Global Entry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Iporante

Global Entry

Post by Iporante »

The Global Entry lines have been slower than the regular citizen lines on my 3 returns to ATL in 2022. Is anyone else experiencing this?
bob60014

Re: Global Entry

Post by bob60014 »

Can't answer about ATL, but we just returned from Paris and were through the GE line at ORD in less than 5 minutes. There were 4-5 other flights arriving at the same time too.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

Iporante wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:52 pm The Global Entry lines have been slower than the regular citizen lines on my 3 returns to ATL in 2022. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Not at other airports for me (EWR, SEA).
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

Just did dfw not long ago and I barely broke stride
There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your Expected Returns
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

ScubaHogg wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:24 pm Just did dfw not long ago and I barely broke stride
same here on Monday.
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

Came back into the US from Paris through Detroit this past July, the stop to let the Global Entry kiosk scan my face barely slowed me down.

That being said, I have seen long lines before at the Customs & Border Patrol offices of people coming into the country and trying to sign up for Global Entry. But I've never seen a long slow-up at a Global Entry queue to enter the country.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Recently returned from Iceland and the TSA machine at ORD was 1 minutes wait and another minutes to scan my face and was done.
Artful Dodger

Post by Artful Dodger »

Just returned from Italy into Charlotte, NC on American. No wait at Global Entry kiosks. Lots of people in line for regular customs and entry.
TomWambsgans

Post by TomWambsgans »

Went through SFO and the Global Entry was both less crowded and even faster than I'm accustomed to--it was almost creepy. There have been system updates (since the last time I used it) to use facial recognition and the whole thing was fast.
Workaholic

Post by Workaholic »

Iporante wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:52 pm The Global Entry lines have been slower than the regular citizen lines on my 3 returns to ATL in 2022. Is anyone else experiencing this?
Must’ve been an anomaly. Couple months ago coming into ATL from Europe and the global entry kiosks were deserted. Took less than a minute.

Regular customs lines looked to be quite long.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Hard to tell at my airport (ORD). The Global Entry lines are shorter, but have way less TSA agents. The Global Entry lines move quicker (experienced travelers, fewer kids, etc.), but overall it can go either way based on staffing. Are you sure they are really slower? Did you have a travel companion go in the regular while you went in the Global Entry?

If anyone knows (too minute to create a separate thread)....I booked a flight on Air Portugal and I don't see anywhere online to provide a Known Traveler (Global Entry) number. There was a redress number, but I think that is different (watch list). Given the wait times, probably not worth calling them about it.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

No wait at all when we went through LAX last month with the new facial recognition system.
In June there were a lot of malfunctioning machines at IAD. Possibly they were in the middle of doing the facial recognition upgrade.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 pm Hard to tell at my airport (ORD). The Global Entry lines are shorter, but have way less TSA agents. The Global Entry lines move quicker (experienced travelers, fewer kids, etc.), but overall it can go either way based on staffing...
GE at ORD does not require you to see a TSA agent, so I don't know what you mean. Machine looks at your face, you collect your pass, you are through. Of course there is a Customs person at the exit, but there is no separate GE line for that.

PS Possibly you are talking about PreCheck, not Global Entry.
Last edited by Chuckles960 on Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Chuckles960 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:31 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 pm Hard to tell at my airport (ORD). The Global Entry lines are shorter, but have way less TSA agents. The Global Entry lines move quicker (experienced travelers, fewer kids, etc.), but overall it can go either way based on staffing...
GE at ORD does not require you to see a TSA agent, so I don't know what you mean. Machine looks at your face, you collect your pass, you are through. Of course there is a Customs person at the exit, but there is no separate GE line for that.

PS Possibly you talking about PreCheck, not Global Entry.
You're right..I was thinking about the PreCheck I get with my Global Entry.
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 pm
If anyone knows (too minute to create a separate thread)....I booked a flight on Air Portugal and I don't see anywhere online to provide a Known Traveler (Global Entry) number. There was a redress number, but I think that is different (watch list). Given the wait times, probably not worth calling them about it.
Presumably you want to provide it for PreCheck?

