What are your LEAST favorite vacation destinations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Re: What are your LEAST favorite vacation destinations

Post by michaeljc70 »

Cruise wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:46 pm Just amazing that this thread has sooo many more entries than the thread asking about favorite vacation destinations. What does this say?
I'm no expert, but I think there have been tons of studies and people are much more likely to lodge a complaint than a compliment. People expect a vacation to be good. If it is, it meets their expectations and they move on. If it doesn't, they complain.

Though I have my favorites and least favorites, I would say I only didn't enjoy 5%-10% of the many places I've been.
xerxes101

Post by xerxes101 »

Las Vegas!
What a rip off...and I am not even talking about gambling! :D
Food and coffee prices are absolute rip off IMO.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

Crowded beaches, and beaches in general for the most part
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

When we were in Hawaii once I saw an ad on TV for a sweepstakes. The grand prize? A trip to Vegas. I couldn’t believe it. These people were already in paradise.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

xerxes101 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:58 pm Las Vegas!
I’ve often heard that if you’re a high-roller you get everything for free. They pick you up at the airport even.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:45 pm
I’ve often heard that if you’re a high-roller you get everything for free. They pick you up at the airport even.
In the aggregate for all the high rollers, none of that is "free".

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:50 pm
Cruise wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:46 pm Just amazing that this thread has sooo many more entries than the thread asking about favorite vacation destinations. What does this say?
I'm no expert, but I think there have been tons of studies and people are much more likely to lodge a complaint than a compliment. People expect a vacation to be good. If it is, it meets their expectations and they move on. If it doesn't, they complain.
when i research online for goods to buy, going straight to the most negative reviews is usually most instructive. positive praise is always "yeah i like it its nice". bad stuff is typically more specific "this thing was bad BECAUSE xxx/yyy/zzz"
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Wings5 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:42 pm I would not travel to New Orleans for a vacation, but we visit to go see the National World War II Museum. I've taken my teenager on a morning jog through the French Quarter. Told him to remember the stench when his buddies want to road trip there in college :D
Did everyone visit New Orleans in the past, during spring break, or after Katrina or something?

New Orleans has had significant issues with garbage collection, but so have other cities like NYC to some extent, and I think that’s mostly a thing of the past.

I visited the French Quarter in 2018-2019 and it was beautiful and there was no smell.

Also some of the best food and service is found in New Orleans. Not to mention music.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

Could be after a lifetime of saving/doing without, some cannot make the adjustment to spending money. That IS a rather significant lifestyle change.

A little over a year ago, I buried a good friend of mine who was mostly that way. He would splurge a little on driving a nice vehicle, and always dressed well, but nothing else. Never went anywhere much, and when he did was in a hurry to get home.

His two adult sons have since put it in circulation, though.
MoonOrb

Post by MoonOrb »

Another vote for Gatlinburg, TN. You could not pay me to spend more than an hour or two there.

By far the most stressful vacation destination for me was India. I was just not prepared for the constant bombardment from scammers and touts and some people who seemed weirdly aggressive. I've been a lot of places and nothing else compared in that regard.

I think for people who can navigate that type of situation without feeling stressed out, India would be an amazing destination, though.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

Nicolas wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:44 pm When we were in Hawaii once I saw an ad on TV for a sweepstakes. The grand prize? A trip to Vegas. I couldn’t believe it. These people were already in paradise.
Hawaiians often refer to Vegas as "the ninth island".
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

This past year, Hawaii/Kona, Florida/Fort Lauderdale , short Napa trips, Vegas, London, Liverpool and LA/DisneyLand/Palm Springs/Santa Barbera.

My worst experience, this year, hmmmmm: probably a day or two in London (at my in laws 🤣). Perspective and actual experience in each place is absolutely everything.

On the flip side, I think I blew my 2022 travel budget, by a lot!

