Family of 5 new vehicle. Suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TarHeel2002

Family of 5 new vehicle. Suggestions?

Post by TarHeel2002 »

We have 3 kids ages 11,9 and 3. We currently have a 2011 Toyota Highlander as the primary family vehicle and a 2006 Toyota Camry as a commuter car. Each car has about 170k miles on it. We’re in need of more space and I’d feel better about having a newer family car. Any suggestions? I am partial to Toyota reliability. I do occasionally haul my 3000 lbs boat with the Highlander but never more than 20 miles a couple times a year. I entertain the thought of a bigger boat someday over 5000 lbs but don’t know if that will ever happen. The towing max on the Highlander is 5000 lbs. We live on the lake so the boat doesn’t need to be trailered other than to and from the marina for winterization etc. I was considering a new Toyota Sequoia or a new Honda Odyssey. We test drove the Toyota Sienna and wife didn’t care for it. I’ve been reading the less than stellar reviews about the 2023 sequoia on consumer reports so I’m currently leaning Honda Odyssey but thought I’d check in here to make sure I’m not missing anything. The Sequoia is definitely ‘cooler’ looking than the Odyssey but the Odyssey has so much daily utility and space and is 20k cheaper too. Planning on paying cash for whatever we get.
Sandtrap

Re: Family of 5 new vehicle. Suggestions?

Post by Sandtrap »

New Honda Pilot AWD loaded?
Build on the Ridgeline truck platform, larger V6 engine.

But for towing………Sequoia V8 power. :moneybag :dollar
j🌴
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Pdxnative

Post by Pdxnative »

Before you get your heart set on one model I’d look around to see what availability is like across Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Chevy, etc., in the relevant models. Also who is charging markups and who isn’t.

Neighbor just did a bunch of online research and found choice #1 was unavailable for 6+ months, choice 2 had a 6k markup. Back to the research…
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

We love our Traverse, 3 rows. Great for travel.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
smitcat

Post by smitcat »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:03 pm We have 3 kids ages 11,9 and 3. We currently have a 2011 Toyota Highlander as the primary family vehicle and a 2006 Toyota Camry as a commuter car. Each car has about 170k miles on it. We’re in need of more space and I’d feel better about having a newer family car. Any suggestions? I am partial to Toyota reliability. I do occasionally haul my 3000 lbs boat with the Highlander but never more than 20 miles a couple times a year. I entertain the thought of a bigger boat someday over 5000 lbs but don’t know if that will ever happen. The towing max on the Highlander is 5000 lbs. We live on the lake so the boat doesn’t need to be trailered other than to and from the marina for winterization etc. I was considering a new Toyota Sequoia or a new Honda Odyssey. We test drove the Toyota Sienna and wife didn’t care for it. I’ve been reading the less than stellar reviews about the 2023 sequoia on consumer reports so I’m currently leaning Honda Odyssey but thought I’d check in here to make sure I’m not missing anything. The Sequoia is definitely ‘cooler’ looking than the Odyssey but the Odyssey has so much daily utility and space and is 20k cheaper too. Planning on paying cash for whatever we get.
"I do occasionally haul my 3000 lbs boat with the Highlander but never more than 20 miles a couple times a year. I entertain the thought of a bigger boat someday over 5000 lbs but don’t know if that will ever happen. The towing max on the Highlander is 5000 lbs. We live on the lake so the boat doesn’t need to be trailered other than to and from the marina for winterization etc."
A couple of times a year I would rent a truck to tow the boat or alternatively have a boat hauler do it for you. If/when you get a boat at or over 5,000# the towing weight with a trailer and other 'stuff' will be near 7,500#'s +.
By leaving the towing requirement out of the equation you can select a much better solution for the real needs you have.
kelway

Post by kelway »

My eye is on the Toyota RAV4 Prime.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

I'd probably go mini-van or another Highlander and you could U-Haul a truck rental for cheap to tow a bigger boat if you get one.

