Hard water stains on marble countertop

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
roamingzebra

Hard water stains on marble countertop

Post by roamingzebra »

Situation is a marble countertop that has accummulated calcium deposits/stains around the faucets. Not having much luck finding solutions on the Web or YouTube. In fact, there was one YouTube video that showed a promising product where the spots disappeared in real time as the guy was demonstrating the product, but reviewers on Amazon said that once the surface dried, the stains would be visible again.

Recommendations?

FWIW, it's not my countertop so I'm not sure of the details. All I know is it's real marble and not "cultured" marble, whatever that is.
hicabob

Re: Hard water stains on marble countertop

Post by hicabob »

Problem is marble is largely composed of lime which is what most hard water stains are so anything that removes the stain, generally acid, removes the marble too.
mrc

Post by mrc »

You *might* be able to wet sand the deposits off with very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper, then polish with some white auto compound. If you get that far, seal the heck out of surface and dry the area after use.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
yolointopants

Post by yolointopants »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:11 pm Situation is a marble countertop that has accummulated calcium deposits/stains around the faucets. Not having much luck finding solutions on the Web or YouTube. In fact, there was one YouTube video that showed a promising product where the spots disappeared in real time as the guy was demonstrating the product, but reviewers on Amazon said that once the surface dried, the stains would be visible again.

Recommendations?

FWIW, it's not my countertop so I'm not sure of the details. All I know is it's real marble and not "cultured" marble, whatever that is.
Barkeepers Friend? Best place to try something new is someone else's countertop.
Topic Author
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

mrc wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:41 pm You *might* be able to wet sand the deposits off with very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper, then polish with some white auto compound. If you get that far, seal the heck out of surface and dry the area after use.
I did try a little baking soda and water and the gentle abrasion seemed to do some good. But plenty more residue is left.

As for a sealant, the owner of the countertop has a product called "Briwax Granite & Marble Polishing Wax". It's a blend of natural waxes and says that it cleans & shines in one step and restores an old dull surface. Would that qualify as a sealant? Or is the word sealant required?
mrspock

Post by mrspock »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:11 pm Situation is a marble countertop that has accummulated calcium deposits/stains around the faucets. Not having much luck finding solutions on the Web or YouTube. In fact, there was one YouTube video that showed a promising product where the spots disappeared in real time as the guy was demonstrating the product, but reviewers on Amazon said that once the surface dried, the stains would be visible again.

Recommendations?

I just sold a house and got those off. If they are largely surface deposits (raised above am counter surface), the trick is you take a sharp box cutter blade and gently scrape them off (carefully hold the blade in your fingers, not the holder). Use 0000 stainless steel wool to remove fines and polish.

If they are embedded in the marble… no clue.
eddot98

Post by eddot98 »

Recommendations?

Don’t use Lime Away. The company says not to use it on natural marble. Too bad, as it works well on our stainless steel countertop dish drainers.
mrc

Post by mrc »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:03 pm
mrc wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:41 pm You *might* be able to wet sand the deposits off with very fine wet-or-dry sandpaper, then polish with some white auto compound. If you get that far, seal the heck out of surface and dry the area after use.
I did try a little baking soda and water and the gentle abrasion seemed to do some good. But plenty more residue is left.

As for a sealant, the owner of the countertop has a product called "Briwax Granite & Marble Polishing Wax". It's a blend of natural waxes and says that it cleans & shines in one step and restores an old dull surface. Would that qualify as a sealant? Or is the word sealant required?
This sounds more like a polish, aimed at improving the look. You want something to keep water out of the pores, where it will evaporate and leave behind the mineral residue. Google "removing lime stains from marble," and "marble sealant to prevent lime deposits" and read up. Letting hard water dry on the surface (every time you use the faucet) is what creates the stain — that's why you want to dry the surface after use, and seal.

PS I noticed that product appears to be discontinued online.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Jake514

Post by Jake514 »

I bought and used four different polishing pads I bought on the internet. You start with the course one and water spray, and gradually work up to the finest one using a drill motor.
Topic Author
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

mrspock wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:00 pm I just sold a house and got those off. If they are largely surface deposits (raised above am counter surface), the trick is you take a sharp box cutter blade and gently scrape them off (carefully hold the blade in your fingers, not the holder). Use 0000 stainless steel wool to remove fines and polish.
Thanks. The box cutter is working great on the surface deposits. And the advice to hold the blade not the handle is a real help. There are some stains embedded in the marble but most are raised, so the prognosis looks good.
Nate7out

Post by Nate7out »

I've used Brite and Clean on granite with success. Might be worth some research to see if it could work for marble. It seems like its just an abrasive cleaner.

https://simplecleaningsolutions.com/col ... oncentrate
Topic Author
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Nate7out wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 12:55 pm I've used Brite and Clean on granite with success. Might be worth some research to see if it could work for marble. It seems like its just an abrasive cleaner.

https://simplecleaningsolutions.com/col ... oncentrate
It looks like a great cleaner and one worth trying for general water spots. I'll keep it on my radar.

In the meantime, since I've had success with the box-cutter, I'm going to continue on the path recommended by mrspock and use 0000 steel wool for the finishing work. I've already ordered some and it sounds pretty amazing. It cleans a ton of suface types with no scratching.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

roamingzebra wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:05 pm
mrspock wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:00 pm I just sold a house and got those off. If they are largely surface deposits (raised above am counter surface), the trick is you take a sharp box cutter blade and gently scrape them off (carefully hold the blade in your fingers, not the holder). Use 0000 stainless steel wool to remove fines and polish.
Thanks. The box cutter is working great on the surface deposits. And the advice to hold the blade not the handle is a real help. There are some stains embedded in the marble but most are raised, so the prognosis looks good.
We use this method all the time, but we use a glass/razor scraper. It's the only thing that has worked for us. We have granite which gets hard water build up also around the faucet area. You would/will need to use the entire tool, not just the blade (I would think that would be dangerous.)
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

Regarding what works on granite vs marble — they are very different stones and marble is much softer, porous and comprised of a high amount of calcite, which is why anything acidic will leave etching. A product or method that works on granite (which is extremely hard) is very likely to leave abrasions or etching on marble.

This site https://usenaturalstone.org/granite-vs-marble/ has lots of great information.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
WillRetire

Post by WillRetire »

Dealt with this problem on granite. Worked on it gradually. Used baking soda & wet toothbrush followed by a Fantastic or Weiman or Method All-Purpose cleaner. Also applied cooking oil (canola) & let sit for 10 or so minutes which seemed to soften up the deposits. Scraped (gently) with a small narrow metal spatula that is somewhat flexible and has no sharp edges, the type used to frost a cake.

My granite is dark, so I can't be sure that none of these discolored it in some way; looks fine.