Small Pickup - Ford Maverick perhaps

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MP173

Small Pickup - Ford Maverick perhaps

Post by MP173 »

Been interested in a small pickup truck. The Ford Maverick seems to fit the bill.

Test drove one today and it fit - I am a tall person and there was plenty of room.

Availability is tight and the dealer had one - $11,000 over MSRP. No thanks.

Couple of questions:
1. Anyone here have one of these? The one I drove was a hybred with 37mpg on the sticker.
2. What are alternative small pickups with satisfaction? I really do not want a HUGE pickup.
3. I have not shopped around and am aware of the supply chain issues and lack of vehicles for sale...is $11k over MSRP typical?
4. Is 37mpg typical?

Ed
runner3081

Re: Small Pickup - Ford Maverick perhaps

Post by runner3081 »

Newly redesigned Nissan Frontier might be worth a check
bbqguru

Post by bbqguru »

I tried to order one for a fleet vehicle a couple of weeks ago and the dealer owner told me that no new orders are being taken for Mavericks. Thought it might be late fall before Ford opens up the order bank for 2024 models. He stressed that was a big if. What they had in transit was all they could offer and no one wanted to dealer trade them.

As far as I know, it's only offered in the hybrid version.

As for the amount over sticker being normal, no idea, but I'd guess there's a premium to be had on them.
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

Just fwiw, Toyota will becoming out with a Tacoma hybrid this fall; it might be worth waiting and checking that out.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Legendary Toyota Tacoma with V6 platform, 4wd.?

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
jharkin

Post by jharkin »

I don't know much about the Maverick, but apparently its even smaller than Ranger? If you really want something tiny (and if so, ask yourself why a truck?) then options are limited, but if you are looking at Ranger size then you should cross shop Nissan Frontier, Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Colorado, etc.

Tacoma is due for redesign apparently, will be worth checking that out. I just traded in my 2014 and never had a single problem with it. Got almost 70% of what I paid for it back! For a long time the Tacoma was the truck to beat in this segment (assuming you didn't get hit with the dreaded frame rust), however the second gen redesign from 2016 on got really mixed reviews over its lackluster powertrain. Hopefully the new one catapults back to the head pf the pack.

Having said all that, it very likely you will get more features and tech at a lower price point going to a Maverick, Ranger, Colorado - but reliability and resale wont touch the Toyota.

Another angle - If you just want a truck "look" but don't need off road capability and the tow/hauling advantages of body on frame then look at the Honda Ridgeline. Looks like a truck but drives like a car.
DoubleComma

Post by DoubleComma »

The Maverick is nice looking pickup, but what you plan to use the pickup for will really help point you down the right path.

Its hard to not consider the Tacoma, many years as the gold standard for highly capable mid-size pickup.

Personally its hard to allow fuel economy to be a primary evaluation element of a pickup. My pickup spends a tremendous percentage of its miles towing, hauling and using 4wd driving unpaved and/or snow covered roads; none of these activities lend themselves to great fuel economy.

I suggest evaluating how you plan to use it and match the vehicle to the task. If its basic errands with an occasional nursery or hardware store run any of the small/mid-size trucks that you physically are comfortable in should work great.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

DoubleComma wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:00 pm The Maverick is nice looking pickup, but what you plan to use the pickup for will really help point you down the right path.

Its hard to not consider the Tacoma, many years as the gold standard for highly capable mid-size pickup.
The Maverick isn't really a truck, and doesn't drive like one at all. The Tacoma is a truck and drives like it.

They're in stock around here. Maybe expand your search out a bit.
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

What do you want a truck for? If you want a truck to do truck things (haul, tow, etc), while still being easy to maneuver and reasonable on gas, don't overthink it and get a Tacoma
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm Legendary Toyota Tacoma with V6 platform, 4wd.?

j
Love my 2013 V6. Certainly not good on gas but aside from that it suits my needs perfectly. If I drove a LOT I probably would look at something different, but I don't.
desiboy

Post by desiboy »

Hyundai Santa Cruz, perhaps?
Opinika

Post by Opinika »

Love my 2017 Tacoma 4 cyl, 5-speed with AWD.

