Surface pro vs MacBook

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Freddobbs

Surface pro vs MacBook

Post by Freddobbs »

I am looking for some suggestions on which you like and why. I have narrowed down my choices to these as I like a smaller laptop, good speed for internet and some basic office 365 usage.

I want to get 5 years out of it with decent usage. Any comments as to which you have preferred? I like apple but they are so expensive.

P.s. not looking for a windows iOS discussion.

Thanks
rob

Re: Surface pro vs MacBook

Post by rob »

I've had two surfaces tablet/keyboards and the battery has been pathetic on both.... starts out great but turns into a joke. Not sure a macbook is the right option but a surface tablet is terrible... I think they have a surface laptop now so might be different...
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
02nz

Post by 02nz »

Freddobbs wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm P.s. not looking for a windows iOS discussion.
And yet that's the most relevant question. (Or, rather: Windows vs MacOS, which I assume is what you meant.) Both devices will accomplish your goal. I'm a Windows user, but if you aren't already heavily tied into Windows for some reason, it's very hard to do better than a MacBook Air (M1 is a better value than the newer M2) for general-purpose computing. Normally Windows computers have the edge in value, but Surface devices are expensive, and Microsoft charges a lot more for storage upgrades than even Apple does.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

When I switched from Win to Mac, I found the change difficult, as I had to adjust my computing logic to the way Apple does stuff. So the win/ios issue is relevant.
However, once done, the Macs/iPads/iPhones have turned out to be much more reliable. Much less hassle with updates, malware protection, etc. My Macbook is faster, and at 4 years runs like new.
To me there is no debate. The cost is justified by my sanity.
student

Post by student »

I have several surface pros and several macbooks. The SP is horrible for using it as a laptop on your lap. It is also too heavy to be used as a tablet. But it is great when I use it to teach and grade assignments that are submitted digitally. For everything else, I use my MacBooks. I like the current MacBook Air because it has no fan, and so no fan noise.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

+1 to M2 Macbook Air... and I say this typing from a 2019 pimped-out Macbook Pro. I'm going going to order 1 on the 25th for my wife (Apple black Friday deals) and maybe one for me as well.. ;)
Fpdesignco

Post by Fpdesignco »

Surface book and laptop are the two best devices I have ever had. I do not like the regular surface however.

Not a Mac person, but have had several for work, kind of apples and oranges though.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Freddobbs wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm I want to get 5 years out of it with decent usage. Any comments as to which you have preferred? I like apple but they are so expensive.
Buy the cheapest MacBook Air. You can get one for $800 now. Keep it for 3-4 years instead of 5, sell it (for a surprisingly high amount given how fast tech products typically depreciate), and replace it with the cheapest MacBook Air that is available at that time.

The lowest end MacBook at any given moment is faster and more powerful than the most expensive MacBook from 5 years ago. None of the add ons are a good value for a normal person doing normal computer activities.
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

climber2020 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:49 pm
Freddobbs wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm I want to get 5 years out of it with decent usage. Any comments as to which you have preferred? I like apple but they are so expensive.
Buy the cheapest MacBook Air. You can get one for $800 now. Keep it for 3-4 years instead of 5, sell it (for a surprisingly high amount given how fast tech products typically depreciate), and replace it with the cheapest MacBook Air that is available at that time.

The lowest end MacBook at any given moment is faster and more powerful than the most expensive MacBook from 5 years ago. None of the add ons are a good value for a normal person doing normal computer activities.
+1, I have the m1 laptop and it's fantastic
mceagle555

Post by mceagle555 »

As someone who has owned over 25 laptops in the last 20 years (I am a tech guy that likes laptops), I have narrowed it down to this recommendation:

1. Professional use (Spreadsheets, lots of email) = Get a good PC (Thinkpad, XPS, etc...)
2. Personal use (Surfing web, photos, video) = Get a Mac

If your family is in the Apple ecosystem, being able to send texts, webpages, FaceTime, etc...is extremely nice via Mac.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Apple’s computers are not expensive. They are competitively priced and, at least in the segment you’re looking, significantly outperform similarly priced windows models.

Apple doesn’t make a $400 laptop, but I also think Surface Pros are not budget devices. Spec out similar models and go from there. This is a great week to buy.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

Freddobbs wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm I am looking for some suggestions on which you like and why. I have narrowed down my choices to these as I like a smaller laptop, good speed for internet and some basic office 365 usage.

