What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ruralavalon

Re: What Book Are You Currently Reading? Part VI

Post by ruralavalon »

InMyDreams wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:04 pm Ann Cleeves' Shetland series. Haven't seen the Shetland TV series, but it was Vera on the tube that started me looking at her writing.
I have read her Shetland books, very good in my opinion. The T.V. Series is also very good, the scenery is as good as the stories.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I just finished The Turn of the Screw by Henty James, 1898

I guess it could be called a psychological ghost story. A young woman takes on the job of governess of two children, a boy and his younger sister. They all live in a spooky mansion. The governess is the narrator and tells the story in the first person. It becomes apparent that she may not be a reliable witness to whatever it is that is (or is not) happening. There are many discussions of the psychological aspects of this story on the Internet.

I read it because of the movie The Innocents, with Deborah Kerr, who plays the governess. The movie is outstanding, so I had to read the book it is based on.

I found the book's prose a little hard to "get into." The words that come to mind are "turgid" and "florid." Perhaps somewhere between? There are lots of long sentences with lots of subordinate clauses. Is that a feature of 1898 or of Henry James? Either way, it is worth the effort. I can see why it is such an influential book. Every story with spooky kids comes from this one! But are the kids really spooky or is it all in the mind of the governess? And the kids aren't the only spooky characters.

Recommended, as is the movie The Innocents.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:06 pm (Re)-reading The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, by Stieg Larsson.

Boy, the three books by Stieg Larsson are so good... and (the first of) the continuations by David Lagercrantz was such a stinker.
I read all three in a week about a decade back. The very definition of "page turners".
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Just finished "The Furies" by John Connolly.

The volume actually contains two novella - "The Sisters Strange", which Connolly wrote during the Covid lockdown and he released a chapter on an ongoing basis on his website. The author then re-wrote the story, adding more detail.

The second story is "The Furies". Both are about 250 pages in length and read easily. Charlie Parker is in both with Louis and Angel making cameo appearances. Neither of these are as dark as his past works.

Both deal with women who are either abused or being taken advantage of.

I am a Connolly fan, but at times his work goes very dark, bordering on para-normal experiences. "The Furies" touches on that but not nearly as dark.

Very good stories.

Ed
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

nisiprius wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:06 pm (Re)-reading The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest, by Stieg Larsson.

Boy, the three books by Stieg Larsson are so good... and (the first of) the continuations by David Lagercrantz was such a stinker.
I've listened to the original three twice via Audible. I agree; they're excellent. I read the first David Lagercrantz book too and wasn't impressed.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Island of Blue Foxes, by Stephen R. Brown.

This is an amazing history of the Russian scientific expeditions to Kamchatka and Alaska in 1730-1742, led by Virus Bering. There was near starvation and scurvy while marooned on an desolate arctic island, where they had to build a new ship out of the wreckage of their old ship in order to rescue themselves. The dangers faced and overcome are hard to fathom, seem incredible to me.

Recommended.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough
It’s a bio of young Theodore Roosevelt
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ruralavalon wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:02 pm Island of Blue Foxes, by Stephen R. Brown.

This is an amazing history of the Russian scientific expeditions to Kamchatka and Alaska in 1730-1742, led by Virus Bering. There was near starvation and scurvy while marooned on an desolate arctic island, where they had to build a new ship out of the wreckage of their old ship in order to rescue themselves. The dangers faced and overcome are hard to fathom, seem incredible to me.

Recommended.
I added it to my reading list. Thanks.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

bertilak wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:01 pm

I found the book's prose a little hard to "get into." The words that come to mind are "turgid" and "florid." Perhaps somewhere between? There are lots of long sentences with lots of subordinate clauses. Is that a feature of 1898 or of Henry James?
I agree (turgid and florid), and actually, I found James somewhat less "guilty" than most of the other writers in the English language during what I may be incorrectly labeling the "Romantic" period- post-French Revolution and pre-Hemingway. I am a fan of very few examples of English language literature during that period. If the people who lived back then were anything like most of the characters in the novels of that period, I am really glad I didn't live back then, because there are precious few that I could stand , or even relate to.

