Worthwhile to purchase separate liability insurance for an e-bike?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
stoptothink

Re: Worthwhile to purchase separate liability insurance for an e-bike?

Post by stoptothink »

CuriousTacos wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:15 pm
Luckywon wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:11 pm
stoptothink wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 11:40 am
I would love to know how it was determined that e-bike riders are more than 3x more likely to get in a collision with a pedestrian than a scooter or traditional bike. That doesn't pass the smell test, at all.
You're in luck, I found the original source of the quote, BMJ journals:

https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/content/26/6/524

Methods:
Descriptive and comparative analysis of injury patterns and trends associated with E-bikes, powered scooters and pedal bicycles from 2000 to 2017 using the US National Electronic Injury Surveillance System.

Results
.......E-bike-related injuries were also more than three times more likely to involve a collision with a pedestrian than either pedal bicycles (OR=3.3, 95% CI 0.5 to 23.6) or powered scooters (OR=3.3, 95% CI 0.3 to 32.9)........
That quote from the results should not be interpreted to mean "e-bike riders are more than 3x more likely to get in a collision with a pedestrian than a scooter or traditional bike". Instead, it's more nuanced, and merely means that e-bike riders, when injured, are >3x more likely to have been injured in a collision with a pedestrian than when riders of pedal bikes and scooters were injured.

Perhaps those riding pedal bicycles and scooters don't get injured as often as e-bike riders when they collide with pedestrians, but they still collide with them just as frequently. Or those riding pedal bicycles and scooters get injured in lots of other ways (i.e. mountain biking or in collisions with cars) while still getting injured in collisions with pedestrians just as frequently as e-bike riders.

It also says nothing about the likelihood of causing injury to pedestrians. The research was solely based around injuries to the riders themselves.

I say all this as someone who feels less safe on local recreation paths due to the increase in e-bikes, so if anything I'm biased against them. But the research should still be interpreted accurately.
The abstract results section wording is so convoluted that I wasn't sure what it was inferring, hence why I looked for full-text or any other source of the original data set. I'm not sure what to take from it, but (IMO) the idea that e-bike riders are 3x more likely to get into a collision with pedestrians (and injure them) doesn't pass the smell test. It is totally logical that e-bikes increase injury risk to the rider.
furwut

Post by furwut »

On the bright side, I read bike specific insurance may pay full value on theft or total loss. Your regular insurance carrier would surely severely depreciate your loss.
Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

To close the loop on this, I purchased a $300K liability-only policy from Markel. The premium was $144.

I also bought a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1410 to lock the frame and rear wheel, plus a KryptoFlex 410 Double Loop Cable to secure the front wheel. Somehow, I got the chain at a huge discount ($115 plus tax) shipped from the Amazon UK store. Otherwise, I would have gone with the Kryptonite Evolution 1090 Integrated Chain. Kryptonite provides insurance for theft without a deductible, and I spent $35 to purchase the 5-year option.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

Ketawa wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:49 am To close the loop on this, I purchased a $300K liability-only policy from Markel. The premium was $144.
Thanks for the update. Do you have an umbrella policy and if so would that apply for claims above 300k?
Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Luckywon wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:03 am
Ketawa wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 9:49 am To close the loop on this, I purchased a $300K liability-only policy from Markel. The premium was $144.
Thanks for the update. Do you have an umbrella policy and if so would that apply for claims above 300k?
I have an umbrella policy with GEICO. It will not cover my e-bike since any motor vehicles have to be named on the policy, and it is not possible for me to add it per GEICO policy.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

I also bought a Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain 1410 to lock the frame and rear wheel, plus a KryptoFlex 410 Double Loop Cable to secure the front wheel. Somehow, I got the chain at a huge discount ($115 plus tax) shipped from the Amazon UK store. Otherwise, I would have gone with the Kryptonite Evolution 1090 Integrated Chain. Kryptonite provides insurance for theft without a deductible, and I spent $35 to purchase the 5-year option.
Locks are only there to keep honest people honest. We’ve seen people use angle grinders take off the entire bike rack with the bike. If they want it they’ll get it. Park next to an unlocked bike to make it a little more inconvenient is the best bet.
Topic Author
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Monsterflockster wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 11:18 am

Locks are only there to keep honest people honest. We’ve seen people use angle grinders take off the entire bike rack with the bike. If they want it they’ll get it. Park next to an unlocked bike to make it a little more inconvenient is the best bet.
Yeah, the vast majority of the time my bike will either be in my apartment or at work, which is on a government facility. I don't expect it to be locked for long periods of time in public, but it's good know that I'll be reimbursed if it does happen.
furwut

Post by furwut »

Thanks for the update! If I proceed with getting my own eBike I’ll need to factor in insurance as well.