I want to get 5 years out of it with decent usage. Any comments as to which you have preferred? I like apple but they are so expensive.

Thanks
spouse uses a surface pro and i have (& had) many macbooks.

her generation of surface uses a proprietary power plug instead of common usb-c, which is lunacy.
its form factor and design is nice, probably my favorite of all non-apple machines...

..but the the biggest user-experience difference IS in the operating system. for me apple wins on all fronts.
dan7800

Post by dan7800 »

Do you want to enter the Mac eco system? What type of phone do you have?

You pay a premium to enter the Mac eco system and play by their rules. With that said, my 2 cents is that Apple stuff is GENERALLY better quality that its competitors. There are exceptions though.

I was using a 2008 Macbook pro as my daily computer until about 2 years ago when the software just didn't support anything. It worked flawlessly hardware wise.
student

Post by student »

dan7800 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:08 am Do you want to enter the Mac eco system? What type of phone do you have?

You pay a premium to enter the Mac eco system and play by their rules. With that said, my 2 cents is that Apple stuff is GENERALLY better quality that its competitors. There are exceptions though.

I was using a 2008 Macbook pro as my daily computer until about 2 years ago when the software just didn't support anything. It worked flawlessly hardware wise.
You can put linux on it or even put Ventura on it if you are willing to tinker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOqHMo5WSQ
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:10 am her generation of surface uses a proprietary power plug instead of common usb-c, which is lunacy.
Let's see:
  • All Surface devices use Surface connect, a magnetic power connection that can be also be used for docking. Charging via USB-C PD is also an option for the four most recent generations (7, 7+, 8, 9).
  • Current MacBooks use MagSafe3, a magnetic connection that only supplies power and cannot be used for docking. Charging via USB-C PD is also an option.
  • Surface connect has been consistent across all generations of devices. The charger that came with my Surface Pro 3 in 2014 still works with the current Pro 9.
  • Earlier MacBooks used two previous iterations of MagSafe, all three of which are physically different, though there was a janky 1->2 adapter. For the two generations in between MagSafe2 and MagSafe3 (TouchBar and M1), Apple only provided USB-C.
I guess both companies are lunatics, though Microsoft's flavor of insanity is more flexible and consistent than Apple's.
London

Post by London »

I really like Surface Pros. But I agree with the comment above about difficulty in using it on your lap. If that’s the way you like to work, I’d get something else.

I currently travel with a Surface Pro and an IPad Pro, so clearly I haven’t found one perfect solution.
student

Post by student »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:37 am
hunoraut wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:10 am her generation of surface uses a proprietary power plug instead of common usb-c, which is lunacy.
Let's see:
  • All Surface devices use Surface connect, a magnetic power connection that can be also be used for docking. Charging via USB-C PD is also an option for the four most recent generations (7, 7+, 8, 9).
  • Current MacBooks use MagSafe3, a magnetic connection that only supplies power and cannot be used for docking. Charging via USB-C PD is also an option.
  • Surface connect has been consistent across all generations of devices. The charger that came with my Surface Pro 3 in 2014 still works with the current Pro 9.
  • Earlier MacBooks used two previous iterations of MagSafe, all three of which are physically different, though there was a janky 1->2 adapter. For the two generations in between MagSafe2 and MagSafe3 (TouchBar and M1), Apple only provided USB-C.
I guess both companies are lunatics, though Microsoft's flavor of insanity is more flexible and consistent than Apple's.
You made very good points. I have Surface Pros 7,8 and M1 MacBooks and I can confirm that USB-C are fine with them. In fact, I am using USC-C on my M1 MacBook Pro right now because the supplied cord is too short.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:37 am Let's see:
Her Surface Pro 6 was released in 2019-2020, with only proprietary charger.

At that time, my contemporaneous Macbook Retina charged cia USB-C, which it has had since 2015. (and ehich I used interchangeably with my Dell, Lenovo, and Huawei laptops…).

Microsoft coming in the game 6 years behind is lunacy…
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I have had several Surface Pro's; now using the SP8.
I also have a mid 2015 MacBookPro 17" (my 2nd MBP since 2006).
Both of these computers are excellent computers.

