My experience with Discount Tires vs Sams Club

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
gavinsiu

My experience with Discount Tires vs Sams Club

Post by gavinsiu »

I usually get tires from Sams Club but the particular tire I needed Sams Club was out of and in the past when you back order something, it might not arrive in months, so I decided to give Discount tires a try.

Sams Club
Generaly, the experience is in my opinion "Cheap". At my site, there appears to be one guy doing the both front desk and the tire changes. This mean half an hour wait for the guy to show up to take your order because he is working in the back. There seems to be no reservation. Usually, you order the tire ahead of time so that the tires are in storage and be ready to be installed. You get notified by email. Installation have been fine the last 3 times I used them. The prices are generally pretty good and include insurance that prorates your tires in case of an incident. One bonus I notice is that the rep never tries to sell you additional services, probably because they have no other services to sell.

Discount Tires
The chain is takes a more professional approach. When you order the tires, they will contantly call and update you on the tire shipment. Once you arrive, the rep measures the tire's tread and ask questions your driving habits. This particular rep ask why I choose this particular brand of tires. They do try hard to sell you additional services like wiper replacement, insurance, new wheels, but it's not too hard of a sell. Their prices are similar to Sams Club but the insurance is extra. However the insurance is better, the rep claims that they won't just prorate the tires, they will replace it. They appear to do a good job, too.

Neither shop will do alignment. The Discount tire rep indicate that that this is why they want to look at the thread to see if there is unusal thread wear. If they see some, they have a coupon to a Merlin station down the street that can do the alignment.

I think both will do a good job. If you want more service go with the discount tires, but I feel that both will get the job done.
JimmyJoeMeeker

Re: My experience with Discount Tires vs Sams Club

Post by JimmyJoeMeeker »

Discount Tire has plugged holes from nails / screws for me several times, at no charge, and at locations around the United States. They seem to really want you to come back and buy your next set of tires from them again. And I do.
simplextableau

Post by simplextableau »

I've never had Discount Tire try to sell me anything other than the tire certificates (the "insurance"). I didn't even think they sell wipers.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

simplextableau wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:35 pm I've never had Discount Tire try to sell me anything other than the tire certificates (the "insurance"). I didn't even think they sell wipers.
+1

Same experience as simplextableau but YMMV.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I got a free tire replacement at Discount Tire. Also in another visit Discount Tire paid me $50 for each used tire they got off my car. I was surprised since those tires were NOT purchased at Discount Tire.

I also like the locations of Discount Tire here in Texas along the roads I routinely drive. I have used them Amarillo, Waxahachie, and Houston.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
baconavocado

Post by baconavocado »

I usually buy my tires through Tirerack and use one of their recommend installers, Pep Boys the last two times. Pep Boys used to operate like you described Sam's Club, but they have since transitioned to a "service advisor" model where there's a guy, probably working on commission, who tries to sell you a bunch of other stuff and pump up the bill somehow. I got out the door for $25/wheel for mounting and balancing but it was a battle from start to finish. When I got home I found out each tire had been overinflated to 40 psi. I won't be going back there.
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

By the way, Discount Tire is Americas's Tire in some parts of California.

I go there. No reason to go anywhere else.
Gort

Post by Gort »

adamthesmythe wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:13 pm By the way, Discount Tire is Americas's Tire in some parts of California.

I go there. No reason to go anywhere else.
Discount Tire also owns Tire Rack for those interested.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

Check the date on the tires before they go on. I got some at Sam's Club once that were old and out of date. You want them like fruit. Nice and ripe.

Oh, for good advice about tires for your car, differences between tire grades and a whole lot more, see your Owner's Manual. Who'd have thought?
MtnTravel

Post by MtnTravel »

I've bought several sets of tires from Discount Tire and have nothing but good things to say about them. The work is done well and done quickly. Sams Club is owned by WalMart... enough said...
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

simplextableau wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 6:35 pm I've never had Discount Tire try to sell me anything other than the tire certificates (the "insurance"). I didn't even think they sell wipers.
I had them try to sell me some wipers cause mine were “worn” not even a month ago
“… the fact remains that buying a nominal bond ladder to defease future living expenses can prove disastrous.” - Bill Bernstein | | “…something unusual happens—usually.” - Nassim Taleb
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

I’ve used both. Discount tire significantly pricer than Sam’s
“… the fact remains that buying a nominal bond ladder to defease future living expenses can prove disastrous.” - Bill Bernstein | | “…something unusual happens—usually.” - Nassim Taleb
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:54 am I’ve used both. Discount tire significantly pricer than Sam’s
Does Discount Tire price match the membership club stores (Sam's, Costco)?
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:42 pm Neither shop will do alignment.
Every tire warranty I've ever seen requires an alignment with installation in order to collect later if needed. Do Costco and Discount Tire self warranty the tires?

