First time trip in snow, need to know what gear to buy

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Hillcountry12

Re: First time trip in snow, need to know what gear to buy

Post by Hillcountry12 »

White Coat Investor wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:35 pm
lkjhj wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:54 pm
White Coat Investor wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 2:30 pm Thermal underwear top ****
Thermal underwear bottom ****
Fleece pants ****
Polyester T shirt ****
Fleece jacket/sweatshirt ****
"Shell" bibs
Shell jacket ****
Down puffer jacket ****
Smartwool socks ****
Hat ****
Mittens ****
Neck gaiter
Ski helmet?
Goggles
Snowboots for sledding and snowshoeing
Ski boots/poles/skis
Sunscreen
**** all on clearance at your local Sam's club right now. I picked up some really high quality gear at thrift store prices. I take my kids skiing only a few times per year so am constantly cycling gear (as my body size changes due to age and my kids outgrow their gear) so I try to keep my costs as low as possible and maximize my enjoyment factor.
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Chat with your local friends for more detailed recommendations. We don't know where you're going, how cold or windy it's likely to be, or if you are going to be near a ski lodge the whole time vs. snowmobiling in the back country with your local friends.

You have lots of good suggestions in this thread, but the details of what you need will vary a bit with local conditions, how long you will be out, how far away you are from a house or lodge with heat and hot chocolate, etc.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

OP, just FYI, Patagonia has a 40% off sale going on.
Topic Author
lkjhj

Post by lkjhj »

livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:44 pm My evil mind wants the OP to go into their local REI or bigbox sporting goods store and spend at least $5,000 on gear for this trip.
I can easily see how that could happen. While looking around online, I came across some Arc'teryx gear. That was crazy.

Although I haven't really been in the snow before for recreation, I've been in colder climates. So I did happen to have a few things on the list. I've been buying the rest on Amazon. It is crazy how incredibly cheap some of this stuff can be had for if you buy questionable brands. I'm gonna spend around $200. I have no doubt the quality will leave something to be desired, but if it sticks, then I'll buy some better stuff.
Keim

Post by Keim »

clip651 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:04 pm Chat with your local friends for more detailed recommendations. We don't know where you're going, how cold or windy it's likely to be, or if you are going to be near a ski lodge the whole time vs. snowmobiling in the back country with your local friends.

You have lots of good suggestions in this thread, but the details of what you need will vary a bit with local conditions, how long you will be out, how far away you are from a house or lodge with heat and hot chocolate, etc.
Lots of good advice in this thread. But, hands down, this is the best. Chat with a local about what you will need to do what you plan.

OP doesn't tell us much about what they will be doing, where they are going, expected temperature, windchill, activity level, etc... Without knowing that it is hard to recommend the right gear. Heck, I grew up in Montana. I camped at -30 (not including wind chill) with long johns, a heavy coat/gloves/hat and blue jeans... With what little we know I could recommend that (Though I'd upgrade to wool pants now instead of the cotton jeans. Cotton is a no no in snow and cold)

If I were OP I'd also have concerns about my first time driving on snow. It's not hard, but it is different.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

lkjhj wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:59 am
livesoft wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:44 pm My evil mind wants the OP to go into their local REI or bigbox sporting goods store and spend at least $5,000 on gear for this trip.
I can easily see how that could happen. While looking around online, I came across some Arc'teryx gear. That was crazy.

Although I haven't really been in the snow before for recreation, I've been in colder climates. So I did happen to have a few things on the list. I've been buying the rest on Amazon. It is crazy how incredibly cheap some of this stuff can be had for if you buy questionable brands. I'm gonna spend around $200. I have no doubt the quality will leave something to be desired, but if it sticks, then I'll buy some better stuff.
If you are OK with questionable brands, try Temu.com. We've ordered stuff from there, including gloves, beanies, base layers, kids snow boots, etc. and satisfied so far. Literally the exact same product sold on Amazon, for half the price or less.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

heyyou wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:37 pm Carry some easy to eat and digest, high sugar candy and some water. Some extra fat (butter?) at meals is good too, but not too much as that would expedite how quickly it moves through you.
:confused Why would nutrition and hydration protocols be any different because activity it is being done in the cold? Just eat and bring whatever you would bring for a normal hike or outdoor activity. The only real consideration is that your bladder will freeze, I don't care how insulated it is. Biggest headache for me about snowshoeing is that I have to carry my heavy insulated bottles instead of my light and convenient bladder.
dknightd

Post by dknightd »

clip651 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:04 pm Chat with your local friends for more detailed recommendations. We don't know where you're going, how cold or windy it's likely to be, or if you are going to be near a ski lodge the whole time vs. snowmobiling in the back country with your local friends.