The SP8 is much more portable than my MBP because of the size and weight of MBP.

The SP8 can be used as a desktop or as a laptop or a tablet...not so with the MBP.
The SP8 can also be used as a touchscreen, with a pencil, or a full keyboard and an excellent stand.
I find the SP8 more flexible is how it can be used.
My MBP is the best desktop/laptop I've owned, but it has drawbacks; no touchscreen; no pencil; can't detach the keyboard like the SP.

I suggest, if you have the time, go to BestBuy and give both a demo to see which you like better.
My SP8 is much lighted than my 2015 MBP; I would hate to have to lug around my MBP pro.
I stayed away from the OS debate as you said.

Good luck with your choice; you can't go wrong choosing either one.
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

Is your smart phone Android or iPhone?

If the latter, iOS and MacOS are highly integrated and each enhances the other's utility. Many apps and work flows are harmonized between the two OS/devices and just work. For example, I can copy text or image on my phone and paste into my laptop. The Notes app, is a great peripheral brain utility on both iPhone & Mac, and just works.
≈63yo. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% foreign LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTIX. Fed pensions now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses. What me worry?
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

calmaniac wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:54 am Is your smart phone Android or iPhone?

If the latter, iOS and MacOS are highly integrated and each enhances the other's utility. Many apps and work flows are harmonized between the two OS/devices and just work. For example, I can copy text or image on my phone and paste into my laptop. The Notes app, is a great peripheral brain utility on both iPhone & Mac, and just works.
is that the "faxing" that can be done on iPhone using Notes? Thanks.

note: not trying to highjack the thread...just a question.
flyingcows

Post by flyingcows »

If I had to buy a laptop that ran Windows, I would probably get the Surface Laptop.

If I didn't have a requirement to use Windows, I would get an M2 Macbook Air, no contest
This content is for entertainment purposes only
calmaniac

Post by calmaniac »

bondsr4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:00 am is that the "faxing" that can be done on iPhone using Notes? Thanks.
I assuming you aren't referring to the actual sending of a "fax", but I have no clue of what else it could be. :confused

Here is the Apple page on Notes: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/ ... 4f3be2/ios

9 to 5 Mac using Apple Notes on iPhone to its full potential: https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/04/notes-app/

Mac Power Users podcast with discussion of Notes: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/667
≈63yo. AA 75/25: 30% TSM, 19% value (VFVA/AVUV), 18% foreign LC, 8% emerging, 25% GFund/VBTIX. Fed pensions now ≈60% of expenses. Taking SS @age 70--> pension+SS ≈100% of expenses. What me worry?
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

calmaniac wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:23 am
bondsr4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:00 am is that the "faxing" that can be done on iPhone using Notes? Thanks.
I assuming you aren't referring to the actual sending of a "fax", but I have no clue of what else it could be. :confused

Here is the Apple page on Notes: https://support.apple.com/guide/iphone/ ... 4f3be2/ios

9 to 5 Mac using Apple Notes on iPhone to its full potential: https://9to5mac.com/2022/03/04/notes-app/

Mac Power Users podcast with discussion of Notes: https://www.relay.fm/mpu/667
Thanks for the links...I'll check them out.
I recall something about taking a pic on the phone and then "somehow" bringing the photo over into Notes.
I'm gonna need to further check this out; but thanks for your help with the links!
balofagus

Post by balofagus »

I took faxing to mean the document scanning feature this link highlights second, however the follow up seems to be talking about copy/paste?

Ignore my edit! :sharebeer
Last edited by balofagus on Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

balofagus wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:28 am

I took faxing to mean the document scanning feature this link highlights second
aha...that's probably what it's all about...many thanks :sharebeer
HMSVictory

Post by HMSVictory »

MacBook Air (M1 or M2) all day and twice on Sunday. Apple's chip set are a generation ahead of intels or AMD.

Mac OSX is so much better than Windows they don't even really compare. I have Apple laptops that are over 10 years old going strong.
Stay the course!
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

What kind of cell phone I have would drive the decision. Mac doesn't play well with Android phones and iPhones don't play well with Windows machines.

