Who's up for pickleball? Zero-zero-two. Game On!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dh

Re: Who's up for pickleball? Zero-zero-two. Game On!

Post by dh »

LadyGeek wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:00 pm ^^^ Good point on the shoes. Proper shoes are critical, as the support is for side-to-side movement instead of running shoes which are front-to-back. You can't run in tennis shoes and vice versa.

I'm using Asics Dedicate 7 tennis court shoes.

I should also mention that I've seen several people get injured when they fell. Important: Never, ever attempt to run backwards. If you go for a ball behind you, turn around first and take a shot at it. It's not worth the point to to fall. (At least at a non-competitive level...)

I'm also limiting my running due to my knee. I won't go 100% effort to chase a ball. 95% effort, OK.
Great tip on the right shoes. I have tried several court shoes and recently bought a pair of Sketchers (they make a dedicated pickleball shoe). I am looking forward to trying them out.

Excellent point regarding running backwards. We had two people fall trying to back pedal to get to a lobe. Both were seriously injured. One woman who put her hand back to break her fall broke the bone in her forearm. Her surgery included a metal rod and she was off the court for three months. As LadyGeek suggested, turn around and chase rather than running backwards. Pickleball is too much fun to be off the court nursing an injury; give up the point or side out (depending upon if you are serving or not) and keep playing.

Thank you for the reminders, LadyGeek.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

As an ex-tennis player, the scoring makes no sense.
No love, 15, 30 40, duece, or ad!
and it starts at 0-0-2? What is with that.
At least you rarely serve into your partner at the net ;)
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Zeno wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:44 pm I must be officially retired (or close to it) because this morning I played my first real pickleball matches after a few months of pretending by merely whacking the ball around aimlessly.

I stink. I don’t understand scoring or the serve rotation either. And to add insult to injury a guy who is 79 years old on the other team kept punishing me with killer serves and similar tactics. (I’m 58.) Had I passed the guy on the street otherwise I would have assumed he needed an oxygen tent and defibrillator just to stay alive. But turns out he is in much better shape than I. Humbling.

Still, it was a hoot and a delightful social outing with folks at a similar stage of life.
I occasionally play with/against an 83-year old woman who wears a helmet when she plays. It is a very deceptive tactic, as her serves largely are not returnable with the spin she places on the ball. She moves so well on the court one would think she is 58. Go figure!
Rick Ferri

Post by Rick Ferri »

VanGar+Goyle wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:20 am As an ex-tennis player, the scoring makes no sense.
Tennis players either love pickleball or hate it. There seems to be no middle ground. :confused
The Education of an Index Investor: born in darkness, finds indexing enlightenment, overcomplicates everything, embraces simplicity.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

I love and hate pickleball at the same time. Love that it is an easy accessible sport that allows millions to be active and social. Love the fast paced nature and how easy it is to make a stroke. Hate the scoring, hate the size of the court for doubles (great for singles), hate the no volley zone and "dinking". Fun activity that is a great way to get outsdoors and meet people. I will say though that I have not found it to be any better of an activity to meet people than other sports. I have met just as many folks playing golf, softball, tennis, etc.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

Zeno wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 8:44 pm I must be officially retired (or close to it) because this morning I played my first real pickleball matches after a few months of pretending by merely whacking the ball around aimlessly.

I stink. I don’t understand scoring or the serve rotation either. And to add insult to injury a guy who is 79 years old on the other team kept punishing me with killer serves and similar tactics. (I’m 58.) Had I passed the guy on the street otherwise I would have assumed he needed an oxygen tent and defibrillator just to stay alive. But turns out he is in much better shape than I. Humbling.

Still, it was a hoot and a delightful social outing with folks at a similar stage of life.
I would prefer the scoring to be just like tennis. I don't understand why you are not rewarded a point if you are returning serve (perhaps since it is an advantage as you get to the net faster when returning). Waiting for the ball to bounce once on each side is also odd.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

PhillyPhan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:31 pmhate the no volley zone
It wouldn't be much of a game without the no volley zone. Brilliant feature, IMHO!
Oh, noooooo! I'm so sorry, it's the moops! The correct answer is 'the moops'.
PhillyPhan

Post by PhillyPhan »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:39 pm
PhillyPhan wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:31 pmhate the no volley zone
It wouldn't be much of a game without the no volley zone. Brilliant feature, IMHO!
I think it would change the way people decide to approach their shots. Lobs would be more advantageous since the player would be 7 feet closer to the net.
VanGar+Goyle

Post by VanGar+Goyle »

Rick Ferri wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:43 am
VanGar+Goyle wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 11:20 am As an ex-tennis player, the scoring makes no sense.
Tennis players either love pickleball or hate it. There seems to be no middle ground. :confused
If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen :wink: