Vanguard Ranks Last for Digital Satisfaction; JP Morgan First

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Beliavsky

Post by Beliavsky »

By Andrew Welsch
Barron's
November 23, 2022
J.D. Power surveyed nearly 6,400 full-service and self-directed investors from June through August 2022. The consulting firm ranked firms based on their overall satisfaction with their wealth manager’s digital experience. J.P. Morgan Wealth Management ranked highest with a score of 728 out of a possible 1,000. Rounding out the top three are asset manager Charles Schwab , with a score of 726, and brokerage firm Edward Jones, with a score of 710.

Asset manager Vanguard, known for its low-cost index funds, ranked lowest with a score of 670. The industry average was 701. Vanguard’s app and website have suffered from tech glitches over the past year.

“Digital has become a key component of the overall wealth management customer experience,” Amit Aggarwal, senior director of digital solutions at J.D. Power, said in a statement. “Firms that are delivering the best overall digital experience are recognizing that their apps and websites are an extension of the client relationship and can be leveraged to improve relationships with advisors, drive brand loyalty and differentiate from the competition.”
A longer article on the study is here.
Florida Orange

Re: Vanguard Ranks Last for Digital Satisfaction; JP Morgan First

Post by Florida Orange »

I think this is a good thing. Or at least mostly good. When it comes to cybersecurity, simple is safe. I'll take that over flashy or even convenient any day.
7eight9

Post by 7eight9 »

I left Vanguard for Charles Schwab.

I'm not surprised by the survey results.
I guess it all could be much worse. | They could be warming up my hearse.
mmse

Post by mmse »

Here some counter-points from Allan Roth, "Why I’m Not Leaving Vanguard":
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

mmse wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:26 pm Here some counter-points from Allan Roth, "Why I’m Not Leaving Vanguard":
You can buy VG ETFs at any broker, so, not really a risk of ER going up these days. I would argue that's actually what vanguard wants you to do.
Klmaxx

Post by Klmaxx »

No surprise to me. The mobile app used to be good until Vanguard worked on “improvements”. This has nothing to do with security changes which are mainly transparent to the user. The weak rating is attributable to the devolution of the client experience. Vanguard has entirely missed the boat on introducing the new mobile apps, customers are not happy, and JD Power has confirmed it. Who at Vanguard is accountable for this mess, and how do we as “owners” effectuate change?
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Klmaxx wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:39 pm Who at Vanguard is accountable for this mess, and how do we as “owners” effectuate change?
Well, Jack Bogle created the culture of cutting costs. So where Vanguard is in 2022 is a direct result of staying on the path Jack Bogle set the company on decades ago to be focused on costs. Deferring investments in IT modernization and then choosing a low cost IT solution is exactly the culture Jack Bogle created. We don't know for sure but presumably Vanguard still incentivizes executives for cutting costs as they did under Jack.

You can transfer your Vanguard funds to a different brokerage. As mentioned up thread that's deep down what Vanguard wants you to do. They want another brokerage to administer your account and handle your customer service requests at no cost to Vanguard. Vanguard wants to be in the business of managing low cost funds; they do not really want to be in the business of being a free brokerage and providing free customer support.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

That’s it, I am moving to Ed Jones. :shock:
billaster

Post by billaster »

Anybody know what a "wealth management firm" is or a "wealth management app" or a "wealth management digital experience"? I'm not sure that last one is even legal in some states. Who comes up with this stuff? It must be the fintech bros.
Klmaxx

Post by Klmaxx »

stan1 wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:54 pm
Klmaxx wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:39 pm Who at Vanguard is accountable for this mess, and how do we as “owners” effectuate change?
Well, Jack Bogle created the culture of cutting costs. So where Vanguard is in 2022 is a direct result of staying on the path Jack Bogle set the company on decades ago to be focused on costs. Deferring investments in IT modernization and then choosing a low cost IT solution is exactly the culture Jack Bogle created. We don't know for sure but presumably Vanguard still incentivizes executives for cutting costs as they did under Jack.

You can transfer your Vanguard funds to a different brokerage. As mentioned up thread that's deep down what Vanguard wants you to do. They want another brokerage to administer your account and handle your customer service requests at no cost to Vanguard. Vanguard wants to be in the business of managing low cost funds; they do not really want to be in the business of being a free brokerage and providing free customer support.
I have no problem with them cutting costs. The fact is the money spent on changing the app interface has been wasted based on the impact on user experience.
afan

Post by afan »

Can someone explain what they want to do on Vanguard that is difficult?