I've collected partial payments on tires several times over the years due to being able to prove that an alignment was done at installation.
enad

Post by enad »

I have been shopping at Discount Tire/America's Tire for over 30 years. Once I have picked up a pair of tires elsewhere as a convenience as there were no Discount Tire's nearby. They will repair any flat, even if you did not buy the tire from them. They beat Costco by $300 on my last set of tires, so I have no complaints. I always ask for fresh tires manufactured within 6 months of the date of purchase and I always buy the certs for the tires. When you replace a tire under the cert, you need to purchase a new cert with the new tire.
Last edited by enad on Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:49 am Every tire warranty I've ever seen requires an alignment with installation in order to collect later if needed. Do Costco and Discount Tire self warranty the tires?

I've collected partial payments on tires several times over the years due to being able to prove that an alignment was done at installation.
I have gotten a nail in the tire's sidewall and gotten a prorated refund.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

jbmitt wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:42 am
ScubaHogg wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:54 am I’ve used both. Discount tire significantly pricer than Sam’s
Does Discount Tire price match the membership club stores (Sam's, Costco)?
https://www.discounttire.com/customer-s ... -guarantee
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

gavinsiu wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:25 am
lthenderson wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:49 am Every tire warranty I've ever seen requires an alignment with installation in order to collect later if needed. Do Costco and Discount Tire self warranty the tires?

I have gotten a nail in the tire's sidewall and gotten a prorated refund.
Yeah I could see that being prorated. I guess I'm referring to a situation where the tire developed uneven wear and no alignment was done. An alignment wouldn't prevent punctures.
Topic Author
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

lthenderson wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:31 am Yeah I could see that being prorated. I guess I'm referring to a situation where the tire developed uneven wear and no alignment was done. An alignment wouldn't prevent punctures.
I would think they will not cover that. I know people who regularly hit the curb and mess up the alignment. The tires could go bad quickly even if they only drive 500 miles a year.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

FYI, Discount Tire give an additional 5% discount, in addition to other discounts, for Military & Veterans with verification https://www.discounttire.com/promotions ... y-discount
"Don't Believe Everything You Think"
Gort

Post by Gort »

enad wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 10:24 am I have been shopping at Discount Tire/America's Tire for over 30 years. Once I have picked up a pair of tires elsewhere as a convenience as there were no Discount Tire's nearby. They will repair any flat, even if you did not buy the tire from them. They beat Costco by $300 on my last set of tires, so I have no complaints. I always ask for fresh tires manufactured within 6 months of the date of purchase and I always buy the certs for the tires. When you replace a tire under the cert, you need to purchase a new cert with the new tire.
What is a "cert"?
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Discount Tire is one of the few remaining businesses that actually tries to please the customers. Every interaction I have there -- from pressure checks on up to a full set of RV tires -- has been handled professionally and with a smile on their faces. They lived up to their warranties for me several times, and chased around the country to find a single tire to replace one that blew a chunk of tread as it was no longer being made.
BrightEyes

Post by BrightEyes »

I ended up getting full set of tires at Discount Tires, over Costco based on best price for the recommended tires for my Honda Civic, even though I had just joined Costco because I thought I’d get tires there…

When I went back to Discount Tires for free rotation, the tech recommended (but did not push) new wipers after his exam of the car. I did not think they were quite due for replacement, but since the price seemed reasonable ($26, iirc) and I tend to put things like that off, I had him do the replacement so I could forget about it.

Wow! My windshield was suddenly so much clearer when it next rained! I had had Michelin wipers I’d bought at Costco, used for less than a year, prior to the Discount Tire ones. I’ll probably be getting wipers at Discount Tire again. And tires, naturally. (Though of course I will comparison shop when it’s time for new tires again.)

