Office chair and sit-stand desk recommendations

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
daheld

Office chair and sit-stand desk recommendations

Post by daheld »

Hi all. Throughout the pandemic, I have been in the office 100% of the time. I have accepted a position which I will start soon that will allow me to work from home a majority of the time. In addition, my wife, who has worked from home quite a lot over the last few years, is in dire need of an office chair upgrade. I am looking for recommendations for both office chairs and a sit-stand desk.

Important: we are both 5'2"-5'4". I need a sit-stand desk and office chair that are suited for this. Basically, I need the desk to lower to 25"-27" or so if at all possible. Also looking for chairs that are suitable for people this height.

I would like to spend no more than $300 per chair and no more than $300 on the desk. I have some desks saved on Amazon that I think might be fine, but I am clueless on the chairs. Any help is much appreciated.
hand

Re: Office chair and sit-stand desk recommendations

Post by hand »

Honestly, setting a budget on something that will impact your physical well being for at least 40 hours a week is not ideal. Define your requirements (ergonomics etc.), do some sit tests, then determine whether you can afford what meets your requirements (or if your body can afford it if you pay less). There's a reason for-profit companies spend really good money on office chairs.

Herman Miller Aeron or Steelcase Leap is typically the starting place for these discussions, and all of mine have been purchased used for roughly your budget - there is a big secondary market. (Rumor has it big Tech may have some unused chairs available in the near future as well!)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

For the desk, decide how often you are actually going to raise/lower it. If you are going to put it in one position and mostly leave it there a low cost model like you propose should be fine.

If you are going to raise and lower the desk regularly throughout the day then you might want to spend a little more for an Uplift or other model with an upgraded motion system and bracing. Being shorter in stature you do have the advantage of having the laws of physics on your side, compared to someone who is 6'6" and needs to raise the desk much higher off the floor to stand at it.

My observation is that for every person that moves the desk up regularly there are many more who find a preference for where they want it and mostly leave it there. If you aren't going to move it very often you can get by with a lesser motion assembly.

Also make sure you get a work surface that is appropriately sized for your needs (work habits and room). Some of the lower costs desks are not very deep or wide, for example. My desk is 60"x30" deep which is very useful but it also fits fine into my room.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

We have 3 of these desks, love them due to the manual desk level. Two are for our personal desktops and 1 is for my work rig as I work from home 100% of the time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M3 ... UTF8&psc=1

Also have 2 of these seats, I like them because they are tall so I don't really have to ever lower my standing desk.

https://www.staples.com/Tempur-Pedic-Er ... uct_953735
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
tev9876

Post by tev9876 »

Take a look at Husky workbenches from Home Depot.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in ... /312063227

I have the 52" with drawers but would probably skip them next time. They are really too shallow to hold much of anything and interfere with leg room. Tables are rock solid. You can also move the bottom cross bar to the back for more foot space. Comes with wheels and feet if you don't want it mobile.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

daheld wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:59 am Hi all. Throughout the pandemic, I have been in the office 100% of the time. I have accepted a position which I will start soon that will allow me to work from home a majority of the time. In addition, my wife, who has worked from home quite a lot over the last few years, is in dire need of an office chair upgrade. I am looking for recommendations for both office chairs and a sit-stand desk.

Important: we are both 5'2"-5'4". I need a sit-stand desk and office chair that are suited for this. Basically, I need the desk to lower to 25"-27" or so if at all possible. Also looking for chairs that are suitable for people this height.

I would like to spend no more than $300 per chair and no more than $300 on the desk. I have some desks saved on Amazon that I think might be fine, but I am clueless on the chairs. Any help is much appreciated.
To OP:
We have this in both of our home offices.
DW is 5'. I am 5-11" on some days.

Jarvis electric programmable stand up desk.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GV ... UTF8&psc=1
This has been reliable and easily adjustable for many years.
We also have large "L" desk systems and ergonomic chairs, and very good plastic/plexi chair mats on the floors.
We like the open area under these types of desks, so drawer cabinets are separate and match the "L" desk system that is not part of the "stand up desk".

Much depends if you have enough space for this type of thing.
Suggest getting what will work for you comfortably and last for many years. Especially using as much as you do. Health and comfort is the priority.

to OP: I hope this helps you.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
yolointopants

Post by yolointopants »

hand wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:24 am Honestly, setting a budget on something that will impact your physical well being for at least 40 hours a week is not ideal. Define your requirements (ergonomics etc.), do some sit tests, then determine whether you can afford what meets your requirements (or if your body can afford it if you pay less). There's a reason for-profit companies spend really good money on office chairs.

Herman Miller Aeron or Steelcase Leap is typically the starting place for these discussions, and all of mine have been purchased used for roughly your budget - there is a big secondary market. (Rumor has it big Tech may have some unused chairs available in the near future as well!)
The Aeron is such a perfect chair. If you sit all day, a chair is just as much part of your tools as if you were a mechanic. Quality tools are worth getting when your chair helps you make money. Totally worth getting quality.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

1) I bought my aeron chair off Craigslist for $300.

2) For sit/stand desk, you should check out Costco and Ikea.

KlangFool
40% VWENX | 12.5% VFWAX/VTIAX | 11.5% VTSAX | 16% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 40% Wellington 40% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

Chairs are highly person-specific. You need to try them.

I have frequent back problems (pulled muscles). I can't use Herman Miller chairs. Many people here love them. Our office spent $700 per person on them and to me, they are a waste of money.

The only office chair that works for me is the very simple kind. Without armrests. I got my manager's permission to bring this chair into the office to replace the one they provided me.

