Ally offers 1% cash bonus on new deposits - up to $500 bonus

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
TravelGeek

Re: Ally offers 1% cash bonus on new deposits - up to $500 bonus

Post by TravelGeek »

Philly30 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:47 pm is it ok to open the NPCD now and transfer from my savings account
Have a look at the most recent posts just above yours. Same question.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

TravelGeek wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:04 pm
Philly30 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 6:47 pm is it ok to open the NPCD now and transfer from my savings account
I don't see anything on the last few posts that answers my question
sycamore

Post by sycamore »

Philly30 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:14 pm
TravelGeek wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 7:04 pm
I don't see anything on the last few posts that answers my question
Quoting myself (see below)... what do you think of that answer?

I understand you might want something more definitive but in that case you'll need to ask Ally not a bunch of Bogleheads 🙂
sycamore wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:04 pm ...
One of the conditions is:
Keep the new money in your account through 1/15/2023.
Your new money must remain in your eligible Ally Bank account through 1/15/2023. Keep in mind, any withdrawals made during this time may reduce your bonus.
There was a prior discussion here about transferring money to from one eligible account (like savings) to another eligible account (like a CD). There was concern about (1) whether the other account had to be opened by 10/26/2022, and (2) whether you could transfer money between those accounts and remain eligible for the bonus.

I'm playing it safe and will keep my money in my original account (savings) through 1/15/2023.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

That doesn't answer the question about opening a new NPCD
volstagg

Post by volstagg »

Philly30 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 8:38 pm That doesn't answer the question about opening a new NPCD
If you read this thread and what's been posted on other forums, the answer is clear. No one knows for sure. Ally has been inconsistent with their answers and this specific scenario isn't covered in the T&C's. Ask one rep the answer is no, ask another its yes.

I for one am not going to chance the $500 bonus by moving funds into a NPCD for 2 months. I'd rather lose 0.6% interest between now and 1/15/2023, then possibly lose the $500 bonus entirely on a technicality. To each his own, YMMV, etc, etc :) .
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

There seems to be enough confusion and questions over this, that I am not going to do it. What is the spread anyway? 60bps on $50,000 for 75 days? Seems like an extra $62.50. Not worth potentially losing $500. I agree it makes no sense they would not pay it (after all they were after the net increase of $50,000 and opening and moving the funds to a NP CD doesn't change that). But is it worth potentially losing the $500? Not to me.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

I asked the same question as phillip30 above.

Seems the consensus in this forum is to stay put, not to risk the bonus. Over in DoC comments, the trend seems to be “go for it” given that Ally provided an official response to the moderator there. Ultimately it is YMMV of course.

It is actually more than $60-ish difference if one has 2x accounts and $$ in savings before the bonus.

Guess what I would do is to wait for my own questions to be addressed by Ally in secure mail, so Ill have direct evidence in case there is dispute. Hope they catch up on the message backlog this weekend.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

BlackcatCA wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 1:02 pm Guess what I would do is to wait for my own questions to be addressed by Ally in secure mail, so Ill have direct evidence in case there is dispute. Hope they catch up on the message backlog this weekend.
That is my plan. I saw the reply DoC got from the media team, and it really wasn't very precise. And I don't want to rely on some vague statement some unknown person made to some blog if I later have to argue with Ally or get the CFPB involved. If Ally can't write comprehensive T&C, at the very least they should answer customer questions.
Invictus002

Post by Invictus002 »

Brought in $300k on 10/21/22 to an already existing Ally Savings account, but found out, I did not enroll in the promotion! I believe I have missed the deadline! My bad!
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Invictus002 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:27 pm Brought in $300k on 10/21/22 to an already existing Ally Savings account, but found out, I did not enroll in the promotion! I believe I have missed the deadline! My bad!
With $300k you can probably catch a few promos at different banks.
maywood

Post by maywood »

It took more than 2 weeks from the time I initiated the transfer, but today I got an email from Ally confirming that I had made the deposit to get my bonus. The email subject line was "You've reached the funding finish line"

Way to go! You moved your money, so let's talk about getting paid. To get your cash bonus, be sure to keep your money (both new and pre-existing) in your eligible Ally Bank Account(s) parked through 1/15/23, ....
anthro789