Happy traveling. Even a bad experience is an experience. As long as you can tell the story…
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
Starbase

Post by Starbase »

OnBoard wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:48 am Other thread got me thinking, what destination did you have high hopes for that disappointment you the most?
Ozarks.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Great Barrier Reef was a very disappointing dive
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Bmac wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:07 am If not my least favorite, certainly the most underwhelming travel experience was Mount Rushmore. I realize creating it must have been quite a feat, but in person it just felt a bit overrated. Particularly given the lengths required to get there.
I visited it on a business trip and went to the park at night. One of the most patriotic moments of my life, besides being at DC on July 4th. All of that being said, could not imagine driving hours to just go see it.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

e5116 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:49 pm I did Disney for the first time with young kids a couple months ago and enjoyed it but it's a once-every-five-years type of thing IMHO. Yes, the pricing is exorbitant, the rides aren't THAT great, and food can be mediocre (Magic Kindgom in particular). BUT, the storytelling is magnificent, the shows can be great (Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios at the end of the night was fabulous), and you live vicariously through your kid's joy. If you're a Star Wars fan, the landscape of Galaxy's Edge truly transforms you to another place. If you have a child who is a fan of other Disney characters, their eyes just light up (although I refused to wait in a line to meet a "princess" -- parades only!). Going a more "random weekend" when crowds aren't as bad is key -- and paying extra for Genie+ to skip lines to an extent (on top of the exorbitant entrance fees). Also people seem fixated on Magic Kingdom, but Hollywood Studios and Epcot could offer better experiences depending on what you're looking for.

So, it wasn't my least favorite vacation destination but isn't a place I'd want to go to regularly. But if you have Disney fans in the fam, it's on the bucket list. I would not go by myself as an adult although some adults do that....

Back on topic... Pigeon Forge TN is a place I'd avoid. Gatlinburg is cool though. Overly commercialized general suburbia cities in America don't appeal to me.

I liked Curacao (which someone listed) but spent time on a remote part of the island -- didn't stay in the one large city (Willemstad) at a mega-hotel. Even a small island can have a much different feel depending on the locale/type of establishment you stay at. We rented a condo, drove around to random beaches to relax and snorkel. Beautiful. I think I might have liked Curacao more than Aruba even, which is a much more popular tourist destination. But beaches in Aruba are nicer.

This thread shows that different people are looking for different things in their vacations, which is what makes things interesting. Still, appreciate other people's perspectives.

Another city I do not enjoy is Athens, although the Acropolis is amazing. But wouldn't spend more than a day in Athens and I'd go to Delphi as a day trip instead. There aren't too many vacation spots that I didn't enjoy, so I guess in general, I choose wisely. :)
We just came back from Disney, and once every 5 years is a good rule of thumb. Our family liked most of the parks but hated Magic Kingdom, which I think is for Disney Purist and people who love nostalgia. Nothing about Disney is overrated but that doesn’t mean it is for everyone.

Overrated places: Nashville, Cancun and Austin
Underrated: St. Louis
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

michaeljc70 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:50 pm
+1 You don't have to be an expert, this (would seem to me) is common sense and yes, there is a bunch of related research https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... d_of_Mouth.

Find any related thread and you'll see the same thing. Also, one of the most common complaints is that vacation destinations are too busy (it has absolutely ruined some of our favorite destinations; maybe people are keeping their favorites to themselves?
skp

Post by skp »

Starbase wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:09 am [quote=OnBoard post_id=7016369 time=<a href="tel:1671522502">1671522502</a> user_id=42944]
Other thread got me thinking, what destination did you have high hopes for that disappointment you the most?
Ozarks.
[/quote]

Really.
I was the opposite. Wasn’t sure if I would like it and it turned out to be one of our best vacations.
Starbase

Post by Starbase »

skp wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:35 am
Starbase wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 3:09 am [quote=OnBoard post_id=7016369 time=<a href="tel:1671522502">1671522502</a> user_id=42944]
Other thread got me thinking, what destination did you have high hopes for that disappointment you the most?
Ozarks.
Really.
I was the opposite. Wasn’t sure if I would like it and it turned out to be one of our best vacations.
[/quote]

It was so hot and humid, I just kept sweating. Also I didn’t like the scenery.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

That's easy!

