Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Starbase
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:25 pm

Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Starbase »

I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
User avatar
anon_investor
Posts: 13138
Joined: Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by anon_investor »

Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
Budget? Desired SUV size?
Normchad
Posts: 4409
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Normchad »

The Subarus are supposed to be very good. I usually get a Kia/Hyundai when I rent a car, and I like the tech in them.
stan1
Posts: 11461
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by stan1 »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:10 pm
Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
Budget? Desired SUV size?
Gas, hybrid, EV?
RJC
Posts: 1277
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by RJC »

The BMW X5 45e plug-in hybrid has it all including a sunroof.
Makefile
Posts: 2048
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:03 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Makefile »

From what I've read about the state of the car market it's harder to find a car without such tech than with it. With the chip shortages, etc., automakers focused on making premium models.
SevenBridgesRoad
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

Very happy with our 2020 Acura RDX with Advance tech package. We bought new. All the safety tech. Love the head-up display. Until we moved last year, lived in a hard winter location. Handled snow and mountain passes easily (snow tires). Liked our Outback, but the RDX is more comfortable. (Also, some tech issues with the Outback. Had to replace the head/nav unit in essentially a new car.) The RDX is the only SUV we found to have the same passenger seat adjustments as the driver. Wife is comfortable and happy in passenger seat, even on long road trips. Zero maintenance issues. And don’t fall for the Acura premium fuel myth. We use regular unleaded with no issues. Absolutely has no effect on warranty.
FoolStreet
Posts: 1441
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by FoolStreet »

A lot of people complain about the cost of gas, so if you have the chance to buy a new card, then buy a car with a plug in it. Right now, the Teslas are really good. If a sunroof is more important than other factors, then you can't go wrong with a VW ID.40 or a Kia ev, RAV4 plug-in hybrid or Rav4Prime. Just get a plug...
NotSoDaring
Posts: 44
Joined: Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:54 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by NotSoDaring »

If a Tesla would be on the list if they had sunroofs, then what about a Porsche Macan S? Lots of features, panoramic sunroof, surround view (which I love), and so much more. The EV Macan is supposedly coming out soon, if you want an EV.
Topic Author
Starbase
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:25 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Starbase »

anon_investor wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:10 pm
Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
Budget? Desired SUV size?
Open to all price points now. 5 seat SUV, don’t need a 7 seater
User avatar
Watty
Posts: 26130
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Watty »

Be sure to add headlights of the lists of safety features to look for.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/headlights

I have a 2021 Forester Limited that has noticeably better headlights than any other car I have driven.

When you look at the top safety picks some of them only get the top rating with certain headlights and the better headlights may on be on the higher trim levels of the car.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks

A high trim level Forester would be worth considering for safety and mine has a moonroof. The Subaru Infotainment system often gets mediocre marks in reviews since it is not as good as some other brands so be sure to research the tech side to see if a Subaru would be good enough for you.

The safety features will often depend on the trim level and a pretty much any high trim level SUV will likely have most of what you want.
quantAndHold
Posts: 7934
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by quantAndHold »

A neighbor just got one of the new Volvo EV’s. No idea if it can be had with a sunroof, but it’s gorgeous. I’m not usually a Volvo person, but we’re thinking about ordering one ourselves.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Shallowpockets
Posts: 2509
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Shallowpockets »

I have a Forester. It has sunroof that opens. I rarely use it. I don’t even open the sunroof cover to let in more sun. It makes the interior too bright. That is that on sun roof use. So as a major criteria for buying a car, I would put sun roof way down the list.
stoptothink
Posts: 12516
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:53 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by stoptothink »

