YouTube TV vs Hulu (+'s and -'s)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

YouTube TV vs Hulu (+'s and -'s)

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

I "cut the cord" about two months ago. I am seeing lots of positives to streaming versus cable.

Now it's time to "fine tune" the subscription streaming options:
1. Netflix: Keep or ditch? We very rarely watch it ... we've looked at some Ozark, Bosch, Echo ... but not hooked on any of them. Available elsewhere?
2. Amazon Prime: Keep, mainly because of "free shipping" and less for the channel offerings -- although recent NFL Thursday game was Prime only.
3. NFL Sunday Ticket -- expensive but I like watching the "out of market" games. Anyone casting NFL+ from phone/laptop to your TV?

Above is a set-up to my primary question. For "Live TV":
1. What are the differences between Hulu* and YouTube TV?
2. What other options should be considered (Sling)?

* Hulu has one downside -- I can't watch it in my RV as the T&C's limit the number of times you can change your "Home" base. I don't know if YouTube TV has a similar restriction?
NYGiantsFan

Re: YouTube TV vs Hulu (+'s and -'s)

Post by NYGiantsFan »

Youtube TV allows 3 simultaneous streams. You can share with your family members if you want.
It allows unlimited recordings of the show. That's the most important feature for me. I able to skip ads when watching recordings.
It has all NFL games except Thursday night. That one is on Prime.
It has local channels (big 4 ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox).,
It gives free preview channels few times a year (Right now HBO is free this week)
cathyr

Post by cathyr »

Can’t comment on the live tv options, but regarding Netflix and other streaming options - I frequently keep something like Netflix for a month or so if they have something I want to watch, then cancel when I’m done. All the services make it very easy to do this. For example I re-signed up for Netflix for a couple of months last year because my niece and I wanted to watch Squid Games. As soon spas it was done, I canceled. I usually have one other rotating service I activate in addition to Amazon prime, which works out great for me!
birb

Post by birb »

When I try any of the live tv options, I get super annoyed at the ads. If that's a thing you're used to, I think YouTube TV is the best one I've tried. And yeah, YouTube TV will let you skip ads if you've "recorded" it - but it seems that it must have aired during the time you've had your subscription for that to work. So it works well for long-time subscribers assuming you know in advance all the stuff you will want to watch. You can still watch on-demand of course, but the ads are just ridiculous, infuriating. I tried it again last month, and I was so incredibly irritated at the quantity of ads that I contacted YouTube and got a refund.
birb

Post by birb »

cathyr wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:45 pm Can’t comment on the live tv options, but regarding Netflix and other streaming options - I frequently keep something like Netflix for a month or so if they have something I want to watch, then cancel when I’m done. All the services make it very easy to do this. For example I re-signed up for Netflix for a couple of months last year because my niece and I wanted to watch Squid Games. As soon spas it was done, I canceled. I usually have one other rotating service I activate in addition to Amazon prime, which works out great for me!
I do this too - and I do it immediately after I subscribe, no need to wait until the binging is done. So I subscribe, immediately go cancel, and then I know the subscription will end after a month. I figure if I notice, it means it's still useful, and then I'll resubscribe and unsubscribe. And I don't have to worry about trying to remember to unsubscribe later. Turns out I really only use netflix and other streaming services a few months a year each.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

FuboTV. https://www.fubo.tv/welcome. Tons of sports, DVR (1000 hours), local channels and local sports networks (I get NBC Philly, AT&T Pittsburgh and NBC Washington) $69 a month, 142 channels, 10 unlimited streams from home. Available on Roku, AppleTV, Fire, Chromecast.

1 week free trial.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
colejr

Post by colejr »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:26 pm * Hulu has one downside -- I can't watch it in my RV as the T&C's limit the number of times you can change your "Home" base. I don't know if YouTube TV has a similar restriction?
It's worse that that - or was when I was comparing a year ago.

