Quicken 2019 and forward

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
CardinalRule

Re: Quicken 2019 and forward

Post by CardinalRule »

I don't think that the feature would have caused that, but the pending (and not downloaded) transactions would be reflected in the running balance off to the left, in the account bar.

Speaking of slowness, for some reason it is taking a long time to navigate through the registers. Lots of latency as Quicken tries to recognize a payee as I enter the first few characters, etc.

I archive old transactions each year and so my file isn't massive. I wonder if it has to do with some of the patches that have been made, including the one to turn off pending transactions.
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

I let my subscription expire in April 2022, I've been getting emails to renew, 20% off, then 25% off, 30% off, 35% off, 40% off, and now 50% off, which brings it down to $29.99 for Deluxe. I'm just curious, are they targeting me, or is everyone getting these. And how low do they go?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

It’s called target marketing. If you want to call that being targeted then so be it.

I just renewed Deluxe for another year at $39.99 from Costco. I probably could have gotten it for less if I had tried harder or waited a bit.

Cheers
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Kagord wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:51 am I let my subscription expire in April 2022, I've been getting emails to renew, 20% off, then 25% off, 30% off, 35% off, 40% off, and now 50% off, which brings it down to $29.99 for Deluxe. I'm just curious, are they targeting me, or is everyone getting these. And how low do they go?
I would jump on the $29.99 right now.
My subscription expires later this month and I think they lowest they have given me is $59.99 so far.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
TJat

Post by TJat »

Silk McCue wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:10 am It’s called target marketing. If you want to call that being targeted then so be it.

I just renewed Deluxe for another year at $39.99 from Costco. I probably could have gotten it for less if I had tried harder or waited a bit.

Cheers
Was that the “new customer only” deal? If so, how’d you get around that ?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

TJat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:00 am
Silk McCue wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:10 am It’s called target marketing. If you want to call that being targeted then so be it.

Cheers
I’ve never renewed directly with Quicken. I have always purchased the full product but not the first year only version. These can be purchased at a discount from many providers such as Costco, Amazon, Newegg etc. I then take the the license code and apply it to my account at Quicken. Nothing shady or improper about doing so.

Cheers
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Silk McCue wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:13 am
TJat wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:00 am

Cheers
I’ve never renewed directly with Quicken. I have always purchased the full product but not the first year only version. These can be purchased at a discount from many providers such as Costco, Amazon, Newegg etc. I then take the the license code and apply it to my account at Quicken. Nothing shady or improper about doing so.

Cheers
I did research this, every one had something to the effect of "new subscriptions only" in the fine print. I think I did this once, and the code worked to extend my subscription. Maybe there's other boxes in the retail channels that don't have this stipulation. Really, for these teaser pricing schemes, the box should say in big letters, "THIS IS A TRIAL PRICE, PLEASE BE AWARE: YOU WILL PAY $59.99 AFTER THE FIRST YEAR OF USE IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE USING SOFTWARE FUNCTIONALITY". Then I wouldn't be conditioned to pay a cheaper price.
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

Kagord wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:40 am

I did research this, every one had something to the effect of "new subscriptions only" in the fine print. I think I did this once, and the code worked to extend my subscription. Maybe there's other boxes in the retail channels that don't have this stipulation. Really, for these teaser pricing schemes, the box should say in big letters, "THIS IS A TRIAL PRICE, PLEASE BE AWARE: YOU WILL PAY $59.99 AFTER THE FIRST YEAR OF USE IF YOU WANT TO CONTINUE USING SOFTWARE FUNCTIONALITY". Then I wouldn't be conditioned to pay a cheaper price.
They don't need to say that because it isn't true - you don't HAVE TO PAY $59.99 each year. Nothing stops you from buying an unrestricted "1-year subscription" (that's how my packaging is labeled) via a reseller that discounts the product and still makes a profit

Ignorance is not bliss. They are a company built to maximize revenue and they aren't going to tell you that they can't stop you from buying a new 1-year subscription every year rather than paying the full boat renewal price that they charge.

Some folks just don't care about, or have no interest in spending time looking for a deal by using the approach that I and many people legally use and would just rather have it auto renewed. I'm not one of those people.