Bright Eyes
rob

Post by rob »

gavinsiu wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 1:42 pm Neither shop will do alignment.
I've noticed this and it's just beyond me - I redo the align on change of a full set... I stopped using Costco because of this since you then go somewhere else and the hassle like you mention at Sam's of waiting and waiting.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

baconavocado wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:02 pm I usually buy my tires through Tirerack and use one of their recommend installers, Pep Boys the last two times. Pep Boys used to operate like you described Sam's Club, but they have since transitioned to a "service advisor" model where there's a guy, probably working on commission, who tries to sell you a bunch of other stuff and pump up the bill somehow. I got out the door for $25/wheel for mounting and balancing but it was a battle from start to finish. When I got home I found out each tire had been overinflated to 40 psi. I won't be going back there.
I research and buy the best tires I can afford from TireRack and have them shipped to a local mechanic and then pay ~$100 for installation. When it's all said and done, the price is usually the same or a little cheaper when compared to the various alternatives. I get the impression that they're a little annoyed by TireRack when I call to make my appointment but they don't try to sell me anything when I'm there either.
Jeepergeo

Post by Jeepergeo »

My experience is with America's Tire, which I understand to be part of the Discount Tire family, and does business in California as America's Tire due to another tire business with "discount" in the name.

America's Tire has always provided me with stellar service at competitive prices, and that inlcudes new tires, rotations, flat repairs, and warranty replacements.

I appreciate being able to make appointments and they are very good at keeping appointments.

Price wise, they have been willing to match others including online as long as the price includes delivery to the installer, and even mount and balance prices. Typically, the insurance is extra. I used to go without the insurance, but when tires for my vehicles hit the $300 each price, I started buying the insurance. I've now had 4 tires replaced under warranty over the last 8 years (two in the last 6 months, one tire had under 2500 miles on it!), so I'm feeling OK about the warranty cost.

BTW, when a tire is replaced under warranty, one needs to buy the insurance again for that tire to keep the warranty in place. The warranty cost at that time will be based on the set percentage of the tire's current advertised price (originally, it would be the set percentage of the negotiated tire price).
adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I'd like to sell Discount Tire short because no company with so many satisfied customers can be adequately profitable.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I have replaced probably 8 to 10 sets of tires under a prorated warranty with Discount Tire. Never once have I been asked to prove alignment in fast they never even mentioned it...

I once had a tire warranty issue on a defective tire (tire pull) with one tire out of a set of Tires I purchased from Sams. Sams denied my warranty due to not rotating at their schedule (every 6,000 miles) vs what I normally rotate at 8,000 even though the issue had nothing to do with tread life...
I went over to Discount tire, explained the situation and they warrantied the tire for me. I will only use Discount Tire...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Gort wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:05 am What is a "cert"?
Its Discount tires extended warranty for a tire. Its the one extended warranty I do purchase and has almost always paid off...
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

I will also give an endorsement for Discount (a.k.a. America’s) Tires. I have previously used TireRack with a local small shop as installer and Costco - both of which are fine.

I hit a curb and blew out the sidewall of a fairly new tire on an AWD car last year, and they were the only place that was willing to do the legwork of measuring tread depth and determining that a single tire replacement was acceptable. When we replaced the tires on our other car, they ended up having the best price after rebates*, though I think this will be pretty variable depending on the tire. I think my strategy in the future will be to research on TireRack and then compare total price between them and Discount.

*Registering for and actually getting the rebate from the manufacturer was like staring into the abyss.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

SimonJester wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:48 pm

I have replaced probably 8 to 10 sets of tires under a prorated warranty with Discount Tire. Never once have I been asked to prove alignment in fast they never even mentioned it...

I once had a tire warranty issue on a defective tire (tire pull) with one tire out of a set of Tires I purchased from Sams. Sams denied my warranty due to not rotating at their schedule (every 6,000 miles) vs what I normally rotate at 8,000 even though the issue had nothing to do with tread life...
I went over to Discount tire, explained the situation and they warrantied the tire for me. I will only use Discount Tire...
I had a similar situation and the same resolution. I had a tire issue at Costco, where they wouldn't cover it due to a lack of precise tire rotation records, even though the issue had nothing to do with rotations. Discount had no issues warrantying the tire even though it was purchased at costco.