I have my investments on autopilot. If I accumulate more cash, it is trivial to transfer to Vanguard and add to my positions. I do not access any of my investments using a mobile app. I do not want to use something that I carry around and has a risk of loss.

What else should I be doing? Why would whatever it is be easier somewhere else?
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

I do really like JP Morgan’s platform. And you can invest into vanguard funds for free. On auto-invest nonetheless! The only other broker to offer that feature is Vanguard themselves and E*Trade.

Bogleheads should consider using JP Morgan / Chase YouInvest.
bestoftimes

Post by bestoftimes »

To me it seems lke a wash.

I mean, if the best score out of 1000 is 728 (J.P. Morgan), and the worst score is 670 (Vanguard), I don't see a whole lot of difference there - 8.6% ?

I confess to being a Vanguard user who hasn't had any problems using their online portal.

Will
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

I never believe anything J.D. Powers says. I understand it is actually a PR firm.
ee_guy

Post by ee_guy »

Ricola wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:05 pm I never believe anything J.D. Powers says. I understand it is actually a PR firm.
The key is who is paying J.D. Powers and how does it get revenue. Follow the money ....
JasonHutt

Post by JasonHutt »

I'll admit that the Vanguard website is terrible. I have an ETF that is not from Vanguard, and the website seems unable to seamlessly integrate that with Vanguard Total Stock Market. I also don't see anything comparable to Fido's investment x-ray (based on Morningstar).

This is a Roth with not too much in it, so I don't worry, but I have been dismayed.
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

Ricola wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 1:05 pm I never believe anything J.D. Powers says. I understand it is actually a PR firm.
I have no trust in JD Powers. A few years ago they ranked HP very high in customer service and trying to contact customer service in my experience meant two hours on hold listening to Bombay's greatest hits and then someone would tell you, regardless of the problem, to fix it by reinstalling the operating system.
birb

Post by birb »

Vanguard's website is so bad, it astounds me. I don't know if others experience this, but it seems like it's currently a mix of the new site where you can't find anything you need, and then if you navigate just right, you can find a link that goes to their old site which seems to have most stuff needed, just in a really ugly format. I get that they're low cost, but their IT is awful.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

birb wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:29 pm Vanguard's website is so bad, it astounds me. I don't know if others experience this, but it seems like it's currently a mix of the new site where you can't find anything you need, and then if you navigate just right, you can find a link that goes to their old site which seems to have most stuff needed, just in a really ugly format. I get that they're low cost, but their IT is awful.
Yes, they're trying to do it piecemeal and botching the job.

It's also difficult to escape the impression that they keep letting stuff go live without much testing. As the saying goes, "we don't release our software, it just escapes."

I don't think the new navigation and organization is much worse, but it manages to be confusingly different without actually being any better. They're just tinkering with the superficial look and not taking advantage of the opportunity to improve the UI design.

And they're doing illogical stuff. It's as if someone said "tabs aren't visually cool, don't use any tabs." Instead of a tab--which is a good visual metaphor--they just have a row of bold words and a thick line under the one that is selected. And instead of the metaphor of tabs within a binder flipping to the right page, you click on the not-a-tab and and a six-foot-tall virtual page slews at thirty miles per hour to the selected information. There's no way this is an improvement, other than meeting some requirement that it "not be a tab."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Treasury direct was rated 4,323rd. Just kidding.
Last edited by Parkinglotracer on Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drumboy256

Post by drumboy256 »

Parkinglotracer wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:24 pm Treasury direct was rate 4,323rd. Just kidding.
:twisted: :sharebeer
Promise is one thing. Fulfilling that promise is quite another. - Sir Alex Ferguson | // Merri-Bogle WW SCV + Chill
DrChronzworth

Post by DrChronzworth »

When I was there in Vanguard IT most of the IT staff were contractors from India whose English skills were about a kindergarten to first grade level with a smattering of US based employees to clean up the contractor's mess.