Cheers
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Kagord wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 5:51 am I let my subscription expire in April 2022, I've been getting emails to renew, 20% off, then 25% off, 30% off, 35% off, 40% off, and now 50% off, which brings it down to $29.99 for Deluxe. I'm just curious, are they targeting me, or is everyone getting these. And how low do they go?
I don't know if its targeting, but it sounds like they are contacting a former subscriber by email and giving you incentive to sign back up. That's pretty common with subscription services (cable company, print media, etc). I definitely do not get emails like that and I have never let my subscription drop.
enad

Post by enad »

Is it really worth using Quicken? I used to use it when it was DOS based and purchased several versions, the last probably 2002. By that time I just figured it was a money pit and switched to using spreadsheets and haven't looked back.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
stan1

Post by stan1 »

enad wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:48 am Is it really worth using Quicken? I used to use it when it was DOS based and purchased several versions, the last probably 2002. By that time I just figured it was a money pit and switched to using spreadsheets and haven't looked back.
It's a personal preference. I find value in using it because I don't value my time at $0 per hour.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I paid $30 in April from a 3rd party. I never buy it from Quicken. I don't need to wait for Quicken to make 6 offers. Buy it when it is on sale. I don't remember exactly how long it is good for before it expires, but there is some leeway there. I would never do the Quicken auto renew where they renew you at the top price automatically.

Even though I am good until April, I'll be watching on black Friday for Quicken. Also, one year they had a bonus 3 months so the subscription covered 15 months.
exarkun

Post by exarkun »

Same as others here; I've purchased renewal the last two years for ~$30/year at Newegg and staples.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:50 am
enad wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:48 am Is it really worth using Quicken? I used to use it when it was DOS based and purchased several versions, the last probably 2002. By that time I just figured it was a money pit and switched to using spreadsheets and haven't looked back.
It's a personal preference. I find value in using it because I don't value my time at $0 per hour.
I'm quite capable of creating sophisticated spreadsheets but integrating checking, investments, budgeting and taxes would be very time consuming and error-prone. (I.e., more error-prone than Quicken itself.)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I looked for a low cost renewal this summer. What I found was lower cost purchases for new users and the "fine print" on those all read that if a new user license was purchased and used to renew it would be rejected upon entry into the software and a refund process was laid out. I won't say it is impossible to find a low cost renewal, but it is not easy and you have to read the fine print very carefully otherwise you'll end up spending even more time dealing with a refund process if the license you buy doesn't work for renewal. In the end I went with an Amazon purchase that was $10 off at the time that specifically said it could be used for new or renewals. Maybe people are still finding a few rare discounts in 2022, but using data points from what was possible before 2022 is no longer accurate.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:14 am
I'm quite capable of creating sophisticated spreadsheets but integrating checking, investments, budgeting and taxes would be very time consuming and error-prone. (I.e., more error-prone than Quicken itself.)
I agree, personally I'd put building a complex spreadsheet along side changing my own oil or mowing grass (both of which I could do if I wanted to with the right tools but happily outsource). Building spreadsheets is no longer a fun hobby for me as it might have been 25 years ago. That said I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy changing their own oil, mowing grass, and building spreadsheets. I do use a simple spreadsheet I built many years ago for asset allocation, haven't updated it in any major way for over 10 years other than updating data two to four times per year.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:24 am
I agree, personally I'd put building a complex spreadsheet along side changing my own oil or mowing grass (both of which I happily outsource). Building spreadsheets is no longer a fun hobby for me as it might have been 25 years ago. That said I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy changing their own oil, mowing grass, and building spreadsheets.
I agree too. I probably average around 20 transactions a week and I don't want to manually enter them. I also don't want to set up a spreadsheet to download data from the probably 8 sites to get my data (credit cards, banking, investment). That is like 1000 transactions per year. Well worth the $30 for Quicken. I typically do the download in Quicken daily and it takes about a minute to categorize the transactions.

If I did the downloads once a month I would probably not remember what I bought to categorize it properly a month later. I suppose I could save the receipts, but that is too much trouble.
enad

Post by enad »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:30 am
I agree, personally I'd put building a complex spreadsheet along side changing my own oil or mowing grass (both of which I happily outsource). Building spreadsheets is no longer a fun hobby for me as it might have been 25 years ago. That said I'm sure there are plenty of people who enjoy changing their own oil, mowing grass, and building spreadsheets.
I agree too. I probably average around 20 transactions a week and I don't want to manually enter them. I also don't want to set up a spreadsheet to download data from the probably 8 sites to get my data (credit cards, banking, investment). That is like 1000 transactions per year. Well worth the $30 for Quicken. I typically do the download in Quicken daily and it takes about a minute to categorize the transactions.

