[What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Me!

Re: [What TV Show Have You Recently Watched?]

Post by Me! »

‘Pepsi where’s my jet’ on Netflix

Hilarious
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

I came here to rave about the show Andor.

It is a great drama, world-building, character development. And then out of nowhere comes a spark of action that is thrills. The thing is, there is no action for just action sake. It takes it's time and delivers. Highly recommended.

Anyone enjoying it?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

BigJohn wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 9:43 pm
Random Musings wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:36 pm Down to the last few episodes of The Sinner. I like it, my wife only watched the first season.

RM
Finished season four last weekend and enjoyed all four. Sorry to see it end. Not your typical police “who done it”. The psychological elements make it really intriguing. Highly recommended.
This is definitely next for us. The first three seasons were really good.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:29 am
Random Musings wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:36 pm Down to the last few episodes of The Sinner. I like it, my wife only watched the first season.

RM
Finished season four last weekend and enjoyed all four. Sorry to see it end. Not your typical police “who done it”. The psychological elements make it really intriguing. Highly recommended.
Good to hear a confirm on the later seasons of "The Sinner". I had heard negative things about season 3. Anyway, it's next on the docket.

I finished "Ozark" last night. Ruth's words are echoing in my brain; Will that twang in my head ever go away? :)

My earlier view on Ben was probably an unpopular opinion, but the rest of "Ozark" was great for me. Though a little long. I actually liked the earlier seasons best since that was when Wendy Byrde's unique skill set was first revealed. Her talent (admittedly of questionable value as the series went on) was a perfect complement to Marty's. After that reveal, while an excellent story, great characters, phenomenal acting, and a heavy weighting of "ultra strong females" for those who appreciate up-to-date culture, there were no huge surprises and it did get a slight bit tiring at times. But overall, I'd include it in my Top 10.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Started watching "1899" on Netflix. Fans of "Dark," "The OA," "Lost", "La Brea" and others will find similarities.

Not sure what to think of it yet. It has the same creator and writer as "Dark"
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Tubes wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:49 pm Started watching "1899" on Netflix. Fans of "Dark," "The OA," "Lost", "La Brea" and others will find similarities.

Not sure what to think of it yet. It has the same creator and writer as "Dark"
Thanks, Dark was excellent, it was so good, this is on my list now, hoping it is a winner.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Nicolas wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 8:22 pm The Crown Season 5 Episode 3 on Netflix

This episode is all about Mohamed Al-Fayed, his son Dodi, and his introduction to Diana. An enjoyable show. And they played Edith Piaf which didn’t hurt! Recommended.

We just finished The Crown, and we are both rather disappointed in some of the casting/acting this season.
The Camilla character, on the other hand, really seems like it's *her* (not that we would actually know, of course).

And some of the "conversations" seem particularly unlikely.
Still... we watched it.

However, when it ended, it caught us completely by surprise. We hadn't been paying attention to the number of episodes, and were expecting another one. Instead, we were suddenly back on Season 1, Episode 1. :annoyed

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:54 pm

This episode is all about Mohamed Al-Fayed, his son Dodi, and his introduction to Diana. An enjoyable show. And they played Edith Piaf which didn’t hurt! Recommended.

We just finished The Crown, and we are both rather disappointed in some of the casting/acting this season.
The Camilla character, on the other hand, really seems like it's *her* (not that we would actually know, of course).

Still... we watched it.

However, when it ended, it caught us completely by surprise. We hadn't been paying attention to the number of episodes, and were expecting another one. Instead, we were suddenly back on Season 1, Episode 1. :annoyed

RM
I agree that some conversations are unlikely but they’re still entertaining especially when done well. It’s partly fiction but it could’ve happened. We just finished the fourth episode where Margaret briefly reconnects with her lost love. I thought that Margaret’s subsequent confrontation with her sister was done very well. It hit me in my heart. Likewise with The Princess Royal.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Sandburg —>
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:54 pm We just finished The Crown, and we are both rather disappointed in some of the casting/acting this season.
Some of the lines coming from Dominic West’s mouth sounded as if they were placed there by a PR agency acting on Prince Charles’s behalf. Mr. West can’t help but be a more dynamic presence than the actual Charles, even when the script has him whining, being obtuse, and being a hateful and cold, selfish, fish.