West coast:
- California
- Washington
- Oregon

Midwest
- Illinois
- Michigan

East Coast:
- New York
- Jersey

And of course DC
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

mesaverde wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:49 pm I agree with many of the spots mentioned in this post (Disney, Las Vegas, etc.) but am a little surprised that many people mention Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Perhaps those who had a negative experience didn't take the time to figure out the many ways one can enjoy the park without dealing with crowds.

Personally, my two most memorable experiences in Great Smoky Mountain National Park were: 1. exploring/surveying what is the 2nd deepest cave in the park and 2. backpacking the Appalachian Trail from one end of the park to the other (the highest section of the Appalachian Trail).
I was surprised by the crowds in GSNP. We did a hike on a Saturday and could not find a parking spot near the trail. Really enjoyed the hike and the trail was not crowded.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

keith6014 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:48 pm
vitaflo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:25 pm Horseshoe Bend in northern AZ. Pay $10 to walk a mile and take a selfie to pretend you're the only one there, while 1,000 other people do the same. And that's it, that's all there is to do. It's just a place to get an Instagram photo. One of the dumber places I've ever been. At least Glen Canyon Dam is just down the road and is interesting (and free!).

Otherwise I'd add, Palm Springs, LA, Las Vegas, and San Fran in descending order of worseness. SF in particular you couldn't pay me to visit ever again. What an absolute dumpster fire of a city.

I'd say the Grand Canyon was the most disappointing. I mean it was cool and all but literally everyone I ever talked to said it was the most amazing place they've ever been. I didn't get that feeling. There are many many more interesting places in the US. Had the same feeling about Rushmore. It's just...not interesting. The Needles near there is much cooler.
I am surprised about the Grand Canyon and Needles (Canyon Lands) comment. Went to GC 3 times (twice camped, Mather Campground), enjoyed it more and more every-time. I thought Needles district was OK -- Island in the sky is where its at. I agree with Mt. Rushmore. Blackhills and Custer St park is a beauty.
I agree Grand Canyon is one place pictures just don’t grasp the scale. I drove from Las Vegas for a day trip, spent a few hours, did some hiking. Really enjoyed the trip. Temperature compared to Vegas dropped considerably! I imagine they sell a lot of sweatshirts in the gift shop!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

BradJ wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:23 am
A hot take for sure
“… the fact remains that buying a nominal bond ladder to defease future living expenses can prove disastrous.” - Bill Bernstein | | “…something unusual happens—usually.” - Nassim Taleb
gerntz

Post by gerntz »

- Gatlinburg & Branson
- Outer Banks - drive & drive & then nothing there.
- Ireland & most of Germany are boring. Brussels is underwhelming. Once on the Greece mainland to see the ancient ruins is enough.
- Anymore, most any US major city. Overrun with garbage of multiple kinds & don't feel safe. Used to love NYC & SF.
- As for overcrowded tourist spots, I just don't go June thru mid-Sept. I'll take chilly & plenty of room.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:48 am Probably Toronto. Crowded, touristy, very expensive, and the border guard spent way too much time chatting up my wife just because he could.

I had a nice experience on a class trip to Disney World in the 90s. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a lot different now.
Nobody goes there anymore, it’s too crowded. —Yogi Berra :D
gtrplayer

Post by gtrplayer »

Lots of comments about Gatlinburg and Smokey Mountains but I loved it there. Yes, it’s full of touristy things but it has character and you can find bluegrass music if you’re looking.