No personal experience, but this might help:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air ... ation.html
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

TravelGeek wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:52 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:56 pm
Presumably you want to provide it for PreCheck?

No personal experience, but this might help:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/tap-air ... ation.html
Great. Thanks
Topic Author
Iporante

Post by Iporante »

I think your point is that CBP does immigration/customs and there is no TSA security check upon arrival from outside the country, but @michael meant CBP. GE at ATL requires you first go to the kiosk for a facial recognition scan, then stand in line to stand in front of another camera by a CBP agent. In most cases, the agent looks at you and looks at the screen and says “next“. In some cases, things don’t go smoothly and the line stops for a bit.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

Iporante wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:17 pm

I think your point is that CBP does immigration/customs and there is no TSA security check upon arrival from outside the country, but @michael meant CBP. GE at ATL requires you first go to the kiosk for a facial recognition scan, then stand in line to stand in front of another camera by a CBP agent. In most cases, the agent looks at you and looks at the screen and says “next“. In some cases, things don’t go smoothly and the line stops for a bit.
As stated above, at ORD "Machine looks at your face, you collect your pass, you are through." GE at ORD does not require you to see a CBP agent, except the Customs line after collecting luggage.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

I have found that the Mobile Passport app (free!) to be at least as fast as Global Entry.

If you are among the first through baggage claim (maybe you didn't check a bag) and there are no other flights arriving in front of you to create a queue, there isn't much benefit to either, you just stroll through and out the door.
Topic Author
Iporante

Post by Iporante »

Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:45 pm As stated above, at ORD "Machine looks at your face, you collect your pass, you are through." GE at ORD does not require you to see a CBP agent, except the Customs line after collecting luggage.
I hear you. My intent was to explain what I think michael meant when he wrote "TSA" and describe the process in ATL.
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I've had no wait for GE on the last few international trips. Pre-Check is a different story. Everyone and their mother has pre-check now through credit cards, so the lines are often longer than the non-precheck lines.
oxothuk

Post by oxothuk »

NYCaviator wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:02 am I've had no wait for GE on the last few international trips. Pre-Check is a different story. Everyone and their mother has pre-check now through credit cards, so the lines are often longer than the non-precheck lines.
One would think that TSA could adjust the allocation of lines/agents between Pre-Check and Standard if the fraction of flyers with Pre-Check has changed. Especially given that Pre-Check flyers require less work/screening on their part.

One would think....
runningshoes

Post by runningshoes »

Chuckles960 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:45 pm
Iporante wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:17 pm

As stated above, at ORD "Machine looks at your face, you collect your pass, you are through." GE at ORD does not require you to see a CBP agent, except the Customs line after collecting luggage.
You are correct but when ORD first installed the new system (April/May I think) they had a person right by the machines verifying that the image was captured correctly and handing you off to the agent providing the pass. I don't think this process lasted more than a few weeks.
gohawks206

Post by gohawks206 »

Not my experience, flew back home to SEA after a vacation in Europe and blew past at least 200, likely closer to 300, people.
If a man knows not to which port he sails, no wind is favorable.
Case59

Post by Case59 »

I've only used MPC and its predecessor for years, and never had a problem. It's hasn't been clear to me what the advantage of GE is.
"Most quotations on the internet are incorrect."-Mark Twain
boglegirl

Post by boglegirl »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:40 pm
Chuckles960 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:31 pm ...
I've noticed that PreCheck lines have gotten to be as long/longer than the regular lines. But the line usually moves very fast, and I strongly prefer not to remove my shoes, take out my electronics and liquids bag, and go through the scanner in the regular line. So I go to the preCheck line no matter what. And when we flew last month I complained to my husband "this line is so LOOONG" and then we got through it in 6 minutes flat. :mrgreen: So it was no big deal.
Topic Author
Iporante

Post by Iporante »

Case59 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:35 pm I've only used MPC and its predecessor for years, and never had a problem. It's hasn't been clear to me what the advantage of GE is.
I used to love MPC. I got GE in 2020 ( :oops: ) after several returns to ATL where the MPC process wasn't working and my colleagues with GE were long gone by the time I cleared CBP.
shuchong

Post by shuchong »

criticalmass wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:59 pm I have found that the Mobile Passport app (free!) to be at least as fast as Global Entry.

