Medical insurance discount for procedure not covered?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
OnTrack

Medical insurance discount for procedure not covered?

Post by OnTrack »

Under ACA individual (not employer) a scan is covered, but only every 2 years. The doctor wants a scan after one year. I’m fine with paying out of pocket, but I would like to know if I can still get the in-network price? How does that work? Based on the previous EOB for the scan, the discounted price for having insurance was about 25% of the price submitted to the insurance company.
kd2008

Re: Medical insurance discount for procedure not covered?

Post by kd2008 »

It varies from plan to plan, and facility to facility. In our case, the plan processed the claim with the insurance discount, and then said not covered, and the remainder amount as patient responsibility. So it counted against our deductible and out of pocket max. YMMV.
InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams »

Ask the scan provider what their cash price is - might even be less than your insurer's listed price! Regardless, definitely negotiate the price in writing before the procedure.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Is there any possibility that your health care provider, the one wanted another scan sooner, could request some sort of exception (or appeal of a denial) or such to have it covered as "medically necessary"?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:08 pm Is there any possibility that your health care provider, the one wanted another scan sooner, could request some sort of exception (or appeal of a denial) or such to have it covered as "medically necessary"?

RM
I would also agree to ask your provider.

OP:
If you haven't, or your provider hasn't, submitted a prior authorization for this, you should do that. If this is one of the preventive services that are supposed to be covered, it may be the case where the diagnostic is covered as a preventative service (so 100% covered) every n years, but if you need testing more frequently it may be covered under your normal diagnostic and imaging cost sharing limits.
mcamp18

Post by mcamp18 »

Google MD Save to get discount prices on medical tests. Prior to Medicare I had a high deductible health insurance plan. I used MD Save for an ultrascan and paid 50% of what I would have paid at a local hospital.