BOGLEHEADS 9 ANNOUNCEMENT

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

BOGLEHEADS 9 ANNOUNCEMENT

Post by Mel Lindauer »

We completely sold out in less than a month. In fact, we had more people register and pay than we could handle, so some of the folks whose paperwork arrived after we reached our maximum capacity will not be able to attend this year. Perhaps next year.

Hello Everyone:

We are pleased to announce that our 2010 National Bogleheads Reunion (Bogleheads 9) will be held in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania with registration and reception starting at 2PM on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 and ending around noon on Friday, October 15, 2010. Airport to hotel transportation options will be provided to registrants.

Our special guest for Bogleheads 9 is our friend and mentor, Jack Bogle (health permitting). Jack plans to attend specifically to meet with his Bogleheads, so this is a unique and rare opportunity. Other investing authorities expected to attend are authors Bill Bernstein, Rick Ferri, Bill Schultheis, Taylor Larimore, Mel Lindauer and our own “Queen” Laura Dogu. In addition to the Boglehead authors, our Q&A Panel of Experts will also include Professor Ed Tower of Duke University’s Economics Department.

We'll start with a wine and cheese reception with Jack Bogle on Wednesday afternoon. After breakfast on Thursday morning, we’ll meet with Jack Bogle again for some words of wisdom and an extended Q&A session. After lunch, there will be book signings and personal discussions with Jack and our authors and experts. Then on Thursday evening, we’ll have a special treat: a visit to Vanguard with Jack Bogle. Finally, we'll wrap up the reunion around noon on Friday after breakfast and a Q&A session with the Panel of Experts.

The registration fee for this meeting is US$225 per person. This non-refundable fee covers the wine and cheese reception on Wednesday, breakfast, lunch, break snacks, and dinner on Thursday, breakfast on Friday, and the meeting room rental and audio equipment that we need for the various functions. Transportation to and from Vanguard is also included.

Registration is now open. Due to the conference room size, we have to limit the number of attendees this year, so the registration will be on a first-come basis. We suggest that you make your reservation early and send in your registration fee right away to ensure getting one of the available spots.

To make your reservation for the meeting, please send an email with your Boglehead and/or Morningstar login name, your real name, and your contact information to Bogleheads9@yahoo.com ASAP. Please include the words “BH9 registration form request” in the subject title so we’ll know immediately what it’s in reference to.

Paul Globerson of the San Diego Diehards Chapter, who is one of the coordinators for this event (along with Ed Rager of the DC Chapter and Gail Cox of the Dallas Chapter) will respond via email with details, starting on April 2nd, regarding where to send your non-refundable registration fee. Once your payment is received, Paul will advise registered Bogleheads on the procedure for reserving a room at our preferred conference hotel at the discounted rate of $129 per night single and $144 per night double (both plus 8% tax). The hotel will hold a limited number of rooms for us at this special rate, so we suggest you make your reservations as soon as you receive the hotel booking information. Our block of hotel rooms sold out quickly last year, and those who registered later had to pay a higher rate. This special room rate is available for three days prior to, and three days after our event for those who want to spend additional time visiting the historic Philadelphia area.

We look forward to another exciting event.

Mel, Taylor, Ed Rager, Paul Globerson and Gail Cox
Last edited by Mel Lindauer on Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 am, edited 5 times in total.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Dear organizers,

Thank you for all your efforts! I sent my request a few minutes ago.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The announcement is now on the "Bogleheads Happenings" wiki main page. Count me in.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Cyberdaisy

Post by Cyberdaisy »

Thanks to all you experienced organizers for pulling this together....Gail must feel as if she just finished in Dallas...was that ever a great reunion!

We just bought a second home in Vt (as Taylor says another "house that Jack built") and as difficult as it is to come south at the height of the "colors" season, I wouldn't miss this reunion for anything!! Looking forward so seeing all the Diehards/Bogleheads again...I remember the details of our last reunion in Valley Forge at Vanguard as if it were yesterday....

