Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab A8 vs iPad mini 6

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
September

Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab A8 vs iPad mini 6

Post by September »

I have an iPad mini4 (128GB) for about 5 years and it is still working fine, though the screen size is a bit small for streaming.

About a week ago I bought Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab A8 32GB for $160 that I haven't opened yet. Now it seems that I can get a slightly better black Friday deal (Walmart is selling at $139). Also I am thinking about buying the 64 GB version as it has larger (4GB) RAM. I am thinking of returning the Samsung tablet I bought a week ago.

I really like the camera on iPad mini 4. The iPad mini 6 sells for $400 now and it has a better camera than iPad mini 4 . I think maybe I should wait a little bit for the iPad mini 6 price to come down.

So, what's the best choice for me? Or do you have other suggestions regarding the tablets?

Thanks!
Last edited by September on Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dukeblue219

Re: Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab A8 vs iPad mini 6

Post by dukeblue219 »

If your mini 4 is good but too small, go get the regular ipad (2021 version) for $250ish right now.

Im as much a diehard Android phone guy as you'll find, but cheap android tablets are a big step down from an iPad.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I have been an android users for ages, but in general, I find the the Android tablet market to be full of terrible tablets. There are in my opinion a few issues with Android.

1. Android apps are not optimized for use with Android tablet screens unlike IOS.
2. IOS tablet are considerably more powerful. For example, the entry 8th gen Ipad with an older A12 cpu is considerably faster than android tablet in the same price range.
3. Features like fingerprint readers only show up in more expensive tablet. For example, the Tab A8 does not have a fingerprint reader and you would have to use a pin or the unsecure camera unlock.
4. Most IOS devices have long security update lifespan. Many android tablet, especially cheap ones might get no update. Samsung and Google tend to be better than others offering about 5 years.
5. If you use the pen, their softare support is considerably better.

One area android does have improvement is the screen and expandable storage. Many of the Android tablet also have faster charging. Most ipad seems to top out at around 20W charging, though pro model may take 30w.

If you feel that ipad mini is too small, try out the entry level ipad. The screen is about 10.2. It's not the greatest screen in the world but is pretty usable.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

September wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:39 pm I have a iPad mini4 (128GB) for about 5 years and it is still working fine, though the screen size is a bit small for streaming.

About a week ago I bought Samsung 10.5" Galaxy Tab A8 32GB for $160 that I haven't opened yet. Now it seems that I can get a slightly better black Friday deal (Walmart is selling at $139). Also I am thinking about buying the 64 GB version as it has larger (4GB) RAM. I am thinking of returning the Samsung tablet I bought a week ago.

I really like the camera on iPad mini 4. The iPad mini 6 sells for $400 now and it has better camera than iPad mini 4 . I think maybe I should wait a little for the iPad mini 6 price to come down.

So, what's the best choices for me? Or do you have other suggestions regarding the tablets?

Thanks!
To OP:
Consider a big upgrade on your iPad to this one. Great speed for streaming and screen is beautiful.
2022 Apple 10.9-inch iPad (Wi-Fi, 64GB) - Blue (10th Generation)
with Apple Care.
$400 range.

Return the Samsung.

The 10.9 inch 10th Gen iPad will be your "faithful droid" for years to come.
Especially if you use the Mac Platform. IE: iPhone, MacBook, etc.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

Thank you all for your quick replies! Much appreciated. I agree with what you all suggested and I returned my Samsung tablet. Yes, Ipad is much better. Ipad mini is small for streaming but good for travel.

I don't have an iphone or imac. The Ipad is the only apple device that I have. I am thinking of buying an iphone as well, as currently I have a Moto G4 Plus and I'd like to get a phone with a better camera.
Last edited by September on Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

If you want to stay with android for your phone, the Google Pixel line of phones have excellent cameras.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

September wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:01 pm
I don't have an iphone or imac. The Ipad is the only apple device that I had. I am thinking of buying an iphone as well, as currently I have a Moto G4 Plus and I'd like to get a phone with a better camera.
It's not all bad to have an iPad plus a good Android phone. Gives you best of both worlds in my opinion. I've done it that way since 2010, intermittently testing the Android tablet waters and coming away disappointed every time.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

For Android phone, I would recommend a Google Pixel for minimizing bloatware and 5 years of update. The second choice would be one of the Samsung phones. Usually you can get pretty decent deals for Android phones as oppose to iphones.