I had another set of tires from costco that wore out prematurely. Their warranty is a bit of a sham since they will give you either the prorated discount, or their current sale price, but not both. So to get the prorated portion back you have to pay list price on the replacement. Discount again helped me by giving me the prorated credit and allowing me to buy the tires at the current sales price (tires are always on sale). On top of that discount is much more efficient at getting you in and out. We spend a lot at costco but have switched to discount for tires for these reasons.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

I used to buy tires from Sams until they PO'd me one day. I had a pickup with tires purchased from Sam's that were ~ 5 years old with only ~ 35K miles on the set with a ton of tread left. I went for the free rotation, and Sams gave me a total hard time due to the age of tires. It was a huge hassle with them to the point I asked to see a manager who then agreed to rotate "one last" time. This interaction caused me to cancel my membership and drove me to Costco membership where I have purchased several sets of tires for family vehicles. Unfortunately, nothing happens fast at the Costco Tire Shop which then drove me to Discount Tire for my last tire purchase couple years ago for DD's vehicle. I like that rotations can be scheduled on-line and wait times are almost always < 30 minutes. They will match pricing of Costco or anyone else. Doubtful I will ever use Costco Tire Shop again for any future tire purchases as I'm a Discount Tire Man NOW!
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
meebers

Post by meebers »

I have been mainly a Discount tire person for several years. Free tire repairs for me and the wife's car even though she had not bought any tires from them. They have matched prices for me before etc. They seem to be the only people that will clean off the inside of you wheel mating surface and the drum/disk surface before mounting the new or re balanced tire, hand torque the nuts etc. Last encounter, I had a $$ set of Michelin tires that I wanted balanced. The tech used his cell phone to measure depth and said the LF tire was close to being beyond safe limits. The other 3 tires were acceptable. What is odd is that I had 18K miles on these [70000] tires. He would pro rate that one tire, and said I needed to buy 1 additional tire. The tire model that I had on there were no longer available. So 2 tires of one model and 2 tires of another model. This set me over the edge so to speak because 1 month earlier, refused doing anything at all with the tires on my truck due to "dry rot" 5 yrs old and 7500 miles. Seemed like, to me, buy 4 tires, give you a hand shake and a smile send you on your way. :shock: YMMV
Fremdon Ferndock

Post by Fremdon Ferndock »

Having used both, Sam's if you like waiting a long time (which means you can get your other shopping done at Sam's and have a hot dog and a mega-drink). I will say that once Sam's was willing to repair a puncture on my tire near the sidewall that another tire outfit (not Discount) wasn't willing to do. The tire subsequently lasted to the end of it's life.
"Risk is what’s left over when you think you’ve thought of everything." ~ Morgan Housel
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

meebers wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:53 pm I have been mainly a Discount tire person for several years. Free tire repairs for me and the wife's car even though she had not bought any tires from them. They have matched prices for me before etc. They seem to be the only people that will clean off the inside of you wheel mating surface and the drum/disk surface before mounting the new or re balanced tire, hand torque the nuts etc. Last encounter, I had a $$ set of Michelin tires that I wanted balanced. The tech used his cell phone to measure depth and said the LF tire was close to being beyond safe limits. The other 3 tires were acceptable. What is odd is that I had 18K miles on these [70000] tires. He would pro rate that one tire, and said I needed to buy 1 additional tire. The tire model that I had on there were no longer available. So 2 tires of one model and 2 tires of another model. This set me over the edge so to speak because 1 month earlier, refused doing anything at all with the tires on my truck due to "dry rot" 5 yrs old and 7500 miles. Seemed like, to me, buy 4 tires, give you a hand shake and a smile send you on your way. :shock: YMMV
Its pretty odd for one tire to wear unevenly... What was its tread depth and what were the others? I agree its usually best to replace two tires vs just one. Did you buy their "certs"? I would have insisted they prorate replace the other 3 tires based on tread life vs 18K miles...
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Is it odd a tire place doesn’t do alignments? Seems like that is the one time in my car journey when I know I need an alignment - when I am getting new tires and the old ones are wearing unevenly.

I usually find the best tire price on tire rack or on line on a popular tire avail locally. Add a little for what the local guy / gal needs to do extra and try to bargain From that price. I’ll have to try discount tire - I usually go to mavis but maybe they are owned by same corporation. Thanks.
oko

Post by oko »

valleyrock wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:47 pm Check the date on the tires before they go on. I got some at Sam's Club once that were old and out of date. You want them like fruit. Nice and ripe.

Oh, for good advice about tires for your car, differences between tire grades and a whole lot more, see your Owner's Manual. Who'd have thought?
I had the same experience. Sams installed 3 years old tires.
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

oko wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:10 am
valleyrock wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:47 pm Check the date on the tires before they go on. I got some at Sam's Club once that were old and out of date. You want them like fruit. Nice and ripe.