Post by anthro789 »

maywood wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:27 pm It took more than 2 weeks from the time I initiated the transfer, but today I got an email from Ally confirming that I had made the deposit to get my bonus. The email subject line was "You've reached the funding finish line"
That makes me feel a little bit better as I still haven't received the confirmation email and it will be two weeks tomorrow since I initiated the transfer. I hope they are just backlogged and my confirmation will be coming soon. There was no mention of the bonus in any of my emails.
bpg1234

Post by bpg1234 »

Ally Savings account rate update:

Update:
Your Online Savings Account rate is increasing from 2.50% to 2.75% Annual Percentage Yield (APY) on all balance tiers. Your new APY goes into effect on 11/09/2022, and will appear in your account on 11/10/2022.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

With the savings rate increased I don't think it makes sense to take the risk of opening a NPCD although that could increase also I guess
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Invictus002 wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 2:27 pm Brought in $300k on 10/21/22 to an already existing Ally Savings account, but found out, I did not enroll in the promotion! I believe I have missed the deadline! My bad!
I missed a $700 bonus by transferring out a week too soon so you aren't alone.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Finally received a reply via secure message.

For the record my question was:
I want to open a new CD (eligible account type) on 11/10/2022. I want to fund it with money I had moved into my Savings account prior to the funding deadline of 11/4/2020 (the Savings account is eligible and existed at the time of registering for the promo). Will this transfer from Savings into a new CD on 11/10/2022 count as a withdrawal that reduces the amount eligible for the promo?
and the reply:
Thank you for messaging in to Ally Bank. My name is Cassandra. I apologize for the delay in my response to your message and any inconvenience it may have caused. I would be happy to assist with your Cash Bonus Promo inquiry.

For the GETPAID Cash Bonus Promo, you can move money from one eligible account to another eligible account without impacting your bonus. I apologize for any confusion that has occurred.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

anthro789 wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:37 pm
maywood wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 4:27 pm It took more than 2 weeks from the time I initiated the transfer, but today I got an email from Ally confirming that I had made the deposit to get my bonus. The email subject line was "You've reached the funding finish line"
That makes me feel a little bit better as I still haven't received the confirmation email and it will be two weeks tomorrow since I initiated the transfer. I hope they are just backlogged and my confirmation will be coming soon. There was no mention of the bonus in any of my emails.
Been 2 weeks for me and no email
BlackcatCA

Post by BlackcatCA »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:42 pm Finally received a reply via secure message.

I want to open a new CD (eligible account type) on 11/10/2022. I want to fund it with money I had moved into my Savings account prior to the funding deadline of 11/4/2020 (the Savings account is eligible and existed at the time of registering for the promo). Will this transfer from Savings into a new CD on 11/10/2022 count as a withdrawal that reduces the amount eligible for the promo?
and the reply:
Thank you for messaging in to Ally Bank. My name is Cassandra. I apologize for the delay in my response to your message and any inconvenience it may have caused. I would be happy to assist with your Cash Bonus Promo inquiry.

For the GETPAID Cash Bonus Promo, you can move money from one eligible account to another eligible account without impacting your bonus. I apologize for any confusion that has occurred.
I also get a similar message from Ally responding to my questions. Moving among eligible accounts is OK. All these are consistent with what DoC reported.
So I moved my $$ to 2 NP CDs today, and I plan to keep the NP CDs at least thru 1/15.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

Still no email confirming my deposit and it has been well over 2 weeks.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Philly30 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:31 pm Still no email confirming my deposit and it has been well over 2 weeks.
I received two confirmation emails for my enrollment in the promo, but no confirmation of the deposit.
anthro789

Post by anthro789 »

TravelGeek wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 2:12 pm
Philly30 wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 12:31 pm Still no email confirming my deposit and it has been well over 2 weeks.
I received two confirmation emails for my enrollment in the promo, but no confirmation of the deposit.
No promo confirmation email for me either, going on 3 weeks.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

I just got them on record through chat that I deposited on time, I recommend eveyrone do that if you did not get the email
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Has anyone actually received an email confirming a qualifying deposit? My spouse and I both got emails confirming enrollment, but no email confirming qualifying deposits.
TwstdSista

Post by TwstdSista »

anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:44 pm Has anyone actually received an email confirming a qualifying deposit? My spouse and I both got emails confirming enrollment, but no email confirming qualifying deposits.
I did - the subject line was "You’ve reached the funding finish line"
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