Claudia
Plan for the future but live for today.
Kathleen Ryan

Bogleheads 9

Post by Kathleen Ryan »

Dear Mel, Taylor, Gail, Paul, and Ed,

Thank you all for planning Bogleheads 9 for us. 8) I can't wait to see everyone again. I e-mailed my contact information so I will be sure to be included.

Philadelphia, here we come!

With best wishes to you all,
Kathleen
AustinJohn

Post by AustinJohn »

Count us (John and Therese) in. Bogleheads8 was an event to remember!
shawcroft

Onward to BH9!!

Post by shawcroft »

we will be there "if the Good Lord be willin' and the creek don't rise!"
Shawcroft

PS...exactly what did WC Fields say about spending a week in Philadelphia?
Rager1

Re: Onward to BH9!!

Post by Rager1 »

shawcroft wrote:we will be there "if the Good Lord be willin' and the creek don't rise!"
Shawcroft

PS...exactly what did WC Fields say about spending a week in Philadelphia?
I believe the quote is from his tombstone...."Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia".

Ed
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

October should be a beautiful time to be in Philly! Cant wait to meet new Bogleheads and reconnect with old friends!

gail
donecc

october meeting

Post by donecc »

from don eremin, ny chapter.

where in the philly area is the meeting hotel?

looking forward to the meeting.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: october meeting

Post by Mel Lindauer »

donecc wrote:from don eremin, ny chapter.

where in the philly area is the meeting hotel?

looking forward to the meeting.
You'll get the hotel information and how to go about getting our special rate after you've registered and paid.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

We've had a great initial response -- over 50 people have reserved spots already and it's been less than 24 hours. Looks like we'll probably fill up again this year.
frederickj

bogelhead9 reunion

Post by frederickj »

please put me down
been waiting for the announcement and really looking forward to it
last year's was great

so glad it's on and the program is a winner

and happy that I'll see all the usual suspects

frederickj ( the Gregory Peck guy )
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: bogelhead9 reunion

Post by Mel Lindauer »

frederickj wrote:please put me down
been waiting for the announcement and really looking forward to it
last year's was great

so glad it's on and the program is a winner

and happy that I'll see all the usual suspects

frederickj ( the Gregory Peck guy )
Make sure you follow the directions in the announcement and send an e-mail with the requested information to Bogleheads9@yahoo.com in order to reserve your spot, frederickj.
normsie

Post by normsie »

hi all,

been waiting for this and can't wait to see everyone again.we pray that jack's health will be fine. it's good that he won't have to travel far.hope to get my son,mark to go with me this time.

norma ann
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Normsie,
It will be great to see you again! What does this make? Your 7th reunion? Get your stuff in quick---with BH 9 being in Philadelphia, it is sure to sell out! gail
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

A real nice mix so far. Lots of familiar names and faces on this thread (Gail, Normsie, Ed & Patti Rager, Kathleen Ryan, Claudia and Victoria).

And then we have some new names such as Lady Geek, shawcroft, donecc, frederickj who've posted in this thread.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones in Philly in Oct.
stratton

Post by stratton »

Just as long as you tell us where to get some decent Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. :wink:

Paul
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

AND Cheesecake made with Philadelphia Cream Cheese! Yum!
haban01

Vanguard here we come!!

Post by haban01 »

Thanks Mel, Taylor, Ed, Gail, and Paul for your tireless efforts in putting this event together!!

I sent in my e-mail and are looking forward to the trip!

I'm hoping some Bogleheads may want to tour the NCC with I believe is in Philli as well!!
Eric | | "Stay the Course" | "Press on Regardless"
Daisy Dog

Post by Daisy Dog »

I am so pleased I can attend this upcoming reunion, and am so looking forward to seeing everyone again.

I emailed my info and as soon as I hear from Paul, my check will be in the mail.