Sent my daughter off to college in upstate NY with it and never had to worry about her getting stuck in the snow.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Thanks for replies.

The reoccurring questions was "why a pickup?"

Here is what it would be used for and what is it is not required for:
1. Hauling light material such as mulch, leaves and grass clippings, etc. to and from the community composting center.
2. Gardening - I have multiple garden locations and am frequently moving soil or compost or garden tools.
3. Light hauling of boxes, etc.
4. Bike for remote locations. also, lawn mower, snow blower, etc.

Not:
1. Heavy towing such as boat, camper, trailer, etc.
2. Heavy aggregate such as gravel, etc.
3. Fashion
4. Off roading

My current vehicle - Equanox 2015 has 155k miles and no problems, but it is awkward to do above things at times. Plus it gets quite dirty with transporting of above commodities.

Always wanted a pickup truck and the small ones are starting to make a comeback.

I appreciate all the comments. Will look into the others recommended.

Ed
Watty

Post by Watty »

I ordered one in September for my wife and it is scheduled now so I will hopefully get it in April.

In many ways it is not really all that small it is more like what a mid-size pickup should be. It is just that all the other pickups have gotten so huge that the size ratings have been inflated. Apparently the Maverick is about the same size as a 1990s F150. If they made a two seat Maverick with a longer bed that would feel more mid-size.

Having the 5 seat club cab forced the bed to be short which makes it seem small but that is a bit misleading.

Something like a old Subaru Brat would truly be a small pickup and various brands have small trucks like those available in other countries.
MP173 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:31 pm 2. What are alternative small pickups with satisfaction? I really do not want a HUGE pickup.
An alternative to consider would be the Hyundai Santa Cruz. When I looked it I liked it and it seems to have a lot more features and better trim. A problem is that it sounds like they are making almost no low trim level ones which makes them too expensive. I also did not like the visibility out the rear so pay a lot of attention to that if you take one for a test drive. Several of the reviews I read also mentioned the visibility in the Santa Cruz as being a concern.
MP173 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:31 pm 3. I have not shopped around and am aware of the supply chain issues and lack of vehicles for sale...is $11k over MSRP typical?
There are really two different markets for Mavericks, for the Hybrid and the non-hybrid Ecoboost engine.

Even for a hybrid $11k over MSRP is unusually high but not unheard of.

The Ford ordering process has been a real mess. They only took orders for Mavericks for about 6 days in September and in that time they received about twice as many orders for the Hybrids as they can make in 2023 so about half the people who ordered Hybrids will not get them this year.

There were also lots of people who had ordered 2022s as far back as the fall of 2021 who are just now getting them built as a 2023.

The are planning on making about 35% of the Mavericks as Hybrids and 65% as non-hybrid.

The situation for the non-hybrid Ecoboost engine Maverick is a lot different since in September they only took orders for about about half as many as they can build. It sounds like if there is not some other constraint then all the ordered Ecoboost Mavericks could be built before summer. Even now on message boards people will sometimes post about finding an Ecoboost for MSRP but it takes a lot of luck and patience to find one of those.

It is not clear if Ford will allow more Ecoboosts to be ordered then or of they will just make them and send them to dealers lots. Either way if you can wait until summer and an Ecoboost would be OK you might be able to find one then.

The one that I expect to get in April is an Ecoboost.

We will not be putting a lot of miles on it and the Ecoboost MPG rating is not all that bad.

If you can wait and are flexible you may be able to find an Ecoboost this summer without a huge markup.

Another big constraint is that they are only making about 15% of them as the lower trim level XL versions. Many of those will to to fleet sales so it will be easier to get a higher trim level like the XLT that I am getting.

Working with a car dealership is never fun but the Ford dealers have been especially bad to work with and some of them have done last minute egregious markups even cars that customers had ordered a year before. The big problem is that there are over 3,000 of the which is way too many. In comparison there are about 1,500 Toyota dealerships. If you decide to shop for a Maverick be sure to be extra diligent and also research the dealership to try to avoid the worst of them.

