Tax loss harvesting fund pairs

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mhoffman1

Tax loss harvesting fund pairs

Post by mhoffman1 »

I am new to the forum but was hoping to get some feedback / advice. This recent downturn has been our first “opportunity” (trying to view the cup half full here) to do any tax loss harvesting in our taxable account. I wanted to harvest our losses in FISVX (fidelity small cap value index) and find something comparable to pair it with. Would VBR be a good reasonable & legal alternative? What is the downside to using an ETF and a mutual fund as tax loss harvesting pairs (other than the obvious NAV pricing at end of trading day vs ETF pricing)? Any help / recommendation is greatly appreciated.

-Mike
student

Re: Tax loss harvesting fund pairs

Post by student »

They give a good TLH pair. They follow different indices, one has about 900 stocks and the other 1400 stocks. So I say no wash sales.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The downside to ETFs is exactly the same as the downside to a mutual fund: Everyone is unfamiliar with an ETF until they use it. That's the same as it was when one had never owned any mutual fund shares as well. Just know that they are not exactly the same. Two things not discussed: Dividends are paid out and reinvested differently. Settlement times are different. Also no Average Cost with ETFs which is a rather good thing.

While I own VBR for historical reasons, I would suggest VIOV or AVUV nowadays. I own shares of AVUV and VBR now.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
mhoffman1

Post by mhoffman1 »

Thank you for the help / advice.