If I did the downloads once a month I would probably not remember what I bought to categorize it properly a month later. I suppose I could save the receipts, but that is too much trouble.
So would you say you all spend about $30 per year on average to use Quicken to manage your checking, savings, portfolio, etc ... ? Just curious.
What Goes Up Must come down -- David Clayton-Thomas (1968), BST
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

enad wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:16 am
michaeljc70 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 9:30 am
stan1 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 8:50 am It's a personal preference. I find value in using it because I don't value my time at $0 per hour.

So would you say you all spend about $30 per year on average to use Quicken to manage your checking, savings, portfolio, etc ... ? Just curious.
Yes.

I don't use every feature in Quicken. There is budgeting, retirement, tax planning, savings goals, etc. features I just don't need. I do use it for all my investments,, banking and credit card accounts as well as loan accounts when I had a mortgage.

These are what I find some of the most useful things:
-What did I spend the last 12 months trailing? I use broad category groups to break it down. I look at the headline number all the time to see if I am going crazy with spending.
-How did my investments perform over the last x years? This is across accounts/brokerages. It would be a pain to figure this out otherwise as I have accounts at 3 places and cannot consolidate for various reasons.
-What is my AA? What adjustments are needed to get to my target. Quicken shows you this.
-When did I [replace the water heater, buy my laptop, replace the dishwasher, go to Argentina, etc.] and how much was it?
-Daily (okay, more than daily) updates of quotes on my investments. At a glance (customizable) view of all investments across all accounts.
-How has my spending changed over the last x years?

I used to use Quicken to tell my bank to make payments, but that feature was removed recently. You can use a paid Quicken feature for that, but I don't write many checks these days anyway.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I hope people post these $30 renewal offers when they are available. Feel free to take advantage of it yourself first, before informing the internet about it to start a stampede that shuts it down.
1head2minds

Post by 1head2minds »

Only the retail boxes (CD) can be used for renewals. Do not get the download version for renewals.

I always buy a retail box when a deal pops up within a couple months from my expiration date.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

1head2minds wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 12:12 pm Only the retail boxes (CD) can be used for renewals. Do not get the download version for renewals.

I always buy a retail box when a deal pops up within a couple months from my expiration date.
I think I noted that at one point as well, but I'm not sure ALL retail boxes will allow renewals any more.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

I don't think I would rely on digital download vs boxed to differentiate between new subscriber versions and renewals. Those things may correlate at the moment but they haven't in the past.
miket29

Post by miket29 »

Can I use a retail copy of the Subscription Release of Quicken to extend my membership?
Yes, but you can only redeem the activation code in the retail copy to extend your subscription in the last six months of your current subscription term. Note: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... rship-faqs
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

miket29 wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:59 pm
Can I use a retail copy of the Subscription Release of Quicken to extend my membership?
Yes, but you can only redeem the activation code in the retail copy to extend your subscription in the last six months of your current subscription term. Note: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken ... rship-faqs
That's just saying that you can purchase renewals at retail & you don't have to sign up for auto-renewal through Quicken. Nevertheless, there are retail copies of Quicken that are only usable by new customers & can't be used to extend an existing subscription. This, for example.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

For anyone looking for a Quicken subscription renewal…
Newegg will have Quicken Deluxe for $35.99 in their Black Friday sale beginning tomorrow.
I believe this will work for renewals.

https://www.newegg.com/promotions/nepro ... ories.html
Scroll down the page to find it near the bottom.

This is the only discount I’ve seen so far.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I just checked my account and I'm within the 6 month window. The Quicken renewal price is $59.88.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

If you're not within the 6 months of renewal, can't you just buy it and enter the code when it becomes 6 months?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:11 am If you're not within the 6 months of renewal, can't you just buy it and enter the code when it becomes 6 months?
Yes. From Quicken Help.
Activating a retail purchase

Cheers
cowdogman

Quicken Black Friday

Post by cowdogman »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I know it's still early but I have been looking for Black Friday (or Cyber Monday) deals on Quicken.

I use the Home and Business version, which is now $119.88 at Quicken.com. I'd prefer to buy it on sale, but it seems that as time goes by there are less and less opportunities during the year to find Quicken at a discount.

Has anybody seen any deals?