Portable devices - phones, tablets etc must check-in at the home base every 90 days for YouTubeTV but every 30 days for Hulu+. YouTubeTV worked for us on a 50-day jaunt last summer, but we usually watch on our tablets and phones anyway.
MorgansRun

Post by MorgansRun »

I’ve had YTTV for quite a while now and prefer it over Hulu primarily because it has BBC News and BBC America. So, just keep an eye out for channel selection, if that’s important to you.
Chardo

Post by Chardo »

NYGiantsFan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:40 pm Youtube TV allows 3 simultaneous streams. You can share with your family members if you want.
It allows unlimited recordings of the show. That's the most important feature for me. I able to skip ads when watching recordings.
It gives free preview channels few times a year (Right now HBO is free this week)
During free preview, can you record something and watch it after preview ends?
NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan »

During free preview, can you record something and watch it after preview ends?
I haven't tried this. I will try and confirm.
earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan »

Personally, found Sling limited and Hulu awkward to use. Have fubo, like it a lot.
britcoal

Post by britcoal »

I signed up for YouTubeTV back in ~2018 when the Red Sox looked like they were headed to the World Series and I didn't want to have to go out to a bar every night to catch the games. The promo price at the time was $29/month. I absolutely loved the service (especially the unlimited DVR and being able to fast-forward through commercials on recorded stuff) but over a relatively short time the price went up to $64.99 which kind of pissed me off, so I dropped it.

I recently got a random offer for Peacock TV for a year for $19.99 and I signed up to try it, because, why not for under $2 a month. I won't likely keep it after the year is up but it's decent, though fairly limited to NBC properties and very limited on sports.
Conch55

Post by Conch55 »

NYGiantsFan wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:40 pm Youtube TV allows 3 simultaneous streams. You can share with your family members if you want.
How would simultaneous streams work if one of the devices is in another location (state)? Would they see channels from the subscribers area?
Xrayman69

Post by Xrayman69 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:26 pm I "cut the cord" about two months ago. I am seeing lots of positives to streaming versus cable.

1. Netflix: Keep or ditch? We very rarely watch it ... we've looked at some Ozark, Bosch, Echo ... but not hooked on any of them. Available elsewhere?
2. Amazon Prime: Keep, mainly because of "free shipping" and less for the channel offerings -- although recent NFL Thursday game was Prime only.
3. NFL Sunday Ticket -- expensive but I like watching the "out of market" games. Anyone casting NFL+ from phone/laptop to your TV?

* Hulu has one downside -- I can't watch it in my RV as the T&C's limit the number of times you can change your "Home" base. I don't know if YouTube TV has a similar restriction?

How do you get Sunday ticket without direct TV , unless in market without NFL team.

We have both Hulu and YouTube TV. (Hulu basic as part of bundle for free).

Love YouTube TV. Hulu ackward.
YouTube so easy to navigate and travels well.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

We admittedly spend too much on streaming but zero on cable. I very much prefer YouTubeTV to HULU. We added HBO MAX, Showtime, and Cinemax to YouTubeTV. We upgraded to commercial free Hulu which is reasonably priced for the selection of movies and series, but the live Hulu was lacking and navigating their system is confusing. Since we moved to the east coast we've added MLB network during baseball season either separately or wherever it costs less to watch all the Giants games and we watch the blacked out games on the Atlanta station (Bally) on YouTubeTV for free. Most if not all NFL games and all Warriors basketball games are free on YouTubeTV. I especially like the aspect of being able to sort channels on YouTubeTV, placing the channels you watch more often at the top of the live guide. The only downside is finding what you've recorded sometimes, as their placement of the program you recorded may not appear where you think it should be.

We also have Netflix, Prime, AppleTV+, Peacock, and the Disney Channel for the great grandkids. If we had to choose one streaming service it would be YouTubeTV hands down. The unlimited cloud recording and simultaneous streaming make it a no-brainer.

We may at some point drop a few of the lesser used streaming services, but the growing a la carte trend gets really annoying when there's something you don't want to miss that only appears on one provider's network. I find that aspect of Peacock to be particularly annoying since they rarely have something you'd prefer not to miss, like a Giants game they've purchased and blocked everywhere else.