The Maverick has already had more recalls than typical and the Hybrid has had some glitches that are being worked out. If you buy a used Maverick early production trucks may not have had all of those fixed so be sure that all the recalls have been done. In some cases there have been long waits to get the parts for a recall.
amock

Post by amock »

I have a hybrid Maverick and it is hard to imagine anything better for my purposes. I mostly drive into town and back and the gas mileage is very good in town. It's nice to not have a big truck when I'm parking or driving on smaller streets, but the bed is big enough for hauling trash to the dump or 4x8 sheets of material from the store with the tailgate halfway down. The tie down points in the bed make securing loads easy and I can fit 18 40lb bags of wood pellets in the bed with the tonneau cover closed. It has the factory installed hitch and I've used it to pull a small trailer a couple of time.

For the price (I bought it December 2021 before the price increases and not over MSRP) I don't think it could be any better. However, if it were a plug-in hybrid I think that would be ideal for my purposes since I do so much driving in town.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We have a Maverick hybrid, ordered soon after order banks opened in June '21 and took delivery in May of '22. It was worth the wait and our dealer stuck to MSRP and honored rebates. It's definitely a "budget truck", the interior is cheap plastic and parts bin, but it perfectly suits our needs. Has plenty of space for our family of 4 and it is just big enough for our adventures (camping, taking our bikes to the trails, small HD runs). If you drive it conservatively you can get WAY better than EPA mileage estimates. We're currently averaging 49.9mpg after ~5k miles, probably half those miles are my wife's all highway work commute and she has a led-foot. There are others on the Maverick forum who are averaging 50+ with more miles.

I wouldn't have paid over MSRP because we did not need a truck, but there really isn't a good alternative, especially at the pricepoint.
Onlineid3089

Post by Onlineid3089 »

I don't have any personal experience with the Maverick, but a co-worker has one and she loves it. Eco-boost XLT with awd.

Your use case sounds very similar to mine, and a smaller truck is perfect for me. I drive a 06 Canyon and my wife keeps telling me it's time to buy a new one. I've been very casually looking around with an eye towards buying in maybe a year unless the bottom falls out of the market on used Canyons or Ridgelines.

The only midsize or under truck on the market that meets all of my wants that I've found right now is the 23 Canyon. The 23 Colorado does too, but by the time it is optioned up I'd just get the Canyon instead. I have several wants, but the two that don't seem to co-exist on anything else are adaptive cruise and ventilated seats. Someday I'll have to decide if having both of those is really that important, and I expect I'll cross shop the Ridgeline and if available on lots at some point the Maverick.
Harmanic

Post by Harmanic »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:52 pm We have a Maverick hybrid, ordered soon after order banks opened in June '21 and took delivery in May of '22. It was worth the wait and our dealer stuck to MSRP and honored rebates. It's definitely a "budget truck", the interior is cheap plastic and parts bin, but it perfectly suits our needs. Has plenty of space for our family of 4 and it is just big enough for our adventures (camping, taking our bikes to the trails, small HD runs). If you drive it conservatively you can get WAY better than EPA mileage estimates. We're currently averaging 49.9mpg after ~5k miles, probably half those miles are my wife's all highway work commute and she has a led-foot. There are others on the Maverick forum who are averaging 50+ with more miles.

I wouldn't have paid over MSRP because we did not need a truck, but there really isn't a good alternative, especially at the pricepoint.
When I was helping my son look, we considered budget cars like the Chevy Spark and then the Maverick was announced. For an extra $4,000 it blows away budget cars by a long shot and gets better gas mileage. It is hard to believe that a Ford truck beats a subcompact car in MPG. But it's true. Amazing truck for the price.
illumination

Post by illumination »

Last I checked, the Toyota Tacoma has the highest resale of almost any vehicle you can buy. They definitely have a following, that would be my first choice for a smaller pickup.