I love traveling and I like driving. But I haven’t always chosen the right seasons for certain destinations. Wyoming can be scenic and beautiful but in the winter, it can be terrifying. Snowy, windy, and no one around for miles on end. Minneapolis is a great city but also freezing in the winter. Conversely, I went to Phoenix mid-summer and the heat is amazing. And Vegas, same thing. Went in July, felt like the sun way five feet from me. I’d recommend all these places… at the right times.
JDave

Post by JDave »

Kamakura, Japan, and anything Disney.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:50 pm
vitaflo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:25 pm Horseshoe Bend in northern AZ. Pay $10 to walk a mile and take a selfie to pretend you're the only one there, while 1,000 other people do the same. And that's it, that's all there is to do. It's just a place to get an Instagram photo. One of the dumber places I've ever been. At least Glen Canyon Dam is just down the road and is interesting (and free!).

Otherwise I'd add, Palm Springs, LA, Las Vegas, and San Fran in descending order of worseness. SF in particular you couldn't pay me to visit ever again. What an absolute dumpster fire of a city.

I'd say the Grand Canyon was the most disappointing. I mean it was cool and all but literally everyone I ever talked to said it was the most amazing place they've ever been. I didn't get that feeling. There are many many more interesting places in the US. Had the same feeling about Rushmore. It's just...not interesting. The Needles near there is much cooler.
I am surprised about the Grand Canyon and Needles (Canyon Lands) comment. Went to GC 3 times (twice camped, Mather Campground), enjoyed it more and more every-time. I thought Needles district was OK -- Island in the sky is where its at. I agree with Mt. Rushmore. Blackhills and Custer St park is a beauty.
I agree Grand Canyon is one place pictures just don’t grasp the scale. I drove from Las Vegas for a day trip, spent a few hours, did some hiking. Really enjoyed the trip. Temperature compared to Vegas dropped considerably! I imagine they sell a lot of sweatshirts in the gift shop!
Wife and I have never been there, but we're doing rim-to-rim in October.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

I'm surprised how much agreement there is on the worst places. I love to travel and usually focus on the positive attributes of the destination but there have been a few disappointments:

- New Orleans
- Orlando/Disney
- Beverly Hills/Venice Beach
- Vegas
- Mixed experience in NYC

For those that say they don't like cruises; you most likely have been on the wrong kind of cruise. If you are on Azamara, Oceania, Silversea...these are small ships that take you from destination to destination with a comfortable bed and good food. Also a decent option for a mixed group, I took my parents with us due to mobility issues and they could lounge around without slowing us down.

It is more about the destination, nothing non-active about it, unless you make it that way. My daughter asked if we could not go on a cruise for her senior trip since she wants to just hang out on the beach.
robphoto

Post by robphoto »

JDave wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:37 am Kamakura, Japan, and anything Disney.
Interested in what you didn't like about Kamakura? When we were there, seemed a pleasant enough day excursion.
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Karachi, Pakistan (1949).

Best wishes.
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: “Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others. It's cheaper.”
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

OnBoard wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:48 am Other thread got me thinking, what destination did you have high hopes for that disappointment you the most?
Disney World!

Why it is the happiest place on earth!😂

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Any place that involves taking Dave’s Gulfstream to get there!

A horrible bumpy ride with tons of turbulence.

Thank goodness for parachutes!

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

StevieG72 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:37 pm
mesaverde wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:49 pm I agree with many of the spots mentioned in this post (Disney, Las Vegas, etc.) but am a little surprised that many people mention Great Smoky Mountain National Park. Perhaps those who had a negative experience didn't take the time to figure out the many ways one can enjoy the park without dealing with crowds.

Personally, my two most memorable experiences in Great Smoky Mountain National Park were: 1. exploring/surveying what is the 2nd deepest cave in the park and 2. backpacking the Appalachian Trail from one end of the park to the other (the highest section of the Appalachian Trail).
I was surprised by the crowds in GSNP. We did a hike on a Saturday and could not find a parking spot near the trail. Really enjoyed the hike and the trail was not crowded.
Somewhat crowded was the definite downside of GSNP when we went. We had to park pretty far from a somewhat difficult trail, close to the limit of what we can actually enjoy, even on a Thursday in September after Labor Day in 2020 (so some pandemic effect I guess too). In many NP's that get crowded enough to subtract from enjoyment you can avoid it going on an even moderately hard trail. That was our experience in Canyonlands in 2021: sticking to the 'marquee' views I would have said 'too crowded', but it was memorably enjoyable on moderately difficult trails which stripped away most of the crowd.