I remember one memorable meeting where I spent an hour attempting to explain the concept of an "exit" button for a web page - fun stuff! :oops:

A big issue with the website was that it at the time was one monolithic program so any changes no matter how small required the entire website to be updated, which meant in general changes could only be done on the weekends and generally this was only done 4 to 5 times a year. As a result, regression testing the entire website after changes were made was almost a week long affair which is why I imagine there are old parts of the website (since they can't really release stuff as it's developed they have to wait until the next quarterly release) and glitches abound (since it's hard to test the mixture of old and new).

When I left they were attempting to move some stuff into a microservice type architecture but I'm not sure how far along they are with that.
Last edited by DrChronzworth on Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

J.D. Power survey results suddenly relevant and credible to Vanguard detractors. . .
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Cheez-It Guy wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 9:48 pm J.D. Power survey results suddenly relevant and credible to Vanguard detractors. . .
And visa versa, when Vanguard isn't at the top suddenly its not credible by their fans.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Sounds like a textbook case of human nature / confirmation bias to me.
Target2019

Post by Target2019 »

There's no link to data of any kind, so take the rankings with a grain of salt.

I think that JPM ties into millenials through company stock awards (does for my son), and similar for Schwab (son, again). Because of what I saw with son't Schwab account, we opened one about 7 years ago. I moved my 401(k) accounts to Schawb (Rollover-IRA). I will roll my SEP-IRA into that in 2023.

We also have consolidation of spouse's work plans, and may rollover her TSA and Vanguard IRA to Schwab or Fidelity. We're still thinking that through. I still lean towards two companies, so if we commit to Fidelity for a portion of our accounts, they will mean total send off for Vanguard.

Vanguard is losing us on the technical as well as support aspects. IM's and email with a local rep are vastly superior to the Vanguard way, in my opinion. We can use Vanguard ETF's at either Schwab or Fidelity.
FrodoKenobi

Post by FrodoKenobi »

I think the only problem I have had with Vanguard--and this is with the new iteration of their website--is that I can't print out a copy of our accounts without it taking up too many pages--the print on the printout is way too big. It otherwise has always worked for me.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

no surprise at all…

of course if Vanguard was rated #1, J.D.Power study would be considered true.
but VG is not rated #1, so the detractors want to diss the report….not surprised about that.

each customer has an opinion based on real life happenings, so for me, surveys are just that…a survey.

my opinion and experience about VG as a whole is all that matters to me.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

bondsr4me wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:11 am of course if Vanguard was rated #1, J.D.Power study would be considered true.
but VG is not rated #1, so the detractors want to diss the report….not surprised about that.
Vanguard did come out at or near the top of other recent JD Power customer satisfaction surveys. This one was specifically about digital experience, the others were about overall satisfaction.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

rkhusky wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 am
bondsr4me wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:11 am of course if Vanguard was rated #1, J.D.Power study would be considered true.
Vanguard did come out at or near the top of other recent JD Power customer satisfaction surveys. This one was specifically about digital experience, the others were about overall satisfaction.
digital weighs heavily for me...website and app are important to me...I don't call them.

everyone has a different use/need.
afan

Post by afan »

I accept the JDP surveys for what they are, those that show high overall satisfaction with Vanguard and this one that shows low satisfaction with the online experience.

They do not tell us anything about the scale, so we don't know whether the difference between the top and bottom-rates firms is so small as to be lost in the noise or so large that JPM customers are 10 times as happy.

But, again, what does one want to do on the Vanguard site that is difficult? I have never run into problems, so apparently there is something important I am missing.

What is it?
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

afan wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:11 pm Can someone explain what they want to do on Vanguard that is difficult?

I have my investments on autopilot. If I accumulate more cash, it is trivial to transfer to Vanguard and add to my positions. I do not access any of my investments using a mobile app. I do not want to use something that I carry around and has a risk of loss.

Things I wanted vanguard to do:
-reply with a non-FAQ answer when I emailed them with a legitimate question or issue

Instead they:
-took away my ability to email them

Other brokers do not make it so difficult to contact them in writing (live chat, secure email), and have better support. Vanguard is many things, but a "great customer support organization" is not one of them
tunafish

Post by tunafish »

nalor511 wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:03 pm
afan wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:11 pm Can someone explain what they want to do on Vanguard that is difficult?

