TurboTax 2022 [purchase discount thread]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
csmath

TurboTax 2022 [purchase discount thread]

Post by csmath »

I'm starting to do some end-of-the-year prep for 2022 taxes and figured the annual TurboTax "deal" thread was coming due soon. (Not the Fido Free TurboTax one!) If you are looking for a deal on TurboTax, I believe this is what you're looking for:
csmath wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:06 pm
Outer Marker wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:55 am I just got an offer for $10 off if I pre-order today. However, doesn't appear to be much actual saving since the fine print says "Price comparison based on anticipated price increase expected in March 2021." I use the desktop version. Any other better deals out there now or expected? I remember back in the day Vanguard gave free software to flagship members, but that along with most benefits seem to have gone by the wayside.
I believe it was two years ago someone suggested setting up a camelcamelcamel alert for a price drop on Amazon because for the last X number of years they have offered a discount + $10 amazon gift card. This brings the cost of TurboTax Deluxe down to about $32.38 I believe. According to my records, the sale is usually some time in December. I plan on seeing if the same deal shows up again this year.
csmath wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:09 pm I found the info from last year:
RickBoglehead wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:40 pm
MechEngOSU wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:39 pm
siamond wrote: Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:05 pm There is a Black Friday offer on Amazon for Turbotax Premier (Federal & State) at $69, PLUS a $10 gift card, hence a value of $59. Download version. Sounds good to me. There is a similar GC offer for Deluxe at $49.
Thanks Siamond. I ended up doing this TT Deluxe deal with the $10 gift card. Not too shabby. Also keeps me from checking each day for the next month!
Posted repeatedly - use camelcamelcamel and you don't need to check.
Here is the whole thread from 2019: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=294347
According to records, after the gift card I paid the following for Deluxe Federal+State Desktop Download on Amazon.com:

$32.38 - December 29, 2021
$32.38 - December 26, 2020
$32.38 - December 28, 2019
$32.37 - December 28, 2018

The full title of listed item in 2021 was:
"TurboTax Deluxe 2021 + $10 Gift Card [Amazon Exclusive] Tax Software Federal and State Returns w/ Federal E-file [PC Download]"
Cheez-It Guy

Re: TurboTax 2022 [purchase discount thread]

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Yes, it is typically for one day during the span between Christmas and New Year.
HAF-VA

Post by HAF-VA »

Try using CamelCamelCamel.com to track prices on amazon and set up a price drop notice. I ran an amazon price history of the 2021 version and you can see how the price changes. You can see the Black Friday drop and then the drop on Dec. 29.

https://3cmls.co/US/B09FW199HB
DrivingFun

Post by DrivingFun »

I believe Costco runs a similar deal to Amazon at the end of the year as well
JohnDoh

Post by JohnDoh »

When is TT22 actually "live"/functional? I see that it (or: *something*) is now available at Amazon. But will it get through an entire return more-or-less accurately today? If not now, when?

Thanks.
enad

Post by enad »

Even if you find TT 2022 at a better price, it's still going to be lacking many forms that won't be released until 2023. If you purchased the software for the 2021 tax year, you can use that as an estimate for 2022. It will not be exact but close. I do this for the current year and the one after (long range planning) and save the estimates with the tax year it's for with the word estimate in the title.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
02nz

Post by 02nz »

HAF-VA wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:17 am Try using CamelCamelCamel.com to track prices on amazon and set up a price drop notice. I ran an amazon price history of the 2021 version and you can see how the price changes. You can see the Black Friday drop and then the drop on Dec. 29.

Typically Amazon will run a promo that includes an Amazon gift card (I think $10 but may be higher for some versions), that's actually the best deal of all. There's always a thread here when that promo goes live.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

02nz wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 2:24 pm
HAF-VA wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:17 am Try using CamelCamelCamel.com to track prices on amazon and set up a price drop notice. I ran an amazon price history of the 2021 version and you can see how the price changes. You can see the Black Friday drop and then the drop on Dec. 29.