I don't think the Sequoia is worth it but maybe you should just buy a one since you've been thinking about and posting questions about it for a while ;)

viewtopic.php?t=353650
viewtopic.php?t=337592
viewtopic.php?t=368934
viewtopic.php?t=287094
viewtopic.php?t=378701
lazybones18

Post by lazybones18 »

Toyota highlander Hybrid platinum

its very hard to get toyota's at the moment atleast in california. I have been on the waitlist for 7 months now
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I would go for the Odyssey. As a family car, they’re just more practical than anything else. Anyone that thinks pulling up to the elementary school in a big SUV makes them look cooler is really kidding themselves. You’re parents. You aren’t cool anymore.

As far as needing to occasionally tow a boat short distances, just rent a truck.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:11 pm I would go for the Odyssey. As a family car, they’re just more practical than anything else. Anyone that thinks pulling up to the elementary school in a big SUV makes them look cooler is really kidding themselves. You’re parents. You aren’t cool anymore.

As far as needing to occasionally tow a boat short distances, just rent a truck.
They’re cooler parents.

This coming from a guy who has never owned a minivan and whose youngest is out of the house. (I’m long out of the pick the kids up from school game.)

There’s a cool continuum. Where do you want to be on it?
Beachey

Post by Beachey »

We have an Odyssey and While I agree it hurts one’s coolness scale it is the most practical car I have ever owned. We only have two kids closer to your younger kids ages. The killer feature for us is my elderly parents can fit comfortably in the car with the four of us even with car seats. No idea on towing capacity. Ours is a 2015 but every time I have it at the dealership they ask if I want to sell it so as others have mentioned there may be limited availability. However, my next car will likely be either an EV or a hybrid as I would be hesitant to commit to a gas engine for the next 10 years as we tend to keep cars for a while.
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Given the info provided - Odyssey all the way. If you are just putting the boat and in out once a season, whoever is winterizing for you can also put it in and take it out. Don't buy more towing capacity just for that, even if you do get a heavier boat.

Once you get the Odyssey, look up VCM muzzler and shut off the cylinder deactivation. Should have reliable use for years. Our 2012 has 180K+ now.
Watty

Post by Watty »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:03 pm We live on the lake so the boat doesn’t need to be trailered other than to and from the marina for winterization etc.
If that is all the towing that you need you can likely pay someone to do that for you.

That would be much less expensive than buying gas year round for a huge vehicle that you only need for towing a few times a year.
TarHeel2002 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:03 pm We have 3 kids ages 11,9 and 3.
A minivan is the obvious choice for your family hauler.

For the other commuter car one consideration is that it will only be about five years until your 11 year old is going to be ready to learn to drive. :shock:

You might want to get a car that would not be super expensive but still have a lot of the high tech advanced safety features.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/top-safety-picks

When car shopping also find out how much car insurance will cost for different models since it might vary by more than you might think and that will be very important when you are buying car insurance for a teenager.

Last year I replaced a 2018 Corolla with a new 2021 Forester which was worth about twice as much and much to my surprise my car insurance went down by about 20%. My insurance agent said that was because the Forester had a much better claims history in their internal database.

I don't know how accurate it is but I did a quick google and found this list of the least expensive cars to insure.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/insu ... ance-rates

Your eleven year old will likely be going off to college in about seven or eight years too so somewhere in the back of your mind you might want a car that could be a "hand me down" car that they could take to college if you decide that makes sense then.
eric321

Post by eric321 »

I'd go full sized body on frame SUV for towing. On the cool spectrum, you have an SUV designed to tow a boat and you have a boat. Chevy tahoe/suburban or Caddilac escalade depending on the level of flashyness you want to show.

The higher end truck/SUV availability is easing up and its now a good time to go shopping.
Wanderingwheelz

eric321 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:01 pm I'd go full sized body on frame SUV for towing. On the cool spectrum, you have an SUV designed to tow a boat and you have a boat. Chevy tahoe/suburban or Caddilac escalade depending on the level of flashyness you want to show.