For tablet, I gotten my mom a Samsung Tab S8 and it's actually pretty good. The device is slower than the ipad, but that would not be noticed. The nice thing about it is that the screen is much better than the ipad and it comes with a stylus. The device has a fingerprint reader, allowing you to use it to unlock password manager and computer. The chief reason I got it for my mom is that she can't figure out how to use an ipad. I ended up customzing a launcher so she can use the tablet. The tablet also allow remote control using teamviewer or Anydesk. The remote control is quite useful in supporting family members since they might not be able to do something simple like clicking on the button with an red x on it.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

Kenkat wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:33 pm If you want to stay with android for your phone, the Google Pixel line of phones have excellent cameras.
Can you recommend a particular model of Google Pixel phone? Thanks!
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:40 pm
I don't have an iphone or imac. The Ipad is the only apple device that I had. I am thinking of buying an iphone as well, as currently I have a Moto G4 Plus and I'd like to get a phone with a better camera.
It's not all bad to have an iPad plus a good Android phone. Gives you best of both worlds in my opinion. I've done it that way since 2010, intermittently testing the Android tablet waters and coming away disappointed every time.
True. Android apps seem to be more popular than apple.
Last edited by September on Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opus360

Post by opus360 »

At home, we have Samsung Tab A7 10.?, the smaller Samsung tablet, the Samsung Tab S7+, Apple Ipad 9th gen (2021). My take: the A series from Samsung are good in the beginning, but they get slow over time. Get the ipad base model, 10 inch + one for $269. Best value.

If you want Samsung tablets, go with the "S" series, as they are much faster.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

dukeblue219 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:58 pm If your mini 4 is good but too small, go get the regular ipad (2021 version) for $250ish right now.

Im as much a diehard Android phone guy as you'll find, but cheap android tablets are a big step down from an iPad.
I have the plain old regular iPad which I bought last year. It works well for streaming. I decided my use is for internet surfing so I d9n’t need the latest and greatest iPad. It has 64gb. I use weather apps, notes, mail, safari, an app for classes I am taking, an app for my printer.

If you can get it for $250, I would get it.
02nz

Post by 02nz »

September wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:00 pm
dukeblue219 wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:40 pm
Ture. Android apps seem to be more popular than apple.
There are more Android users, but Apple users spend more on apps. App developers generally prioritize iOS over Android.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

gavinsiu wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:31 pm For tablet, I gotten my mom a Samsung Tab S8 and it's actually pretty good. The device is slower than the ipad, but that would not be noticed. The nice thing about it is that the screen is much better than the ipad and it comes with a stylus. The device has a fingerprint reader, allowing you to use it to unlock password manager and computer. The chief reason I got it for my mom is that she can't figure out how to use an ipad. I ended up customzing a launcher so she can use the tablet. The tablet also allow remote control using teamviewer or Anydesk. The remote control is quite useful in supporting family members since they might not be able to do something simple like clicking on the button with an red x on it.
Thanks for your information on Samsung Tab S8 and it's super helpful as my mom has similar issues. She doesn't know how to use the ipad to do the things she wants despite that I got rid of password login requirement and spent lots of time helping her. I also thought about using the remote control to access her computer but haven't explored yet. The remote control aspect of S8 is very useful. Do I need to buy another S8 in order to use the teamviewer or Anydesk, or, I can just use the smart phone to install these apps?
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

September wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:51 pm Thanks for your information on Samsung Tab S8 and it's super helpful as my mom has similar issues. She doesn't know how to use the ipad to do the things she wants despite that I got rid of password login requirement and spent lots of time helping her. I also thought about using the remote control to access her computer but haven't explored yet. The remote control aspect of S8 is very useful. Do I need to buy another S8 in order to use the teamviewer or Anydesk, or, I can just use the smart phone to install these apps?
The way I handle is that I limit the number of device she uses. She gets a phone, a tablet and a Chromebox. This limit the number of device I have to support.

Second is that I try to setup an "easy mode". On Android, I purchase a product call Nova Launcher that allow some to customer the launcher. I then heavy customize the launcher to have large icons with only specific apps that she needs. I then lock down the layout so she can't change it accidentally. ON the chrome box, I do something similar where I setup Speedial2 so she can go to certain sites by click on a button. To navigate, she opens the browser and click on the icon for her bank. She don't understand URL so can't type it. The icons shortcuts are a workaround. It's also best to have a fingerprint or Face ID, since mom have problems typing passwords.

For remote control, you basically install Teamviewer Host. Once host is running in the background, you can remote to the phone using Teamviewer on a PC.It probably works phone to phone, but in general, I find that super painful to use. The computer to phone is the best. The software is finicky. You will probably need to disable power management for the app Host or the phone will kill it to save power. You may also need the person on the other end to unlock the device.

Another issue with Teamviewer is that even though they claim that you can use the software for free for commercial use, they often lock you out because they detected that you are using the software commercially. You then have to appeal which often do not work. The software is just too expensive to buy. I use the software sparingly to avoid the dreaded lockout.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

gavinsiu wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:08 pm
The way I handle is that I limit the number of device she uses. She gets a phone, a tablet and a Chromebox. This limit the number of device I have to support.