Once my only computer was a Mac, I switched to iPhone.
Your warning level - now recently upgraded!: [5]
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Atilla wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 am What kind of cell phone I have would drive the decision. Mac doesn't play well with Android phones and iPhones don't play well with Windows machines.

yes...that is a huge factor in the decision...
I have an iPhone and it plays very well with my iPadPro and MacBookPro and Apple Watch.
This would be the deciding factor for me.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

I have a 12" MacBook, purchased in 2016, that I love. I keep it on my nightstand for easy weather and email checks, and to read books with Apple's Books app or Amazon's Kindle app for Mac. I also use it as a lightweight laptop for vacations. We have new MacBook Air M2's as our main laptops, but I love the 12" MacBook for web browsing, reading books, and Word and Excel documents.

You can still buy a refurbished 12" MacBook from Apple or Amazon - I highly recommend it as a reliable lightweight computer. If you want a "modern" high power laptop, you can't beat the new MacBook Air M2. I have not used the M1 version, so I can't comment on the comparison.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Office 365 and OneDrive tend to go together. Do you use OneDrive? You get 2 TB with a subscription.

No touch screen on MacBook. That could be a significant missing feature for general surfing of the internet.

HP has a pretty good sale. You could look at a 2 in 1. 7% back from Rakuten today I noted. Make sure you are using Rakuten for all your holiday shopping. Completely free money.

We have had a Surface 4 for a long time. Been reliable and I like the size. Started having an issue with it not recognizing the keyboard.

Lots of Black Friday type deals the next few days.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

My personal machine is a MacBook Pro 13” 2013. No typo. It’s the best computer I have ever bought. I bought a higher end config (16gb RAM, 512 GB SSD), and it still does what most people buy laptops for without any compromises. Never had to reinstall the OS from scratch (as I usually have to do with Windows machines every few years).

My work machine is a Dell Surface clone. It feels clunky, has poor battery life. I don’t need it for anything other than to edit some office files, some web apps, and Outlook, and I am not complaining to IT about the clunker they gave me, but it’s pretty clear I wouldn’t spend my own money on it.

I am now getting ready to buy a replacement for my MacBook Pro. Looking at the 14” M1 model. Like in 2013, I will buy a higher end configuration and fully expect it to last for most of this decade. The 2013 machine will get handed down to a family member who needs a new laptop.

If you are a Windows user, it will, of course, take a bit of time to learn the Max way of doing things. Or vice versa. Learning something new is a good thing, not something to be afraid of.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

hunoraut wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:10 am
lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:37 am Let's see:
Her Surface Pro 6 was released in 2019-2020, with only proprietary charger.

At that time, my contemporaneous Macbook Retina charged cia USB-C, which it has had since 2015. (and ehich I used interchangeably with my Dell, Lenovo, and Huawei laptops…).

Microsoft coming in the game 6 years behind is lunacy…
Your dates and math are both faulty. The SP6 came out in 2018, not 2020. It was discontinued in 2019. I only made it through Calculus and Linear Algebra, but I can't make 8-5=6. Though indeed introduced on the Retina Macbook the year before, USB-C didn't make it to the MacBook Pro until 2016, on a "revolutionary" update, nearly all of which's changes have been walked back. It eliminated MagSafe, which is now back. Eliminated HDMI, which is now back. Eliminated the function keys, which are now back. Changed the keyboard design, which was reverted to the old style in the next model. Eliminated the SD card slot, which is now back. The Verge did a nice writeup on this last year. The MB Air finally got USB-C in 2018, less than a year before the SP7. MS was indeed a couple years to the party, but didn't have to subsequently apologize to their customers for breaking compatibility with literally everything they already used, which is kind of important in a business-focused device.

At any rate, I doubt the OP is looking to purchase a 4-year-old machine, so all of this is kinda moot. Either device can be charged by USB-C, or a proprietary magnetic charger.
Yarlonkol12

Post by Yarlonkol12 »

Atilla wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 am What kind of cell phone I have would drive the decision. Mac doesn't play well with Android phones and iPhones don't play well with Windows machines.

Does that matter to most people? I can't remember the last time I connected my phone to my computers, why would someone do this? I use Google Services which work great across all devices for sharing data (drive, photos, chrome, docs, etc)

That said, I do think it's important to avoid the Apple services ecosystem as it has poor support on other platforms. Use google services instead
My posts are for entertainment purposes only.
mnsportsgeek

Post by mnsportsgeek »

Freddobbs wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm I am looking for some suggestions on which you like and why. I have narrowed down my choices to these as I like a smaller laptop, good speed for internet and some basic office 365 usage.