Normchad wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:12 pm The Subarus are supposed to be very good. I usually get a Kia/Hyundai when I rent a car, and I like the tech in them.
My brother has a late-model Outback (I think '22) and has had an endless string of issues with the infotainment system. Apparently this is pretty common.
smitcat
Posts: 9913
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by smitcat »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:35 pm Very happy with our 2020 Acura RDX with Advance tech package. We bought new. All the safety tech. Love the head-up display. Until we moved last year, lived in a hard winter location. Handled snow and mountain passes easily (snow tires). Liked our Outback, but the RDX is more comfortable. (Also, some tech issues with the Outback. Had to replace the head/nav unit in essentially a new car.) The RDX is the only SUV we found to have the same passenger seat adjustments as the driver. Wife is comfortable and happy in passenger seat, even on long road trips. Zero maintenance issues. And don’t fall for the Acura premium fuel myth. We use regular unleaded with no issues. Absolutely has no effect on warranty.
"We use regular unleaded with no issues."
Except for lower engine performance, lower mileage, and shorter engine life.
catdoctor
Posts: 74
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:30 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by catdoctor »

Shallowpockets wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:14 am I have a Forester. It has sunroof that opens. I rarely use it. I don’t even open the sunroof cover to let in more sun. It makes the interior too bright. That is that on sun roof use. So as a major criteria for buying a car, I would put sun roof way down the list.
+1
bob60014
Posts: 2669
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by bob60014 »

If you can find one, a Toyota Prime XSE. If unavailable, though these are hard to get too, a Rav 4 Hybrid Limited w/full options package. Nice readable info screen and they've upgraded the Safety Sense system for better pedestrian detection. A minor minus, I'm not a fan of their mapping so I use Android Auto/Waze. Other than that mine has been flawless for 2 years.
H-Town
Posts: 4774
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by H-Town »

Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
why not the Mazda again?
Time is the ultimate currency.
Ron
Posts: 6966
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Ron »

Makefile wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:35 pm From what I've read about the state of the car market it's harder to find a car without such tech than with it. With the chip shortages, etc., automakers focused on making premium models.
Unless you custom order it. My son just picked up his '23 Subaru Impreza two weeks ago after placing his order back in mid-September. The only option from the base model he ordered was the available floor mat upgrade.

He wanted basic transportation, and that's exactly what he got.

- Ron
Last edited by Ron on Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wannaretireearly
Posts: 3024
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Wannaretireearly »

I would buy my 2020 Hyundai Pallisade again.

I need to be in the market again soon, so really need to nail down a car to order next year. Following closely :)
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
Wannaretireearly
Posts: 3024
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:39 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Wannaretireearly wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:19 am I would buy my 2020 Hyundai Pallisade again.

I need to be in the market again soon, so really need to nail down a car to order next year. Following closely :)
OP how about the ioniq 5? Check that out. Great reviews, electric and for 5 people. I think that is on my short list now
Death and taxes. Only one is under your control!
Normchad
Posts: 4409
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:20 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Normchad »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:22 am
Normchad wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:12 pm The Subarus are supposed to be very good. I usually get a Kia/Hyundai when I rent a car, and I like the tech in them.
My brother has a late-model Outback (I think '22) and has had an endless string of issues with the infotainment system. Apparently this is pretty common.
Ouch! That would be awful. Definitely be worth further investigating if seriously considering a Subaru.
quantAndHold
Posts: 7934
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by quantAndHold »

H-Town wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 9:12 am
Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
why not the Mazda again?
If we’re talking electric, Mazda is way behind the curve. For gas engines, it would be hard to beat another Mazda.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 15834
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by White Coat Investor »

Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
Ford's new Super Duty trucks have all that. Probalby not what you're looking for though. Plus they're about impossible to buy new.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
User avatar
Doom&Gloom
Posts: 4834
Joined: Thu May 08, 2014 3:36 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Doom&Gloom »

DW has a 2020 Hyundai Santa Fe that we really like. More tech features than I use, but some that I like a lot. The birds-eye view cameras are pretty nifty.
neilpilot
Posts: 4430
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by neilpilot »

FoolStreet wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:08 pm A lot of people complain about the cost of gas, so if you have the chance to buy a new card, then buy a car with a plug in it. Right now, the Teslas are really good. If a sunroof is more important than other factors, then you can't go wrong with a VW ID.40 or a Kia ev, RAV4 plug-in hybrid or Rav4Prime. Just get a plug...
I love my ID.4. The ID.4's sunroof is a panoramic fixed glass pane that doesn't open, which I prefer. When I owned previous cars with a sunroof, I found I never actually opened the roof.