Daisy Dog (Sherrie)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

stratton wrote:Just as long as you tell us where to get some decent Philly Cheesesteak sandwiches. :wink:

Paul
Ahh, the famous Philly cheesesteak wars! There are two places that are considered to be the very best by true Philly cheesesteak aficionados -- Pat's and Geno's. Both are in South Philly (the only place to get a REAL Philly cheesesteak) and they're located near each other. Some folks swear by Pat's and others by Geno's and it's a fierce rivalry. Fans of each place are so loyal to their favorite that it would considered sacrilege to eat one of the competitor's cheesesteaks.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mel Lindauer wrote:Ahh, the famous Philly cheesesteak wars! There are two places that are considered to be the very best by true Philly cheesesteak aficionados -- Pat's and Geno's. Both are in South Philly (the only place to get a REAL Philly cheesesteak) and they're located near each other.
Hi Mel,

How close are these places to the meeting hotel?

(I understand that the specific hotel details will be available only upon successful registration. My question is about general locations, e.g., are they withing a walking distance from the conference?)

Thank you,
Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Re: Vanguard here we come!!

Post by Mel Lindauer »

haban01 wrote:Thanks Mel, Taylor, Ed, Gail, and Paul for your tireless efforts in putting this event together!!

I'm hoping some Bogleheads may want to tour the NCC with I believe is in Philli as well!!
Hi Eric:

Glad to hear you'll be joining us again this year.

(For those who don't know, Eric is "Eric Early" in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.)
southerndoc

Post by southerndoc »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
haban01 wrote:Thanks Mel, Taylor, Ed, Gail, and Paul for your tireless efforts in putting this event together!!

Hi Eric:

(For those who don't know, Eric is "Eric Early" in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing.)
I thought this was directed at me. (sigh)

Looking forward to meeting many of you!
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Daisy Dog wrote:I am so pleased I can attend this upcoming reunion, and am so looking forward to seeing everyone again.

I emailed my info and as soon as I hear from Paul, my check will be in the mail.

Daisy Dog (Sherrie)
Hi Sherrie:

Looking forward to seeing you again this year in Philly.

(For those who don't know, Sherrie was our local coordinator for our Denver reunion in 2004.)

Say hi to Chris for me.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

southerndoc wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:

Hi Eric:

I thought this was directed at me. (sigh)

Looking forward to meeting many of you!
If the advice worked for you, Eric, then it did its job. Eric Early was actually based on Eric Haban, but it was intended for ALL younger investors, whether they were named "Eric" or not.

Looking forward to seeing you in Philly.
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Looking forward to No. 9!

And to sampling the cheese steak competitors.

To visiting Vanguard and listening to Jack.

To seeing friends and kindred spirits, and exploring a little bit of Philly.

Thanks very much to the organizers.

Ave
(Life is good, appreciate every day! Simplicity in investing works for me.)
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

avram53 wrote:Looking forward to No. 9!

And to sampling the cheese steak competitors.

To visiting Vanguard and listening to Jack.

To seeing friends and kindred spirits, and exploring a little bit of Philly.

Thanks very much to the organizers.

Ave
Ave,

Looking forward to seeing you again this year in Philly.

Ed
HarryD

Post by HarryD »

Is this meeting something a new Boglehead could participate in? Is it more of an open forum or will there be presentations? Or both?

It sounds like a great opportunity to meet and learn from many of you. Plus I love cheesesteak....
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

VictoriaF wrote:
Mel Lindauer wrote:Ahh, the famous Philly cheesesteak wars! There are two places that are considered to be the very best by true Philly cheesesteak aficionados -- Pat's and Geno's. Both are in South Philly (the only place to get a REAL Philly cheesesteak) and they're located near each other.
Hi Mel,

How close are these places to the meeting hotel?

(I understand that the specific hotel details will be available only upon successful registration. My question is about general locations, e.g., are they withing a walking distance from the conference?)

Thank you,
Victoria
Hi Victoria:

Sorry to say they're in South Philly which is not within walking distance.
family_doc

Philly bound!

