Investment mix in my HSA (Suggestions please)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
investmax

Investment mix in my HSA (Suggestions please)

Post by investmax »

Hi BHs,

I am trying to simulate Vanguard S&P 500 fund VFIAX in my HSA account. However my provider does not have VFIAX or the Vanguard Total Stock Market fund VTSAX in the fund list.

I see however it does have the following 2 funds

VANGUARD VALUE INDEX ADM
VVIAX
Fund family
VANGUARD
Category
LARGE VALUE
Asset class
Stocks
Management style
Passive
Net Operating Expense Ratio
0.05%
Gross Operating Expense Ratio
0.05%

and

VANGUARD GROWTH INDEX INSTITUTIONAL
VIGIX
Fund family
VANGUARD
Category
LARGE GROWTH
Asset class
Stocks
Management style
Passive
Net Operating Expense Ratio
0.04%
Gross Operating Expense Ratio
0.04%

I believe a combination of the 2 funds can be used to 'simulate' the S&P 500 fund. Is there a suggested proportion I can use for tracking S&P 500. I do not want to be hands on with the proportions often. What is a suggested ratio I can use to set it and then forget about it.

Thanks in advance
ruralavalon

Re: Investment mix in my HSA (Suggestions please)

Post by ruralavalon »

I suggest VANGUARD VALUE INDEX ADM (VVIAX) ER 0.05% by itself, for the simplicity. I would not try to simulate a S&P 500 index fund.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
Topic Author
investmax

Post by investmax »

Triple digit golfer wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:56 pm Go 50/50 and call it a day.

https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/bac ... tion3_2=50
Thank you. I will use this approach.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

It isn't important that the HSA itself have any particular asset allocation. Since your HSA and IRA are both being invested for retirement expenses, you can have one allocation across both of them, so you can choose to hold whatever fund is available in the HSA and then complement it with the rest of your portfolio.
Wiki David Grabiner
Topic Author
investmax

Post by investmax »

I checked the available fund list again and I see that I the VIIIX VANGUARD INST INDEX INSTL PLUS fund is available to choose. This basically "Seeks to track the performance of the Standard & Poor’s 500 Index" which means it is in effect an S&P 500 fund like VFIAX. I will be going with this one instead of the other two. Thanks for your suggestions!! Happy Thanksgiving friends :sharebeer