But maybe this isn't what the OP wants. In their opening thread they state that they're looking for a sunroof that opens.
SevenBridgesRoad
Posts: 824
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

smitcat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:34 am
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:35 pm Very happy with our 2020 Acura RDX with Advance tech package. We bought new. All the safety tech. Love the head-up display. Until we moved last year, lived in a hard winter location. Handled snow and mountain passes easily (snow tires). Liked our Outback, but the RDX is more comfortable. (Also, some tech issues with the Outback. Had to replace the head/nav unit in essentially a new car.) The RDX is the only SUV we found to have the same passenger seat adjustments as the driver. Wife is comfortable and happy in passenger seat, even on long road trips. Zero maintenance issues. And don’t fall for the Acura premium fuel myth. We use regular unleaded with no issues. Absolutely has no effect on warranty.
"We use regular unleaded with no issues."
Except for lower engine performance, lower mileage, and shorter engine life.
Debatable. And, my oh my, have Bogleheads debated this over the years. Multiple threads, easy to search for and read.

So I don't sidetrack this thread, I'll say I should have used a more neutral statement. My revised statement: "When mentioning Acura or other 'near-luxury' cars, sometimes the topic of premium fuel comes up. The manual recommends premium gas. The topic of using regular gas instead of premium has been debated in multiple threads and multiple websites. After review, I decided on regular gas. Others decided premium was best."
notBobToo
Posts: 161
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:07 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by notBobToo »

Well, for tech and safety you probably couldn't do better than an Audi Q5. But bogleheads hate anything German so there is that.

Edit to add: Speaking of Acura, I'm always ready to get rid of my 2020 RDX Advanced. Went through all of the front end shudder, squealing brake problems in the first year. (After several rounds of replacing pads, rotors, and other front end stuff, it finally settled down.) Has to have the most uncomfortable driver's seat I've ever encountered. My 2+ hour drives (do that a lot) are just miserable. But the tech is great, especially as mentioned above, the heads up display.
FoolStreet
Posts: 1441
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by FoolStreet »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:56 am
FoolStreet wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:08 pm A lot of people complain about the cost of gas, so if you have the chance to buy a new card, then buy a car with a plug in it. Right now, the Teslas are really good. If a sunroof is more important than other factors, then you can't go wrong with a VW ID.40 or a Kia ev, RAV4 plug-in hybrid or Rav4Prime. Just get a plug...
I love my ID.4. The ID.4's sunroof is a panoramic fixed glass pane that doesn't open, which I prefer. When I owned previous cars with a sunroof, I found I never actually opened the roof.

But maybe this isn't what the OP wants. In their opening thread they state that they're looking for a sunroof that opens.
At $5 bucks a gallon, that can be an expensive sunroof. But why not both? I've heard great things about the plug-in Rav4 and Rav4 electric. Volvo 40 is electric. I think there is an Audi electric. Not sure where Acura is with electrics, but probably not too far away.

Neilpilot, your avatar says you are in/near Memphis. How has your experience with charging been? I'm assuming there is a lot out there based on this map https://www.plugshare.com/directory/us/ ... ee/memphis
neilpilot
Posts: 4430
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by neilpilot »

FoolStreet wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:15 pm
At $5 bucks a gallon, that can be an expensive sunroof. But why not both? I've heard great things about the plug-in Rav4 and Rav4 electric. Volvo 40 is electric. I think there is an Audi electric. Not sure where Acura is with electrics, but probably not too far away.

Neilpilot, your avatar says you are in/near Memphis. How has your experience with charging been? I'm assuming there is a lot out there based on this map https://www.plugshare.com/directory/us/ ... ee/memphis
Have owned the ID.4 for 17 months & 10k miles, and it came with 3 years free charging at Electrify America. Have only taken it on 2 drives that required out-of-town charging. We've used our ICE for the other distant drives, since they've started out driving thru mid-MS where L3s are scarce.

PlugShare shows many Memphis area charge locations; all but a handful are L2 chargers. I rarely use free L2s while out; only if I happen to be going there for another reason. It's hardly worth the trouble driving to charge at an L2, since it's relatively cheap & easy to charge at home. When driving around Memphis I typically only need to charge overnight once every 6-10 days.