Typically Amazon will run a promo that includes an Amazon gift card (I think $10 but may be higher for some versions), that's actually the best deal of all. There's always a thread here when that promo goes live.
The best Amazon deal is always between Christmas and New Years.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

enad wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:39 am Even if you find TT 2022 at a better price, it's still going to be lacking many forms that won't be released until 2023. If you purchased the software for the 2021 tax year, you can use that as an estimate for 2022. It will not be exact but close. I do this for the current year and the one after (long range planning) and save the estimates with the tax year it's for with the word estimate in the title.
...and the inevitable bugs and fixes, which is why I don't recommend people filing too early until it all shakes out.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

JohnDoh wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:20 am When is TT22 actually "live"/functional? I see that it (or: *something*) is now available at Amazon. But will it get through an entire return more-or-less accurately today? If not now, when?

Thanks.
I purchased in late November last year and many forms and schedules were not available. I couldn't enter all my data for a preliminary run for several weeks.

This is last year's link for TurboTax form availability for the Windows version, but it looks like it has been updated for TTax 2022. https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intu ... idual.html

To check forms availability for TurboTax Online or TTax for Mac: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-suppor ... W_US_en_US

Even some of the most commonly used forms and schedules will not be finalized for quite a while:
Form 1040: late Dec/early Jan
Schedule 1 & 2 (Form 1040): early Jan
Schedule B (Interest & Dividend Income): Late Dec - early Jan
Form 2210, Underpayment of Estimated Tax: late Jan
Form 1116, Foreign Tax Credit: early Feb

The last couple of years I remember waiting until late February for either Form 2210 or Form 1116 (or maybe both).
JohnDoh

Post by JohnDoh »

Chip Munk wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:35 pm
JohnDoh wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 6:20 am When is TT22 actually "live"/functional? I see that it (or: *something*) is now available at Amazon. But will it get through an entire return more-or-less accurately today? If not now, when?

Thanks.
I purchased in late November last year and many forms and schedules were not available. I couldn't enter all my data for a preliminary run for several weeks.

This is last year's link for TurboTax form availability for the Windows version, but it looks like it has been updated for TTax 2022. https://care-cdn.prodsupportsite.a.intu ... idual.html

To check forms availability for TurboTax Online or TTax for Mac: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-suppor ... W_US_en_US

Even some of the most commonly used forms and schedules will not be finalized for quite a while:

The last couple of years I remember waiting until late February for either Form 2210 or Form 1116 (or maybe both).
Thanks so much for this; it's really helpful.

My interest is not so much that I want to file early, but that I want to migrate from my 2022 estimate done with TT21 to a 2022 estimate done with TT22 ... and then gradually finalize over time as I get final data and TT itself is finalized. I guess my question/concern is: would an estimated return done with TT22 today be any WORSE than an estimated return done with TT21 today?

I suppose that in any case, I could do the migration now and keep both estimates alive for a few weeks before ditching TT21. What do other folks think / do?
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

JohnDoh wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Thanks.

My interest is not so much that I want to file early, but that I want to migrate from my 2022 estimate done with TT21 to a 2022 estimate done with TT22 ... and then gradually finalize over time as I get final data and TT itself is finalized. I guess my question/concern is: would an estimated return done with TT22 today be any WORSE than an estimated return done with TT21 today?

I suppose that in any case, I could do the migration now and keep both estimates alive for a few weeks before ditching TT21. What do other folks think / do?
I always just try to be within the IRS and state withholding safe harbors and not worry about doing estimates until January.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

Bought my 2022 download today on Amazon with a $15.00 discount, plus my 5% Prime Visa rebate. $55.00 for Fed and State, Deluxe. Not too shabby. Funny that you can get better pricing on Amazon than from Turbotax itself, which is offering only a $10 discount at this time.

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Deluxe- ... deae8f9840
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

On 11/9 I did a Google search to look at HRBlock prices. While I typically wait until late Nov or early Dec, I was surprised to see Walmart offering a 2022 Deluxe download (Fed only) for $18.60. I jumped on it.

It must have been some kind of early Black Friday sale at Walmart, since others have recently posted Walmart prices about double what I paid.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Costco web site shows 2022 TurboTax deluxe fed+state at $55, but includes a $10 credit for "in program" expense like stated e-file. Haven't bought it, but just offering info.
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

Are there promotions/discounts for the online version of TT?
Sammyshanker

Post by Sammyshanker »

Newegg has H&R Block tax software 50 percent off today for those who are interested.