Casting Di was a tough job, and they appear to have given it the college try.

This is unkind, but having cast a more virile than real life Charles and less attractive Di changes some of the perceptions of the viewer.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

FoolStreet wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:33 pm I came here to rave about the show Andor.

It is a great drama, world-building, character development. And then out of nowhere comes a spark of action that is thrills. The thing is, there is no action for just action sake. It takes it's time and delivers. Highly recommended.

Anyone enjoying it?
Andor is easily the best Star Wars Disney+ show out there and only second to WandaVision in terms of original content IMO. Really well done show and I believe they're going to have a 2nd season, so it won't be over any time soon. I love "the how the sausage is made" aspect of this show more than anything. For decades, Star Wars fans who didn't want to read all the books had to accept Empire = bad without any additional context. Now we're seeing part of the reasons why.

We just finished S2 of Warrior Nun on Netflix. It's a good mindless action show with a lot of uber violent nuns trying to fight off evil. We liked it because it was entertaining which is all I was expecting it to be.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Part of the draw for "The Crown" for me was that it was about a real person of historical importance. It was an easy way to learn some history. When I heard that season 5 was going to get more into the fiction space, I decided to not watch.

Also, Diana is my least favorite of the royals and we already got an overload with her during the earlier seasons. I might change my mind, but so far, not hearing a lot of great comments overall. Good to hear the other side though. :)
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 12:54 pm

Part of the draw for "The Crown" for me was that it was about a real person of historical importance. It was an easy way to learn some history. When I heard that season 5 was going to get more into the fiction space, I decided to not watch.

Also, Diana is my least favorite of the royals and we already got an overload with her during the earlier seasons. I might change my mind, but so far, not hearing a lot of great comments overall. Good to hear the other side though. :)
So far, we've been unmoved to watch the current season...despite having enjoyed the earlier ones. We shall see.

If only "Fauda" season 4 were available...
Retired 01/2004 @ 51
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

In view of above posts about Season 5 of "The Crown", I mention that I watched "The Princess" (2022) a couple of months ago, around the time it came out. It was excellent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/08/11/movi ... diana.html

It can be found on HBO Max: https://www.hbo.com/movies/the-princess
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

Eat the Rich on Netflix. It's fantastic.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm

RM
Good to hear a confirm on the later seasons of "The Sinner". I had heard negative things about season 3. Anyway, it's next on the docket.
We've now watched the first 2 episodes. I'm intrigued. I have a few guesses about what happened; we'll see if I am right.
wabbott

Post by wabbott »

The Saint, S1 E1. The Saint - Simon Templar (Roger Moore) is a free-lance PI in England who only works when he wants to. In this episode he teams with an insurance investigator played by Shirley Eaton. Recall her as the Bond Girl in Goldfinger who gets murdered by being covered in gold paint. (M: "Gold? All over?") They're after a male gold digger whose previous wives have mysteriously died, and they must prevent his current wife from meeting the same fate.

I never watched the show in the 60s, as it was never syndicated on any stations I could receive.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Gunsmoke.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

bondsr4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:19 pmGunsmoke.
We once had a cat I named MIss Kitty in honor of Amanda Blake.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 7:41 am
roamingzebra wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 12:46 pm

RM
We've now watched the first 2 episodes. I'm intrigued. I have a few guesses about what happened; we'll see if I am right.
Can anyone tell me which streaming service this is on? I'm only finding it on a "pay more" app.
fabdog

Post by fabdog »

The Sinner is on Netflix.

