Family Harmed by Govt Negligence - How to Calculate Damages?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SurferLife

Family Harmed by Govt Negligence - How to Calculate Damages?

Post by SurferLife »

Our family was exposed, at significant length, to contaminated/toxic water through govt negligence. We are in the process of putting together a claim against the government, but when we are asked what we would like to seek for damages, we don’t know how to quantify that into a number. We have 2 parents and two children, with one being harmed the most. We don’t know all the ways in which we were harmed and it seems to be an ever-evolving situation. We have all experienced symptoms of toxic exposure, with some more than others, but we were all affected. We have the immediate medical costs which are relatively easy to calculate, but it’s the future and ongoing ones that leave us stumped on how to calculate along with a figure for damages. Our youngest still exhibits abnormal behavior after the exposure and while we are working through that, how do I put a dollar amount on that, and also, how do I put a number on our fear of how this will affect all of us for the rest of our lives? I think that for my one child I have to err on the side of a worst-case scenario in that they never fully recover and is never able to work and needs regular medical care, but do I do that for my other child as well since nobody knows the long-term effects of ingesting fuel? What happens if they get diagnosed with cancer in 3 years and we didn’t seek medical damages for them? What about us? Also, once I do calculate a number, how do I adjust those amounts for inflation? Any help is appreciated. If we are missing something, please let us know. I'm not seeking legal advice here, but rather, the thought process in getting to some of these numbers that we need to come up with. I do need a formula for adjusting whatever amounts we come up with for inflation.

The areas I think we need help in trying to generate a settlement amount for are:
1. Care for the rest of our lives in dealing with this
2. Loss of income-earning potential for kids and potentially for ourselves
3. The fear of having to deal with this for the rest of our lives
4. The stress and anxiety of having to deal with the last few years
5. General damages for destroying our bodies and potential in life
Last edited by SurferLife on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
dukeblue219

Re: Family Harmed by Govt Negligence - How to Calculate Damages?

Post by dukeblue219 »

Is having your thought process and the inputs of strangers publicly viewable on the internet a good idea?

Might be useful to the other side's lawyers, and they will find it if you're talking about real money here.

I should also add that I'm horrified to read about the circumstances. How awful :(. My best to your little ones.
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

I don't think this is the environment to be asking such a question.
Topic Author
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:55 am Is having your thought process and the inputs of strangers publicly viewable on the internet a good idea?

Might be useful to the other side's lawyers, and they will find it if your talking about real money here.

I should also add that I'm horrified to read about the circumstances. How awful :(. My best to your little ones.
There are many of us. I'm not asking about specific dollar amounts, but rather, how to start to look at how to figure out these dollar amounts. What is a good formula to apply? I'm especially having dififculty with having to adjust these numbers to inflation. So yeah, it's more the thought process involved in getting to the actual numbers instead of the actual number. I've tried to sanitize our specific details.
Last edited by SurferLife on Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bampf

Post by bampf »

You should really listen to what folks are telling you here. Take this off line and consult with qualified legal advisors.
Nescio
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

SurferLife wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:53 am Our family was exposed, at significant length, to contaminated/toxic water through govt negligence. We are in the process of putting together a claim against the government, but when we are asked what we would like to seek for damages, we don’t know how to quantify that into a number. We have 2 parents and two children, with one being harmed the most. We don’t know all the ways in which we were harmed and it seems to be an ever-evolving situation. We have all experienced symptoms of toxic exposure, with some more than others, but we were all affected. We have the immediate medical costs which are relatively easy to calculate, but it’s the future and ongoing ones that leave us stumped on how to calculate along with a figure for damages. Our youngest still exhibits abnormal behavior after the exposure and while we are working through that, how do I put a dollar amount on that, and also, how do I put a number on our fear of how this will affect all of us for the rest of our lives? I think that for my daughter I have to err on the side of a worst-case scenario in that she never fully recovers and is never able to work and needs regular medical care, but do I do that for my son as well since nobody knows the long-term effects of ingesting fuel? What happens if he gets diagnosed with cancer in 3 years and we didn’t seek medical damages for him? What about us? Also, once I do calculate a number, how do I adjust those amounts for inflation? Any help is appreciated. If we are missing something, please let us know.

The areas I think we need help in trying to generate a settlement amount for are:
1. Care for the rest of our lives in dealing with this
2. Loss of income-earning potential for kids and potentially for ourselves
3. The fear of having to deal with this for the rest of our lives
4. The stress and anxiety of having to deal with the last few years
5. General damages for destroying our bodies and potential in life
These are all questions to pose to your attorney.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

SurferLife wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:59 am
dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:55 am Is having your thought process and the inputs of strangers publicly viewable on the internet a good idea?

Might be useful to the other side's lawyers, and they will find it if your talking about real money here.

There are many of us. I'm not asking about specific dollar amounts, but rather, how to start to look at how to figure out these dollar amounts. What is a good formula to apply? I'm especially having dififculty with having to adjust these numbers to inflation. So yeah, it's more the thought process involved in getting to the actual numbers instead of the actual number. I've tried to sanitize our specific details.
Your lawyers will give the best advice. They will have knowledge of what the govt has paid out for similar cases and be able to adjust for any mitigating/aggravating factors in your case. Few if anyone on this forum is qualified to give an answer and any that are qualified wouldn't. You've got a good list of things to consider and ask your lawyer about in your first post. Cases like these are about working the legal system to your advantage.
Kendall

Post by Kendall »

This thread has run its course and is locked (legal advice). See: Acceptable Topics and Subforum Guidelines
This is an investing and personal finance forum. We also maintain a subforum that allow our members to discuss consumer goods and services and recreational activities. Anything else is considered "Off Topic" and is not acceptable on this forum.
--moderator Kendall