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=H%26r+block
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Weird. In previous years, we knew of the TurboTax deal for Black Friday around a week or so in advance. It's been all quiet this year. Crossing my fingers for another Deluxe Fed + State for $40 with a $10 gift card thrown in.
GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover »

BrandonBogle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:59 pm Weird. In previous years, we knew of the TurboTax deal for Black Friday around a week or so in advance. It's been all quiet this year. Crossing my fingers for another Deluxe Fed + State for $40 with a $10 gift card thrown in.
I'm hoping for that too as I have to model a number of alternatives and make corresponding decisions before the end of the year
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BrandonBogle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:59 pm Weird. In previous years, we knew of the TurboTax deal for Black Friday around a week or so in advance. It's been all quiet this year. Crossing my fingers for another Deluxe Fed + State for $40 with a $10 gift card thrown in.
I think the Amazon post Christmas deal has always been th best.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:56 pm
Idk. $30 for TurboTax Deluxe with one state has been one of the best offers for the past several years.
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

Most Bogleheads would use Premier? I tried TT last year to double check my TaxACT and I thought it was easier to use, so I’ll pay for it this year.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Would the first person to see the Amazon between Christmas and New Years deal, please start a new thread with a subject of something like "Today's the Day!" I'd even tolerate all caps. Otherwise, it is quite tedious to continually check all the posts in this thread during that week. Yes, I know there is a feature to "Subscribe" to a thread, but then you are overwhelmed with Notifications and emails.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

BrandonBogle wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:53 pm
anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:56 pm
Idk. $30 for TurboTax Deluxe with one state has been one of the best offers for the past several years.
That's the deal they always have between Christmas and New Years. I have taken advantage of thay deal the last few years running.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

JerryB wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:00 pm Most Bogleheads would use Premier?
TT Deluxe + State gives me everything I need: Just brokerage accounts with simple funds, no Investment properties or LPs.

I did some consulting in 2021 and had a bit of Schedule C income, Deluxe handled it.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

lakpr wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:42 pmTurbotax Deluxe version is $35.99 at the same link.
Caution: If you intend to do a state return, purchase “Deluxe + State”. It is much more expensive to purchase the “Deluxe” (above) and later do an in-app purchase of the state return. I know from experience :oops:
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
lakpr

Post by lakpr »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:35 pm I wouldn't order US tax software from a random UK website I have never heard of...
I anticipated such response; that is why I offered my experience with H&R Block software, as a reassurance. It worked for me as I expected it to. It even imported my 2021 tax return that I used TaxAct for last year. I really didn't see anything suspicious while I used the downloaded software

The site also claims genuine products and that it is a licensed vendor of Intuit products.

Not affiliated with this company, just thought the price as very attractive...
JohnDoh

Post by JohnDoh »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:20 pm
JohnDoh wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 7:15 pm

Thanks.

I always just try to be within the IRS and state withholding safe harbors and not worry about doing estimates until January.
So, here's one (possible) example of how estimating with TT21 rather than TT22 might make a difference:

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/ ... itc-tables

If I'm reading this correctly, the max AGI to qualify for EIC spiked (for a reason I am not aware of) in 2021:
SINGLE, NO CHILDREN
MAX AGI 2020: 15,820
MAX AGI 2021: 21,430
MAX AGI 2022: 16,480

Because I am angling for maximum ACA PTC, I fall squarely in the range between 15,820--21,430.

I am computing year-end Roth conversions using TT21 and it keeps telling me: "LOWER, LOWER!" because of EIC.

If I eliminate EIC, the increase in tax in pretty minimal for additional conversions of a few thousand dollars.

