A time to EVALUATE your jitters

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Robin1234

Re: A time to EVALUATE your jitters

Post by Robin1234 »

I did not find that survey but found a related post viewtopic.php?t=366519
rhinOC

Post by rhinOC »

If anyone wants to short a stock, let me know. I’ll buy a share and it will immediately plummet. You’re welcome.
“Man who says it cannot be done should not interrupt man doing it.”
Robin1234

Post by Robin1234 »

manlymatt83 wrote: Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:20 am Somewhere at some point someone posted a link to a bunch of smart people who made predictions about the market in the past and were wrong over 50% of the time. Anyone have that handy?
I think you are looking for this https://www.lostoak.com/ls/diehards/contest/
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I have the jitters about Bogleheads (or "kinda" BH) who are considering selling their equity position and looking to stuff it in cash/mmf. Do you not understand how this thing works? Hint: buy low sell high!
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Archie Bunker

Post by Archie Bunker »

mickeyd wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 1:15 pm I have the jitters about Bogleheads (or "kinda" BH) who are considering selling their equity position and looking to stuff it in cash/mmf. Do you not understand how this thing works? Hint: buy low sell high!
I think even Buffett said something like "if you arent willing to hold a stock for 10 years, dont think about buying it to hold for 10 minutes".

Of course, Buffett doesnt buy and hold forever himself, and I think its fair to say his approach has outpaced the usual buy and hold index fund strategy by alot (I think its done 2x the S&P?), but the average (or even 99th percentile) investor just doesnt have that level of skill.