Recommendations for places to visit and things to do in Acadia National Park

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Namashkar

Recommendations for places to visit and things to do in Acadia National Park

Post by Namashkar »

We are planning to visit Acadia National Park in 2023. Looking for basic recommendations for the timings to visit (we prefer warmer weather) and important places to visit. We will be traveling with a SUV and do not mind to stay in a tent on the campgrounds unless a Cabin is available. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
chassis

Re: Recommendations for places to visit and things to do in Acadia National Park

Post by chassis »

Red Barn campground is fun. The have bingo, or rather “beano”. Good clean fun.

Hike the National park. Google is your friend. Also Alltrails and the park website.

Lobster roll is a must.
mkc

Re: Recommendations for places to visit and things to do in Acadia National Park

Post by mkc »

Namashkar wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:00 am We are planning to visit Acadia National Park in 2023. Looking for basic recommendations for the timings to visit (we prefer warmer weather) and important places to visit. We will be traveling with a SUV and do not mind to stay in a tent on the campgrounds unless a Cabin is available. Thanks in advance for your recommendations.
Campgrounds are going to book up fast - Acadia saw more visitors in 2022 than ever before. Once you know your schedule, make reservations. Consider a B&B or inn as well.

Watch the cruise ship schedule for 2023 as well. Those can unload 3-4000 people which quickly overwhelms Bar Harbor and surrounding areas.

https://maine.portcall.com/#!?tab=2&port=Bar%20Harbor
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

I visited Acadia mid-June and decided it is the perfect time to visit. It’s less busy than peak summer but the weather is still warm. Probably a little too chilly for hopping in the ocean, but just right for hiking and bike riding. Ride the carriage trails by bike.
RedwoodsCA

Post by RedwoodsCA »

Go eat lunch at the restaurant at Jordan's Pond. Try the popovers. There is a hike around the lake (pond?) that is pretty nice.

Hike (Don't drive) up AND down Cadillac mountain. There is a one way trail that goes up one side and down the other, with busses at both ends. It is about 7 miles, and there are bathrooms/food at the summit. Great hike.

I loved staying in a nice hotel in Bar Harbor. Bus service for the NP is available right downtown.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

From the web:

"We start looking for ripened berries in July and expect a few for the 4th each year. Our highbush blueberries, growing wild along the edge of a pond, will come on later. Mid-August is generally their peak berry time."

From my own experience camping there years ago, take a marshmallow and put it on a stick. Poke four holes around it and stuff a fresh blueberry in each hole. The ones we used we'd picked wild on the side of the mountain that day. Toast the marshmallow quickly - warm marshmallow and cold blueberry.
vabeek

Post by vabeek »

Check out traveling lobster. Amazing place for lunch. It's on MDI, just not downtown Bar Harbor.

I second Jordan pond house.

Great hiking. Enjoy!
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

The Traveling Lobster is indeed excellent.

Take your bikes and ride the carriage roads.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er »

The first thing that came to mind was the Traveling Lobster. I can still taste the deliciousness…
Sidnaw_kid

Post by Sidnaw_kid »

Consider renting bicycles, unless you take your own. There are 57 miles of well-marked, car-free carriage paths (crushed stone surface) that meander through evergreen forests. Also, the 20-mile, scenic, paved park loop road can be a great experience.
like2read

Post by like2read »

Recommend tripadvisor.com
zanza

Post by zanza »

We camped there the week of Sept 11th. Fabulous weather. But it was a madhouse of people everywhere except the campground.

There are 3 national park campgrounds accessible by car: Blackwoods, Seawall, and Schoodic Woods. WIth national park pass the camping fees of $30 reduce to $15 per night. No showers. Pitch blackness and incredible silence. Make reservations 2 months before date desired at 10am EST.

Park has a bunch of free hop on/off buses . IMHO camp or get a hotel, ditch the car (parking lots fill by 9am), and take the bus to see sights.

Good advice to check the port of call schedule. We were surprised to see 2 ships in Bar Harbor.
zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk »

Sunrise at the top of Cadillac Mountain, get there early for a parking spot.
Walk around Jordan Pond is nice.
Lobster Roll from Side Street Cafe
Maybe weird in Maine, but Mainely Meat BBQ is really good.
Finding parking in downtown Bar Harbor can be challenging.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

vabeek wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:44 pm Check out traveling lobster. Amazing place for lunch. It's on MDI, just not downtown Bar Harbor.

I second Jordan pond house.

Great hiking. Enjoy!
Another vote for The Travelin' Lobster, 1569 ME-102, Bar Harbor, ME 04609. Although we've never had a lobster roll anywhere in that area that wasn't great.

We have had bad luck actually getting popovers at Jordan Pond House. When we visited earlier this year, we actually delayed our our five-day visit a week to be sure they would be open--and they opened a week later than they said on their website. The time before, we were traveling with our dog, only allowed on the patio--and the patio was closed.

Time before last, we stayed four days at what was then a KOA--what can I say, we rather like KOAs--and then three days at the NPS Schoodic Woods Campground. That campground was great, and fairly quiet. Our time on the Schoodic Peninsula was pleasant, but not all that exciting in terms of obvious Things To Do on the park loop. Rockefeller Hall was interesting.

Last time, we decided to try glamping, and we stayed at the Terramor Outdoor Resort. It is weird, and very expensive ($300-400 night), and definitely unlike anything we've done... it is a high-end hotel room that happens to be housed in a tent. To our amazement, the onsite restaurant, Kitchen [207], was really very good--the menu wasn't extensive but the quality of the food and preparation was good. We were particularly tickled because it was a conversion of the KOA we had stayed at just a few years before. (Terramor is new "brand" of KOA and it is... not a KOA).
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
like2read

Post by like2read »

For great popovers try this community fundraising kitchen in Southwest Harbor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserRev ... Maine.html
deikel

Post by deikel »

if you want to leave the tourists behind, go to Schoodic on the other side and you can enjoy the same water scenery with about 1/10 the tourists
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immediately and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.
Topic Author
Namashkar

Post by Namashkar »

Thank you all for very good recommendations. Appreciated.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

deikel wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:24 am if you want to leave the tourists behind, go to Schoodic on the other side and you can enjoy the same water scenery with about 1/10 the tourists
Very busy park these days, I would avoid weekends as they tend to be busier and get busier earlier. Get on the Park Loop Road early to beat the crowds, explore other parts of the park during peak times.

If the OP is spending many days there I would recommend visiting Schoodic. Very peaceful, and the surf was pretty hardy when we visited there.

If any of the dates visited coincide with a moonless night and the skies are clear, go to the beach to enjoy the stars. The view of the Milky Way was tremendous when we were there in late August.

I also like the Bubbles divide trail as the two viewpoints give you different perspectives. If you are into exposed hikes with some iron rung action, the Precipice or Beehive trails would be for you; however Precipice is usually closed during summer months to protect the falcons who reside there. I've only done the Beehive which is only about 500 feet of elevation climb.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
olefoodie

Post by olefoodie »

There are some gorgeous stone bridges along the carriage roads that are must-see attractions. The Duck Bridge comes to mind. You can sit along the stream underneath for some of them and just chill. I found a website that has pictures of each of these bridges: https://www.citrusmilo.com/acadiaguide/ ... ridges.php
nimo956

Post by nimo956 »

Do a sea kayaking tour to see some seals and bald eagles.

Look for picnic tables next to people’s home with a sign that says live lobster. I ate at such a place every night of my trip there. 2 lobsters, mussels, clams, corn on the cob, and pie for about $30!
50% VTI / 50% VXUS
atfelt

Post by atfelt »

One of the more unique hikes I have ever done was the Beehive Trail in Acadia. It was really fun and i recommend - but don't do it if heights bother you. There is a lot of exposure, but fantastic views. It can get a little crowded much like everything else in the park.
Not all that glitters is gold.