The higher end truck/SUV availability is easing up and its now a good time to go shopping.
Where I live, the parents I know to be the coolest ones are more often than not driving GMC Yukon Denalis- XLs if they have 3+ kids at home. I’m not so sure about the Escalade drivers. I feel like they’re trying too hard, so they get points taken off. They should have saved some money and bought a Denali, then maybe wear their baseball hat backwards to get to out-cool everyone else.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:20 pm
quantAndHold wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:11 pm I would go for the Odyssey. As a family car, they’re just more practical than anything else. Anyone that thinks pulling up to the elementary school in a big SUV makes them look cooler is really kidding themselves. You’re parents. You aren’t cool anymore.

They’re cooler parents.

This coming from a guy who has never owned a minivan and whose youngest is out of the house. (I’m long out of the pick the kids up from school game.)

When we had kids at home, we had a Swagger Wagon. A car is just a tool, and it was the right tool for the job of hauling kids and their junk around. My coolness comes from actually being cool, not from driving a vehicle that I can’t see over the hood of.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

Love our odyssey. Very practical, very spacious. Done many interstate trips. Luggage fits well. Very satisfied.
revaldo29

Post by revaldo29 »

I know you guys didn’t care for the sienna but the fuel efficiency is incredible for a vehicle of that size . We had an odyssey before our sienna hybrid and we average 36 mpg and we have 4 kids. Not sure how much it can tow
slickracer

Post by slickracer »

bengal22 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:19 pm We love our Traverse, 3 rows. Great for travel.
Same here, we have a 2021 Traverse RS. Wonderful vehicle for road trips.
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

quantAndHold wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:49 pm When we had kids at home, we had a Swagger Wagon. A car is just a tool, and it was the right tool for the job of hauling kids and their junk around. My coolness comes from actually being cool, not from driving a vehicle that I can’t see over the hood of.
Agreed. I felt extremely cool using our Odyssey to camp with my son last week at a music festival. We packed that thing so well. We had room to pack glorious accessories like a canopy and outdoor rugs. My 5 y.o. had an amazing 5 days running around like a wild child in the woods. I had an amazing time too, with all that space, I packed 4 coolers and easily kept a tight camp kitchen with delicious food and snacks. Our camping experience was easy, well-organized and super fun & relaxing. Our Odyssey has 100% upgraded the cool experiences possible for us. I'm soooo in love with this van.

I noticed there were tons of other Odysseys there too. I think they just work so well for an active family lifestyle.
Last edited by Big Heart on Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

They’re cooler parents.

Minivans are amazing. I freakin love my Honda Odyssey. I’d get two if I could justify it.

But as a guy who flew off aircraft carriers I don’t find any cars that live in the realm of realistic cool. Nothing will raise my heartbeat a single beat, so convenience and comfort are king for me.
Pierre-Simon Laplace’s original phrase for expected value was “mathematical hope.”
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

The minivan is designed for families. I own the Sienna and it's ridiculous how much more practical it is than any three-row SUV for people with kids.
Wanderingwheelz

ScubaHogg wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 5:38 am

They’re cooler parents.

Minivans are amazing. I freakin love my Honda Odyssey. I’d get two if I could justify it.

But as a guy who flew off aircraft carriers I don’t find any cars that live in the realm of realistic cool. Nothing will raise my heartbeat a single beat, so convenience and comfort are king for me.
I support your thesis since I’ve owned 3 Porsches and only rarely do they raise your pulse on public roads, and I’ve only sat in a military jet when I visited the museum in Pensacola. Funny, though, how in the original Too Gun, a Porsche was the featured vehicle of the character that wasn’t a pilot. IIRC the featured vehicle for a jet pilot was a crotch rocket. Again, makes sense.

Your comments reminded of the saying “It’s a far bigger thrill driving a slow car fast and a fast car slow.” With that in mind, you’re probably doing it right.
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Age 61, retired, we have a 2014 Sienna that is the most practical vehicle we have ever owned. It has a V6. Tows 3500 lbs. We helped a son move this weekend renting a 5x8 uhaul trailer. It is functional, dependable, and can carry a huge capacity. Sirius radio rocks. It is the perfect road vehicle. We were able to fit six adult family members in it at beach last weekend with seats that pop up in back. The 2nd row of seats are captain seats which are very comfortable. The roof rack has carried kayaks and luggage carriers.