TwstdSista wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:35 am
anon_investor wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:44 pm Has anyone actually received an email confirming a qualifying deposit? My spouse and I both got emails confirming enrollment, but no email confirming qualifying deposits.
Same
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Interesting, never received that email, but when I click on the link from the original enrollment email, it shows the funding step as checked off.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:37 am
Interesting, never received that email, but when I click on the link from the original enrollment email, it shows the funding step as checked off.
Can you explain what you are seeing? In my enrollment email there is a "move money" link when clicked brings me to my Ally log in page. When logged in, I don't see where I would look to see funding step being checked off.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

theplayer11 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:15 am
anon_investor wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 7:37 am
Can you explain what you are seeing? In my enrollment email there is a "move money" link when clicked brings me to my Ally log in page. When logged in, I don't see where I would look to see funding step being checked off.
I clicked on the enroll here link, but it looks like that is just checked off in general and not specific to my account, so I just sent a secure message asking for them to confirm my funds transfer qualified me for the promo.
anthro789

Post by anthro789 »

When I didn't receive the promo confirmation email from Ally, I called and spoke to a supervisor who opened a "ticket" about the issue and told me someone would research it and get back to me in 7-10 days. When I didn't hear from them after the 7-10 day period, I called and spoke to another supervisor who told me that they are not researching anything promo related until after the promo is over and the bonuses have been paid. He said there was a lot of confusion over there and a lot of calls regarding this promo offer. I asked what was the point of opening the ticket if they weren't going to actually look into it, and he said he didn't know, but they weren't doing that (opening tickets) anymore. Basically, their answer to me is wait and see if you get the bonus and if you don't, call back then. I'm curious if anyone else here didn't get even the promo confirmation email?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

anthro789 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:54 am When I didn't hear from them after the 7-10 day period, I called and spoke to another supervisor who told me that they are not researching anything promo related until after the promo is over and the bonuses have been paid. He said there was a lot of confusion over there and a lot of calls regarding this promo offer.
It’s as if they had never run a promo before. :oops:
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:39 pm
anthro789 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:54 am When I didn't hear from them after the 7-10 day period, I called and spoke to another supervisor who told me that they are not researching anything promo related until after the promo is over and the bonuses have been paid. He said there was a lot of confusion over there and a lot of calls regarding this promo offer.
It’s as if they had never run a promo before. :oops:
More like, they do not want to tell people "oh yeah you're not eligible" and have the person move the funds... until after the promo is over, and they can easily accomplish that by not researching anything until the promo ends
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

nalor511 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:51 pm
More like, they do not want to tell people "oh yeah you're not eligible" and have the person move the funds... until after the promo is over, and they can easily accomplish that by not researching anything until the promo ends
So their business plan is to have a bunch of p’ed off short term customers flooding the CFPB with complaints about them?
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:58 pm
nalor511 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:51 pm
So their business plan is to have a bunch of p’ed off short term customers flooding the CFPB with complaints about them?
Every dollar they don't pay out is a dollar to the bottom line.
mix

Post by mix »

I received the email confirmation "You’ve reached the funding finish line" on November 8th. I pushed $50k into my savings account from Fidelity on November 1st.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

mix wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:53 pm I received the email confirmation "You’ve reached the funding finish line" on November 8th. I pushed $50k into my savings account from Fidelity on November 1st.
I never got that email (similar to others).
I did get an email confirming I signed up and then have the account transactions in case I don't get my bonus. I seem to recall we had a similar discussion with the last bonus so I am not worried (they always paid my bonus in the past).

Marcus does this better - they have a mark on your account that states "promotion in process" or similar and when you click that link it gives you the details (date your bonus will be paid).
Last edited by SmileyFace on Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anthro789

Post by anthro789 »

mix wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:53 pm I received the email confirmation "You’ve reached the funding finish line" on November 8th. I pushed $50k into my savings account from Fidelity on November 1st.
Did you first receive the email confirming you had enrolled in the promo?
mix

Post by mix »

anthro789 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:58 pm Did you first receive the email confirming you had enrolled in the promo?
Yes. I received the "Good news: You're enrolled in the cash bonus" on October 12th. I also received "We’ve extended the cash bonus funding deadline to 11/4" on October 20th, "Our cash bonus offer ends on 11/4/22" on October 26th and "Our cash bonus offer ends on 11/4/22" on November 1st.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