Mike
telemark

Post by telemark »

FoolStreet wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:33 pm I came here to rave about the show Andor.

Anyone enjoying it?
Andor is very good. The plots -- the heist, the prison break, the team on a desperate mission whose members don't trust each other -- are all stories we've seen many times before, but they're well done and weave together nicely to make a greater whole. There was one bit of world building that annoyed me: you have a community living in a forest, without benefit of plumbing, but they're all remarkably clean with shampooed hair. Really? Other than that, it's all very solid with impressive attention to detail. And I enjoyed seeing Andy Serkis in the flesh, so to speak.

And I hope the bearded guy in the funeral procession made it out OK. I think he has some books to finish writing.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

We watched the first episode of "Wednesday" on Netflix with the kids (10 and 7) yesterday. The show is based off the Addams Family, titled after the main character. Not something we'd watch on our own, but it is actually pretty well done. My kids absolutely loved it.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

bertilak wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:51 pm
bondsr4me wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:19 pmGunsmoke.
We once had a cat I named MIss Kitty in honor of Amanda Blake.
I bet that’s one finicky Kitty!!
Happy Thanksgiving
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Father Brown, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

Re-watched Episode 1 Season 1 at the request of grandchildren here for Thanksgiving.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Watched and enjoyed the following in last 2 weeks.

The Crown
Andor
Orville season 1 & 2
Terminal List
Jack Ryan Season 2
Walking Dead - series finale
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
maxim81

Post by maxim81 »

Hidden gems on AMC+:

McMafia
Little Drummer Girl
Gangs of London
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Crown Season 5 Episode 5 on Netflix

Further adventures of the breakup of Chas/Diana. I can’t believe they dramatized that phone call! The dressing down of Charles by his father in the “boardroom” with all family members present was worth the price of admission. Strange to see Camilla’s husband Parker-Bowles standing by silently watching the whole fiasco. Not as fun as some of the other episodes but still worth it.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Sandburg —>
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

Another ringing endorsement for "Andor" Season 1!

The season starts slowly, but the character- and world-building foundation paid off. Each 3-episode arc is structured like a movie, until the crescendo of climatic moments in the last episodes. The supporting characters are strongly drawn and well-acted, many by familiar Brit thespians.

The series includes themes dealing with authoritarianism, neo-fascism, the pursuit of work advancement without regard to corporate ends, mass incarceration, the importance of the individual, the power of ideas,..., so many great points.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Matahari wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:23 pm Another ringing endorsement for "Andor" Season 1!

<snip>

The series includes themes dealing with authoritarianism, neo-fascism, the pursuit of work advancement without regard to corporate ends, mass incarceration, the importance of the individual, the power of ideas,..., so many great points.
Thanks for the info on themes. That suddenly makes it sound more interesting. I may give it a look later on.

I just finished Season 3 of "The Sinner". That's eight or so hours of my life that I'll never get back. Matt Bomer was good, and believable in that role, but the story itself was weird, freaky and intellectually indulgent. Not to mention depressing. First World problems anyone? Anyway, glad it's over, on to Season 4, which I think is supposed to be more "nomal".
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

RM
Finished up Season 4 and really enjoyed the last season. Also sorry to see the series end, but it was a very solid series.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:25 pm
Matahari wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 3:23 pm Another ringing endorsement for "Andor" Season 1!

<snip>

Thanks for the info on themes. That suddenly makes it sound more interesting. I may give it a look later on.

I just finished Season 3 of "The Sinner". That's eight or so hours of my life that I'll never get back. Matt Bomer was good, and believable in that role, but the story itself was weird, freaky and intellectually indulgent. Not to mention depressing. First World problems anyone? Anyway, glad it's over, on to Season 4, which I think is supposed to be more "nomal".
I really loved Andor! (I can't wait until Alan Tudyk joins in Season 2, as K-2SO.)