Things I wanted vanguard to do:
-reply with a non-FAQ answer when I emailed them with a legitimate question or issue

Instead they:
-took away my ability to email them

Other brokers do not make it so difficult to contact them in writing (live chat, secure email), and have better support. Vanguard is many things, but a "great customer support organization" is not one of them
My ability to email them reappeared after awhile. I don't know why. It's not like I have a ton of money there.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

bondsr4me wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:59 am
rkhusky wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:20 am
digital weighs heavily for me...website and app are important to me...I don't call them.

everyone has a different use/need.
Yep. I don't call or use the app. The website works fine for me. I don't care much about the appearance, as long as the functionality is there, which it is for me.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

tunafish wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:12 pm My ability to email them reappeared after awhile. I don't know why. It's not like I have a ton of money there.
Vanguard doesn't tell us their plans in advance, but the long term trend in call center support is trying to handle most customer support requests through a chat bot then live chat or email. Vanguard didn't have capacity to do this until they upgraded their IT, but I think it will be coming back as it is a more efficient way to allocate call center resources.

Not sure if it will get to this point at Vanguard, but Frontier Airlines has shut down their phone call center
Not able to self-serve on flyfrontier.com or our mobile app?
If you are unable to answer your question via our self-service tools or need help with changes to existing reservations, or flight information, or have general travel questions, visit our Customer Support page to contact us via Chat, or Email, or file a formal written complaint.
So Frontier prefers that a customer file a formal written complaint rather than call to argue your case with a call center rep. From the airlines perspective I can see why they would do this.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Florida Orange wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:09 pm I think this is a good thing. Or at least mostly good. When it comes to cybersecurity, simple is safe. I'll take that over flashy or even convenient any day.
A low end (not flashy) website can have just as many security issues as a higher end (more flashy) website. Taste and products have no bearing on proper security standards.
-- Only a Sith deals in absolutes --
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

Vanguard took one year and three month to give me Flagship upgrade after I retired and rolled over 1.7 million to existing balance of 827k with total of 2.7 million after several requests to them to no avail.

Yes customer service has been lowered due to Covid, work from home, great resignation or quiet quitting and redesigning of app and website, it was not enough for me to abandon ship!

I’ve been a loyal customer since 1995.
Alan S.

Post by Alan S. »

EJ ranks 3rd!!
Great service for their cash cows. :moneybag
Florida Orange

Post by Florida Orange »

brad.clarkston wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:32 pm
Florida Orange wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 10:09 pm I think this is a good thing. Or at least mostly good. When it comes to cybersecurity, simple is safe. I'll take that over flashy or even convenient any day.
A low end (not flashy) website can have just as many security issues as a higher end (more flashy) website. Taste and products have no bearing on proper security standards.
I'm not an expert in computer or on-line security but I know people who are and what they've told me is that, in general, the more complex or sophisticated a system is the more points of vulnerability it has. But I admit this is above my pay grade.
brad.clarkston

Post by brad.clarkston »

Florida Orange wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:29 pm
brad.clarkston wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:32 pm
I'm not an expert in computer or on-line security but I know people who are and what they've told me is that, in general, the more complex or sophisticated a system is the more points of vulnerability it has. But I admit this is above my pay grade.
I am one of those people, {Sr. System Design Network Eng - Security}, in the Fortune 50 range and no one I know would say that.

You are only seeing Vanguards web portal which has nothing to do with the back end network or individual enclaves, that's not even getting into there DDOS and ansible front end providers.

VG is just unwilling to spend money on good front end web and graphic designers which has nothing to do with there network security, rather than blind faith I would prefer to read the pin test and internal scan results.

Granted I'm not saying VG has bad security I doubt a financials company of that size could get away with it for long and stay in business as they get Federal and State audited twice a year just like any other USA FDIC/NCUA insured business.
-- Only a Sith deals in absolutes --
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Hopefully, the cost cuts will continue until I realize another decrease of 0.01% on all of my Vanguard mutual funds. But I really wouldn't recommend having an account at their brokerage.
William Million

Post by William Million »

I actually wonder how you can do such a bad job on a website as Vanguard. Anyway, with Fidelity and Schwab, no one needs to put up with that.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