Thanks.
Last edited by cowdogman on Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
evelynmanley

Re: Quicken Black Friday

Post by evelynmanley »

This is being discussed today on this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=6971160#p6971160
cowdogman

Re: Quicken Black Friday

Post by cowdogman »

evelynmanley wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 11:20 am This is being discussed today on this thread:

viewtopic.php?p=6971160#p6971160
Thanks. I should have looked there. I find those many-page threads often contain interesting stuff but that it is lost in the large volume of posts.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged cowdogman's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

I'm seeing Quicken Deluxe offered at Costco for $39.99, shipping and handling included. See: https://www.costco.com/quicken-deluxe-p ... 07964.html

I assume it can be used to extend a current subscription because there's nothing that says it can't, but YMMV.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

TimeRunner wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:49 pm I'm seeing Quicken Deluxe offered at Costco for $39.99, shipping and handling included. See: https://www.costco.com/quicken-deluxe-p ... 07964.html

I assume it can be used to extend a current subscription because there's nothing that says it can't, but YMMV.
It can be. I renewed with this purchase from Costco in October.

Cheers
Pixafari

Post by Pixafari »

FYI, I just ordered Quicken Deluxe from Newegg for $30.99 (plus tax) this a.m. using promo code BFDBY2A2533. Almost as good a deal as last two years.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Pixafari wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:27 am FYI, I just ordered Quicken Deluxe from Newegg for $30.99 (plus tax) this a.m. using promo code BFDBY2A2533. Almost as good a deal as last two years.
Me too.
I wasn’t expecting a promo code on top of the Black Friday price but it was right there on the product page and applied automatically at checkout.
I see lots of other retailers are doing the same price today but not sure if they will offer a similar promo code.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Thanks! I just ordered Quicken Deluxe. The promo code is on the web page:

"Save even more w/ promo code BFDBY2A2533, limited offer"

Apply the promo code at checkout. It's a $5 discount. With PA state tax, it's $32.85.

All I have to do is wait for the box and enter the supplied activation code to my existing copy of Quicken.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Pixafari wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:27 am FYI, I just ordered Quicken Deluxe from Newegg for $30.99 (plus tax) this a.m. using promo code BFDBY2A2533. Almost as good a deal as last two years.
Very good deal.

I used Paypal to get an extgra 5% off with my Chase Freedom.
NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 »

How much is it to upgrade from deluxe to premier after installing deluxe?
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

michaeljc70 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:54 am
Very good deal.

I used Paypal to get an extgra 5% off with my Chase Freedom.
I just bought Quicken Home and Business for $55.99 ($71.99-$16.00 promo offer). Good deal.
cowdogman

Post by cowdogman »

NavyIC3 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:08 am How much is it to upgrade from deluxe to premier after installing deluxe?
You need to pay the full price for Premier and then your remaining Deluxe subscription is prorated (that is, reduced) to reflect the cost of Premier.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-do- ... bscription
stan1

Post by stan1 »

While this thread is active I have all my downloads working right now for Chase, B of A, Capital One.

But dreading when brokerages like Vanguard and Fidelity move off Direct Connect to Express Web Connect Plus. I'm assuming that's the plan for brokerage accounts too at some point.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

The Newegg deal (slightly upthread) is a good one! Thank you for sharing it. :beer
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | "All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine." -Jeff Spicoli
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:42 am Thanks! I just ordered Quicken Deluxe. The promo code is on the web page:

Apply the promo code at checkout. It's a $5 discount. With PA state tax, it's $32.85.

All I have to do is wait for the box and enter the supplied activation code to my existing copy of Quicken.
The box arrived today. I entered the activation code directly inside Quicken --> Help --> Manage Your Subscription --> Enter Activation Code.

My subscription was extended 12 months from current expiration date. I'm good till February 26, 2024. Remember that the subscription auto-renews, so you need to catch this before the expiration date.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Nov 23, 2022 1:44 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:42 am Thanks! I just ordered Quicken Deluxe. The promo code is on the web page:

The box arrived today. I entered the activation code directly inside Quicken --> Help --> Manage Your Subscription --> Enter Activation Code.

My subscription was extended 12 months from current expiration date. I'm good till February 26, 2024. Remember that the subscription auto-renews, so you need to catch this before the expiration date.
I think the subscription auto-renews only if you signed up for auto-renewal.
My subscription expired yesterday, today I got the email from Quicken that I’ve been officially excommunicated.
My box from NewEgg will arrive Friday so I expect my new subscription term will begin then.