I know some people get emails when the interest rate increases but I don't get those either
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Philly30 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 pm I know some people get emails when the interest rate increases but I don't get those either
I get those rate increase notices, received the initial signup message (twice), but not the funding msg.
Philly30

Post by Philly30 »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:55 pm
Philly30 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:51 pm I know some people get emails when the interest rate increases but I don't get those either
I get those rate increase notices, received the initial signup message (twice), but not the funding msg.
Was that just a duplicate email?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Philly30 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 9:12 pm Was that just a duplicate email?
Looks like it. 10/12/2022 and 10/14/2022.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

I sent a secure message to Ally to ask if they could confirm if my deposit qualified me for the bonus and they sent me a template email but didn't confirm:
Thank you for taking the time to contact Ally Bank. I am more than happy to assist you with your account inquiry and sorry for the delay in our response.

We are currently experiencing a higher-than-normal volume of emails and are working diligently to respond to everyone as quickly as possible. Please accept my apology, as this does not reflect the level of service we wish to provide to our customers.

Please be aware, you will receive an email confirmation once successfully enrolled using the promotional code and have until 10/26/2022 to complete the enrollment. Existing customers who enroll must do so using the email address listed on their Ally Bank customer profile. To ensure you able to receive these email alerts, please sign into your Ally Online Account, select Profile and Settings and select Personal Information to view the email address that is attached to your Ally profile.

After enrollment has been completed, you must move at least $1,000 in net new money from an account at another financial institution into an eligible Online Savings account, Money Market account, or new CD between the dates of 10/12/2022 through 11/04/2022. The funds received between these dates will be used in our calculations for the promotional bonus. However, the new funds you deposited into your eligible Online Savings account, Money Market account, or CD must remain through 01/15/2023. Unfortunately, we are unable to project your promotional bonus amount until the end of the retention date. I apologize for any inconveniences this may cause. Though you will receive 1% of net new funds, with a maximum of $500.00 for the bonus amount. Keep in mind that removing funds from an eligible Ally Bank Account before the retention date of 01/15/2023 could affect your cash bonus amount. Keep at least one Ally Bank account open and in good standing to receive your bonus on or by 02/15/2023.

We hope you and your family will remain safe in the best of health during this Worldwide Pandemic.

We appreciate your business and want to thank you for choosing Ally Bank. If you have any additional questions, we are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by phone, Live Chat, or Secure Messaging. Our toll-free number is 1-877-247-ALLY (2559), or you can visit us online at ally.com
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

TravelGeek wrote: Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:42 pm Finally received a reply via secure message.

and the reply:

Did they define somewhere that a NP CD opened after the funding deadline and funded with new funds moved into the savings account prior to the funding deadline is an "Eligible Account"?
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

MikeG62 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:42 am
Did they define somewhere that a NP CD opened after the funding deadline and funded with new funds moved into the savings account prior to the funding deadline is an "Eligible Account"?
No, I don’t think they did. That is exactly why I specified in my question that I would open the CD after the funding deadline.
MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 »

TravelGeek wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 10:25 am
MikeG62 wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:42 am
No, I don’t think they did. That is exactly why I specified in my question that I would open the CD after the funding deadline.
Yes, your question was clear. Their response was not.

They did not say in no uncertain terms that the newly opened NP CD was eligible. They simply said one could move funds between eligible accounts.

I don't know why they are being cute in their response. It is without doubt they wanted new money moved in and to the extent someone did that, what does it matter which account the funds sit in - as long as the funds remain at Ally? Why can't they say, "yes the NP CD is an eligible account".

Others in this thread have said Ally won't answer any more questions about the bonus until mid January.

This gives me pause to move the funds from my savings account (which I know is eligible) to a newly opened NP CD. What I will do is move the funds out the day after I meet the criteria in response for their being less than transparent and forthcoming.
chillwill120

Post by chillwill120 »

I spoke to an Ally rep on the phone a few weeks ago and I was informed during a recorded conversation, in no uncertain times, after the rep had conferred with a manager, that I would be able to move money back and forth between NP CDs and the online savings account and still be eligible for the promotion.
RCL

Post by RCL »

Now that the November statements are out, does anyone see any evidence of the bonus deal indicated on their statement?