Of the handful of L3s PlugShare maps, one is the EA location that's 10 miles from home. The other L3s are auto dealers and 2 Teslas.
Topic Author
Starbase
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:25 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Starbase »

neilpilot wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:56 am
FoolStreet wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:08 pm A lot of people complain about the cost of gas, so if you have the chance to buy a new card, then buy a car with a plug in it. Right now, the Teslas are really good. If a sunroof is more important than other factors, then you can't go wrong with a VW ID.40 or a Kia ev, RAV4 plug-in hybrid or Rav4Prime. Just get a plug...
I love my ID.4. The ID.4's sunroof is a panoramic fixed glass pane that doesn't open, which I prefer. When I owned previous cars with a sunroof, I found I never actually opened the roof.

But maybe this isn't what the OP wants. In their opening thread they state that they're looking for a sunroof that opens.
Yes I live in California where it’s 75 all year round and I love opening the sunroof. Even when I would rent cars in Denver or Seattle in the summers I would open the sunroof.
Tesla Y is 80k and the fact that the sunroof wouldn’t open was very puzzling to me.
smitcat
Posts: 9913
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by smitcat »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:38 pm
smitcat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:34 am
SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 10:35 pm Very happy with our 2020 Acura RDX with Advance tech package. We bought new. All the safety tech. Love the head-up display. Until we moved last year, lived in a hard winter location. Handled snow and mountain passes easily (snow tires). Liked our Outback, but the RDX is more comfortable. (Also, some tech issues with the Outback. Had to replace the head/nav unit in essentially a new car.) The RDX is the only SUV we found to have the same passenger seat adjustments as the driver. Wife is comfortable and happy in passenger seat, even on long road trips. Zero maintenance issues. And don’t fall for the Acura premium fuel myth. We use regular unleaded with no issues. Absolutely has no effect on warranty.
"We use regular unleaded with no issues."
Except for lower engine performance, lower mileage, and shorter engine life.
Debatable. And, my oh my, have Bogleheads debated this over the years. Multiple threads, easy to search for and read.

So I don't sidetrack this thread, I'll say I should have used a more neutral statement. My revised statement: "When mentioning Acura or other 'near-luxury' cars, sometimes the topic of premium fuel comes up. The manual recommends premium gas. The topic of using regular gas instead of premium has been debated in multiple threads and multiple websites. After review, I decided on regular gas. Others decided premium was best."
That engine was designed for premium fuel - it's not a matter of lumping many cars or engines into one category.
delamer
Posts: 15137
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by delamer »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:21 am A neighbor just got one of the new Volvo EV’s. No idea if it can be had with a sunroof, but it’s gorgeous. I’m not usually a Volvo person, but we’re thinking about ordering one ourselves.
We got our Ultimate trim XC40 Recharge about 6 weeks ago. It has a big sunroof.

It has a 360 degree camera which I like very much. Also has voice-based Google Assist (you do not need a Google account to use it).

It has all the tech that the OP mentioned. It doesn’t have a heads-up display though, which I think I’d like.

I’d guess the ICE version is similarly equipped.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
JackoC
Posts: 3903
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by JackoC »

NotSoDaring wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:19 pm If a Tesla would be on the list if they had sunroofs, then what about a Porsche Macan S? Lots of features, panoramic sunroof, surround view (which I love), and so much more. The EV Macan is supposedly coming out soon, if you want an EV.
I have a 2022 Macan S which I quite like so far. But I would readily accept that a lot of people, or most, wouldn't see enough value in the extra you get over 'regular' brands vs. the cost. On safety bells/whistles side you'll often find ones in dealer stock don't have all that stuff which is optional on Porsches though standard on mass market brands. I ordered mine so it has everything of that kind Porsche offers, blind spot, adaptive cruise control with emergency braking, lane keeping, surround view etc but it's basically similar functionality to my daughter's Honda CR-V. And the infotainment/phone compatibility stuff is also not superior to regular cars. The vehicle distinguishes itself more in fit/finish, quiet and ride (with optional air suspension) and it's pretty fast. But its key strength is handling, it's quite something for an SUV (especially with the optional torque vectoring system). That's significant to me because main use for our nicer car is long road trips. The Macan is only marginally less fun on curvy roads than the BMW M2 it replaced, with a lot more room for stuff plus more livable in ride and noise when tired at the end of the day and/or segments on interstates or in traffic.
Last edited by JackoC on Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theplayer11
Posts: 1867
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by theplayer11 »