Second is that I try to setup an "easy mode". On Android, I purchase a product call Nova Launcher that allow some to customer the launcher. I then heavy customize the launcher to have large icons with only specific apps that she needs. I then lock down the layout so she can't change it accidentally. ON the chrome box, I do something similar where I setup Speedial2 so she can go to certain sites by click on a button. To navigate, she opens the browser and click on the icon for her bank. She don't understand URL so can't type it. The icons shortcuts are a workaround. It's also best to have a fingerprint or Face ID, since mom have problems typing passwords.

For remote control, you basically install Teamviewer Host. Once host is running in the background, you can remote to the phone using Teamviewer on a PC.It probably works phone to phone, but in general, I find that super painful to use. The computer to phone is the best. The software is finicky. You will probably need to disable power management for the app Host or the phone will kill it to save power. You may also need the person on the other end to unlock the device.

Another issue with Teamviewer is that even though they claim that you can use the software for free for commercial use, they often lock you out because they detected that you are using the software commercially. You then have to appeal which often do not work. The software is just too expensive to buy. I use the software sparingly to avoid the dreaded lockout.
Thanks so much for sharing the process with me! It is very helpful for me. You understand the obstacles to help seniors with very limited computer skills to use these gadgets. The key is to set up an easy mode and lock down the layout!

I will see if I can use Teamviewer from my PC to remote control her PC. Also that I am thinking of buying her a smart TV with built in Alexa that I may be able to remote control the contents from Alexa for her. She wouldn't be able to figure out how to watch the TV.

Thanks again and happy Thanksgiving!
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

September wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:55 pm
Kenkat wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:33 pm If you want to stay with android for your phone, the Google Pixel line of phones have excellent cameras.
If you are someone who doesn’t like to spend $1000 on a phone (which is me), the Google Pixel 6a is selling at many stores for $299. If you have a phone to trade in, the Google Store - store.google.com - is giving additional discounts on top of the sale price.

If you are looking a flagship phone, the Pixel 7 or 7 Pro are also good choices.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

Kenkat wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:28 am
September wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:55 pm
If you are someone who doesn’t like to spend $1000 on a phone (which is me), the Google Pixel 6a is selling at many stores for $299. If you have a phone to trade in, the Google Store - store.google.com - is giving additional discounts on top of the sale price.

If you are looking a flagship phone, the Pixel 7 or 7 Pro are also good choices.
That sounds like a real good price, and I will check it out. My phone is a Moto G Power that does not have any trade-in value. Thanks very much for your reply and Happy Thanksgiving!
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

September wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:11 am Thanks so much for sharing the process with me! It is very helpful for me. You understand the obstacles to help seniors with very limited computer skills to use these gadgets. The key is to set up an easy mode and lock down the layout!

I will see if I can use Teamviewer from my PC to remote control her PC. Also that I am thinking of buying her a smart TV with built in Alexa that I may be able to remote control the contents from Alexa for her. She wouldn't be able to figure out how to watch the TV.

Let me know how the Alexa works out. I had attempted to transition my mom to voice command thinking that it would improve her control. This did not work. The google voice assistant and Bixby was unable to understand her. English is not her second language and the bot doesn't seemed to work for her. In fact, when she leaves a voice mail, Google often transcribe her message into incomprehensible gibberish. Apple visual voicemail just gives up and said it can't be done.

It doesn't work for me either. My wife thinks it's because I tend to talk super-east coast fast. No one else in my family has this issue. They all grew up in the Midwest.
Topic Author
September

Post by September »

gavinsiu wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 11:42 pm
September wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:11 am Thanks so much for sharing the process with me! It is very helpful for me. You understand the obstacles to help seniors with very limited computer skills to use these gadgets. The key is to set up an easy mode and lock down the layout!

Let me know how the Alexa works out. I had attempted to transition my mom to voice command thinking that it would improve her control. This did not work. The google voice assistant and Bixby was unable to understand her. English is not her second language and the bot doesn't seemed to work for her. In fact, when she leaves a voice mail, Google often transcribe her message into incomprehensible gibberish. Apple visual voicemail just gives up and said it can't be done.

It doesn't work for me either. My wife thinks it's because I tend to talk super-east coast fast. No one else in my family has this issue. They all grew up in the Midwest.
I'll let you know if I get the Alexa to work. I am thinking of installing a smart security camera in a limited area in my mom's living room and setting up in a way that the camera will face the TV and not the person who's watching the TV. And I will put the Alexa next to the TV. The security camera has a two way audio and I can turn on the camera and use the camera's audio to control the Alexa remotely.

Another thing I could do is to make a recording of certain tasks and put on a voice recorder, so she can play them to let the Alexa do them for her, i.e., sort of speed dials on phone.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

Interesting idea with camera, though I am not sure the voice will be understandable to Alexa.

Today, I tried to search for an anime using Google TV. I asked it for the anime "Demon School", but it responded with movies about "Human Stool". This is why I almost never use the voice command, it literally gives me crap results.