I go with the Boss brand. It's less than $100 on Amazon. It can go pretty low or high. I'm 6 feet and there's a lot of range to go above or below the height I keep it at. I now own 3 of these and will probably buy a couple more.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

hand wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:24 am Honestly, setting a budget on something that will impact your physical well being for at least 40 hours a week is not ideal. Define your requirements (ergonomics etc.), do some sit tests, then determine whether you can afford what meets your requirements (or if your body can afford it if you pay less). There's a reason for-profit companies spend really good money on office chairs.

+1. Agree with used Herman Miller Aerons. I had one at work and when I retired, the chair I had gave me back pain. I knew I needed a good ergonomic chair. I found a guy on Craigslist who bought and sold used office furniture. I got a 1 year old Aeron for less than half price. It has worked great, and 10 years later it is going strong.

This guy said companies are constantly moving, and they often just sell everything and buy new at the new location. He had a warehouse full of used office furniture.
Topic Author
daheld

Post by daheld »

Thanks for all the input. After some searching, there is a local furniture outlet that sells used office furniture. They have a good number of Steelcase Leap v1 chairs, so we will definitely be taking a visit to give them a test drive. I do prefer to sit in one rather than just order, even if returns are free. I hate the hassle of returning stuff.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

I got a standing desk and chair from uplift and am very happy with it. A little more expensive, but it works well, and looks clean and modern. You can customize the woods and shape online, and the customer service is great too.
mrb09

Post by mrb09 »

I have a Lander desk, which works great for me. I’m 5’4. It has memory positions for sit/stand.
raveon

Post by raveon »

I was able to get my work to reimburse for a Steelcase Amia Chair. I find this to be a very comfortable chair for my needs. Before I was using an Ikea high-back chair for 12 years. Glad to have switched.

https://www.madisonseating.com/amia-wor ... voQAvD_BwE

I would look for an open-box/refurbished chair to keep costs down.
birb

Post by birb »

I know you said sit/stand, but you also mentioned you wanted a low height, so I'm not sure if the stand part is a requirement? Anyway, we recently bought my husband the Bekant desk at ikea, and while it isn't sit/stand, it is adjustable height, so he was able to align it perfectly for his needs. It also has some nice built in netting under it to control cables. As for the chair, if you have a staples nearby, go check out the TempurPedic office chairs. They're really comfortable and durable. I know the chair was under $300 when we bought it, and the desk might have been just slightly more.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

I'm also in the market for a new office chair for a few reasons. I am not a fan of mesh seats, so that eliminates the HM Aeron. I do generally like Steelcase products, so I've looked at those. The Series 1, Series 2, and Think meet the parameters I prefer. The Leap, Gesture, and Amia have backs that are too tall for me.

I noticed the Steelcase Series 1 with fixed arms (only height change, not the "4D" arms also available on Series 1) is on a Cyber Monday sale at Amazon for just under $385, but the reviews say the arm rests on that model are similar to hard plastic, so I'm not sure that would work for me. When I'm not typing, I have a habit of resting my chin in one hand or the other with my elbow on the arm rest, so I need a little give to the arm rests.

My chair at work is the Eurotech Apollo, which is also listed on Amazon for about the same price, but I don't completely like it at work. My main complaint is that it got stuck in "seat pitched forward" mode when it wasn't used during the pandemic and has only recently started to kinda, sorta, go back to a neutral seat position when that lever is moved and extreme force is applied to adjust the seat angle.

I'm having difficulty justifying paying more for a chair, even though the Steelcase is currently running a sale when you buy directly from them that lowers the Series 2 to starting at a bit under $560 and the Think to starting at a bit under $830 (Edit: I just found a fabric option that lowers the starting price of the Think to just under $800). Any experiences with these chairs?
Last edited by Mudpuppy on Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

The Aeron chairs fit me well, but didn't suit my DW. She got a Steelcase Gesture which I also find very comfortable. New, they are above your price range, but very high quality and worth it.
ILikeChips

Post by ILikeChips »

I got a standing desk from Uplift. Agree with an earlier poster; if you're spending 40 hours a week at this desk, I wouldn't be cheap at the expense of your body. The uplift desk was more expensive than other options, but they are highly customizable. My experience is that it was worth every penny. I'm kicking myself for not getting one a lot sooner.

Their desk height ranges cover your height requirements.

https://www.upliftdesk.com/
Mr. Buzzkill

Post by Mr. Buzzkill »

I built my own inexpensive standing desk years ago with IKEA parts. It fit my height, five foot six, perfectly after I selected the right holes for the bolts on the variable extension legs.

I augmented it with an inexpensive bar/countertop stool with back and foot rails comfortable for my height, for when I want to sit at the desk.

IKEA now offers standing desks with motorized height adjustments that might be worth looking into. I think the IKEA model offering the motorized option is the BEKANT

A standing desk took a few days of a sore lower back to adjust to using muscles not used as much previously but after that, it’s been great.
A strategy that works only in bull markets isn’t much of a strategy.
itispossible

Post by itispossible »

I also suggest the Aeron chair if you work at a desk for long durations. There is a sale going on at the Herman Miller website. Think it is 20% or 25% off right now.
bb

Post by bb »

Last company had ESI Ergo desk and current company has AMQ (acquired by steelcase) although above your price. Desk.haus has interesting info on YouTube and sells desks from their website. Fully is mentioned a lot and was acquired by Knolls and ultimately Herman Miller. Saw Uplift desk at showroom and seemed unstable at standing height.