If you are among the first through baggage claim (maybe you didn't check a bag) and there are no other flights arriving in front of you to create a queue, there isn't much benefit to either, you just stroll through and out the door.
I've also found Mobile Passport to be just as quick. I use it mainly at JFK.
Rex66

Post by Rex66 »

Just looked into GE

Next available appointment is June
That’s Atlanta not a small town where I could expect such a wait

I guess I won’t get it
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

boglegirl wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:46 pm
I've noticed that PreCheck lines have gotten to be as long/longer than the regular lines. But the line usually moves very fast, and I strongly prefer not to remove my shoes, take out my electronics and liquids bag, and go through the scanner in the regular line. So I go to the preCheck line no matter what. And when we flew last month I complained to my husband "this line is so LOOONG" and then we got through it in 6 minutes flat. :mrgreen: So it was no big deal.
When I recently went through a non pre-check line, I had to remove my shoes, but my liquids and electronics stayed in my bag.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Kiosks were empty in MSP when I used them a couple weeks ago. Massive line otherwise
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

bluebolt wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:46 pm
boglegirl wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:46 pm
When I recently went through a non pre-check line, I had to remove my shoes, but my liquids and electronics stayed in my bag.
A recent departure from Boston (with the newer machines that use the fixed trays) required electronics out. A recent departure from Dulles in Virginia with the same machine required electronics to stay in. Ditto SeaTac in Washington. There is no consistency in TSA land. I haven’t been thru SFO recently, which does not use TSA at all, but they probably do something else…
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

oxothuk wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:46 am
NYCaviator wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:02 am I've had no wait for GE on the last few international trips. Pre-Check is a different story. Everyone and their mother has pre-check now through credit cards, so the lines are often longer than the non-precheck lines.
One would think that TSA could adjust the allocation of lines/agents between Pre-Check and Standard if the fraction of flyers with Pre-Check has changed. Especially given that Pre-Check flyers require less work/screening on their part.

One would think....
Now the new thing is Clear. When everyone started getting pre-check for free through their credit cards, it made sense to pay for Clear to get through the line a little quicker. Now lots of people are getting Clear for free, so those lines are starting to fill up. Moral of the story is... travel sucks these days!
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Iporante wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:18 pm
Case59 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:35 pm I've only used MPC and its predecessor for years, and never had a problem. It's hasn't been clear to me what the advantage of GE is.
I used to love MPC. I got GE in 2020 ( :oops: ) after several returns to ATL where the MPC process wasn't working and my colleagues with GE were long gone by the time I cleared CBP.
What's "MPC?"
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
Topic Author
Iporante

Post by Iporante »

samsoes wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:20 am What's "MPC?"
Mobile passport control. Check it out here, https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/ ... rt-control
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Clark Howard says:
One thing to note: Mobile Passport does not give you TSA Precheck, which is a program that allows for low-risk passengers to expedite their security screenings.

source: https://clark.com/travel/mobile-passpor ... s-to-know/
so do you still have security screenings with MPC which you wouldn't with GE?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:29 pm
Clark Howard says:
One thing to note: Mobile Passport does not give you TSA Precheck, which is a program that allows for low-risk passengers to expedite their security screenings.

Global Entry gets you through customs and passport control in an expedited way and also gives you PreCheck, which gives you expedited security screening to get into the sterile (airside) part of the country.

MPC gives you a streamlined way to get through passport control. To get into a secure area, you either do the no-PreCheck line, or you pay separately for PreCheck-only access.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

Clark Howard says:

Not sure what you mean. Before departure, everyone gets security screening (if they didn't, flying would be less safe). After arrival, no one gets security screening.