Mazda Cx-5, perfect blend pf affordability, quality, reliability and fun factor(with turbo)
Spring garden
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:55 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Spring garden »

I think the tech in the outback is excellent. We have two and my comparison is 2 weeks and 2k miles with a '21 Mercedes GLS 450. The bluetooth connection to Mercedes was faster to connect initially and the lane keep feature in Mercedes was better, but the Mercedes would drop the speed automatically with changes in a rapid stepwise fashion eg from 58 in a 55 mph zone that turns into a 45 would slow down automatically and rapidly to 45 and I found this jarring. The automatic emergency breaking triggered a couple times for I think bugs, which has never happened in multiple years with the outbacks.
I like the combination of hard buttons and screen with outback, its excellent.
I understand wanting a moonroof. Driving across the Wyoming desert at night with patchy distant lightening and milky way on full display otherwise while the Mercedes basically drove itself along the flats was one of the most enjoyable drives in my life.
z0r
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:50 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by z0r »

smitcat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:51 pmThat engine was designed for premium fuel - it's not a matter of lumping many cars or engines into one category.
it was designed with sophisticated anti knock sensors and software. some brands better than others. but it isn't the old days where it has a certain compression ratio and timing, made for premium, and it's open loop from there. the ecu can adjust multiple times a second to a range of fuels
cmr79
Posts: 280
Joined: Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by cmr79 »

Spring garden wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:35 pm I think the tech in the outback is excellent. We have two and my comparison is 2 weeks and 2k miles with a '21 Mercedes GLS 450. The bluetooth connection to Mercedes was faster to connect initially and the lane keep feature in Mercedes was better, but the Mercedes would drop the speed automatically with changes in a rapid stepwise fashion eg from 58 in a 55 mph zone that turns into a 45 would slow down automatically and rapidly to 45 and I found this jarring. The automatic emergency breaking triggered a couple times for I think bugs, which has never happened in multiple years with the outbacks.
I like the combination of hard buttons and screen with outback, its excellent.
I understand wanting a moonroof. Driving across the Wyoming desert at night with patchy distant lightening and milky way on full display otherwise while the Mercedes basically drove itself along the flats was one of the most enjoyable drives in my life.
We've had phantom braking with our Subaru Forester, but despite others having major issues with this on the Eyesight system, it's only happened a very few times over a decade of use--typically when there is bright sunlight coming through trees. Similar to Tesla's issues, this is probably a common feature of purely camera-based systems.
vested1
Posts: 3020
Joined: Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by vested1 »

Another vote for the Hyundai Santa Fe. We have the 2019 ultimate version, The bird's eye cameras are amazing for parking in tight spaces, and when parked where you have to back out, the alarm system sees around corners to audibly warn you when someone you can't see speeds up to block you from backing out into the lane of a parking lot. The smart cruise control is also a good feature which automatically maintains the correct distance from the car ahead and will slow you down if you get too close.

I turned off a couple of the features, such as the lane assist that takes over the steering if your car decides you shouldn't cross a white line. The audible alarm and heads up display is still there for blind spots, but there are times when you need to change lanes for safety reasons, and in those rare cases I prefer to be in control. The other feature we turned off was the engine shut off at a red light.

