Over washer/dryer garage cabinet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
chickadee

Over washer/dryer garage cabinet

Post by chickadee »

Well, right in the middle of Thanksgiving prep we had a minor disaster. The two door cabinet we had hanging over our washer and dryer in the garage leapt from the wall, spilling cleaning supplies, bottles of pesticide and detergent everywhere and denting my car in the process. It’s been hanging there for 5 years. When I looked at it, the handyman had put six Molly bolts into the drywall but inscrutably decided to give the perfectly placed in the middle stud a miss. :oops:

Does anyone have suggestions of where to buy a new unit? I want one that hangs from a rail that I can screw into that stud. This one was pressboard, and I don’t trust that stuff once it’s had an accident or moved then it’s just disposable in my book.

Where should I look for a new unit? Besides Hd and Lowes, of course.

Should I be looking at metal? The plastic Rubbermaid ones looks cheesy to me.
snackdog

Re: Over washer/dryer garage cabinet

Post by snackdog »

It can be nice to match your kitchen and bathroom cabinets, if possible.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

chickadee wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:22 pm Well, right in the middle of Thanksgiving prep we had a minor disaster. The two door cabinet we had hanging over our washer and dryer in the garage leapt from the wall, spilling cleaning supplies, bottles of pesticide and detergent everywhere and denting my car in the process. It’s been hanging there for 5 years. When I looked at it, the handyman had put six Molly bolts into the drywall but inscrutably decided to give the perfectly placed in the middle stud a miss. :oops:

Does anyone have suggestions of where to buy a new unit? I want one that hangs from a rail that I can screw into that stud. This one was pressboard, and I don’t trust that stuff once it’s had an accident or moved then it’s just disposable in my book.

Where should I look for a new unit? Besides Hd and Lowes, of course.

Should I be looking at metal? The plastic Rubbermaid ones looks cheesy to me.
To OP:
Notes and options:

***(based on your wish to install horizontal surface mount wood strips "before" mounting the cabinet to a wall. . VS "no strips".)

Go to Home Depot or Lowes or Cabinetry/kitchen/etc supply center.
Select cabinetry to fit and match what you want.

Upper Kitchen cabinets are often of better quality than "pressboard" type "utility cabinets" with just melamine, etc, skin over thin pressboard.

Screw horizontal "rails", 1x3 fir into studs with 3 inch long deck screws. One up and one lower.
Paint "rails" to match wall.
Mount cabinets. Predrill so no splitting the 1/3 fir. Use minimum #10 wood screws. Countersink is optional if you have a countersink bit for that.
The cabinetry has a top edge and bottom edge to screw through that's made to take the weight.
Optional, if you are really putting heavy things in the cabinetry, mount thicker horizontal "rail" on the bottom and rest the lower edge of the cabinetry on it. Also helps when installing it all in line and level, etc.
enjoy new cabinetry system

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
chickadee

Post by chickadee »

Thanks for the advice!