GE/Precheck gets you separate security lines that move faster most of the time. MPC (passport control) is about international arrival, not departure.

The advantage of MPC is not so much the faster processing once you see a CBP officer, because it is not what takes the most time.The advantage is the separate line. I have no experience of how much faster it is---I am sure it varies and anecdotal evidence does not predict what will happen in any specific case. I do know that the regular lines can sometimes (not always) be very long. But it is much worse for foreigners.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Chuckles960 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:54 am
Clark Howard says:

Not sure what you mean. Before departure, everyone gets security screening (if they didn't, flying would be less safe). After arrival, no one gets security screening.

GE/Precheck gets you separate security lines that move faster most of the time. MPC (passport control) is about international arrival, not departure.

The advantage of MPC is not so much the faster processing once you see a CBP officer, because it is not what takes the most time.The advantage is the separate line. I have no experience of how much faster it is---I am sure it varies and anecdotal evidence does not predict what will happen in any specific case. I do know that the regular lines can sometimes (not always) be very long. But it is much worse for foreigners.
thanks. the longest lines i find are coming back in to USA from international flights (going through customs, handing in the declaration form, etc). What would be a way to cut down on that? Would MPC help there or GE?
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:15 pmthanks. the longest lines i find are coming back in to USA from international flights (going through customs, handing in the declaration form, etc). What would be a way to cut down on that? Would MPC help there or GE?
"Going through Customs" and "handing in the declaration form" are exactly the same thing. Nothing helps with that. (Some airports at some times have had separate Customs lines for GE, but not consistently.)

GE and MPC speed up immigration processing.

Also, there is no program that speeds up delivery of checked luggage...
arcticpineapplecorp.

Chuckles960 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:32 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:15 pmthanks. the longest lines i find are coming back in to USA from international flights (going through customs, handing in the declaration form, etc). What would be a way to cut down on that? Would MPC help there or GE?
"Going through Customs" and "handing in the declaration form" are exactly the same thing. Nothing helps with that. (Some airports at some times have had separate Customs lines for GE, but not consistently.)

GE and MPC speed up immigration processing.

Also, there is no program that speeds up delivery of checked luggage...
thanks. can you elaborate on what you mean by immigration processing?
catdoctor

Post by catdoctor »

TravelGeek wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:02 pm
Not at other airports for me (EWR, SEA).
Came into SEA about a week ago and the GE line was not any faster than the regular lins.
Chuckles960

Post by Chuckles960 »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:55 pm thanks. can you elaborate on what you mean by immigration processing?
Not sure how much you need explained, or maybe you're just pulling my leg. Immigration is also known as "passport control", it's where you present a passport (and if necessary a visa) to be let into a country. It is not the same as Customs, which deals only with luggage and not people. At some airports (Miami?) both are done at once, but not usually.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Chuckles960 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:38 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:55 pm thanks. can you elaborate on what you mean by immigration processing?
Not sure how much you need explained, or maybe you're just pulling my leg. Immigration is also known as "passport control", it's where you present a passport (and if necessary a visa) to be let into a country. It is not the same as Customs, which deals only with luggage and not people. At some airports (Miami?) both are done at once, but not usually.
no honestly trying to figure out. haven't traveled in a number of years but remember scanning my face and my passport at a kiosk, but then still had to stand in a line for an hour at EWR (Newark) upon arrival back in US. Just trying to see if there's anything that could have sped that up as you keep hearing people "skip" the line and wondering what they're doing and how to do it, etc. if possible. Guess I just have to read up more on it as we plan to travel in the next few years covid willing.
tfunk

Post by tfunk »

Rex66 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:45 pm Just looked into GE

Next available appointment is June
That’s Atlanta not a small town where I could expect such a wait

I guess I won’t get it
Check to see if they have an appointment on arrival facility. Makes for a little delay on your first return but then you have GE for 5 years and renewal is usually pretty easy.