Problems Verifying Identity for IRS Refund using IDVerify

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
scienceguy

Problems Verifying Identity for IRS Refund using IDVerify

Post by scienceguy »

I manage my elderly father's finances as POA because he has mild dementia and is in assisted living. He is due for a big federal tax refund (~$15K) because of some changes to his financial and life circumstances over the past year. But instead of sending the refund, the IRS sent a letter 5071C, which demands that in order to receive the refund, he needs to prove his identity using a system called IDVerify.

Over the past few weeks I have worked to get together the needed documents and work through the IDVerify website to make this happen, but due to a variety of circumstances related to his age and dementia (no smartphone, cannot answer questions over a videochat without my help, which is prohibited), it has proven impossible. The letter 5071C says that if you cannot use the IDVerify system because you require help from a POA, call an 800 number and someone will help over the phone. I have called that number repeatedly, and every time I get a message that says that they are unable to answer the phone. And I cannot figure out how to make an appt with an actual human at a local IRS office in this post-covid era.

So I find myself in the land of Kafka. Does anyone have any experience with how to verify identity to the IRS without using this new IDVerify system? Any other ideas? The only thing I can think of is to call my congressman and get someone from constituent services to help but this is a last resort.
Rainier

Re: Problems Verifying Identity for IRS Refund using IDVerify

Post by Rainier »

You can largely due this for him, but he will need to be with you to do a scan of his face that will match to the ID you upload.

Does he have a cell phone? Doesn't need to be a smart phone, but it helps to have a phone that can receive an SMS. Do you have a laptop with a camera? That is what we used for the facial scan.

My suggestion is to just try the id verify and see how far you get.

We helped an elderly client in the same situation and we're able to get his refund sent just this week.
Topic Author
scienceguy

Post by scienceguy »

Rainier wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:27 am You can largely due this for him, but he will need to be with you to do a scan of his face that will match to the ID you upload.
Does he have a cell phone? Doesn't need to be a smart phone, but it helps to have a phone that can receive an SMS. Do you have a laptop with a camera? That is what we used for the facial scan.
My suggestion is to just try the id verify and see how far you get.
We helped an elderly client in the same situation and we're able to get his refund sent just this week.
Thanks so much for the super helpful reply.
I have done all this in the past few days. He cannot do the IDVerufy option without the videochat because he cannot receive texts and the phone # they have for him is an old home phone before he moved into assisted living last year. So I tried the videochat option sitting next to him, but the person made a big deal about the fact that I could not help him answer questions, and when they asked him the first question ("why are you doing this") he literally did not know the answer because of his mild dementia and because I have done it all for him up to this point. He now knows the answer to that question, so we could try it again, but I assume there will be additional questions he also cannot answer.
So that's where I am.... You think we should try it again and hope we get a nicer person on the other end?
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

I don't know the answers about the video chat. I wonder if you could feed him answers off camera somehow.

I was able to get the facial scan to work, thankfully. I originally entered my mobile phone to receive the code and proceed, but then learned they match the phone numbers to the person. So having a phone number to verify is fairly critical.

What about going to an IRS office with him? I think that's the last option.
increment

Post by increment »

scienceguy wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 8:22 am I manage my elderly father's finances as POA because he has mild dementia and is in assisted living.
Have you (or he) filed IRS Form 2848 to get your PoA authority recognized by the IRS and to obtain a CAF number?
The letter 5071C says that if you cannot use the IDVerify system because you require help from a POA, call an 800 number and someone will help over the phone. I have called that number repeatedly, and every time I get a message that says that they are unable to answer the phone.
A few months ago I had to dial (and traverse the phone-tree system) repeatedly for 40 minutes just in order to get into the hold queue.