Disneyland Hotels

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
socialforums2019

Disneyland Hotels

Post by socialforums2019 »

Bringing the kids to Disneyland in a few months and trying to figure out best place to stay. We will be there for 2-3 nights and I know there are Disneyland resorts but the "cheapest" one is going to be ~$500-$600/night. Looking for other recommendations which still provide a quality/safe place to stay, preferably walking distance to the park as we expect we will be making some trips back and forth during the day to let the kids nap. If there are better options driving distance, that isn't a problem as well since we will have a car. Parking would be $30/day vs staying close and walking. Will probably book with credit card points if possible.
JoeRetire

Re: Disneyland Hotels

Post by JoeRetire »

socialforums2019 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:18 am Bringing the kids to Disneyland in a few months and trying to figure out best place to stay.
You are a few months away and haven't booked accommodations yet?

Good luck. When we went to Disneyworld we had to book much farther in advance. Perhaps things are different now.
Last edited by JoeRetire on Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, noooooo! I'm so sorry, it's the moops! The correct answer is 'the moops'.
nanciT

Post by nanciT »

We have stayed several times at the Marriott Convention Center in Anaheim. It's about 1 1/2 miles from the gate. They have a shuttle but its been 3 years since we have been there so I would check.

I would book ASAP, they fill up quick all year.

Have a great time!
lostinjersey

Post by lostinjersey »

We always stay at the Camelot. It’s basic but super convenient, just walk across the street, and we literally just sleep there. There are a bunch of hotels along that stretch of road. I’ve heard the Howard Johnson is good too.
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

socialforums2019 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:18 am Bringing the kids to Disneyland in a few months and trying to figure out best place to stay. We will be there for 2-3 nights and I know there are Disneyland resorts but the "cheapest" one is going to be ~$500-$600/night. Looking for other recommendations which still provide a quality/safe place to stay, preferably walking distance to the park as we expect we will be making some trips back and forth during the day to let the kids nap. If there are better options driving distance, that isn't a problem as well since we will have a car. Parking would be $30/day vs staying close and walking. Will probably book with credit card points if possible.
Check out the Home2 Suites. Brand new hotel walking distance from the park, and rates are only $300/night.

They are a Hilton property so you can even get the whole stay covered on points by signing up for the Hilton Surpass card which is only $95 annual fee. Can always cancel the card after.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We are going next month, booked back in May.

We are staying at a a hotel across the street and behind another hotel on Katella. Gives us the option of a bit of a walk to the park or across the street and then shuttle in from the Toy Story parking lot.

When we booked back in May, scored 3-nights for less than $350. Same hotel now, about 6-weeks out is booking for $800 for the same three nights.

One thing to remember, you must reserve your entrance days into the parks. It is available 4-months in advance.
hbdad

Post by hbdad »

Check out the Candy Cane Inn. It's right next to the park and a popular option. I just checked a random night in December and it's available for around $270 after taxes. I'd also recommend you check out Trip Advisor when searching for hotels anywhere. They rank them based on customer reviews and or price.
Haysnooze

Post by Haysnooze »

We stayed at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Anaheim and would recommend that one or any of the hotels that are across S Harbor Blvd from Disneyland. It was an easy walk. Disney World is so huge, staying on property has its advantages, but not so at Disneyland. Save your money.
summit

Post by summit »

One thing to know is there are many homeless in the immediate area around Disneyland. Sleeping on the sidewalk, drinking, rummaging through trash, etc., literally right outside Disney property on Harbor. If you live in an urban location this will probably not phase you, but as we live in the suburbs and never see this at home it was a bit jarring, especially for my children. We recently stayed at a hotel at Harbor and Katella. On our walk to the park my son asked me why all these people were sleeping on the ground. It wasn't really the conversation I wanted to have on our way to "the most magical place on earth." I understand homelessness is a sad reality of life, but for me a Disney vacation is all about escapism, so I will not be staying at an off-site hotel near Disneyland again, despite the savings.
People first, then money, then things.
Doctor Rhythm

Post by Doctor Rhythm »

Writing from Disneyland right now as a Magic Key holder, in line for the Guardians of the Galaxy. You can but don’t need to get a room 3 months in advance. If you want to save money, get a refundable room now and then check prices again a month before your trip — could be much lower, or you may be able to save a few bucks with a non-refundable room then.