I would just wait on any pickup or SUV purchase, prices are clearly coming down, but car dealers will play this game of shortages as long as possible. Eventually, the days of paying $11k over sticker for an economy pickup truck are going to come to a close.
holycow007

Post by holycow007 »

I reserved one and thinking of cancelling it
Did it unseen - visited a recent auto show and when all is said and done - spending north of 30K for a XLT version and the interior didn't work out for me
If I need a truck - may be. Its more of a want and so will take that 30K to buy a pre-owned Lexus with a nicer interior
mjg

Post by mjg »

You really should check out the Ford Ranger as well. I ordered my 2022 Ranger the end of Feb 2022 and it wasn't delivered to the dealer until the beginning of Oct 2022. Even though I am in CA, I ordered from Granger Ford in Iowa as they will take orders for 3% under invoice and you get any and all Ford rebates as well (the ones at order time or at delivery, which ever is better). And if prices increase during the waiting time for the build, your price is locked. In my case, the sticker MSRP at time of deliver was about 35.6K, and my price was 30.3K plus tax and registration - a very sweet deal. The Ranger is the Lariot trim, 2 wheel drive, 6' bed (Super Cab).

My prior truck (sold myself) was a 2001 Explorer Sport Trac bought new in 2001 and only had 71,500 miles when sold. I've always had a truck since 1989 - once you have a truck, you always want to have a truck.

The 2001 Sport Trac only got about 15 mpg whether it was highway or city, so as the third vehicle had only been driven anywhere from 1500 to 2500 miles a year for the majority of it's lifetime. Having bought new for about 27K in 2001, sold for 6.5K in Sept 2022, I'd say it was a frugal investment. And auto insurance thru Costco was only about $300 to $400 a year.

The new Ranger is so much nicer, and with it's 4 cylinder Eco-Boost (turbo) engine is getting me about 25.8 mpg since getting it back to CA. When I drove it back from Iowa to CA in October, we picked up a new horse trailer in Oklahoma on the way back. The Ranger is rated to tow 7500 lbs, the horse trailer empty was about 2700 lbs. I know you said you don't plan to tow, but having that towing capacity will help resale on the Ranger.

I expect to keep this Ranger again for the same 15 to 20 years as it will again only see about 2000 miles a year. Given low mileage use, and plan to keep a long time, I got the Ford $0 deductible factory extended warranty that covers 10 years/48,000 miles for $1050. It's really an additional 7 years over the 3 year warranty with the new truck, but for $150 a year (for the extra 7 years) with $0 deductible, it's a good value even if I never have a claim if only for peace of mind. But with all the electronics, and the turbo, it's likely one or two issues year 4 thru 10 would be more than the price of the warranty.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

illumination wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:57 pm Last I checked, the Toyota Tacoma has the highest resale of almost any vehicle you can buy. They definitely have a following, that would be my first choice for a smaller pickup.

The Tacoma is getting a revamp for '24. Yes it has the best resale, but drive it; slow, uncomfortable, poor handling, sucks gas, chintzy interior, etc. It's also pretty darn expensive, especially compared to the Maverick. The only thing it has on competitors is (possible) off-road capability and Toyota's reliability reputation. Big Toyota fan, but I'd personally have a really hard time paying the premium...then again $11k over MSRP is INSANE (although I know people who have paid more for a Maverick).
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

MP173 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:17 pm Thanks for replies.

1. Hauling light material such as mulch, leaves and grass clippings, etc. to and from the community composting center.
2. Gardening - I have multiple garden locations and am frequently moving soil or compost or garden tools.

Not:
3. Fashion
4. Off roading

My current vehicle - Equanox 2015 has 155k miles and no problems, but it is awkward to do above things at times. Plus it gets quite dirty with transporting of above commodities.

Always wanted a pickup truck and the small ones are starting to make a comeback.

Ed
Your intended use screams for a small utility trailer, not a new truck. I have a 1/2 ton pickup but use my 4x8' 1720 pound rated Harbor Freight utility trailer for the jobs you mention. It is much easier to load/unload a low trailer vs a pickup bed. Wood sides and a tarp hold mulch and other loose stuff. Strap down appliances, bikes, boxes, furniture or whatever else you want to haul. You can unload in 30 seconds by disconnecting the trailer vs. shoveling stuff out of your bed. Just disconnect and push it across the lawn to spread your mulch instead of having to shovel into a wheelbarrow or yard cart. Biggest negative is having somewhere to store it, but the HF version can fold up and stand in a roughly 2x5' space in your garage.

I believe the Equinox is rated up to 1500 pounds for towing - verify your exact model. Other mid size SUVs can go higher if you still want a new vehicle. You might want to go for a hitch mounted bike carrier if you transport bikes often and don't need the capacity of a trailer. Your local U-Haul can get you set up with a hitch for around $300.

The HF trailer does require a weekend of assembly and additional wood for a deck and sides, not to mention a spare tire. You will also want to learn how to pack wheel bearings - a bit messy but not complicated. You can also get prebuilt small trailers at your big box stores in the $1000-$2000 range, not to mention the used market.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

Sandtrap wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 2:40 pm Legendary Toyota Tacoma with V6 platform, 4wd.?

j
I have a 2012 that will last longer than I do. It "only" has 111,000 miles on it and runs like new. Since it's over a decade old, it qualifies as a legend.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

A small pickup truck that is reliable, durable, holds its value = Toyota Tacoma. You probably won’t find those features in today’s most “trendy” truck.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

My son's first "car" in high school.
Standard shift, roll down windows, no radio, lot's of storage space.
Blue Betsy:

Betsy had the venerable Toyota 22R 4 cylinder engine. No luxuries. And had nearly 200k miles before I got her.
Betsy was handed down to me from an old friend.
I drove Betsy for 4 years.
Then I handed down Betsy to my son who drove it for another 4 years.
Then, my son gave Betsy back to me and bought a VW Golf something and regretted it.
I drove Betsy for several more years just to do hardware store errands, then sold.
Eventual total mileage, unknown.

The roots of the Toyota Tacoma are in the Toyota Pickup Truck.

j
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat »

MP173 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:17 pm Thanks for replies.

Not:
3. Fashion
4. Off roading

Ed
I have a 2022 Maverick Hybrid, IMO your uses are perfect for the vehicle. I got the vehicle to replace 2013 Accord (my daily driver) and to replace my 1999 Chevy 1T as I no longer needed that big of a truck. I've been really happy with it. Would I pay $11k over MSRP... no way.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bradinsky wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:19 am A small pickup truck that is reliable, durable, holds its value = Toyota Tacoma. You probably won’t find those features in today’s most “trendy” truck.
Toyota sells ~250k Tacomas in the U.S. every year and the numbers have gone up considerably recently, Ford has sold <90k Mavericks to date (over nearly two years). Granted, they could have probably sold twice as much if they could make them fast enough. Certainly Tacomas have the durability reputation (although they've had their issues, ie. frame rusting), but there are some cons compared to alternatives (cost, overall on-road performance, fuel efficiency, etc.). With resale, if OP doesn't like the Maverick, it probably wouldn't be an issue - I can sell mine today for ~$10k more than I bought it for ($26.2K OTD) last year. Of course that will change, but with Ford not seeming too interested in building more (especially the hybrid), I bet the demand exceeds supply for a while.

OP doesn't sound like they really need a pickup and that it only peaked their interest with the newer small and fuel-efficient offerings. We were in the exact same position 1.5yrs ago - we love our Maverick hybrid.
Last edited by stoptothink on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
FrugalConservative

Post by FrugalConservative »

Tacoma hands down.

Good luck with any domestic after 5 years. Go on forums and research yourself.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

FrugalConservative wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:43 am Tacoma hands down.
Curious why that's the refrain in here and not the Ridgeline? Ridgeline seems a bit more polished, and for someone considering a Maverick, that seems more aligned. Seems like it would get you Tacoma's reliability, with an experience closer to the Maverick.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

Looks like $5K over is about market going rate. Check out the comments on the past sales on Cars and Bids - https://carsandbids.com/search/ford/maverick
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bwalling wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:01 pm
Curious why that's the refrain in here and not the Ridgeline? Ridgeline seems a bit more polished, and for someone considering a Maverick, that seems more aligned. Seems like it would get you Tacoma's reliability, with an experience closer to the Maverick.
I wonder if people who immediately say "Tacoma" have driven the Tacoma and competitors? It absolutely has its merits, but it feels and performs a decade (or more) behind its competitors, and it's expensive. It absolutely drives like a truck, which the Maverick really doesn't, but I'm not sure that is a plus for OP (it wouldn't be for me). If OP was determined to drive this vehicle for 20yrs, we'd probably all agree Tacoma is the best bet, but I did not see that anywhere. Ridgeline is a really nice vehicle, but it's bigger, more expensive, and more of a gas hog than the Maverick. The Hyundai Santa Cruz is probably more aligned with OP's needs (although IMO it's so ugly).
Watty

Post by Watty »

Pricewise those are mostly in a different market.