I just finished my second collection of short stories by George Saunders, CivilWarLand in Bad Decline. It was almost as good as the first collection I read, Tenth of December. Incredible writing....the polar opposite of Victorian turgid and florid. Extremely dark and dystopic and extremely funny and insightful at the same time. I have heard a few critics call him the greatest short story writer ever. I avoid such superlatives when it comes to art, but he is certainly imho a contender.
I also tried getting into his novel Lincoln in the Bardo, that was critically acclaimed and won a bunch of awards, but I couldn't get into it.
sandburg

Post by sandburg »

mike@jb wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:15 pm Mornings on Horseback by David McCullough
It’s a bio of young Theodore Roosevelt
If you like this book then be sure to read Edmund Morris's trilogy about Roosevelt.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I just finished Louise Penny's latest in her Chief Inspector Gamache series, A World of Curiosities. Set in Three Pines; all the familiar characters are there. Lots of misdirection (for me) and sometimes confusing (for me). But, it all works. The early part comes across as a hagiography of the Chief Inspector.

As I write this I suggest that if you're coming to the Three Pines' books because of the amazon tv series (or any other reason) that this is not the book to start with. Curiosities is Penny's 18th Gamache book so there's a lot of background to each of the familiar characters. The major characters are easily identified, but much familiarity of the secondary and tertiary characters backgrounds seems assumed.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

heartwood:

Thanks for the advice for Louise Penney. We enjoyed the series on Amazon. I picked up one of her books (4th) at the library and the check out person recommended I start at the first one....she ordered it and I just picked it up.

Finished David Housewright's "Something Wicked"...another McKenzie thriller. I missed the next to last one.

Also reading "Still Distracted After All These Years" by Kathleen Nadeau, PHD. Subtitled "Help and Support for Older Adults with ADHD."

We think of ADHD being a young person's issue, but the author provides considerable guidance for older adults. Both my sons were diagnosed with ADHD - both different symptoms and effects. Both have successfully navigated thru school, college and are firmly established in careers. Both have been a challenge for me at times, but nothing severe. It was suspected by their Psychiatrist that it was inherited from me (their mother was definately NOT ADHD). Reading the book, it appears their Dr. was correct. I have managed quite well....but there are times I annoy my current DW. From the book it is easy to see why and I am making an effort to modify.

Pretty good book.

Ed
mega317

Post by mega317 »

I've read 10 books since I last posted, I'm in a good groove. Highlights only here:

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir. I disliked The Martian so much I'm surprised I even picked this up, but I liked it quite a bit. Much more wide ranging.

The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz. Interestingly done mystery where the author is a character. I enjoyed how he painted himself as kind of a whiner, out of place, trying to inject himself into the "story".

What If 2 by Randall Munroe. An internet cartoonist/scientist answering crazy hypothetical questions. I've enjoyed everything he's done and the library waitlist suggests I'm not alone.

It was a fiction-heavy season for some reason. I have some more nonfiction on the list.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 »

I’m a few chapters into John Sanfords Righteous Prey. Keeps making me want to keep going to see what happens next.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

A World of Curiosities, by Louise Penny.

Inspector Gamache struggles with dark villains from the past in Three Pines, Quebec. Kind of disappointing :( , very complex plot, it was hard to keep the characters straight.
Blues

Post by Blues »

An oldie by Zane Grey..."The Man of the Forest" from 1920.

It's a nice change of pace.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard. It's been reviewed here and I will add my recommendation.

With a library full of history books, this is one of the few I would recommend to those who say they don't like history. It's written in the narrative history format - as a story. It's a personal history, a political history and a medical history all rolled into one. In the end, it wasn't the assassin's bullet that killed him, but his doctors.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Tue Jan 10, 2023 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“To be a Virginian either by Birth, Marriage, Adoption, or even on one’s Mother’s side, is an Introduction to any State in the Union, a Passport to any Country, and a Benediction from Above.”—Anonymous
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

Robert Pobi, Under Pressure. It's the 2nd in his series of his Lucas Page books. I read the 1st, City of Windows, then the 3rd, Do No Harm, due to availability at my library. I had no problem in reading them out of order.

Page is a former FBI agent, injured in a case before the series starts. He's now a professor at Columbia, and has an amazing ability to process things in his head.

Never heard of him before a WSJ review of his 3rd book last year.

I like the writing and the several recurring characters.
ekid

Post by ekid »

Blues wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:39 pm An oldie by Zane Grey..."The Man of the Forest" from 1920.

It's a nice change of pace.
Ha! Zane Grey was one of my favorites back 60+ years ago.

I tried re-reading as an adult...unreadable.
ekid

Post by ekid »

Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard. It's been reviewed here and I will add my recommendation.