Anyway...I completely skipped Season 3 of The Sinner when I was going through the series. It was just too odd and I couldn't get past the first episode or so. IIRC, I thought Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty good (it's been some years). Season 4 was okay. I watched because I'm a fan of Bill Pullman.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

It's a movie, I know. I watched Rogue One in preparation for Andor.

Was that necessary? Even though it is out of order chronologically, I figure it was released that way and makes sense to enjoy Andor.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

lostdog wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:34 am Rings of Power episode 5.

It's getting really good.
Just finished this series on Amazon Prime. The first few episodes were slow since they were world building, but it picks up in the middle and at the end. I haven't read Tolkien's Silmarillion yet but I do have a copy and may read it on an upcoming business trip to understand what I was seeing. For the most part I liked it, I thought the production value was high and I really enjoyed the actors who portrayed the dwarves. It was neat to see Galadriel and Elrond being a little edgier than they were in the movies, as most of us are in our younger years.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 10:54 pm

Still... we watched it.

RM
I also finished Season 5 of the Crown recently. I agree that many of the conversations seem far-fetched, I'm not sure what if any historical reference(s) they used as a base for those or if they are entirely fictional. Overall the season was okay but quite sad due to the many melancholy side themes around the main theme of the end of Charles and Di's marriage.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Elsebet wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 1:42 pm I also finished Season 5 of the Crown recently. I agree that many of the conversations seem far-fetched, I'm not sure what if any historical reference(s) they used as a base for those or if they are entirely fictional.
Netflix Adds “Fictional” Disclaimer To ‘The Crown’ Season Five Trailer Following Backlash

The above article doesn't really explain that much, but this is part of a Reddit thread which gives greater detail (potentially spoilerish):
The season features a plotline where Prince Charles pressures Prime Minister John Major to advise the Queen to abdicate. Aside from being unethical and power hungry, this would also be breaking constitutional conventions. There is no evidence this ever happened and Major has denied it. Prince Philip is also portrayed as having an affair with his friend Penelope Knatchbull. Again, there is not evidence this happened, it's a speculative plotline.

While past seasons featured imagined storylines, none of them were as negative or significant as these ones. And the inconvenient timing of the Queen's death and Charles's ascension has amplified the backlash. Monarchists think these storylines are now particularly insensitive and fear people will think the abdication scheme plotline was factual.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Matahari wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:15 pm Anyway...I completely skipped Season 3 of The Sinner when I was going through the series. It was just too odd and I couldn't get past the first episode or so. IIRC, I thought Seasons 1 and 2 were pretty good (it's been some years). Season 4 was okay. I watched because I'm a fan of Bill Pullman.
If you thought episode one was odd, you should have seen the later episodes. :o I almost gave up after one scene but thankfully it was kind of a false alarm.

Anyway, another part that I tolerate but don't particularly love about "The Sinner" is the music. It's deliberately eery and ominous at times, which resembles what you'd hear in a supernatural or horror film/series. Maybe it's just me, but I prefer regular dramatic music, not something that makes one think a three-headed monster is going to jump out.

But Season 4 is okay so far. It does have some of the eery music, but the plot doesn't seem off-the-charts odd, at least not yet!
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Welcome to Wrexham, an 18 part docu-series on Huku. Rob McElhenney and Ryan Reynolds buy a struggling Welsh foot ball (soccer) team, hoping to turn it around. I'm enjoying it. Even though I'd seen Ted Lasso where their team was demoted, I didn't really understand the whole promotion / demotion thing in English-UK football.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

maxim81 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 6:30 pm Hidden gems on AMC+:

McMafia
Little Drummer Girl
Gangs of London
I liked all of those. G of L season 2 was much better than I thought it would be.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Rosemary and Thyme, on Amazon Prime with Britbox.

This is a 3 season British T.V. series. Two commercial gardeners find dead bodies and mysteries in every garden they work on. "Being gardeners means that they overhear secrets and dig up clues which lead them to handle floral problems, solve crimes and capture criminals." Wikipedia article.