Something the Vanguard account management website does get right is mutual fund specific identification lots and sales (vs. Schwab for example). I just wish they could default new mutual fund holdings into specific ID instead of average so that novice investors don't accidentally make a sale using average or think that average simplifies things in the modern "covered share" world. But I think the IRS might not let them.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

whodidntante wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:23 pm Hopefully, the cost cuts will continue until I realize another decrease of 0.01% on all of my Vanguard mutual funds. But I really wouldn't recommend having an account at their brokerage.
You do kind of wonder if their 10-year "master plan" is for the brokerage to serve mainly as (1) a container for DAS and PAS clients' Vanguard holdings, and (2) a container for those firing their advisor and switching to DAS/PAS to do an ACATs transfer of their previous holdings into. Perhaps they would prefer DIY investors to go hold Vanguard ETFs elsewhere like it is for BlackRock and State Street. The Advice Select funds (for PAS clients only) might already be a move in this direction.
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

afan wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:57 pm But, again, what does one want to do on the Vanguard site that is difficult? I have never run into problems, so apparently there is something important I am missing.

What is it?
I'll give you an example (besides the wasted "white space" that makes for way too many pages of printout of accounts, etc.) It has to do with rebalancing.

If you have several accounts...for example, a taxable account, a TIRA, a Roth IRA, a spouse's TIRA and a spouse's Roth IRA...Vanguard used to let you generate a printout that had major headings (such as "large cap", "small cap," "fixed income", "foreign stock"), that each had a line item for each account's fund that fell into the heading's category.

So you could easily add up all the S&P funds held across accounts, all the small cap funds held across accounts, etc. etc. as a subtotal under each heading. Rebalancing was then a simple matter of dividing each "subtotal" by the total amount of funds in all accounts. (And all the emerging market funds, for example, were next to each other under the "foreign" heading for easy computation of the percentage held in that category, as were the European funds and the Pacific funds). It was so compact and visually accessible, that it could all be done next to the printed information, and everything you needed was right in front of you in one place.

There is no way to get that kind of printout any more, despite my complaints to Vanguard over the past number of years since they "improved" that feature away. But if any of you folks know a way to still do this, I am all ears.
Last edited by BBBob on Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

BBBob wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:51 pm If you have several accounts...for example, a taxable account, a TIRA, a Roth IRA, a spouse's TIRA and a spouse's Roth IRA...Vanguard used to let you generate a printout that had major headings (such as "large cap", "small cap," "fixed income", "foreign stock"), that each had a line item for each account's fund that fell into the heading's category.
Are you talking about the old-style Portfolio Watch? Consensus seems to be that they got caught off-guard by the end of life of Adobe Flash, which it used, and had to recreate the new-style HTML5 Portfolio Watch that exists now, and a lot got dropped on the floor in the process.
BBBob

Post by BBBob »

Yes...I think that was what they called it. There was a link on the "portfolio watch" page that had the word "allocation" in it I believe.
BackToSchoolDad

Post by BackToSchoolDad »

manlymatt83 wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:41 pm I do really like JP Morgan’s platform. And you can invest into vanguard funds for free. On auto-invest nonetheless! The only other broker to offer that feature is Vanguard themselves and E*Trade.

Bogleheads should consider using JP Morgan / Chase YouInvest.

I'll concur with this. I've been trying out Chase as a one stop shop since my checking account is there, and I've found it pretty excellent. Access to all VG mutual funds with no fee means I can park my EF in a VG money market fund and then invest my IRAs in my usual ETFs. Mutual fund purchases are easily automated.
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

afan wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 12:11 pmCan someone explain what they want to do on Vanguard that is difficult?
The only thing that bugs me about the new UI is that on the cost basis screen, you can't view the list of SpecIDs for an investment anymore. You've got to go to a separate screen for a single investment to view its SpecIDs. Sometimes I want to look at the SpecIDs for all of my taxable investments at one time, but it doesn't seem possible anymore.
Charles Joseph

Post by Charles Joseph »

I've complained on here before. But I've come to the realization that my complaints were largely theoretical. I haven't had to call Vanguard in quite some time. Now, I mostly transfer money in to my settlement account and simply buy funds. And sell if needed. And transfer into my bank account. I haven't had a problem doing those things.

Over the last two years I transferred money from 403b's into my rollover IRA twice and that went smoothly.

And I like the app, for a variety of reasons.

So my heart has changed back to Vanguard (even if some of my money is also at Fidelity).
"What, me worry?"