I had the same experience. Sams installed 3 years old tires.
Yeah, how many people really know to look at the date on a tire? I never knew that until I bumped into it with a bad tire. Probably says it in the owner's manual.

Stands to reason we want fresh tires if only because they start to crack on the sides with age, due to ozone in the air. There's the ozone layer way up there, which was in the news lately because it's healing up. But then there's the ozone at our level, which is no fun to breathe and gets involved in various chemical reactions, including making rubber deteriorate.
meebers

Post by meebers »

SimonJester wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:30 am
meebers wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:53 pm I have been mainly a Discount tire person for several years. Free tire repairs for me and the wife's car even though she had not bought any tires from them. They have matched prices for me before etc. They seem to be the only people that will clean off the inside of you wheel mating surface and the drum/disk surface before mounting the new or re balanced tire, hand torque the nuts etc. Last encounter, I had a $$ set of Michelin tires that I wanted balanced. The tech used his cell phone to measure depth and said the LF tire was close to being beyond safe limits. The other 3 tires were acceptable. What is odd is that I had 18K miles on these [70000] tires. He would pro rate that one tire, and said I needed to buy 1 additional tire. The tire model that I had on there were no longer available. So 2 tires of one model and 2 tires of another model. This set me over the edge so to speak because 1 month earlier, refused doing anything at all with the tires on my truck due to "dry rot" 5 yrs old and 7500 miles. Seemed like, to me, buy 4 tires, give you a hand shake and a smile send you on your way. :shock: YMMV
Its pretty odd for one tire to wear unevenly... What was its tread depth and what were the others? I agree its usually best to replace two tires vs just one. Did you buy their "certs"? I would have insisted they prorate replace the other 3 tires based on tread life vs 18K miles...
3/32" on Front left tire. Wear was even across the tire. Other tires were 7/32", (RF,RR and LR). DT did offer (had certs) and for a cost of 2 was near $450+ new certs. My calculation, about the same price as 2 new ones without any monkey business. I did mount original rear tires on the front and am monitoring its wear in the event there is something going on with alignment OR?? Did mount 2 new tires on rear, different brand. DT recommendation was that since I drive less than normal mileage, that I should use less expensive tires because dry rot will probably over ride the mileage guarantee as in my present situation. :!:
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

Sams lost my business when they insisted a tire purchased from them did not have a broken belt, but the wheel was "warped". I paid $70 for a new steel wheel and they mounted the tire on it. Lo and behold, the tire still had problems - they finally acknowledged that the belt was broken.

Never had a problem with Discount Tire. One thing they offer is road hazard for the tires that come on your new vehicle. My wife seems to attract nails in her tires. I purchased this warranty for her car and have already had one tire replaced under warranty.
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
coolasadog

Post by coolasadog »

Discount impressed me years ago. No waiting, no upselling, nice people, and good prices. I also liked TireRack for some car/size combinations. Now they are together it is :happy
mark_in_denver

Post by mark_in_denver »

Seems like an apple to orange comparison. Discount tires is all they do is tires, I'm sure it's well oil process. You use Sam's club to negotiate prices with the salesman at Discount if it's cheaper.
JBTX

Post by JBTX »

You can’t beat the convenience of DT. A month ago I gave my last car to daughter, then got a screw in it, and they ended up replacing the tire, with only replacement insurance cost. I think 3 out of the 4 tires are replacements. Then in my newer used car I got a screw in that and they repaired it for free. Both times in less than an hour. Convenient enough that when my wife has an issue she goes and has it taken care of herself vs getting me involved.
noriskfinance

Post by noriskfinance »

Where do you all purchase a maintenance plan for tires on a new car? I need tire balancing on new cars. Instead of paying one at a time, I purchase the plan at Sams for lifetime balance. Used to be 9.99 per tire but I think they increased it to 19.99 now. I don't drive much which is why this lasts for quite some time--usually 5+ years for me.
texas lawdog

Post by texas lawdog »

I bought a set of new Michelin tires last year at Discount Tire online and made a reservation to have installed. I had a couple of negative experiences with them: 1) they didn't check that the tires that I ordered were actually in stock when I arrived and ended up having to wait most of the day for them to locate tires at another shop and have them delivered and 2) they didn't check that the TPMS sensors were reset on my car after tire installation, so ended up having to wait a little longer for them to fix that issue. Usually don't have those issues, so gave them a low score on survey received. The manager called and apologized - hopefully they fixed those issues.