Disappointing.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Netflix 4-part series Inside Man. Not what I would consider a series, but four hours that DW & I found worthwhile. Not great but something different. DW had to talk me into watching it as the premise did not appeal to me at all--not quite what I expected though. Now I'm hoping they can make an additional "season" or two out of it.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt10948716/? ... _sr_srsg_0
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Monday Night Football.

Best.
Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
jjunk

Post by jjunk »

Tubes wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 6:38 am It's a movie, I know. I watched Rogue One in preparation for Andor.

Was that necessary? Even though it is out of order chronologically, I figure it was released that way and makes sense to enjoy Andor.
You don't need to watch it given Andor is the prequel to Rogue One. I think knowing how the movie goes does bring some added depth to what you see from Andor's development as a character though. We plan to rewatch the movie again once the series is complete just to get the 360 effect.

We just started watching Welcome to Chippendales on Hulu. I didn't know much about the real story but it's a lot darker than I was expecting. It's very well acted and a compelling bit of history.

Also, season two of The White Lotus is even better than the first season IMO. Probably the second best show we've watched all year after Pachinko.
roamingzebra

Post by roamingzebra »

Blues wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 am "Kleo" on Netflix. A German version of "Killing Eve" meets "The Americans". Entertaining, humorous, with a good plot.
I had to watch after seeing that comparison. :) Lotsa fun.
Blues

Post by Blues »

roamingzebra wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:20 pm
Blues wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:43 am "Kleo" on Netflix. A German version of "Killing Eve" meets "The Americans". Entertaining, humorous, with a good plot.
I had to watch after seeing that comparison. :) Lotsa fun.
Glad you enjoyed it...(and you didn't make a liar out of me). :sharebeer
Retired 01/2004 @ 51
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am watching the Philadelphia Eagles battle the Tennessee Titans now!

Best.
Tony
Matahari

Post by Matahari »

The White Lotus Season 2 (HBO) -- I made the mistake of watching when only 5 episodes had become available and so have had to wait week-by-week to complete the 7-episode season, which I hate doing!

The season finale is next Sunday and it's still unclear in my mind who are the "dead guests" and the drowning victim, both of which were immediately disclosed in Episode 1, so this is not a spoiler. I have ideas.... The revelation in Episode 6 last night in "the (old) photograph" seen by Tanya was very vaguely done, to the point I needed to read up on it to check what I was supposed to be seeing. But that photograph would certainly clarify some motivations.

The location in Sicily is gorgeous. The hotel is fabulous and the guests are quite wealthy, so their rooms and suites are correspondingly luxurious, though I don't think it's realistic that these guests consistently have their meals at the hotel restaurant. Clearly the dining-in is necessary for the plotting, but that is unrealistic when there must be great ristorante serving local fare. The character dynamics (though not all equally strong) do serve to propel the separate plot lines, which will converge upon the reveal.

Recommended.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I watched 1899. It started out very promising but the plot at the end was a huge disappointment. No spoilers, so won't go any further, but don't bother watching. Intellectually lazy way to end a tv series.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Watching one of the best shows of ALL time: “Miami Vice”.

Best.
Tony
FRANK2009

Post by FRANK2009 »

Watching "For All Mankind" on Apple TV. A sci-fi show about the Russians landing on the moon first during the space race days. The show mixes fact and fiction regarding mans's exploration of space. It's pretty good as long as the viewer knows it's not a documentary.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

abuss368 wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 12:17 am Watching one of the best shows of ALL time: “Miami Vice”.

Best.
Tony
Make sure you watch the episode "Smuggler's Blues". I was a young man at the time that episode came out, and not a regular watcher, but I caught that one by chance. It has the Glenn Frey (of The Eagles) song "Smuggler's Blues" throughout, which was a current hit at the time. I had never seen a TV show with such good timing to the current music scene before, and have not since. Music video for the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSXKyHM133c
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill