What's worth paying more for?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
TomatoTomahto

Re: What's worth paying more for?

Post by TomatoTomahto »

jayjayc wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:01 pm Out of curiosity, what are the top benefits for expensive, high quality sheets compared to a good set from Target?

Even if they're silky smooth, the only body part that gets to enjoy them would be my feet when wearing pajamas. As mentioned before, DW bought nice sheets but even she has some buyer's remorse.
Some of us don't want silky smooth sheets, but prefer a crisp, cool, breathable sheet like percale or linen.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
MDfan

Post by MDfan »

SmallSaver wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:10 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:15 am
jayjayc wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 1:51 pm
Wannaretireearly wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:58 am Great posts! I would like to spend more on walking/running shoes. I’ve been told Hoka is a good make. I have flat feet and likely related pain. I want to spend the $ but I’m thinking going to a proper shoe shop and investing in sizing, how I stand/walk may be a good investment now vs. just buying Hoka shoes online. Thoughts from the show experts?
Go to a proper running shoe store and have them assess everything. Then buy the shoe they recommend.

When that shoe wears out, buy the same model online.
Thank you. I plan on doing this 👍
Ha, the advice I hear from lots of runners is if you like the shoe to buy a few more pairs right away since the models are always changing.

I'm pretty thrifty by nature, but I've never found much value in buying running shoes online versus going to a good store. Marginal savings for a big risk, especially if you have issues you're trying to correct.

Yeah, I definitely would not recommend buying the same model online without trying them on. Most shoe models change from year to year. The model I buy in 2022 may not be the exact same shoe in 2023. I would never buy any shoes without trying them on first.
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:58 am Great posts! I would like to spend more on walking/running shoes. I’ve been told Hoka is a good make. I have flat feet and likely related pain. I want to spend the $ but I’m thinking going to a proper shoe shop and investing in sizing, how I stand/walk may be a good investment now vs. just buying Hoka shoes online. Thoughts from the show experts?
I'm not an expert and don't have flat feet, but I went the shoe shop sizing route and ended up very unimpressed with the results. Then I purchased Hoka Bondi 8s on the recommendation of forum members. That turned out to be the better choice.
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

Glockenspiel wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 12:08 pm Kitchen knives, tools for home projects, mattresses, bedding, bicycles, timeless items of clothing, shoes, socks, Room & Board Furniture, electric toothbrushes, toilet paper, paper towels, interior paint when you paint a room are just a few that come to mind.
Is Room and Board furniture better than other furniture? If so, in what way?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TheNightsToCome wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:55 am
I'm not an expert and don't have flat feet, but I went the shoe shop sizing route and ended up very unimpressed with the results. Then I purchased Hoka Bondi 8s on the recommendation of forum members. That turned out to be the better choice.
I always find that recommendation interesting; do people think the salesman at a running store is some sort of expert? They are highly likely a twenty-something making close to minimum wage to put themselves through school. Some of them are avid runners for sure, but that doesn't make them a podiatrist or someone with extensive knowledge of human biomechanics.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:26 pm
TheNightsToCome wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:55 am
I always find that recommendation interesting; do people think the salesman at a running store is some sort of expert? They are highly likely a twenty-something making close to minimum wage to put themselves through school. Some of them are avid runners for sure, but that doesn't make them a podiatrist or someone with extensive knowledge of human biomechanics.
Interestingly I went to my podiatrist and fleet feet shoe shop. Got some good guidance, bought some recommended insoles.

As far as shoes go the store (after feet/gait analysis) recommended Hoka Clifton 8 or brooks cushion. I tried them both liked them.

Podiatrist recommended brooks beast.

I think I’m going to go with the docs recommendation. Apparently Hoka quality has declined and don’t last that long.
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!