It sounds like we watch more TV than we actually do, but it's nice to be able to watch virtually anything when you want to, and not have to stay up late or make your schedule conform to a provider's. Cloud DVR with unlimited storage makes that possible, and we never have to watch another commercial.
levelride

Post by levelride »

I'm on month two of subscribing to Hulu+ for live TV. The selection of channels is decent and there are a few other products rolled-up as a bundle (Disney+, ESPN+, and maybe one more service). However, I find it very annoying that I cannot stream from "remote locations." For example, I work 60 miles from my house. If I try to play live TV in my office, the stream is thwarted for being in a different area. For me, this is basically a deal breaker. The point of streaming services is that one should be able to access anywhere (albeit, with channels locked in to the home location).

It's been a few years since I subscribed to YouTube TV, but I'm considering switching back. Another contender is DirectTV Stream (previously AT&T NOW), which is solid. I had AT&T NOW pre-pandemic when I was still living out of a suitcase as a consultant. It was nice being able to watch local sports while traveling out of state. I believe HBO GO (now HBO MAX) was added in to the mix at no additional charge. I'm not sure if this is still the case.

All in all, the channel selections are fairly similar. I'd recommend skipping Hulu+. Keep an eye out for Black Friday savings. It looks like several streaming services are offering deep cuts if you lock in for a specific time period.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Xrayman69 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:28 pm

How do you get Sunday ticket without direct TV , unless in market without NFL team.

We have both Hulu and YouTube TV. (Hulu basic as part of bundle for free).

Love YouTube TV. Hulu ackward.
YouTube so easy to navigate and travels well.
I'm in NY and signed up NFL Sunday Ticket w/o DirecTV, not cheap. Streaming quality is OK for sports, nothing to brag about.
I've been using YTTV for about 4 years now. Love the feature where I could fast forward sports programs without commercials.

As for Sling, it might be the cheapest but pq is like 720p, not 1080i or 1080p. Both my TVs and 1 projector are 4k, so pq is important to me. Hulu does not carry much interesting programs, IMO. Do not care for shows like The Handmaids Tale. I have Prime so considered TNF as free, as well as its various TV fare. It has very limited 4k shows. Netflix cost too much, especially if one upgrades to 4k.

I'm rather old fashion, preferring 4k BR disks over streaming 4k movies.
Topic Author
bhwabeck3533

Re: YouTube TV vs Hulu (+'s and -'s)...NFL+

Post by bhwabeck3533 »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:26 pm
OP here. Thanks for all the informative responses so far.

Still hoping for feedback on NFL+. I just received a free subscription as a perk for being a Green Bay Packer season ticket holder (be nice, we've had a stinker of a season). Anyone out there tried NFL+?
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

No. Here is a summary and comparison with other NFL packages. I did not opt for it since it does not carry out-of-market games, like the more expensive NFL Sunday Ticket. There is NO CASTING allowed.

Enjoy.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/new ... d3znkm5yj3

BTW, this has not been an exciting NFL season. Might want to just go for the Red Zone next year.
NYGiantsFan

Post by NYGiantsFan »

Conch55 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 3:20 pm
How would simultaneous streams work if one of the devices is in another location (state)? Would they see channels from the subscribers area?
It allows 3 streams with each device getting stream based upon its location. We tested it when our son was in college in different time zone. He used to get local channel to that time zone.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

bhwabeck3533 wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 5:26 pm I "cut the cord" about two months ago. I am seeing lots of positives to streaming versus cable.

For me, the simple answer is I keep what I want to watch. If there is nothing I really want to watch I cancel, and then if a new show pops up that I want to watch on a canceled provider I sign up again.
It's hard to recommend one service over another without knowing what you want to watch.
If you are not into anything currently offered on Netflix, for example, ditch it. It's easy enough to sign up again without penalty. There was something we really wanted to watch on Apple Plus so we subscribed. If we finish by the end of our first month we will cancel.
Also, consider that some shows that, for example, are not Amazon Prime offerings can still be purchased individually or per episode at Amazon or otherwhere, and that can sometimes be an easier and potentially cheaper way to go.
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

I’ve tried both and prefer YouTube tv. But, you could test drive each for a month and pick your preference. I’m a cheapskate but finally realized that there are no contracts so you can try one out for a months cost. It’s easy to try and easy to swap, no contracts.