Need bank recommendation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
purplepencil

Need bank recommendation

Post by purplepencil »

I am looking for a new bank. My current institution locked my ATM card when I tried to use it outside of my area. I know that all banks will have some kind of security policy, so what I am really looking for is one where that security is combined with some customer convenience. For example are there any banks where you can unlock a card or authorize questionable transactions with the banks app? Or where travel notifications are easy to create and take effect quickly? Or maybe the bank would call me and check if the transaction was legit.

It would be fantastic if a recommended bank also allowed for second factor authentication.

Thanks for any info.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Need bank recommendation

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

purplepencil wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:43 pm I know that all banks will have some kind of security policy, so what I am really looking for is one where that security is combined with some customer convenience.
when i logged into vanguard the other day a short questionaire popped up that asked me if i thought their security was sufficient or not. But what i found interesting was the final question that asked which of the two I valued from Vanguard more: security or convenience.

they were acknowledging that there are tradeoffs in life and if you want security you have to give up some convenience and vice versa.

have you checked with Schwab? They have a very robust ATM system in that you can use it anywhere I believe even internationally. Not sure about their security protocols though so you'd have to ask them about that. But I think they're going for convenience there (not saying they're compromising security, i don't know because i don't have a schwab account). I'd ask them about their protocols.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

You might also check the fidelity as a one stop shop thread.
viewtopic.php?t=266538
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

I like chase, Alliant or first republic. Navy federal isn’t bad either.
cabfranc

Post by cabfranc »

purplepencil wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:43 pm I am looking for a new bank. My current institution locked my ATM card when I tried to use it outside of my area. I know that all banks will have some kind of security policy, so what I am really looking for is one where that security is combined with some customer convenience. For example are there any banks where you can unlock a card or authorize questionable transactions with the banks app? Or where travel notifications are easy to create and take effect quickly? Or maybe the bank would call me and check if the transaction was legit.

It would be fantastic if a recommended bank also allowed for second factor authentication.

Thanks for any info.
Just curious, are there are any banks that do not have two-factor authentication in 2022? It seems that every website has it, even ones where I can't figure out a good reason, like logging into my public library to renew books.
SevenBridgesRoad

Post by SevenBridgesRoad »

We've been happy with Chase for checking account. Even though we use the website for 99.9% of transactions, it's nice to have a physical branch a mile from our home, and nationwide if needed.
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

SevenBridgesRoad wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 pm We've been happy with Chase for checking account. Even though we use the website for 99.9% of transactions, it's nice to have a physical branch a mile from our home, and nationwide if needed.
I second this. They don’t pay interest but I generally only keep a few thousand in as base. I look at the $30/year I’m losing in interest as a fee for simplicity and an awesome user interface.
Janclam

Post by Janclam »

cabfranc wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:59 pm
purplepencil wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:43 pm I am looking for a new bank. My current institution locked my ATM card when I tried to use it outside of my area. I know that all banks will have some kind of security policy, so what I am really looking for is one where that security is combined with some customer convenience. For example are there any banks where you can unlock a card or authorize questionable transactions with the banks app? Or where travel notifications are easy to create and take effect quickly? Or maybe the bank would call me and check if the transaction was legit.

Thanks for any info.
Just curious, are there are any banks that do not have two-factor authentication in 2022? It seems that every website has it, even ones where I can't figure out a good reason, like logging into my public library to renew books.
Amazingly, capitalone and ...360 don't offer it. I've had the above-2 accounts for many years and i've never seen any options
in the settings to enable 2fa,. I just enter my username and pw to login.....which sucks.
djshackesq

Post by djshackesq »

Janclam wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:24 am

Thanks for any info.
Amazingly, capitalone and ...360 don't offer it. I've had the above-2 accounts for many years and i've never seen any options
in the settings to enable 2fa,. I just enter my username and pw to login.....which sucks.
Oh but they do. I had major issues where it wouldn’t recognize my login location despite it not changing and I actually hit my limit of how many times I could get an SMS code within 24 hours. I left Capital One because of these types of issues.
Janclam

Post by Janclam »

djshackesq wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:51 am

Thanks for any info.
Oh but they do. I had major issues where it wouldn’t recognize my login location despite it not changing and I actually hit my limit of how many times I could get an SMS code within 24 hours. I left Capital One because of these types of issues.
Well I'll have to call them and find out why my online-security- settings have never shown that option. I've looked very carefully
a few times....no option for 2fa.
djshackesq

Post by djshackesq »

Janclam wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:57 am
djshackesq wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:51 am

Thanks for any info.
Well I'll have to call them and find out why my online-security- settings have never shown that option. I've looked very carefully
a few times....no option for 2fa.
From what I recall there's no setting for it, it's just part of their default. The one setting they do have in the mobile app is to use the app as authentication to login elsewhere.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Thanks for any info.
Yes. One of the largest retail banks in Connecticut. The only additional security are the questions it asks like the first car I drove, or my favorite TV show. I called, and they confirmed that they do not offer 2fa. Shameful!
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
816_Feet

Post by 816_Feet »

I sign up for bank account bonuses regularly, so I've had or have accounts at most of the larger banks. We keep Chase because of the physical locations, but the bulk of our banking is done with SoFi. Their app and website are very feature rich and easy to use. They also pay 2.5% interest on checking accounts.
Gronnie

Post by Gronnie »

Thanks for any info.
I barely consider SMS to be "2 factor".
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

Thanks for any info.
Ally Bank and Discover Bank do not have consistent 2FA. It's maddening. Chase and Bank of America, in my experience, always have 2FA.