's the case. It could be they think something is wrong and will take different actions. At this point you really don't know.

If you have an online IRS account, you should start looking there for any further details. Create an account if you don't have one. They are useful over time.

to verify this ? Any one knows long it takes . I had plans for the refund ! Thanks

I would assume the date is when they processed the return initially. What date does it show? I also assume you looked up code 570 -- it means they have put a hold on your return. It could be that they have sent you a letter for some reason and are waiting on it. Or they have put it on hold until a human can look at something. There is no way to know how long it will be on hold.
Sho

Post by Sho »

PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:39 am

Does it mean anything ?

I would assume the date is when they processed the return initially. What date does it show? I also assume you looked up code 570 -- it means they have put a hold on your return. It could be that they have sent you a letter for some reason and are waiting on it. Or they have put it on hold until a human can look at something. There is no way to know how long it will be on hold.
The date is 3/28/23
The refund is $100 more. Yes I looked at the code
Thank you
Jungle

Post by Jungle »

Federal showed up yesterday. Just spent every penny (literally) on VTSAX today :moneybag
65% US Stock, 7% MCV, 6% SCV, 22% Int Stock
czaj

Post by czaj »

Return submitted and accepted on 2/28/23.

Refund approved when I checked today. 3/15/23. Refund should be issued by 3/17/23.

About 8 days faster than last year, though I did submit a few days earlier this year.

The return was similar to last year, but I also had some crypto transactions, so even that didn't slow it down! Per usual, my paper I bonds weren't purchased, likely due to my estimated taxes not totaling whole numbers, but I don't really care.
djmbob

Post by djmbob »

Initially I tried to file on 2/17 using HRB e-file, but received an error message that the software was messed up
(see
). Had to wait for the HRB update on 3/3.

Updated and e-filed on 3/3.

Received my OK state refund on 3/12.

No IRS refund yet, but it's two weeks tomorrow. Hoping to receive by next Friday.

Cheers,
Ray

EDIT: The day after I posted this, my IRS refund showed up in my bank account 3/17! 19 days :D
Last edited by djmbob on Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Retired Military in Tulsa, 100% VA, MFJ, Age 65, Spouse 60, 2022 Effective Tax Rate 8.5%
the_wiki

Post by the_wiki »

9 days for federal and 12 days for state.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I filed Federal and Oklahoma on 2/28, and received Federal yesterday. The Oklahoma status is unclear; a few days ago the website status was working on one of my three browsers, but now it's down to zero; the phone status basically says my refund either has or hasn't been approved/sent.
mkc

Post by mkc »

11 days for Federal (3/4 file, 3/15 deposit in account). No state tax.
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

We filed March 1 using Free File Fillable. We are still waiting for our refund. IRS site says return received. We filed MD using ifile on March 11. Refund was in our bank this morning.

Anyone else use Free File Fillable and still waiting?
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Got mine today. Filed 2/17.
The refund was $100 more than expected so I presume there was an error somewhere along the way that slowed it down. Looking forward to the notice or letter explaining it. Nothing available on my online account yet.
Stoic9

Post by Stoic9 »

I efiled adult child's taxes 11 MAR, in the bank on 16 March
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

I filed Federal with H&R Block on 2/10 and received the refund on 2/16 = 6 days.

I filed Virginia state tax on 2/15 and got the refund on 2/27 = 12 days.

Both refunds were in the ~$50 range, so I'm not sweating the tiny amount of interest lost.
schwank

Post by schwank »

I filed about 3 weeks ago and was watching our account for refund, but nothing. After just over 2 weeks we received Letter 5071C. We over withheld to cover RSU income due to stock market decline, so I'm guessing the refund size (when we historically have owed) was the trigger. Luckily I previously setup ID.me so I was quickly able to validate the legitimacy of the return, but the system indicated up to 9 weeks to process.

So, I guess we'll be waiting a while longer. Luckily my employer now allows adjustment of withholding % on vesting RSUs, so I should not have the problem of trying to match withholding in the future.
LuckyInLife

Post by LuckyInLife »

mega317 wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:40 am If you owe you still need to pay on time.
Not true for most California taxpayers. The California and federal governments extended the time to both file and pay to October 16th.
MariaT

Post by MariaT »

Efiled: March 3rd (no state)
Direct deposit: March 17th
So total 10 business days.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

One week.
windpig

Post by windpig »

Accountant filed late Feb electronically, got refund in 2 days.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Filed with TaxAct.com and received both refunds in about 6 business days. Pretty fast. Fast enough.
DRReaders

Post by DRReaders »

Accountant filed on 2/15, still waiting for the refund. Confirmed with the accountant that the the tax return was e-filed.

I checked Where's My Refund and it said "We cannot provide any information about your refund"...Getting a bit concerned now
Sho

Post by Sho »

Sho wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:49 am
PaunchyPirate wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:39 am

Does it mean anything ?

The date is 3/28/23
The refund is $100 more. Yes I looked at the code
Thank you
Finally it is approved , hopefully hits the account next week
sowhatsnext

Post by sowhatsnext »

Used FreeTaxUSA e-File.
Both Submitted 3/1/2023
Federal Accepted 3/2/2023 Refund direct deposited 3/22/2023..... 21 days
State Accepted 3/3/2023 State Refund direct deposited 3/13/2023..... 12days
Last edited by sowhatsnext on Wed Mar 22, 2023 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hacksawdave

Post by Hacksawdave »

Both were e-filed February 27th. State refund received on 3-9, fed finally came through on 3-17.
gotlost33

Post by gotlost33 »

2/25/23 - eFiled (HRBlock software)
3/15/23 - DD refund credited
3/20/23 - Bond allocation received - Issued as a single bond
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Anyone have experience with something like this (below)???

I helped my elderly parent file 2/22. Similar return to previous year, just some minor differences in itemized deductions. Used TaxAct and eFiled as I've done for them the previous several years. Return accepted almost immediately. No update on status beyond accepted for a few weeks.

Refund status now finally shows approved, but there is a large adjustment to the refund from the expected couple of hundred to a few thousand. The code is 9021 (math error), and they say there is a letter of explanation on the way. Hitting the "details" button on the Where's My Refund screen, and the info that pops up indicates the "math error" is due to:

"We changed the amount shown on Schedule 2 of your tax return as additional tax from Schedule 8812, Credits for Qualifying Children and Other Dependents, because of an error on Schedule 8812 in one of the following:
The computation of the Child Tax Credit on Schedule 8812.
You received advance Child Tax Credit payments but did not reconcile them or you reconciled them incorrectly.
The amount of tax from Part III was not transferred correctly to your tax return"

This makes no sense since parent has no dependents (and no one claims them either), didn't file form 8812, and hasn't had a child tax credit in any recent decade (I've no idea what the tax code was like when I was a kid and thus a dependent). I don't see any obvious errors on parent's schedule 2 or the rest of their return either.

This seems very odd to me. They estimate the "corrected" refund will be posted to the bank account this week. I suppose we just let the extra money sit there until we get the letter and then try to get it sorted out, and then likely the IRS will take the extra money back. This feels like "bank error in your favor" that may take some of our time and energy to fix. :?
Eurookat

Post by Eurookat »

Submitted Sunday night on 3/12 and received DD on Thursday. Never gotten it this early before.