Post by family_doc »

Dear Mel, Taylor, Paul and Linda, Ed and Patti, Eric, Gail, Ave, Victoria, and all former friends,

Rose and I have sent in our e-mail reply indicating our desire to attend Bogleheads IV as well as all of you. It will be nice to meet again with friends that we've made over the years.

Since Rose and I live in the Pittsburgh area, we will likely intend to drive into Philadelphia and stay. It is only about five hours for us.

Reading over the recent responses, it appears that a cheese steak sojourn may be in the offing. Back in the ancient days, in the mid-1970s, I trained in Center City Philadelphia and spent four years there. I am familiar with the historic area, especially around Independence Hall, the US Mint, the Constitutional Center, and the Liberty Bell. I'm also familiar with the Reading Terminal Market, Center City, the Italian market around Christian St. Rose and I have had a cheese steak at Pat's, as well as Jim's at 4th and South. Both were delicious! I can perhaps offer some assistance in seeing some other areas of Philadelphia. The Art Museum is cool, Rittenhouse Square is a nice urban area, there's lots of shopping in Center City Philadelphia around Broad Street, and Philadelphia is known as a haven for foodies. I will have to refresh myself need the Internet to see what is new and upcoming, but there are few places I've been in the past that may still be there that would be interesting. They're also two places on South Street that offer a fine cheese steak, Jim's at 4th and South and Ishkabbile’s at 3rd and South. Who knows, we may have to do a Boglehead comparison!

Rose and I would certainly like to volunteer our services, as we've done in the past. Once we get to Philadelphia, if any of you all would like some assistance from me in getting around the city, taking a walking tour, as time permits, using public transportation, or visiting some of these areas or others, I would be glad to help. I might also be up for a late night cheese steak run to Pat's or Geno's. Reminds me of a similar run in New Orleans to Cafe du Monde, for cafe au lait and beignets, for people who have been there.

In any case, it should be fun to attend. Looking forward to seeing everybody again!

With kindest regards,

family_doc
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

HarryD wrote:Is this meeting something a new Boglehead could participate in? Is it more of an open forum or will there be presentations? Or both?

It sounds like a great opportunity to meet and learn from many of you. Plus I love cheesesteak....
New Bogleheads and returning Bogleheads always have a great time sharing experiences with each other and discussing topics of interest.

There is ample opportunity to mingle with the experts and get their take on what is happening in the investing world. And of course, spending time with Jack Bogle is indescribable!

I've never spoken to anyone at a Boglehead meeting who was disappointed that they attended.

Ed
speedbump101

Post by speedbump101 »

Looks like a great gathering shaping up... We're looking forward to our second Diehard's event... If it's half the fun of our first (San Diego) we'll be more than satisfied... Even better if Victoria is successful in tracking down the Nation's best cheese steak joint!

SB...
"Man is not a rational animal, he is a rationalizing animal" -Robert A. Heinlein
gailcox

Post by gailcox »

Hi everyone!

I was one of the coordinators of BH 8 in Fort Worth. Almost half of our attendees were first timers! This event is open to those who embrace the Bogle/Vanguard philosophy of investing---doesnt matter if you have ever attended or not. It is kind of crazy when you tell your family and friends you are travelling across the US for 3days to meet up with a bunch of people you only know thru the internet, but its all good!! So if youre sitting on the fence about going, I encourage you to take the plunge and request your registration form! You will be glad you did!!! If there are any Bogleheads that have attended a reunion reading this and you would like to leave your comments on your experience, feel free to! Your comments may help someone decide to attend!

Cant wait till October and to have *my own* Philly Cheesecake!

gail
Bob B

Post by Bob B »

I hope the organizers bought a block of seats at Citizen's Bank Park for the World Series. The timing should be about right.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki
Taylor Larimore

What it's like to attend a Boglehead Reunion

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Bogleheads:

Jason Zweig, award winning columnist for the Wall Street Journal, wrote this article describing what it is like to attend a Bogleheads' Reunion:

HERE COME THE BOGLEHEADS!