Just use any aggregator site you like to select a hotel (I prefer Priceline for blind purchases). There are a dozen places ranging from 2-4 stars in walking distance. PM if you want personal recs, but my opinions are no more trustworthy than customer ratings. I target a price under $150 per night there, but my needs are simple: clean and quiet and walkable, since I only spend 1 awake hour in the hotel. If posh is a priority, it will be more like $250+. We don’t go during peak days, so I suspect rates could be much higher if you’re traveling during the holidays.
welldone

Post by welldone »

We stayed at the Fairfield by Marriott on Harbor Blvd when we went to Disneyland. About a 10 min walk to the park entrance, very reasonable cost. Modern, clean rooms.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Cluster along Harbor Blvd close to the East Esplanade seems to be a consensus and there are some Marriott, Hilton, Holiday Inn, HOJO properties close by, those down by the Convention Center are farther away and less suitable for a spontaneous mid-day nap, etc. if that's the reason for being walkable. These are not luxury properties, older but popular. Bus-able and walk-able are not the same to us.
Lynx310650

Post by Lynx310650 »

We have Magic Keys (formerly Annual Passes) and go about 4-5 times a year. You generally don't really need to book that far in advance if you are planning on staying off-site. In fact this current week is the first time I saw hotels in the area booked solid, I believe it's because of a conference with an expected 50,000 in attendance. Generally speaking I usually have booked several weeks in advance or even the day before for a spontaneous trip. Never had issues, there are tons of hotels in the area and more being built. Just make sure though that there aren't any big conferences when you are going and/or it's a popular holiday. If so then you will want to book some time in advance.

My favorite hotel off-site is the Westin, which is pretty new. Only drawback is it's on the Disneyland Drive side, so it's a longer walk. Ideally you want to be on the Harbor Blvd. side for an easier walk. Unless you want to do rideshare, in which case it doesn't really matter.

Prior to the Westin, Hyatt House was our favorite. Was fairly newish, easy walk to the park.

Homewood Suites is another good one, because you can walk to the Toy Story parking lot and take the shuttle into the park (double check that they still let you do that). We've also stayed at Hotel Indigo, another good one and easy walk.

Some hotels in the area that friends have stayed in that they liked include the Courtyard (it's super close and family friendly), Residence Inn, and Springhill Suites.

EDIT: I'd strongly recommend staying as close as possible so you can take a midday break unless you and the family have super stamina. Frankly the parks are stupid busy almost everyday of the year now. Going against what used to be the general consensus, I think it's better to go during "popular" times now. Like I said, it's going to be busy no matter what. But if you go during popular times, the park is open until midnight and there's generally less locals that take advantage of cheaper Magic Keys or special promotional tickets.

I think the best strategy these days is to start your day when the park opens ("rope drop"), take a midday break, and then come back and plan on staying until midnight. Especially if it's a cold night, you will see crowds thin out noticeably around 10:30. You'd be surprised how much you can accomplish in about 1-2 hours in the morning and late at night prior to closing.

Good luck!
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

There is no reason to stay on property at DL. Lots of reasonably priced hotels nearby with shuttle service. I'd save money on the hotel and buy park hoppers since the parks are across from each other.
DetroitAvant

Post by DetroitAvant »

We used the Park Vue Inn years ago and we were happy. Short walk across the street to get to the parks.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

With young kids that need mid-day naps, considering splurging to stay at an in-park hotel to save yourself the time associated with commuting back-and-forth with tired or cranky kids while lugging all the associated kids “stuff” and/ir souvenirs. Even an extra 1/2 hour a day to enjoy your vacation as a family is priceless.