Back to GSNP, we found Gatlinburg unattractive just driving through. We stayed in Cherokee NC which is not as tourist trappy but my wife found a little depressing. GSNP didn't score highly overall. I would put it pretty far down the list among NP's, but not among 'least favorite' of all travel destinations. It was pretty, I don't regret going there. Going back in winter is another idea we had.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Easy: New York City.

And just so I'm not accused of just not liking places with people, near the top of my favorites: China!
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

Las Vegas was a great place for cheap food, specially casino buffets, but that has changed over the last 20 years.
Some of the smaller border casinos may still offer inexpensive 24 hour food as loss leaders.
egri

Post by egri »

Jerusalem has a lot of history, but is a giant tourist trap. If I do go back, I wouldn't take a guided tour; I'd do my own thing and spend time looking at what I wanted to see. Greece was not very well maintained; it was a bit discouraging to keep seeing ancient ruins with modern graffiti on them.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:43 am
StevieG72 wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 1:50 pm

Wife and I have never been there, but we're doing rim-to-rim in October.
Wife and I did Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, and Zion a couple years ago. Thought I might be disappointed with the GC, but not at at all. The geology, flora, and fauna are so different from the area we live in. It felt like we had been transported to another planet. I like how the appearance of the canyon changes almost from one moment to the next because of clouds, angle of the sun etc. We both thought it was beautiful. Took many fun hikes. One of the highlights for me was when several bighorn sheep crossed the trail a few feet away from us. It was amazing how they were able to move across what appeared to be a sheer cliff face. If I was healthier, I definitely would have hiked rim to rim. Felt the tug to hike to the bottom, but didn't.
Exterous

Post by Exterous »

I have a complicated relationship with Vegas. I used to think I hated it but 2 years staying away have added a rose colored tint to those glasses. Previous company I worked for sent me there for a week every year for a conference. Changed companies and they wanted to send me there for a week every year for a different conference (You want me to go where? Sonofa....). It's the airport and city I've traveled to most outside of where I've lived, which I've always found a bit depressing - especially since I don't gamble. It got to the point I'd change hotels a couple times during the week just for a tiny change of pace. However - I've had some experiences there that would be hard to get anywhere else. I saw a sumo match and got to meet several wrestlers. We bonded over the challenges of airtravel for larger than average people. I'm 6'2 with very broad shoulders but clearly not in the same league as them. I have a photo with me and 3 of them. Concerts, shows, great food, trips to Red Rocks, tour of the Hover Dam, trips farther afield than the strip for normal priced food etc. Vendor party which grossly underspent their minimum so the Pappy 23 year flowed freely.

So you can find some interesting things to do and the concentration of shows\events is great if the timing and right events for you line up with your trip. I also recognize the fact that I've paid for very little of these experiences myself could add a bit of bias to my viewpoint. I doubt I'd ever travel there on my own dime for a vacation given the number of times I've been there
VictoriaF wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:16 pm Frankfurt

I like large cities. I like European cities - large and small. But Frankfurt was an exception.

Victoria
michaeljc70 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:01 am The airport was the highlight of Frankfurt. I was so bored that I visited the ECB.
Agreed. We had a 8 hour layover there on our way to Africa and, since we transit FRA often, seemed like a good time to see if we should spend more time there in the future. Easy answer - nope no need to go back. Very nice Lufthansa arrival lounge and plentiful lounge showers if you're continuing your journey onward.
oldmotos

Post by oldmotos »

I agree with most of these responses. I am saddened by the decline of San Francisco, Chicago, Portland and many other cities I once enjoyed. I disagree with Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills, Nashville, Key West and Marco Island being listed. Although all have suffered some growing pains, they are still some of my favorite places.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

oldmotos wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:28 pm I agree with most of these responses. I am saddened by the decline of San Francisco, Chicago, Portland and many other cities I once enjoyed. I disagree with Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills, Nashville, Key West and Marco Island being listed. Although all have suffered some growing pains, they are still some of my favorite places.
I am also saddened by the decline of San Francisco and Chicago (never have been to Portland). Especially in San Francisco with all that high tech money and huge increases in property values.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

MoonOrb wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:06 pm Another vote for Gatlinburg, TN. You could not pay me to spend more than an hour or two there.