With a library full of history books, this is one of the few I would recommend to those who say they don't like history. It's written in the narrative history format - as a story. It's a personal history, a political history and a medical history all rolled into one. In the end, it wasn't the assassin's bullet that killed him, but his doctors.
His doctors had political opinions and murdered him?!
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ekid wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:24 pm
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:53 pm Destiny of the Republic: A Tale of Madness, Medicine and the Murder of a President by Candice Millard. It's been reviewed here and I will add my recommendation.

His doctors had political opinions and murdered him?!
No, a madman shot him but it was the incompetence of the doctors that finished him off. And they executed the madman even though it was obvious he was insane.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

I’m now rereading The Diary of Samuel Pepys again, one entry per day, just as he wrote it, from 01 January 1660 to 31 May 1669. (I’ll finish on that latter date in 2032). You can read along too, the entire diary is online. Catch up by reading the first ten days at once.
CBL

Post by CBL »

I’m finally gettting around to All The Kings Men by Robert Penn Warren. Very good audiobook narrator that fits the narrator of the book perfectly.
Ain’t Life Grand
MP173

Post by MP173 »

William Inboden - "The Peacemaker" - coverage of the Reagan Presidency, particularly the Cold War issues with Soviet Union, but covers other foreign relations aspects including Central American, Middle East, Japan, and China.

Excellent and fair writing.

Ed
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I finished Livid by Patricia Cornwell. It's a Scarpetta book, the Medical Examiner. I haven't read one of her books in years.

It started well and then disappointed me in the middle and through the end. Much too much subplot about microwave weapons. Many poorly developed characters, even the ones from her previous novels. Not recommended.
mancich

Post by mancich »

Shadow Divers by Robert Kurson
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

The Immortal Irishman, by Timothy Egan.

This is a biography of Thomas Francis Meagher. He was an Irish revolutionary condemned to death as a traitor by the English, exiled to Tasmania, escaped captivity in Tasmania, came to the U.S., became a Union general in the Civil War, and was then acting Governor of Montana Territory during the early days of vigilante "justice". An interesting life of a person I had never heard of before, recommended.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

ruralavalon wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:10 pm The Immortal Irishman, by Timothy Egan.

This is a biography of Thomas Francis Meagher. He was an Irish revolutionary condemned to death as a traitor by the English, exiled to Tasmania, escaped captivity in Tasmania, came to the U.S., became a Union general in the Civil War, and was then acting Governor of Montana Territory during the early days of vigilante "justice". An interesting life of a person I had never heard of before, recommended.
I read this a couple of years ago. Also recommend. I have read many of Egan's works. He always picks out a slice to do a deep dive on that most people would not have read about. The Big Burn was also a good one.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Getting away from fiction and biographies for a while to "learn" (via youtube) deep learning. Doubling back to some old stuff from many years ago since so much is based on Linear Algebra. Found a nice refresher GNU licensed book: A First Course in Linear Algebra by Robert A. Beezer found here: http://linear.ups.edu/download/fcla-3.50-tablet.pdf
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Picasso's War (listening on Audible, for a book club with some Instagram artist friends. It's a really interesting art history book about how modern art came to the United States; Germany and Russia were way ahead of New York City, which lagged behind.

One thing about a book club: you read books you would not have chosen to read on your own. My initial learning (which seems obvious now that I am writing it), is the important effect that dedicated collectors had upon the art available in New York City in the early days of abstract expressionism. John Quinn, an attorney, was a visionary and brought work from Europe to the United States and was instrumental in changing the expensive tax treatment of recent (as opposed to old) art brought into the United States, which legally inhibited the importation of abstract art in the early days.
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

"A Serpent's Tooth" by Craig Johnson. This is 9th book in the Longmire series. Excellent entertainment.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

I recently finished 2 Stephen King novels: The Shining & Misery. Both were very good but both quite a bit different than the movie versions. The Shining more psychological and Misery more “brutal” (for a lack of a better word) IMO
I’m following those up with Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. It’s decent/interesting but somewhat slow. Reads more like a history novel.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

Just finished The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy. His other books include All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian, the Road, and No Country for Old Men. He's one of, if not my favorite American author. However, I found The Passenger disjointed and tedious to read. The writing style seemed different in this one. He doesn't use his words as efficiently. Maybe the companion book Stella Maris ties up some of this one's loose ends. I haven't read it yet Not sure I will. Reading this one was a real chore.
CBL

Post by CBL »

OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:06 pm Just finished The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy. His other books include All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian, the Road, and No Country for Old Men. He's one of, if not my favorite American author. However, I found The Passenger disjointed and tedious to read. The writing style seemed different in this one. He doesn't use his words as efficiently. Maybe the companion book Stella Maris ties up some of this one's loose ends. I haven't read it yet Not sure I will. Reading this one was a real chore.
I recently finished the Passenger - my first McCarthy. It was tedious in places but worthwhile. I have no interest in Stella Maris but plan to read all the books you mentioned.
Ain’t Life Grand
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

CBL wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:22 pm
OpenMinded1 wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:06 pm Just finished The Passenger by Cormac McCarthy. His other books include All the Pretty Horses, Blood Meridian, the Road, and No Country for Old Men. He's one of, if not my favorite American author. However, I found The Passenger disjointed and tedious to read. The writing style seemed different in this one. He doesn't use his words as efficiently. Maybe the companion book Stella Maris ties up some of this one's loose ends. I haven't read it yet Not sure I will. Reading this one was a real chore.
I recently finished the Passenger - my first McCarthy. It was tedious in places but worthwhile. I have no interest in Stella Maris but plan to read all the books you mentioned.
I recommend Suttree also. I greatly enjoyed all the books mentioned above except The Passenger. All the Pretty Horses is probably my favorite. No Country for Old Men is great too, but I like the end of the movie better than the end of the book. Their endings are substantially different.
Blues

Post by Blues »

I like everything by McCarthy including all of the above mentioned. I thought "The Passenger" was brilliant in retrospect. (Reminded me of "Five Easy Pieces" to some extent in terms of the character's failure to find a place in the world...but it is much deeper still and some of that is alluded to in "Stella Maris" parenthetically.)

Each of his books is an interesting trip. As I recall, "Suttree" was my first or second read...around the same time I read the "Border Trilogy".

Worth the effort.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Blues wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:41 am I like everything by McCarthy including all of the above mentioned. I thought "The Passenger" was brilliant in retrospect. (Reminded me of "Five Easy Pieces" to some extent in terms of the character's failure to find a place in the world...but it is much deeper still and some of that is alluded to in "Stella Maris" parenthetically.)

Each of his books is an interesting trip. As I recall, "Suttree" was my first or second read...around the same time I read the "Border Trilogy".

Worth the effort.

I read Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian (after The Road), and I am less enthusiastic about it than just about everybody else I know who read it , so take my criticism with that in mind. Most people I know who read it loved it. I was very impressed by it, and deeply admired the writing, but I didn't love the book. ("You did everything you could, Doctor, but the patient still died.") I wanted to like it more than I did.

The positive:

McCarthy's writing was amazing. His descriptions were beautiful, lush and lavish....Melville comes to my mind. And I didn't find it very difficult to read. (Many described it as very challenging. I didn't find it anywhere near as challenging as DeLillo or Joyce or Pynchon or Durrell or even Faulkner, though I would recommend reading via e-reader rather than print because unless you are a walking OED you will probably have to look up the meaning of at least one word per page, which I find distracting).

That said, I felt the novel lacked forward momentum and, with few brief exceptions, just meandered. Several pages of long sentences describing in glorious detail the southwestern desert landscape and its 1849 inhabitants, perforated by one gruesome, gory massacre after another...another trek through landscape....another massacre....another trek...another massacre....no real direction or anything to captivate the reader with surprise past the first fifty pages or so. There were several interesting existential monologues (mostly by the character known as "The Judge"), but even these seemed to lack direction. Perhaps that was the whole point....the meaninglessness of all the carnage. Melville at least understood momentum.

So I would judge McCarthy as an amazing and incredibly sensitive technician with language, but not such an amazing story-teller. The same was true of The Road (which I read before Blood Meridian, and which also seemed to aimlessly meander). An apt comparison might be a young jazz conservatory graduate who can play lightening fast licks and patterns of arcane chord substitutions in 13.5/4 time , compared with, say, Miles or Monk, who are quintessential musical storytellers. Or for you rockers, the guitar playing of Yngvie Malmsteen vs that of B B King (I assume you appreciate BB given your username, Blues). Which do you prefer?

