Tax loss harvesting and annuity income

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
curryitr

Tax loss harvesting and annuity income

Post by curryitr »

Hello!

I am getting ready to receive a SPIA annuity payout of $22,194.53 with the taxable portion of the payment being $16,268.59.

Due to the market downturn I have a sizable amount of losses in my taxable brokerage that I would like to use to offset that annuity payment. I'm not sure how the annuity and brokerage are related on a 1040, but can I offset the taxable portion of the annuity payment by tax loss harvesting or is the most that I could offset the $3,000 annual maximum on claiming a capital loss?

Thanks,

curryitr
exodusNH

Re: Tax loss harvesting and annuity income

Post by exodusNH »

curryitr wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:36 am Hello!

I am getting ready to receive a SPIA annuity payout of $22,194.53 with the taxable portion of the payment being $16,268.59.

Due to the market downturn I have a sizable amount of losses in my taxable brokerage that I would like to use to offset that annuity payment. I'm not sure how the annuity and brokerage are related on a 1040, but can I offset the taxable portion of the annuity payment by tax loss harvesting or is the most that I could offset the $3,000 annual maximum on claiming a capital loss?

Thanks,

curryitr
$3000 is what you'd be able to claim because the annuity income is not capital gains, just like a 401k or traditional IRA.
Doctor Rhythm

Re: Tax loss harvesting and annuity income

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Up to $3000 of net capital loss can be deducted.