The Maverick starts out at less than $24K.

The comparable Tacoma double cab starts out at about $35K and the Ridgeline starts out at almost $40K.

It is no surprise that they can't make enough of the hybrid version of the Maverick for $24K that seats five people and gets 37 mpg. That is even a real viable alternative to some cars like the Corolla or Civic.

I agree that if you are going to load up a Maverick that will cost $35K or more then there are likely better alternatives for most people.
bwalling

Post by bwalling »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:51 pm Looks like $5K over is about market going rate. Check out the comments on the past sales on Cars and Bids - https://carsandbids.com/search/ford/maverick
They're on lots in Florida and can be had for MSRP or a little under.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Watty wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 2:10 pm
Pricewise those are mostly in a different market.

The Maverick starts out at less than $24K.

The comparable Tacoma double cab starts out at about $35K and the Ridgeline starts out at almost $40K.

It is no surprise that they can't make enough of the hybrid version of the Maverick for $24K that seats five people and gets 37 mpg. That is even a real viable alternative to some cars like the Corolla or Civic.

I agree that if you are going to load up a Maverick that will cost $35K or more then there are likely better alternatives for most people.
The base Maverick hybrid starts at $22,195, and that is after a not insignificant price increase for '23. Ours, a '22 XLT with a few other options (spray-in bedliner, tonneau cover, floor mats) was $26.2K out the door - a similarly equipped Corolla hybrid (LE premium) would have been >$2k more (that is what we were looking at when the Maverick was announced). I don't think people really understand the difference in cost (and fuel efficiency) between the Maverick and anything else on the market, if you can get a dealer to sell you one for MSRP.
ronno2018

Post by ronno2018 »

Sort of related to the utility trailer suggestion -- these Japanese mini trucks are cool -- https://minitrucks.net/products/1998-suzuki-carry-4wd :sharebeer
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

OP here again. Thanks for all replies and recommendations.

Just to summarize:
1. I do not need a big pickup truck. My Equanox is handling most needs now, but a pickup would be better equipped.
2. Current Equinox has 155k miles. I am planning ahead for next vehicle. I like the Equinox...very economical to operate, but the SUV compartment for hauling is not efficient.
3. A trailer was suggested. Thanks, but it will not work as I would need to apply a hitch to a 155k vehicle. Plus the trailer would require storage and we are not taking any reservations at this time for items in our garage.
4. Not looking for a 20 year vehicle. Current age is 67. A 10 year vehicle will be just fine.
5. Looked at Nissan Frontier on a dealer lot. Looks a little bigger than needed.
6. Saw a Santa Cruz on the road today....I agree - aesthetically challenging, but I will research.
7. IF I can find a Maverick at a decent premium over MSRP, I will take it.
8. Finally, I have a rule which hopefully will be able to adhere to...never pay more for a vehicle than I did for my first house.

Ed
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:26 am
bradinsky wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:19 am A small pickup truck that is reliable, durable, holds its value = Toyota Tacoma. You probably won’t find those features in today’s most “trendy” truck.
Toyota sells ~250k Tacomas in the U.S. every year and the numbers have gone up considerably recently, Ford has sold <90k Mavericks to date (over nearly two years). Granted, they could have probably sold twice as much if they could make them fast enough. Certainly Tacomas have the durability reputation (although they've had their issues, ie. frame rusting), but there are some cons compared to alternatives (cost, overall on-road performance, fuel efficiency, etc.). With resale, if OP doesn't like the Maverick, it probably wouldn't be an issue - I can sell mine today for ~$10k more than I bought it for ($26.2K OTD) last year. Of course that will change, but with Ford not seeming too interested in building more (especially the hybrid), I bet the demand exceeds supply for a while.

