4% back no fee Visa debit card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
czaj

Re: 4% back no fee Visa debit card

Post by czaj »

frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:42 am Now coinbase is putting an 8-day lock on ACH transafer :(

Imagefree img upload
My Coinbase account is back to allowing instant $1k, so I think it depends on a variety of factors. They use plaid so I believe they can see your balance and activity from your account. Do you have a large cash balance in the non-Coinbase account?
czaj

Post by czaj »

patrick wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:57 pm
frugalor wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:52 pm
nalor511 wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:40 pm
frugalor wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:28 am
frugalor wrote: Tue Nov 15, 2022 11:25 am

same here
Then adding $100 was successful. After that, adding money requires 7-day hold.
Are you saying the $1000/day/instant limit is now $100/day/instant?

The 4% reward that expired yesterday was (today) replaced with all 1% rewards for me
I tried to ACH money in today. Even $100 has 7 day hold. On top of that, the reward for my $1000 payment on 11/14 is still pending. while the rewards on my $100 payment on 11/15 has been paid. There is something strange going on with coinbase.

Does anyone know of an alternative cashback debit card that can be used with paypal for cashback/rewards?
Enzo is the only one I know. They give 1% cashback but it doesn't work with all cards:

YES: Citi via their phone system, US Bank via Paypal, Target via Paypal
FAIL: Chase via Paypal, Discover via Paypal
Any idea on BoA or Amex via PayPal? I’ll be trying a test payment if not.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

czaj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:31 pm
frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:42 am Now coinbase is putting an 8-day lock on ACH transafer :(

Imagefree img upload
My Coinbase account is back to allowing instant $1k, so I think it depends on a variety of factors. They use plaid so I believe they can see your balance and activity from your account. Do you have a large cash balance in the non-Coinbase account?
Which bank are you using? I use Sofi and it used to work instantly until Sofi screwed up a couple days ago. Not sure if it's related.
czaj

Post by czaj »

frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:48 pm
czaj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:31 pm

Imagefree img upload
Which bank are you using? I use Sofi and it used to work instantly until Sofi screwed up a couple days ago. Not sure if it's related.
Schwab.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

JoMoney wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:36 am
frugalor wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 10:21 am I continue to get a 7-day lock on coinbase deposits.

I wonder if the cash deposits are FDIC insured...
https://www.coinbase.com/legal/insurance
... Coinbase is not an FDIC-insured bank and digital currency is not insured or guaranteed by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (“FDIC”) or Securities Investor Protection Corporation (“SIPC”), and may lose value. In case of a covered security event, we will endeavor to make you whole; however, total losses may exceed insurance recoveries so funds may still be at risk...
To the extent your customer funds are held as cash, they are maintained in pooled custodial accounts at one or more banks insured by the FDIC. Our custodial accounts have been established in a manner to make pass-through FDIC insurance available up to the per-depositor coverage limit then in place (currently $250,000 per individual). FDIC pass-through insurance protects funds held on behalf of a Coinbase customer against the risk of loss should any FDIC-insured bank(s) where we maintain custodial accounts fail. FDIC insurance coverage is contingent upon Coinbase maintaining accurate records and on determinations of the FDIC as receiver at the time of a receivership of a bank holding a custodial account...
Emphasis added
USD is FDIC, USDC is not.
patrick

Post by patrick »

czaj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:39 pm
patrick wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:57 pm Enzo is the only one I know. They give 1% cashback but it doesn't work with all cards:

Neither one works according according to the comments at https://www.doctorofcredit.com/enzo-ear ... uber-more/
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

frugalor wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 11:40 am
MrJedi wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 6:40 pm I use Enzo too. They do give you a direct routing number and account number that belongs to Blue Ridge Bank.

I've gotten the 1% paying off credit cards via paypal on my AOD credit card (small CU card) along with US Bank via PayPal and Citi via phone. That at least covers most of my credit card usage at least other than sign up bonus chasing cards
I just emailed Enzo support. They said the paypal transaction is not a debit card transaction:

Yeah not all work. It depends on how it gets run. For me paying AODFCU and US Bank work via PayPal. Chase and Discover do not work via PayPal in my experience. Citi does not work via PayPal but does work via phone.
czaj

Post by czaj »

patrick wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:54 pm
czaj wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 1:39 pm
patrick wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 3:57 pm Enzo is the only one I know. They give 1% cashback but it doesn't work with all cards:

Neither one works according according to the comments at https://www.doctorofcredit.com/enzo-ear ... uber-more/
Appreciate it. Thanks for the resource!
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

MrJedi wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 3:10 pm
Yeah not all work. It depends on how it gets run. For me paying AODFCU and US Bank work via PayPal. Chase and Discover do not work via PayPal in my experience. Citi does not work via PayPal but does work via phone.
Confirmed US Bank works. The app itself says "Cashback is eligible on this card purchase".
patrick

Post by patrick »

I looked around a bit and found a few other debit cards paying cryptocurrency rewards. They don't seem as good as the Coinbase card used to be, but nonetheless here they are:

Crypto.com - 5% in CRO but credit card and tax payments are excluded. As you might have suspected, there is a big catch here. You have to buy $400,000 of CRO and hold it for six months to qualify for the 5% rate. You can get 3% rewards with a smaller holding but that is the same rate you get with Citi Double Cash plus Enzo.

Uphold - 4% in XRP but credit card and tax payments are excluded. The only catch I've seen here is a monthly cap. You can get a maximum of $50 in rewards per month, corresponding to $1250 in purchases. The best case scenario compared to Citi Double Cash plus Enzo is $12.50 per month in extra rewards, and in my case it would be less because I usually have under $1250 per month in non-bonus-category card spending.

Fold - Random rewards in bitcoin and credit card payments are included. The reward is chosen randomly for each purchase from various options. The expected value is not a simple percentage back because event though most of the options are a percentage of the purchase, it is also possible to get a fixed reward value, an amount based on total purchases over the last month, or the chance to re-randomize the rewards on a different purchase. The presence of some rewards not a percentage of the purchase makes it seem like the best expected value is from lots of small purchases, though there is apparently a 15 purchase per day limit and I haven't calculated through all the details.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

And now my 5 to 8 day locks are gone. Transfers are instant again. Very strange.
frugalor

Post by frugalor »

Coinbase provides a routing number and an account number for direct deposit. Has anyone tried pushing money from an external account into the coinbase account using their routing number and account number?