We also have a 2011 RX350 which is more stylish but no where near the carrying capability nor 2nd row pax seating comfort. Of course a few buds have said I need to get steroid shots in order to offset the mini van syndrome. We have to remind ourselves not to get our ego mixed up in the car we drive or the watch we wear.

The ultimate boglehead vehicle.
Parkinglotracer

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:34 am

They’re cooler parents.

I support your thesis since I’ve owned 3 Porsches and only rarely do they raise your pulse on public roads, and I’ve only sat in a military jet when I visited the museum in Pensacola. Funny, though, how in the original Too Gun, a Porsche was the featured vehicle of the character that wasn’t a pilot. IIRC the featured vehicle for a jet pilot was a crotch rocket. Again, makes sense.

Your comments reminded of the saying “It’s a far bigger thrill driving a slow car fast and a fast car slow.” With that in mind, you’re probably doing it right.
Salute to my carrier brethren. As an ex usaf fighter pilot I try not to get my ego mixed up with the car I drive or the watch I wear or my investments. We have a few boglehead exciting vehicles … Sienna, Honda Accord, RX350, etc … all but one bought on Craigslist.
Wanderingwheelz

Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:59 am

They’re cooler parents.

Salute to my carrier brethren. As an ex usaf fighter pilot I try not to get my ego mixed up with the car I drive or the watch I wear or my investments. We have a few boglehead exciting vehicles … Sienna, Honda Accord, RX350, etc … all but one bought on Craigslist.
I know I’m treading on thin ice here, with watches being such a controversial subject. But considering the watch I bought brand new some years ago for $3,950 now being worth more than $15,000, I feel like my Boglehead credentials were enhanced, not damaged. Sure, I’d have done better by buying Amazon stock. Oh well.

Also, I’m sure I could find plenty of support for my comment that owning a high performance sports car can actually be profitable. Two of the three Porsches I owned were sold for more than I bought them for, and one of them was bought brand new right off the showroom floor. This was all before any of us had heard of chip shortages and supply chain issues, too.

I have nothing against minivans, I actually like them for intestate travel, but to imply that one should drive something similar day-to-day in order to fit in with folks who routinely make sound financial decisions isn’t very accurate, IMHO.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Safe 5000 pound boat plus probably 800 pounds of trailer and 3 kids, I'd suggest a Suburban. When we had our boat (3500 pounds), we had a Yukon XL (same thing from GMC) and it was stellar towing that boat and also my 18 foot enclosed racecar trailer with the car in it. Lots of space behind the 3rd seat unlike any of the so called 3 row vehicles out there that wouldn't even fit a single helmet. Yes, they are expensive and use a lot of gas. If you're pulling the boat and don't want to go unstable and end up pulled off the road by the trailer (I know someone who owned a Range Rover where this happened), go with the long wheelbase, heavy Suburban. If you want to notch it up, you could do the Cadillac Escalade long one (I don't know the name) that's that division's version.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Hoosier CPA

Post by Hoosier CPA »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:28 am Safe 5000 pound boat plus probably 800 pounds of trailer and 3 kids, I'd suggest a Suburban. When we had our boat (3500 pounds), we had a Yukon XL (same thing from GMC) and it was stellar towing that boat and also my 18 foot enclosed racecar trailer with the car in it. Lots of space behind the 3rd seat unlike any of the so called 3 row vehicles out there that wouldn't even fit a single helmet. Yes, they are expensive and use a lot of gas. If you're pulling the boat and don't want to go unstable and end up pulled off the road by the trailer (I know someone who owned a Range Rover where this happened), go with the long wheelbase, heavy Suburban. If you want to notch it up, you could do the Cadillac Escalade long one (I don't know the name) that's that division's version.
Agree 100% if he was actually towing the boat but he's just putting it in the water for the season. No reason to own a suburban just for that. The guy who winterizes his boat will be putting others in and out, so just have him move this boat also. Suburbans are probably the only thing with more space for a family than a minivan but obviously a different amount of money to buy and operate. Nothing wrong with that.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

We purchased Odyssey's to haul children years ago and continue with one due to their convenience though children are adults. Convenient, actually better gas mileage than our other vehicle, a Highlander, reliable (In spite of the annoying Consumer Report articles) and have received good trade in value with our prior three. One of us prefers Toyota, the other Honda. Can't go wrong with either.