The sun roof can be solid or glass at any time, so you don't have to fry if it's sunny, as well as being fully open to the air when desired. The sunroof is also the largest of any we've seen.
smitcat
Posts: 9913
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:51 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by smitcat »

z0r wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:05 pm
smitcat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:51 pmThat engine was designed for premium fuel - it's not a matter of lumping many cars or engines into one category.
it was designed with sophisticated anti knock sensors and software. some brands better than others. but it isn't the old days where it has a certain compression ratio and timing, made for premium, and it's open loop from there. the ecu can adjust multiple times a second to a range of fuels
Well aware of how anti knock sensors work - please provide some links on how this engine performs and reacts to lower octane fuel.
neilpilot
Posts: 4430
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by neilpilot »

smitcat wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:34 am
z0r wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:05 pm
smitcat wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:51 pmThat engine was designed for premium fuel - it's not a matter of lumping many cars or engines into one category.
it was designed with sophisticated anti knock sensors and software. some brands better than others. but it isn't the old days where it has a certain compression ratio and timing, made for premium, and it's open loop from there. the ecu can adjust multiple times a second to a range of fuels
Well aware of how anti knock sensors work - please provide some links on how this engine performs and reacts to lower octane fuel.
Can't speak for z0r, but my DW's GLC300 also specifies premium fuel. After reading from other owners, for several years we've switched to mid-grade in the late fall and back to premium in mid-spring. UNLESS we take it on a winter trip involving a long drive, in which case we switch back to premium temporarily.

So long as the weather is relatively cool and the majority of the driving is not high speed, the GLC300 performs very well on mid-grade.
dsmclone
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by dsmclone »

It puzzles me when people decide that it's a smart choice to go against what the manufacture says is "required". Not recommended, "required". Oh I just paid $70k for a car but I'm going to cheap out because I heard on the internet that everything will be fine. I wonder if these same people would be cool with using E85 in that same car? How about E15?
sureshoe
Posts: 1863
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by sureshoe »

Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
I would say say everything you listed here is all "about the same" for the last several years. In the 2017 Pilot we got, it has all that.

Honestly, the most important feature I have that I didn't know I couldn't live without is a Heated Steering Wheel, everything else is "meh".
dsmclone
Posts: 569
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:50 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by dsmclone »

You're not going to get the best of everything because they all have different things and different ways to do it.

I've heard great things about Super Cruise, which is becoming available in a lot more GM vehicles.

I would want an all touch screen digital dash that is an all in one. Mercedes was one of the first that I've seen with this but a lot more companies have brought it on.

I would want something with wireless Android Auto/Apple Carplay. With this, I wouldn't worry about built in Navigation, which is usually junk and outdated.

Emergency Breaking is a must. I believe all cars have rear cameras now but not all are created equal. I would also want lane departure.

Some nice to have's but not 100% necessary. Some manufactures are rolling out OK Google type technology. So you can say "OK Mercedes, change the temperature to 74 and turn on my seat heaters". Remote start is nice in some environments. Self Parking. Heads up Display. Auto high beam (I hate it), Front and rear collision warning, Adaptive cruise.

The good/bad thing about these technology's is that they are not create equal. I had adaptive cruise about 10 years ago and it was really bad so I just turned it off. With my latest car, it's pretty decent if you use it in the most aggressive mode but is very dependent on the type of driving.
JackoC
Posts: 3903
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:14 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by JackoC »

dsmclone wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 11:42 am It puzzles me when people decide that it's a smart choice to go against what the manufacture says is "required". Not recommended, "required". Oh I just paid $70k for a car but I'm going to cheap out because I heard on the internet that everything will be fine. I wonder if these same people would be cool with using E85 in that same car? How about E15?
I wouldn't go below a manufacturer's required min octane, but often manufacturers suggest higher octane but allow regular or mid. I was checking out the Mazda CX-9 to buy used (now leaning toward Acura MDX) to replace our 18 yr old Lexus GX as second car, and in that case there's not even the usual mystery/'discussion on the internet' what the horsepower impact is, Mazda gives different hp ratings for regular and premium. In that case I believe it's just speculation to say there's an engine life implication. There could be a mileage implication. Our 2005 Lexus GX we've had since new is 87 min, 91 recommended, and semi-scientifically (accurate gallons and miles, you can never 100% control for conditions) it does get a little higher mpg on premium based on a few road trips where I experimented. We've split the difference and used 89 the great majority of miles. We don't drive the car hard enough to notice a hp difference (I've read non-authoritatively it's order of 5-10 hp per 2 octane).