By far the most stressful vacation destination for me was India. I was just not prepared for the constant bombardment from scammers and touts and some people who seemed weirdly aggressive. I've been a lot of places and nothing else compared in that regard.

I think for people who can navigate that type of situation without feeling stressed out, India would be an amazing destination, though.
I'm not sure there's anywhere in the world that I have less desire to go to than India.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

BradJ wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:23 am
e5116 wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:49 pm I did Disney for the first time with young kids a couple months ago and enjoyed it but it's a once-every-five-years type of thing IMHO. Yes, the pricing is exorbitant, the rides aren't THAT great, and food can be mediocre (Magic Kindgom in particular). BUT, the storytelling is magnificent, the shows can be great (Fantasmic at Hollywood Studios at the end of the night was fabulous), and you live vicariously through your kid's joy. If you're a Star Wars fan, the landscape of Galaxy's Edge truly transforms you to another place. If you have a child who is a fan of other Disney characters, their eyes just light up (although I refused to wait in a line to meet a "princess" -- parades only!). Going a more "random weekend" when crowds aren't as bad is key -- and paying extra for Genie+ to skip lines to an extent (on top of the exorbitant entrance fees). Also people seem fixated on Magic Kingdom, but Hollywood Studios and Epcot could offer better experiences depending on what you're looking for.

So, it wasn't my least favorite vacation destination but isn't a place I'd want to go to regularly. But if you have Disney fans in the fam, it's on the bucket list. I would not go by myself as an adult although some adults do that....

Back on topic... Pigeon Forge TN is a place I'd avoid. Gatlinburg is cool though. Overly commercialized general suburbia cities in America don't appeal to me.

I liked Curacao (which someone listed) but spent time on a remote part of the island -- didn't stay in the one large city (Willemstad) at a mega-hotel. Even a small island can have a much different feel depending on the locale/type of establishment you stay at. We rented a condo, drove around to random beaches to relax and snorkel. Beautiful. I think I might have liked Curacao more than Aruba even, which is a much more popular tourist destination. But beaches in Aruba are nicer.

This thread shows that different people are looking for different things in their vacations, which is what makes things interesting. Still, appreciate other people's perspectives.

Another city I do not enjoy is Athens, although the Acropolis is amazing. But wouldn't spend more than a day in Athens and I'd go to Delphi as a day trip instead. There aren't too many vacation spots that I didn't enjoy, so I guess in general, I choose wisely. :)
We just came back from Disney, and once every 5 years is a good rule of thumb. Our family liked most of the parks but hated Magic Kingdom, which I think is for Disney Purist and people who love nostalgia. Nothing about Disney is overrated but that doesn’t mean it is for everyone.

Overrated places: Nashville, Cancun and Austin

Love both Asheville and Austin. Both are very fun cities.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Random Musings wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:11 pm
oldmotos wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:28 pm I agree with most of these responses. I am saddened by the decline of San Francisco, Chicago, Portland and many other cities I once enjoyed. I disagree with Mt. Rushmore/Black Hills, Nashville, Key West and Marco Island being listed. Although all have suffered some growing pains, they are still some of my favorite places.
I am also saddened by the decline of San Francisco and Chicago (never have been to Portland). Especially in San Francisco with all that high tech money and huge increases in property values.