Now of course, I don't know if TT22 is already updated with 2022 limits, but I'd hope it is given that these numbers are long published. Even if the forms themselves are not finalized for filing.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks. And Happy Thanksgiving to all.
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

Is this it?? Amazon Black Friday TT Fed + State $45.99

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Deluxe- ... r=1-1&th=1

TurboTax Deluxe 2022 Tax Software, Federal and State Tax Return, [Amazon Exclusive] [PC/MAC Download]
List Price: $69.99 Details (with a line crossing out the 69.99 price)
With Deal: $45.99
You Save: $24.00 (34%)
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

GrowthSeeker wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:08 am Is this it?? Amazon Black Friday TT Fed + State $45.99

https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Deluxe- ... r=1-1&th=1

TurboTax Deluxe 2022 Tax Software, Federal and State Tax Return, [Amazon Exclusive] [PC/MAC Download]
List Price: $69.99 Details (with a line crossing out the 69.99 price)
With Deal: $45.99
You Save: $24.00 (34%)
Unless they are holding firm with a new inflated price, no.

The last few years the best deal on AMZN is $29.99 the day or few after Christmas. I just reviewed my orders.

I seem to recall last year there was a Black Friday deal similar to this ($46) but it wasn't the best they had to offer which came after Christmas.
jcpct

Post by jcpct »

Last year on November 26th I bought the Premier Federal ad state version for $63.77. This year the reduced(Black Friday) price for the same is $72.99. I'm not sure if the price will be reduced further but this year I'm going to wait and see.
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

What does TT charge for state efile if not included?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

JerryB wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:37 am What does TT charge for state efile if not included?
Early in the tax season, they charged $20 for state efiling. The fee went up to $25 in mid-March.
JerryB

Post by JerryB »

Is online TT online the same cost as download?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

enad

Post by enad »

Amazon has TurboTax 2022 State/Federal (download or disc) on sale today for $45.99
FishTaco

Post by FishTaco »

Bought TT Deluxe Federal only for 37.99 off amazon. Last year, purchased same off Amazon on Nov 26. Can return btwn now and Jan 31 if a lower price comes up.

Edit: Last year's price was 29.99.
Last edited by FishTaco on Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Capricorn212

Post by Capricorn212 »

TT Deluxe, Fed plus State, $46 today on Amazon.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

David Jay wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:23 pm
TT Deluxe + State gives me everything I need: Just brokerage accounts with simple funds, no Investment properties or LPs.

I did some consulting in 2021 and had a bit of Schedule C income, Deluxe handled it.
+1

I used to buy TT Premier until I read David Jay’s TT posts. If you have investments, business income or real estate transactions, TT Deluxe [edit - I use CD version] will handle it just fine. However, the TT Deluxe software will give you a marketing “upsell” when using the software to a more expensive TT program that is worded in a way to make you think TT Deluxe can’t handle it (when it will).
Last edited by HomeStretch on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enad

Post by enad »

TurboTax Premier is $72.99 on Amazon today
TurboTax Home and Business is $85.99 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BH5P7142/
deanmoriarty

Post by deanmoriarty »

HomeStretch wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:42 am

+1

I used to buy TT Premier until I read David Jay’s TT posts. If you have investments, business income or real estate transactions, TT Deluxe will handle it just fine. However, the TT Deluxe software will give you a marketing “upsell” when using the software to a more expensive TT program that is worded in a way to make you think TT Deluxe can’t handle it (when it will).
Could you clarify what exactly is the difference, then, between Deluxe and Premier? When you say "Deluxe will handle it just fine", does it mean that it will support adding investment data to the forms, or the full "wizard" experience of Premier? There must be a difference...
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

enad wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:44 am TurboTax Premier is $72.99 on Amazon today
TurboTax Home and Business is $85.99 on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BH5P7142/
Same price for TT premiere at Costco. My wife says Costco will refund you the price difference in the first 30 days if the price drops.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

deanmoriarty wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:12 am

+1

I used to buy TT Premier until I read David Jay’s TT posts. If you have investments, business income or real estate transactions, TT Deluxe [edit - I use CD version] will handle it just fine. However, the TT Deluxe software will give you a marketing “upsell” when using the software to a more expensive TT program that is worded in a way to make you think TT Deluxe can’t handle it (when it will).
Could you clarify what exactly is the difference, then, between Deluxe and Premier? When you say "Deluxe will handle it just fine", does it mean that it will support adding investment data to the forms, or the full "wizard" experience of Premier? There must be a difference...
I found Premier (for investments) and Home & Business (for self-employment income) [edit - CD versions] had more tax info entry guidance via the interview process (I think this is what you are calling the “wizard” experience). But once I understood the TT flow on how to enter that information, I found I could easily enter such information without the extended interview process.