+1 Check with the people you are visiting. They will give you ideas, and, might have most things you need. Or at least tell you what they think you need that they do not have spares of.

They might be the type who do not like to spend lots of time outside when it is very cold . . .
Retired 2019. So far, so good. I want to wake up every morning. But I want to die in my sleep. Just another conundrum. I think the solution might be afternoon naps ;)
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

Do consider how your bulky interior layers will affect the sizes of your exterior garments, especially on the waist of your pants. That may be why suspenders are handy.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

And how much money you have. I didn't wear the quality of gear I have now when I was growing up, and it was much colder then. Lots of cotton as I recall. But that was probably okay as it's pretty tough to get very wet when it's below zero Fahrenheit.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
White Coat Investor

lkjhj wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:59 amWhile looking around online, I came across some Arc'teryx gear. That was crazy.
Only if you don't get your money's worth out of it. When I think of things where I don't regret spending the money Arc'teryx shells come in pretty close to the top of the list. But I doubt they would for the OP.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Topic Author
lkjhj

Post by lkjhj »

White Coat Investor wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 5:30 pm
lkjhj wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:59 amWhile looking around online, I came across some Arc'teryx gear. That was crazy.
Only if you don't get your money's worth out of it. When I think of things where I don't regret spending the money Arc'teryx shells come in pretty close to the top of the list. But I doubt they would for the OP.
I'm sure there are people like you out there for whom that kind of stuff is actually good value. As you've correctly guessed, I'm not one of those people. Very doubtful that I'll ever be. But who knows? Anything is possible. Maybe next year I'll own a $700 Arc'teryx bib.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Speaking of dead bird jackets, this just has to be looked at:
https://www.reddit.com/r/hiking/comment ... yle_to_my/
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
halfnine

Post by halfnine »

lkjhj wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:07 pm
I'm sure there are people like you out there for whom that kind of stuff is actually good value. As you've correctly guessed, I'm not one of those people. Very doubtful that I'll ever be. But who knows? Anything is possible. Maybe next year I'll own a $700 Arc'teryx bib.
Back in the day I used to be involved in wintertime Search and Rescue. We would also do some preventative patrolling of popular snow play and cross country areas during the weekends and holidays. For the most part those wearing jeans, etc. were rarely of a concern. Largely because they were never far from the trailhead. It was those who were dressed to climb Annapurana who were often more problematic. Mostly because they had more money than sense.
White Coat Investor

halfnine wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 6:32 am
lkjhj wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 9:07 pm
Back in the day I used to be involved in wintertime Search and Rescue. We would also do some preventative patrolling of popular snow play and cross country areas during the weekends and holidays. For the most part those wearing jeans, etc. were rarely of a concern. Largely because they were never far from the trailhead. It was those who were dressed to climb Annapurana who were often more problematic. Mostly because they had more money than sense.
Sitting on a ledge under a rock in a hail/lightning/rain storm for a couple of hours with your kid at over 13,000 feet on the Grand Teton gives you new perspective on what the right price to pay for shells is. When you really need a shell a $99 Marmot Precip doesn't cut it.
armeliusc

Post by armeliusc »

I've not read all of the replies, but the first few ones seems really overkill. I go with a more minimalist route and it's just fine:

Ski pants (basically waterproof / windproof pants)
a decent windproof / waterproof jacket
t-shirt + maybe sweatshirt
wear / bring an extra layer of t-shirt or two for just in case
decent boots / shoes
Ski gloves (basically waterproof gloves). If you think you might be cold, layer it with a thinner gloves.

Most of those you probably already have around, except maybe ski gloves and ski pants. I would not overthink this.

Car: if your car is properly maintained, just go. Don't need to do anything extra. I assume you're not trying to do off-roading in ice / snow-covered trail. Or trying to brave a blizzards.