RM
Apologize if I already shared this: my wife grew up in the Bay Area but hadn't been back since she left for college 18yrs ago. Her entire extended family has since left too; not only her parents and siblings, but literally 30+ families of her grandparents, uncles and aunts, cousins - not a single family member left in the area. Somehow I had never been there despite growing up in LA and having visited pretty much everywhere else in the country. We decided to go there for vacation last July. Several people told us not to bring our kids...they were right. It was significantly worse (in ways I can't discuss on this board) than I could have imagined. My kids saw and heard some things that children should never have to. Muir Woods and Six Flags were fun, but there would have to be a really compelling reason for us to ever go back.
Petrocelli

Post by Petrocelli »

Anywhere in Texas. Bad weather. No culture. Bland scenery. And people walking around with firearms.
Petrocelli (not the real Rico, but just a fan)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Petrocelli wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:37 am Anywhere in Texas. Bad weather. No culture. Bland scenery. And people walking around with firearms.
Interesting how different people can define the word "culture". Personally, I don't understand how anybody can say a specific place has no culture; certainly "culture" that they might not like, but (IMO) it's culture none the less.
sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty »

tadamsmar wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:31 am
nydoc wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:42 pmAruba.
Ditto. We like nature and snorkeling. I think it is more of a party island.
Interesting. We loved Bonaire and was thinking of going to Aruba next, but maybe not.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

sixtyforty wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:26 am
tadamsmar wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 8:31 am
nydoc wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:42 pmAruba.
Ditto. We like nature and snorkeling. I think it is more of a party island.
Interesting. We loved Bonaire and was thinking of going to Aruba next, but maybe not.
In Aruba now and where we're staying it's far from being a party island. Go up to the high rise area and/or some of the all-inclusives then yeah, it can be party time.
KNomad

Post by KNomad »

IMHO Barcelona is extremely overrated, except for going to an FC Barcelona game. FC Barcelona was a great experience, everything else about Barcelona was pretty meh. You can find good food and there is cool architecture, but it has many of the problems that less developed countries have when it comes to things like petty crime. I might have liked it more if I had spare time to check out surrounding areas or the Pyrenees nearby.

Worth mentioning that I've been there 4 or 5 times, but only for work and only in February. Maybe it is a better destination in the summer?

San Antonio is also disappointing in my experience, but it has been almost 20 years since I've been there.

I'm surprised to see the Grand Canyon listed here. I had pretty meh expectations, but I did an impromptu trail running visit after a conference in Vegas and it was surprisingly one of the best running days of my life. I camped on South Rim for a night and then ran from the Canyon Village to the river and Phantom Ranch via the South Kaibab Trail and then ran back up to the South Rim via Bright Angel. It was incredible in every way. Scenery was out of this world, flowers were blooming (April) and temps were perfect for running- lightly snowing on the rim and maybe 70 degrees at the river. I couldn't believe it had been so low on my list before visiting there.
OpenMinded1

Post by OpenMinded1 »

KNomad wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:28 pm IMHO Barcelona is extremely overrated, except for going to an FC Barcelona game. FC Barcelona was a great experience, everything else about Barcelona was pretty meh. You can find good food and there is cool architecture, but it has many of the problems that less developed countries have when it comes to things like petty crime. I might have liked it more if I had spare time to check out surrounding areas or the Pyrenees nearby.

Worth mentioning that I've been there 4 or 5 times, but only for work and only in February. Maybe it is a better destination in the summer?

San Antonio is also disappointing in my experience, but it has been almost 20 years since I've been there.

I'm surprised to see the Grand Canyon listed here. I had pretty meh expectations, but I did an impromptu trail running visit after a conference in Vegas and it was surprisingly one of the best running days of my life. I camped on South Rim for a night and then ran from the Canyon Village to the river and Phantom Ranch via the South Kaibab Trail and then ran back up to the South Rim via Bright Angel. It was incredible in every way. Scenery was out of this world, flowers were blooming (April) and temps were perfect for running- lightly snowing on the rim and maybe 70 degrees at the river. I couldn't believe it had been so low on my list before visiting there.
+1 regarding the Grand Canyon. Never been to Barcelona.