Tim
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

All vehicle threads seem to end the same way. The Camry and Minivan militants scream loud enough that others stop commenting.
Parkinglotracer

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:17 am

They’re cooler parents.

I know I’m treading on thin ice here, with watches being such a controversial subject. But considering the watch I bought brand new some years ago for $3,950 now being worth more than $15,000, I feel like my Boglehead credentials were enhanced, not damaged. Sure, I’d have done better by buying Amazon stock. Oh well.

Also, I’m sure I could find plenty of support for my comment that owning a high performance sports car can actually be profitable. Two of the three Porsches I owned were sold for more than I bought them for, and one of them was bought brand new right off the showroom floor. This was all before any of us had heard of chip shortages and supply chain issues, too.

I have nothing against minivans, I actually like them for intestate travel, but to imply that one should drive something similar day-to-day in order to fit in with folks who routinely make sound financial decisions isn’t very accurate, IMHO.

Good points. I have a breitling aerospace that I love. We had a work group buy thru a sales rep years ago. I am proud of my Toyota mini van for its utility, low maintenance cost, and dependability; value for dollar driven. I would be proud of a Porsche that I bought, drove and enjoyed too especially if it increased in value. I think sound financial decisions can be made in many areas of life.
Parkinglotracer

Californiastate wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:53 am All vehicle threads seem to end the same way. The Camry and Minivan militants scream loud enough that others stop commenting.
Ha ha. Funny.
Wanderingwheelz

Parkinglotracer wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:08 pm
Wanderingwheelz wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:17 am

Good points. I have a breitling aerospace that I love. We had a work group buy thru a sales rep years ago. I am proud of my Toyota mini van for its utility, low maintenance cost, and dependability; value for dollar driven. I would be proud of a Porsche that I bought, drove and enjoyed too especially if it increased in value. I think sound financial decisions can be made in many areas of life.
Again, not a watch thread, but I’ve always liked the Aerospace. During the GFC I bought an Airwolf Raven with the same digital displays in the face. I sold it several years ago on eBay since I went through a downsizing phase in my life. Now it’s just the one watch I mentioned and a Casio for when I’m doing years work, or whatever.

I appreciate the kind reply!
Topic Author
TarHeel2002

Post by TarHeel2002 »

Okay, so I’m looking pretty hard at a 2022 Sequoia only 5k miles. Price tag 70k. The other option is a brand new Honda Odyssey, 41k. Is it worth another 30k to get it?? We’ll plan on keeping it 15-20 years / 250k miles if we went Sequoia route.
manuvns

Post by manuvns »

Toyota highlander or Hyundai 3 row SUV ? We are family of 4 and have Lexus RX
Thanks!
Topic Author
TarHeel2002

Post by TarHeel2002 »

We have a Highlander and it’s great but that 3rd row just isn’t cutting it anymore with the kids and all of their stuff
vineviz

Post by vineviz »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:08 pm We have a Highlander and it’s great but that 3rd row just isn’t cutting it anymore with the kids and all of their stuff
Having spent the past 15 years raising three children, I can say that if I had to do it all over again there is NO WAY I'd agree to do it if I couldn't have a minivan.