Thanks
It’s windows vs. MacOS. And it’s the only thing that matters
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Yarlonkol12 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:01 pm
Atilla wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:38 am
Does that matter to most people? I can't remember the last time I connected my phone to my computers, why would someone do this? I use Google Services which work great across all devices for sharing data (drive, photos, chrome, docs, etc)

That said, I do think it's important to avoid the Apple services ecosystem as it has poor support on other platforms. Use google services instead
I had an iPhone and a Windows laptop. I now have a Mac (have had it for a long time) and an Android phone and an iPad. I choose the best hardware and software for my needs. As you say, I avoid using Apple’s proprietary cloud services because I don’t want lock-in to one eco system. Google files, docs, calendar and email work fine for me on all devices.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:50 am Your dates and math are both faulty. The SP6 came out in 2018, not 2020. It was discontinued in 2019. I only made it through Calculus and Linear Algebra, but I can't make 8-5=6. Though indeed introduced on the Retina Macbook the year before, USB-C didn't make it to the MacBook Pro until 2016, on a "revolutionary" update, nearly all of which's changes have been walked back.
Your reading is faulty. Who said SP6 came out in 2020, or made any mention of Macbook Pro?

My Macbook 12” with usbC was delivered in April 2015

SP6 was released late October 2018, and SP7 late October 2019. This gave it a ~300 days in the 2019-2020 year and ~70 days in the 2018-2019…and actually Microsoft continued selling it alongside the SP7 to get rid of stock.

Is that more useful timeline representation?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

hunoraut wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:14 am Your reading is faulty. Who said SP6 came out in 2020, or made any mention of Macbook Pro?
This person did. Perhaps you know them:
hunoraut wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:10 am Her Surface Pro 6 was released in 2019-2020, with only proprietary charger.
hunoraut wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:14 amMy Macbook 12” with usbC was delivered in April 2015
I did acknowledge that. And yes, your Macbook was indeed the very first full-spec laptop (as opposed to a mobile device or chromebook) sold by anyone with USB-C. My point was, it was by no means ubiquitous. That took several years. My point in bringing in the MBP is that when they started pushing their experiment across the line; and that pushing consumers before they were ready to go was a decision they ultimately regretted.
hunoraut wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 3:14 amSP6 was released late October 2018, and SP7 late October 2019. This gave it a ~300 days in the 2019-2020 year and ~70 days in the 2018-2019…and actually Microsoft continued selling it alongside the SP7 to get rid of stock.

Is that more useful timeline representation?
Sort of. I can now understand what you meant to say. But I don't recognize 2019-2020 as a year (it's two), so it would be clearer to say 70 days in 2018 and 300 days in 2019, rather than somehow trying to bring 2020 into the picture as a "release year" to exaggerate a point. How about if we just agree that the last Surface Pro without USB-C was discontinued 4.5 years after the first Macbook with it was introduced, and 3 months after the last MacBook without USB-C (2017 MacBook Air) was discontinued.

But again, OP is not likely shopping in 2018 or 2019 via time machine, so the fact that a device you bought 3-4 years ago did not charge via USB-C is still totally irrelevant.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

Freddobbs wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:38 pm
I want to get 5 years out of it with decent usage.
Then the only choice is a MacBook, full stop. You can get a MacBook Air for around $1k and it'll last you five years.

The Surface Pro is a horrible "hybrid" device that is not good as a laptop and awful as a tablet. If you want a laptop, get a laptop. If you want a tablet, get a tablet.

The Surface Pro cannot be used comfortably on your lap, and it won't fit on an airplane tray table, negating two major uses of laptops. In terms of tablet use, Windows was never meant to be a tablet operating system, and you can tell. Apps aren't well designed and it's just not comfortable to hold.

I've tried Surfaces before, and always gotten rid of them because I can't figure out what they are for. The same holds true for everyone else I've known that have bought them.
hunoraut

Post by hunoraut »

NYCaviator wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:31 am
Then the only choice is a MacBook, full stop. You can get a MacBook Air for around $1k and it'll last you five years.