Pat and I hope to see you there.
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

The response to the announcement has been overwhelming. In the first 48 hours, we heard from close to 100 folks who wanted to make reservations, and the e-mails continue to come in. Looks like we'll be sold out earlier than usual this year. If you're thinking of coming, I would advise you not to procrastinate.

Looking forward to seeing both old friends and new Bogleheads in Philly in Oct.
avram53

Post by avram53 »

I wonder if the Philly location made a difference in the quick response?
I know it did for me.

This is good news.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

avram53 wrote:I wonder if the Philly location made a difference in the quick response?
I know it did for me.

This is good news.
I'm sure the Philly location made it convenient for a large number of Bogleheads from Philly, DC, NJ and NY. However, we've already heard from folks from CA, Las Vegas, Oregon and everywhere in between. And we also have three Canadians who plan to come, including one from the west coast of Canada.

Looks like it's going to be a good mix and we'll probably sell out long before the event (we already have over 100 who've responded).

Looking forward to seeing you again in Philly, Ave.
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

We've received several emails asking when the registration form will be sent out.

We're in the process of putting a distribution list together and will be sending it out on Friday, April 2. We're looking forward to another great meeting.

Ed
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Rager1 wrote:We've received several emails asking when the registration form will be sent out.

We're in the process of putting a distribution list together and will be sending it out on Friday, April 2. We're looking forward to another great meeting.

Ed
And be sure to check your "SPAM" and "Junk" folders just in case our e-mail gets blocked by your provider.
552BB

Post by 552BB »

Hello,

This is my first ever post. I have been lurking for years now, but never posted.

I am a big fan of John Bogle and his investment philosophy. I have decided that the time has come to meet the person I consider my investment mentor and a hero to the investment community.

I am hoping to register for the BOGLEHEADS 9 and meet Mr. bogle and many others. I also look forward to meeting many new people and making new friends.

Sincerely
Don French
Rager1

Post by Rager1 »

552BB wrote:Hello,

This is my first ever post. I have been lurking for years now, but never posted.

I am a big fan of John Bogle and his investment philosophy. I have decided that the time has come to meet the person I consider my investment mentor and a hero to the investment community.

I am hoping to register for the BOGLEHEADS 9 and meet Mr. bogle and many others. I also look forward to meeting many new people and making new friends.

Sincerely
Don French
Hi Don,

To get information on registering for the Bogleheads 9 meeting, send an email to: bogleheads9@yahoo.com

Make sure to include Bogleheads 9 in the subject line. Registration information will be sent out on Friday, April 2.

Ed
Taylor Larimore

First post

Hi Don:

Welcome to the Bogleheads Forum!

I am looking forward to meeting you at Bogleheads 9. I'm sure others feel the same.

For what it is worth, I never heard anyone say they regret attending. For many, including me, it is the experience of a lifetime.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Wanted to provide everyone with an update and a warning. The response so far has been really great. The reservation forms will be going out to everyone who requested them tommorrow, so be on the lookout for them.

And, if everyone who requested a reservation form sends it in and pays, there are only about 20 spots left before we're sold out. And more reservation requests continue to come in, so the number may be less than 20 by the time you read this.

Don't say I didn't give you fair warning!
avram53

Post by avram53 »

Very impressive response.
Topic Author
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

avram53 wrote:Very impressive response.
The response sure has been impressive, Ave. This could turn out to be the fastest sellout in the history of our events if the requests keeps coming in at this pace.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Mel Lindauer wrote:
avram53 wrote:Very impressive response.
The response sure has been impressive, Ave. This could turn out to be the fastest sellout in the history of our events if the requests keeps coming in at this pace.
I hope Mr. Bogle is reading this!

Victoria
Taylor Larimore

Victoria's contribution

Hi Victoria:

I am glad YOU are reading this. I cannot forget last year in Texas how you sat at the front table the entire time diligently taking notes which are now the best account of Boglehead 8.