I Received Proxy Voting Request for VWRA Holding

For investors outside the US. Personal investments, personal finance, investing news and theory.
Sister forums: Canada, Spain (en español)
---------------
Topic Author

I Received Proxy Voting Request for VWRA Holding

Post by 900 »

Hi Guys,
I received a proxy holding request for my passive index ETF(VWRA). Is that normal? As far as I know, it is not possible for index funds.

https://ibb.co/vdSC3sc
https://ibb.co/yWg5Jjn
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: I Received Proxy Voting Request for VWRA Holding

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

i've had a couple proxy votes over the years and I only hold index funds. it's not frequent, but it's possible. I think one time a few years ago a proxy was asking to make changes to make the fund (total market) more socialy conscious (divest from certain companies believed to be exploitative in some way). That particular proxy was not adopted and I believe there was a spirited discussion on bogleheads about it (whether we should be activist investors or let the market do its thing, i.e., respond to incentives naturally).
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
alex_686

Re: I Received Proxy Voting Request for VWRA Holding

Post by alex_686 »

900 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:30 am Hi Guys,
I received a proxy holding request for my passive index ETF(VWRA). Is that normal? As far as I know, it is not possible for index funds.
You vote proxies for the companies you own.

A fund is a independent company with a board. It does not matter if it is active or passive, ETF or mutual fund.

As such proxies are required.
Former brokerage operations & mutual fund accountant. I hate risk, which is why I study and embrace it.