We loved our Honda Odyssey (which we bought used in 2007 and sold recently), but the Sienna gets great marks as well.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
PharmerBrown

Post by PharmerBrown »

TarHeel2002 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:01 pm Okay, so I’m looking pretty hard at a 2022 Sequoia only 5k miles. Price tag 70k. The other option is a brand new Honda Odyssey, 41k. Is it worth another 30k to get it?? We’ll plan on keeping it 15-20 years / 250k miles if we went Sequoia route.
If you're spending that much I think you have to wait for the 23' because of all of the updates.
I also have 3 kids and drive an Expedition Max. I really enjoy it and I've never owned a truck or anything near that big. I was shocked by how much I liked it.
Blue456

Post by Blue456 »

They’re cooler parents.

I like to be on the cool continuum in my wallet :)
shm317

Post by shm317 »

We also have 3 kids at similar ages. We were in the market for a large enough vehicle a few years ago. Test drove all the minivans, and didn't love the Toyota Sienna (just the way it handled for me). Then tried the Honda Odyssey and we both really liked. Four years later and were still very happy.
RoadThunder

Post by RoadThunder »

They’re cooler parents.

Wrong ! 4Runner TRD pros are actually super cool - tons of great mods available
jerkstore

Post by jerkstore »

We have a Sienna and an Armada w/3rd row. Also a family of 5, middle school and high school aged.

The Sienna is hands down more comfortable for 5, and our default family travel vehicle. There is elbow room and leg room for everyone, and a dog.
The Armada we use when we camp and are towing a travel trailer (5,000 lbs.). My BIL has a Suburban (family of 7) with more room than our Armada, but he cannot park in his garage...and I've got no use for that headache.

I do see the school parking lots loaded with big SUVs these days, and can see the minivans have fallen out of favor. But, in my experience, people make dumb decisions. The SUVs are not a practical choice unless you're towing. They are an expression of feelings.
Wanderingwheelz

RoadThunder wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 am

They’re cooler parents.

Oh wow. I was unaware that some people consider a 4Runner a minivan (Odyssey). Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
RoadThunder

Post by RoadThunder »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:50 am
RoadThunder wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:37 am

They’re cooler parents.

Oh wow. I was unaware that some people consider a 4Runner a minivan (Odyssey). Thanks for bringing me up to speed.
“Anyone that thinks pulling up to the elementary school in a big SUV makes them look cooler is really kidding themselves.” Go on..
Metsfan91

Post by Metsfan91 »

bengal22 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:19 pm We love our Traverse, 3 rows. Great for travel.
+1

Lot of legroom on third row. adults can sit comfortably.
"Know what you own, and know why you own it." — Peter Lynch
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Metsfan91 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:15 pm
+1

Lot of legroom on third row. adults can sit comfortably.
A very reliable vehicle. Cost to operate much lower than a Honda or Toyota.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
h82goslw

Post by h82goslw »

jerkstore wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:47 am We have a Sienna and an Armada w/3rd row. Also a family of 5, middle school and high school aged.

The Sienna is hands down more comfortable for 5, and our default family travel vehicle. There is elbow room and leg room for everyone, and a dog.
The Armada we use when we camp and are towing a travel trailer (5,000 lbs.). My BIL has a Suburban (family of 7) with more room than our Armada, but he cannot park in his garage...and I've got no use for that headache.

I do see the school parking lots loaded with big SUVs these days, and can see the minivans have fallen out of favor. But, in my experience, people make dumb decisions. The SUVs are not a practical choice unless you're towing. They are an expression of feelings.

Couldn’t agree more. Had an Odyssey for 8 years and loved it. Then went to an Armada, still driving it after 8 years, and while it’s a nice vehicle the odyssey was way more functional with kids and stuff when traveling. And I didn’t give a crap if it wasn’t considered cool.
Fortunately I can park my Armada in the garage.
JDave

Post by JDave »

Sienna is the logical choice, but most people don't purchase vehicles based on logic.
5outof10

Post by 5outof10 »

Transitioned from Toyota to Chevy Traverse. Wish we had done it earlier.
EF: 20% Interest Checking, 80% VTEB in Taxable | Retirement: 72% VTI, 18% VXUS, 10% BND | I would like to own a gold bar one day, to be able to say I own a gold bar.