IOW also depends how you use the car, which I agree can coincide with your point about spending a lot on the car in the first place. I wouldn't put other than premium in my Macan S even though the '22 'S' has a lower min octane (at the 'GTS' rating with the same engine it's premium min). One reason I find the car worth the money is performance (though more so cornering performance which has nothing to do with octane) and I'll actually use full throttle fairly often in two lane road passing on road trips. I've very rarely two lane passed in the Lexus, and I seldom find it necessary to go full throttle in other cases.
Topic Author
Starbase
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:25 pm

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by Starbase »

sureshoe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:38 pm
Starbase wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:07 pm I had a 2019 Mazda SUV and was impressed with their radar/camera features (adaptive cruise control, blind spot detection, etc)
That SUV is now totaled and I’m looking for a new car.
Has anyone bought a car in 2020-2022 that they are very impressed with in terms of safety and tech features?
The reason why I put no Tesla is that I need a sunroof and they don’t have one that opens which is a deal breaker for me.
I would say say everything you listed here is all "about the same" for the last several years. In the 2017 Pilot we got, it has all that.

Honestly, the most important feature I have that I didn't know I couldn't live without is a Heated Steering Wheel, everything else is "meh".
I live in California so heated steering wheel is not necessary.
But what I can’t live without is adaptive cruise control. Stop and go traffic is not an issue now at all.
MH2
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:46 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by MH2 »

sureshoe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:38 pm I would say say everything you listed here is all "about the same" for the last several years. In the 2017 Pilot we got, it has all that.

Honestly, the most important feature I have that I didn't know I couldn't live without is a Heated Steering Wheel, everything else is "meh".
Going to echo this. Our second car, a 2018 Suzuki, has everything you would want aside from a 360-degree camera (which it doesn't need, but you would want in an SUV). The infotainment system is worlds better than our GLA thanks to Apple Car Play.

Safety and general convenience technology should come standard in most cars at most/all price points. The quality of some of the newer tech, such as automated lane assist, will be different, but that's about it.

Oddly enough, the only cars that don't come with many standard safety features are luxury models. There are plenty of newer A4/A6's estates on the market without rear backup cameras :shock:.
neilpilot
Posts: 4430
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by neilpilot »

MH2 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 5:30 am
sureshoe wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:38 pm I would say say everything you listed here is all "about the same" for the last several years. In the 2017 Pilot we got, it has all that.

Honestly, the most important feature I have that I didn't know I couldn't live without is a Heated Steering Wheel, everything else is "meh".
Going to echo this. Our second car, a 2018 Suzuki, has everything you would want aside from a 360-degree camera (which it doesn't need, but you would want in an SUV). The infotainment system is worlds better than our GLA thanks to Apple Car Play.

Safety and general convenience technology should come standard in most cars at most/all price points. The quality of some of the newer tech, such as automated lane assist, will be different, but that's about it.

Oddly enough, the only cars that don't come with many standard safety features are luxury models. There are plenty of newer A4/A6's estates on the market without rear backup cameras :shock:.
Are you in the USA? How new do you define “newer A4/A6 estates” ?

The NTSB has required all automobiles sold in the United States built beginning in May 2018 to include backup cameras. Is this not the case?
MH2
Posts: 70
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:46 am

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by MH2 »

neilpilot wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:59 am Are you in the USA? How new do you define “newer A4/A6 estates” ?
Obviously not. Suzuki pulled out of the states a decade ago.

But yes, VAG will gladly sell a 70K+ estate with cloth seats and no backup camera.
neilpilot
Posts: 4430
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Car with tech bells and whistles that’s not a Tesla

Post by neilpilot »

MH2 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:12 am
neilpilot wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:59 am Are you in the USA? How new do you define “newer A4/A6 estates” ?
Obviously not. Suzuki pulled out of the states a decade ago.

But yes, VAG will gladly sell a 70K+ estate with cloth seats and no backup camera.
You posts can easily be misleading, when read by the majority of Bogelheads in the US.

BTW - a friend here in the US just bought a new GSX-R1000, which is a Suzuki without a backup camera.
Post Reply