best repurposing of a soon-to-be-unused bedroom?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
brian91480

Re: best repurposing of a soon-to-be-unused bedroom?

Post by brian91480 »

I'm a self supporting person who first moved out at age 17. Despite that... a few years later, it took me about 1 month to find a job post college graduation. So I moved back home for a few months and saved money for my first home purchase down payment.

I had other options of places to crash if needed, but it was nice to have an easy place to go back to.

Just something for the OP to keep in mind.

--- Brian
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (bedroom).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

humblecoder wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:43 pm My parents made some of you BH's look like spendthrifts, as they refused to pay for TV.

All of this is hilarious, humblecoder, thanks for sharing! I came home from college one afternoon, to find the family cat and all of it's supplies missing. And it wasn't missing due to old age. :shock: I can't imagine realizing your entire house is for sale!

As far OP's plans, I'd vote on either a combo office/guestroom suite or a spruced up guest room. (Or, do nothing, the ultimate boglehead way.) I'd say no on a workout room, as you'll likely get bored of it quickly.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

Not all colleges toss the students out during breaks (vs. summer.) Mine didn't. Perhaps having a lot of international students affects this.
mainiac

Post by mainiac »

We moved into a new house when our older child was a first year high school student. One bedroom was much larger than the other. The deal was that the older kid got the big bedroom for 4 years, then the kids would switch when the older kid went off to college. The kids switched, the older kid had a room to use during college breaks. Kid #2 went off to college. Kid #1 moved back home after college and lived at home for 3 years (at no charge in the little room, reluctantly!), paid off all the college loans and saved a year's worth of rent payments. Moved out and is doing very well. Kid #2 came home after the dorms closed early due to Covid and moved out 4 months later. Also doing well, but left a fair amount of stuff behind...

We now have two empty rooms that are used when the kids come home every few months. :D
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

ClevrChico wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:25 pm All of this is hilarious, humblecoder, thanks for sharing! I came home from college one afternoon, to find the family cat and all of it's supplies missing. And it wasn't missing due to old age. :shock: I can't imagine realizing your entire house is for sale!
Tell me they found it a new home...
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

Beyond what others have said, i really doubt 11x11 is big enough for a media room or for a home gym.
I don't have either one. I'm just saying i thought you needed more distance between seating and screen in the case of a movie room, and i thought a home gym needs more space too, if not for equipment then for air circulation to not get really warm.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

cchrissyy wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 pm Beyond what others have said, i really doubt 11x11 is big enough for a media room or for a home gym.
I don't have either one. I'm just saying i thought you needed more distance between seating and screen in the case of a movie room, and i thought a home gym needs more space too, if not for equipment then for air circulation to not get really warm.
The problem with an 11x11 room for a media room isn’t so much the distance from screen to seating, but the distance from seats to back wall. It’s an acoustic nightmare.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
JPH

Post by JPH »

carloslando wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:19 pm
JPH wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:26 am What is his/her major?
Computer Science. Was there a concern that with some majors the kid is more likely to be at home post their graduation as they figure out next steps?
That was my point, but I was being a little cynical.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

IowaFarmWife wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I would wait a few years before making any permanent changes for the room. I have had four children go through college now (last one just graduated, yea!), but they still need a place to stay for Thanksgiving, Christmas vacation, Spring break, weekends home, etc. A few of mine moved back home temporarily after college, and thank goodness we had their own rooms for them to live in for a while.
Agree 100%.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:58 am The problem with an 11x11 room for a media room isn’t so much the distance from screen to seating, but the distance from seats to back wall. It’s an acoustic nightmare.
ah! yes of course
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

galawdawg wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:35 am Nothing says "don't come back" to a freshman in college louder than converting their childhood bedroom to some other use. If your want your college-bound son or daughter to stay with you during holidays and the summer, leave the room as is.
I would have freaked f my bedroom was gone.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

AerialWombat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:51 am
Tom_T wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:08 am
AerialWombat wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 am Contrary to other posters, I applaud the unstated message to the kid: “You don’t have to go home, but you can’t stay here.”
That's absurd. The kid started college. He's not done. He hasn't graduated. So you're going to kick him out of the house?
Yes. A month after I graduated high school, I was shown the door for the last time. This is far more common than you probably think it is, despite the current media stories about Gen Z kids living at home into their late 20s.
The old “My parents treated me like crap, so I’m gonna treat my kids like crap.” approach?
Topic Author
carloslando

Post by carloslando »

*** OP, with an update. ***

The kid came home for Thanksgiving break and absolutely LOVES the fact that their room is almost the same as when they had left.

Thank you all very much for the advice to keep the room as-is for now.
This forum has given our family great guidance in so many aspects, financial and non; I am so grateful! Thank you!!
Comparison is the killer of all joy.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Hockey10 wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:12 am Do nothing. Wait 4 years then revisit the question at that time.
This :thumbsup :thumbsup
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Interesting thread, surprised I missed it the first time around. We have a smaller home (3brd ~1500 sq. ft. for family of 4), but have an unused bedroom because our kids choose to share a room. In the 7yrs that we have lived here, that room has been occupied by my in-laws (multiple times, for a total of about a year), my brother in-law (one stint, ~4 months), multiple other family members for shorter stints, and currently serves as my wife's office when she works from home (1 or 2 days a week) and for food/household goods storage as our 2-car garage is taken up primarily by our garage gym. We are definitely in the camp that doesn't understand buying a larger home because people may come to visit, then again I grew up sharing a room with 4 siblings and the wife with 2 - we are pretty comfortable sharing space with others and it seems our kids prefer it (at least now). We're the type who actually enjoys visiting others and sleeping on an air mattress in the living room, and nobody who has ever stayed with us has complained that they didn't have "their own space". So, it seems pretty odd to me that a child who does not live at home would still have their own room, but if there is no other logical use for it, I guess there is really no point in altering the situation.
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

If you have an extra room in a house it's not a bad idea to have a bed in it even if you mainly use it for something else. Situations come up, and sometimes it's just nice to sleep somewhere different. I've been able to find good quality mattresses for $300 and bedframes for $100, compared to things like couches you might have instead which cost more for a poorer quality. Under the bed you also have options for out-of-the-way storage.
IowaFarmWife

Post by IowaFarmWife »

carloslando wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:55 pm *** OP, with an update. ***

The kid came home for Thanksgiving break and absolutely LOVES the fact that their room is almost the same as when they had left.

Thank you all very much for the advice to keep the room as-is for now.
This forum has given our family great guidance in so many aspects, financial and non; I am so grateful! Thank you!!
Good! Enjoy your time with your family! :happy
"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore." Yogi Berra's financial wisdom.
enad

Post by enad »

You can turn it into a den or sewing room or exercise room
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Convert it to a guest room. When they come home, treat them like a guest!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course