The Surface Pro is a horrible "hybrid" device that is not good as a laptop and awful as a tablet. If you want a laptop, get a laptop. If you want a tablet, get a tablet.

The Surface Pro cannot be used comfortably on your lap, and it won't fit on an airplane tray table, negating two major uses of laptops. In terms of tablet use, Windows was never meant to be a tablet operating system, and you can tell. Apps aren't well designed and it's just not comfortable to hold.

I've tried Surfaces before, and always gotten rid of them because I can't figure out what they are for. The same holds true for everyone else I've known that have bought them.
They have lighter and smaller Surfaces, but the Pro my spouse has is too large (as you mentioned) and also too heavy to use in tablet mode.

Otherwise nice feel of construction and nice keyboard, above most windows class stuff.

Ive owned tablets before, but feel modern ultrabooks serve the same purpose. Despite keyboard not detaching or folding back, overall unit footprint is compact enough for use-cases such as consuming media in bed.
slowandsteadywins

Post by slowandsteadywins »

I prefer MacOS (Apple) over Windows. The only reason I have a Windows PC is for gaming.
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence; Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." | -Calvin Coolidge
dan7800

Post by dan7800 »

student wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:19 am
dan7800 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:08 am Do you want to enter the Mac eco system? What type of phone do you have?

You can put linux on it or even put Ventura on it if you are willing to tinker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOqHMo5WSQ
Agreed. I'm just too lazy.
KarlJ

Post by KarlJ »

I decided to go with the Surface Pro about 6 1/2 years ago because the MacBook doesn't work easily with peripherals like monitors. The Surface Pro can work seamlessly with an external monitor. My setup uses a dock to connect speakers, disk drives, battery charger, and monitor to the Surface Pro.

I got just about 5 years of relatively trouble-free usage out of a Surface Pro 4, before I got a Surface Pro 7 and was able to transfer the entire configuration with peripherals over to the SP7.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

KarlJ wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 5:36 pm
I decided to go with the Surface Pro about 6 1/2 years ago because the MacBook doesn't work easily with peripherals like monitors. The Surface Pro can work seamlessly with an external monitor. My setup uses a dock to connect speakers, disk drives, battery charger, and monitor to the Surface Pro.

I got just about 5 years of relatively trouble-free usage out of a Surface Pro 4, before I got a Surface Pro 7 and was able to transfer the entire configuration with peripherals over to the SP7.
+1

i had a SP4 years ago, then traded it in for a SP6.
this past summer I traded the SP6 in for a SP8.
I like the flexibility the SP’s offer.
I still have my ipadpro and macbook pro.
all are really good tech.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

Both Surface Pro and Apple hardware are excellent products from hardware point of view, with very good build quality.
The real choice comes down to the operating system, and that is a personal preference.
I used both Surface Pro and MacBook Pro, but because I don't like Mac OS, i wiped it out and installed windows on it. The (Intel version of) MacBook Pro is considered by many (including myself) one of the best windows laptops ever.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

squirrel1963 wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 2:27 am Both Surface Pro and Apple hardware are excellent products from hardware point of view, with very good build quality.
The real choice comes down to the operating system, and that is a personal preference.
I used both Surface Pro and MacBook Pro, but because I don't like Mac OS, i wiped it out and installed windows on it. The (Intel version of) MacBook Pro is considered by many (including myself) one of the best windows laptops ever.
+1
FellsGuy

Post by FellsGuy »

I found the keyboard very annoying on the surface pro it seemed fine at first but was soon really grating but if you're just browsing the web and doing emails its probably fine.
“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness. | Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

mceagle555 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:14 pm As someone who has owned over 25 laptops in the last 20 years (I am a tech guy that likes laptops), I have narrowed it down to this recommendation:

1. Professional use (Spreadsheets, lots of email) = Get a good PC (Thinkpad, XPS, etc...)
2. Personal use (Surfing web, photos, video) = Get a Mac

If your family is in the Apple ecosystem, being able to send texts, webpages, FaceTime, etc...is extremely nice via Mac.
Agree. I'd never dream of using a Mac for work and for my college students I'm getting Lenovo laptops. Performance is adequate and power consumption doesn't really matter, just carry a brick.

But for home use 100% Mac, no way I'd use anything Windows. I've had a MBPro for 10 years and it still runs like new. Very little "IT support" required.