No SS card no access to new ETrade account

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
adzio

Re: No SS card no access to new ETrade account

Post by adzio »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:53 pm the rep told me that I could use a "certified" medical record extract for my ID. Which apparently means any document identifying a medical office (like letterhead or heading), having my name and my d.o.b, and being signed (by pen in ink - not a preprinted signature) by any office employee. It does have to contain a one-line statement preceding the signature:

"I certify that the information contained in this document is accurate."

And the office person signing has to print their name as well.

So I called my most-recently-visited Dr.'s office, which had never had such a request and probably thought I was crazy, and they're trying see what they can come up with. I'll try to remember to post back with the outcome in a couple of weeks if this actually works.
Soooooo tibbitts, how did that work out in the end?
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

This has got to be the creepiest thread in a long time. Mailing original docs :shock: :shock: Can't remember the last time I had to show an SS card, but it's sitting there just in case.
OK, time to get moving on that Real ID thing I've been putting off. Whoopie! A trip to DMV . . .
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

adzio wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:42 am
tibbitts wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:53 pm the rep told me that I could use a "certified" medical record extract for my ID. Which apparently means any document identifying a medical office (like letterhead or heading), having my name and my d.o.b, and being signed (by pen in ink - not a preprinted signature) by any office employee. It does have to contain a one-line statement preceding the signature:

"I certify that the information contained in this document is accurate."

And the office person signing has to print their name as well.

So I called my most-recently-visited Dr.'s office, which had never had such a request and probably thought I was crazy, and they're trying see what they can come up with. I'll try to remember to post back with the outcome in a couple of weeks if this actually works.
Soooooo tibbitts, how did that work out in the end?
I thought I had reported back in one thread or another (there have been a few) about the outcome, but it worked perfectly. The Dr.'s office was extremely cooperative and provided exactly the documentation I needed.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

legio XX wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:53 am This has got to be the creepiest thread in a long time. Mailing original docs :shock: :shock: Can't remember the last time I had to show an SS card, but it's sitting there just in case.
OK, time to get moving on that Real ID thing I've been putting off. Whoopie! A trip to DMV . . .
That trip to DMV (or RMV) doesn't always work! Tried to get a Real ID when we moved to MA. They have a rule that no documents can be "laminated." Ages ago I had put a strip of Scotch tape over the number on my SS card to protect it. That made it unacceptable! @#$#@! So I settled for a regular license. Couldn't get to see SSA office for a replacement card due to Covid, and didn't want to mail in documents. Will try again. On-line was not possible either for me due to where/when my card was issued. Next renewal maybe 'll try AAA and hope they aren't that crazy. Anyway I did see that Real ID is again not required by TSA for another 2 years or so.