I found it disingenuous that TT’s in-software upsell wording was done in such a way as to make me doubt that Deluxe would handle those transactions at all when it did just fine. So I try to point that out for anyone else contemplating using Deluxe v. the higher-priced Premier/Home & Business [edit - all CD versions].

Edit - I had no issue using Deluxe to account for RSUs, Options and ESPP. However, as I administered these programs for the company I worked for, I have a very good understanding of the proper taxation. If Premier is more helpful in these areas as noted by other posters, I can understand using Premier.
Last edited by HomeStretch on Sat Nov 26, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
squirrel1963

Post by squirrel1963 »

+1

I used to buy TT Premier until I read David Jay’s TT posts. If you have investments, business income or real estate transactions, TT Deluxe will handle it just fine. However, the TT Deluxe software will give you a marketing “upsell” when using the software to a more expensive TT program that is worded in a way to make you think TT Deluxe can’t handle it (when it will).
Allegedly TTax premiere has "additional help" for filling up 1099 forms and also better support for handling RSU, and the latter is the reason why I've always bought the premiere edition. I actually wonder if it is really needed for filling up RSU information, given that I've always needed to do manual adjustments. As far as the help portion, I just don't care, I never go thru the guided process, I always skip to the sections I know I need.
LMP | Liability Matching Portfolio | safe portfolio: TIPS ladder + I-bonds + Treasuries | risky portfolio: US stocks / US REIT / International stocks
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I found the wizard definitely helped for RSU and especially ESPP. There were definite differences and A LOT of "help." When I retired, I dropped back to Deluxe, didn't need it anymore. Deluxe also handles most situations for 1099s. The help for Premier may ask some questions about the corner cases, like selling treasury bonds at premium and stuff like that.
Last edited by Tubes on Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

FishTaco wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:32 am Bought TT Deluxe Federal only for 37.99 off amazon. Last year, purchased same off Amazon on Nov 26. Can return btwn now and Jan 31 if a lower price comes up.
I did something similar, buying the $46 Disc version of Deluxe Fed + State. I can return it if a better deal comes up.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

squirrel1963 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 am
enad wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:44 am TurboTax Premier is $72.99 on Amazon today
Same price for TT premiere at Costco. My wife says Costco will refund you the price difference in the first 30 days if the price drops.
Costco also includes a $10 credit you can apply towards state e-file charges, another state product or audit defense:

Details here: https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-suppor ... c_US_en_US
GrowthSeeker

Post by GrowthSeeker »

+1

My understanding is (but I don't know this for a fact): Premier has more questionnaire questions and/or situations. So there may be some tax situations where you can still get it done with Deluxe but you might have to dive into the Forms a bit, whereas with Premier there would presumably be a questionnaire page for that tax situation. I got suckered to buy Premier my first year with TT, and have always used Deluxe after that.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you.
LK2012

Post by LK2012 »

Last year I bought TT Deluxe Federal + State (Software Download) on 12/29/2021 on Amazon for $39.99 with the $10 Amazon gift card, for a total of $31.97. That's the deal I'll look for this year.

I've always done my returns on paper, but since 2019 Federal 1040 took forever to process, I went to e-file for my 2020 Federal taxes and used Federal Freefile Fillable Forms.

For 2021, I wanted to try TT to see how it handled tax-exempt interest and some other things. It was my first time using TT, and altogether it was a smooth experience. Once I had everything set up in TT, it was easier to just e-file through that, even though I also did mock-ups on paper and on Federal Freefile Fillable.

I figured I would just use it for my State return too, since I was already there.

However, I was very surprised to find a $25 fee to e-file the 2021 State return. I thought that was included. I paid it, but I felt kind of ripped off. I certainly could have printed out the return and mailed it, but it was late at night, and everything was set to go, so I decided to just do it.

But it felt misleading to buy something that said, "+ State" but ... really, now pay us more. Since I already do a paper return as part of my preparation, for me there's not much point in buying the State portion of the software if they're just going to ALSO tack on another fee to actually file it.