OP doesn't sound like they really need a pickup and that it only peaked their interest with the newer small and fuel-efficient offerings. We were in the exact same position 1.5yrs ago - we love our Maverick hybrid.
I was in no way downing the Maverick. Just the $11K over sticker. That is why I’d opt for the Tacoma. Glad to hear that you’re satisfied with your purchase. I’ve had a few F-150s in my life & was always satisfied with the brand.
warowits

Post by warowits »

bwalling wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:26 pm
toomanysidehustles wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:51 pm Looks like $5K over is about market going rate. Check out the comments on the past sales on Cars and Bids - https://carsandbids.com/search/ford/maverick
They're on lots in Florida and can be had for MSRP or a little under.
I would venture a guess that this is inaccurate. Actually I clicked on the link and there were 0 for sale. I don’t know why people feel threatened by this truck. It isn’t a replacement for your F150, it’s a replacement for your ford focus. Does anyone really think it isn’t better than a focus?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bradinsky wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 8:15 pm

I was in no way downing the Maverick. Just the $11K over sticker. That is why I’d opt for the Tacoma. Glad to hear that you’re satisfied with your purchase. I’ve had a few F-150s in my life & was always satisfied with the brand.
If order banks are still open (which I can not confirm) OP can get a Maverick at MSRP, but they will have to order and wait. It's a frustrating game, we were the 2nd Maverick order for our dealership and ended up waiting 11-months. It is much easier to get an ecoboost model, the wait would likely be just a few months (similar to ordering any other vehicle these days). Doesn't sound like OP needs a vehicle now, so it might be worth it to place and order and see how it goes - they can always back out if it takes too long and the dealership would be overjoyed if they did not accept the order upon delivery. Considering OP has said repeatedly that they don't need a truck and the smaller size of the Maverick is the primary reason they are interested, there really isn't another alternative (Hyundai Santa Cruz is the closest, but it's more expensive, less fuel efficient, and so ugly).

I wish Hyundai would have made a decent direct competitor for the Maverick and they already have the hybrid powerplants. I could have even lived with how ugly it is if it matched the pricepoint and fuel efficiency. Ford just shocked the market with the pricepoint. My family has had fantastic experience with Hyundais, we had none with Ford.
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

As a Tacoma owner (supercharged! :D ) I think the new Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado have caught up and offer a better product. The Ford Ranger TREMOR edition is pretty darn awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BExI326rdt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11oDWr7_vj0

The Tacoma is old tech today, but new 2024 models have been spotted.
:sharebeer
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

toomanysidehustles wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:48 am

As a Tacoma owner (supercharged! :D ) I think the new Ford Ranger and Chevy Colorado have caught up and offer a better product. The Ford Ranger TREMOR edition is pretty darn awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BExI326rdt0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11oDWr7_vj0

The Tacoma is old tech today, but new 2024 models have been spotted.
:sharebeer
Driving a Tacoma today feels like driving a 20yr old car compared to alternatives: they're uncomfortable, interior is chintzy, perform poorly on the road, and suck gas. My brother recently bought a '23 4-runner TRD pro, and it's exactly the same - I could not believe someone would spend $60k on that vehicle to drive primarily on the street, although I bet it's amazing off-road. If you need something to last 20yrs, it is certainly your best bet though. Maybe the '24 will be a major upgrade, but little info out yet.
ychuck46

Post by ychuck46 »

We have had a hybrid Ford Maverick since April 2022. Luckily we got our order in early, before they even started building the hybrid version, and did not have a markup. The truck is phenomenal and has exceeded our expectations. On our drives into town (10 miles away) and around the area, basically non-highway, we routinely average 55-60 mpg. If on the highway going 70 or more it will drop down to 37 mpg or so, especially with the hills we have here in TN. Even for a lower cost vehicle (all in with taxes, etc we were about $24K) it has a lot of nice touches like heated steering wheel and seats, something my 2012 F-150 Supercrew never had. Personally I would place an order and wait for delivery before I would ever pay some dealer an obscene markup.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

OP here.

Call from dealer salesman today...i knew this was coming.

After asking if I was still interested asked if $30k would be of interest (if he could sell his manager).

"no, I am not participating at that price". Call back when it comes down in price, perhaps to mid 20's.

ed