I just started a much simpler book. The Adventures of Huck Finn- yeah, the Mark Twain classic that I probably read as a kid. So far, I like it much more. Now there is a writer who understands momentum and keeps the reader involved. Besides which, it was an enormous leap forward in 1876 from the florid, turgid prose of the Victorian era. Twain rightfully deserves recognition as the father of the modern novel (at least in English), though that distinction is often attributed to Hemingway. It took another 50 or so years post- Huck Finn before other writers caught on.
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

i'm stuck in a James Patterson cycle. NYPD Red 7, written with Marshall Karp, recently came out and hit the best sellers of the week list. I hadn't heard of the series, so I went back to the earlier books, all with NYPD Red in the titles, the second and later books all with numbers. The protagonists are a male and female detective in an elite NYPD unit tasked with dealing with wealthy NYC citizens and the politicians. The first three were good, the 4th just OK. I'll finish out the series around other books.

I just finished Patterson and Mike Lupica's new The House of Wolves. Amazon bills it as a Succession or Yellowstone type thriller about the Wolf family. A large dose of football and murder set against a San Francisco background. An easy read, it's 112 chapters over 380 pages; short and snappy chapters.

I knew of Lupica as a sports writer years ago. I didn't realize he was brought in to continue Robert Parker's Sunny Randall and Jesse Stone series characters.

I'll read Thomas Perry's Murder Book next. Described as an ex-cop takes on a widespread criminal organization targeting Midwestern towns.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

"American Midnight: The Great War, a Violent Peace, and Democracy's Forgotten Crisis" by Adam Hochschild.

About half way through
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Currently reading Bob Spitz's "Led Zeppelin, The Biography". About 75% thru and ready for it to end.

Love their music in the 70s, but their behavior turns me off now.

Ed
mike@jb

Post by mike@jb »

"Stan Musial - An American Life" by George Vecsey
I guess I have a lot of baseball and fishing books...
:sharebeer
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Finishing up "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas - really enjoyed this classic and plan to buy a copy for my library to read again.

Almost done with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M Pirsig. I like the story about the trip more than most of the metaphysical sections so far. I guess I'm not very artsy.

Just checked out "Mrs. Dalloway" by Virgina Woolf.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
mega317

Post by mega317 »

Just finished Davos Man, about billionaires and wealth inequality. Not sure I learned much new in the grand scheme but added much more detail to my knowledge base.

Finishing up Your Table Is Ready: Tales of a New York City Maître D'. This book has gotten significant hype and... meh. Poorly written and huge chunks of it are dispensable. More suited maybe to a long-form magazine article. Quick read at least. But some good stories. Earlier in his career it's too focused on sex and drugs, but as he presumably matures there is more interesting discussion of the actual restaurant business. Second half of the book is better than the first.
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6212
ekid

Post by ekid »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:20 pm Finishing up "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas - really enjoyed this classic and plan to buy a copy for my library to read again.

Almost done with "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" by Robert M Pirsig. I like the story about the trip more than most of the metaphysical sections so far. I guess I'm not very artsy.

I'd like to see people read THIS one:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Black-Count- ... 105&sr=8-1

Pulitzer winner, 2013. ...the Real Count of Monte Cristo. Not a novel...
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

ekid wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:28 pm
Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:20 pm Finishing up "The Count of Monte Cristo" by Alexandre Dumas - really enjoyed this classic and plan to buy a copy for my library to read again.

Thanks, I added this to my library list.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:38 pm

I never heard of this one before.
And the "regular" "The Count of Monte Cristo" was one of the first "real" novels I read, and I would just curl up with a book and escape...! So it has special meaning for me.

Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
ekid

Post by ekid »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 3:41 pm
Elsebet wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 2:38 pm

I never heard of this one before.
And the "regular" "The Count of Monte Cristo" was one of the first "real" novels I read, and I would just curl up with a book and escape...! So it has special meaning for me.

Thanks!

RM
Story of a son of a French "noble" in (perhaps Haiti, or Hispaniola) before the Revolution. This man acknowledged and educated his half-African son in France. This son became a highly capable general under Napoleon but was edged out and forgotten. "Inspiration" for the novel.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

With Musket & Tomahawk, a 3 book series by Michael O. Logusz, about the Revolutionary War in 1777 in the wilderness in upstate New York.

The 1st covers the battles at Fort Ticonderoga and Saratoga defeating British General Burgoyne's attempt invade from Canada via Lake Champlain.

The 2d covers the war in the Mohawk River valley including the defense of Fort Stanwix and the battle of Oriskany.

The 3d covers the war at West Point and in the Hudson River Valley.
galectin

Post by galectin »

I just finished I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong.

This is a popular science book about the interactions between bacteria, viruses, and eukaryotes. It discusses how that influences health and behavior in both positive and negative ways. I found it very interesting.