British Airways - no spot for middle name

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
JD2775

British Airways - no spot for middle name

Post by JD2775 »

I have been googling this but can't find a clear answer, and I haven't flown internationally (where I needed a passport) in a long time....

Going from the US to Europe (round trip)
British Airways is asking me for my "First Name on Passport" and "Last Name on Passport". There is no spot for a middle name. My passport reads:

Smith
James Edward

Should I enter:
James
Smith

Or:
James Edward
Smith

adamthesmythe

Re: British Airways - no spot for middle name

Post by adamthesmythe »

I flew on BA recently and I honestly don't remember.

This is just the beginning of the annoyances. BA has a way of making flying on an American airline seem pleasant.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

You first name on your passport is two words, and should be on your ticket, as well.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

sailaway wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:32 pm You first name on your passport is two words, and should be on your ticket, as well.
Doesnt a US passport say "Given Names"?
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

anon_investor wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:33 pm
sailaway wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:32 pm You first name on your passport is two words, and should be on your ticket, as well.
It does, I am looking at it now. Maybe I'll give both just to be safe.

First Name: James Edward
Last Name: Smith
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

JD2775 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:36 pm

We've had air tickets issued with "FirstMiddle Last", or in the above, "JamesEdward Smith".
But I think it was all caps, so "JAMESEDWARD SMITH", but I'm not 100% sure about the upper vs mixed case.

The first time I saw the combo names with no space, I thought it was a mistake.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
JD2775

Post by JD2775 »

ResearchMed wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:48 pm
JD2775 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:36 pm

We've had air tickets issued with "FirstMiddle Last", or in the above, "JamesEdward Smith".
But I think it was all caps, so "JAMESEDWARD SMITH", but I'm not 100% sure about the upper vs mixed case.

The first time I saw the combo names with no space, I thought it was a mistake.

RM
Yea from the googling I did I saw that was definitely an issue, but that even combined JAMESEDWARD is probably safer than leaving off the Edward. I think Ill play it safe
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

What does the Prince of Wales use?
William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor
Old fart who does three index funds, baby.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Don’t overthink it.
If the airline asks for First Name enter your first name, same for middle and surnames.
If the airline does not ask for a middle name it’s up to you if you want enter it along with first name in that field.
Don’t try to second guess what you see on a ticket or boarding pass with regards to upper or lower case, spaces between names or order of names.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

I just flew BA and not having my middle name inserted when purchasing tickets on the website did not result in any issue. Concentrate on what's on the passport as you enter that info, as that seems to get more scrutiny. Though having said that, we breezed through all border control and security points @ ORD-LHR-CDG.
Planner01

Post by Planner01 »

Don’t type in your middle name if it’s not asked for.
I don’t have a middle name. It has never been an issue for anything I’ve ever done, including international travel.
ScubaHogg

Post by ScubaHogg »

MGBMartin wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:21 am Don’t overthink it.
If the airline asks for First Name enter your first name, same for middle and surnames.
If the airline does not ask for a middle name it’s up to you if you want enter it along with first name in that field.
Don’t try to second guess what you see on a ticket or boarding pass with regards to upper or lower case, spaces between names or order of names.
+1
Pierre-Simon Laplace’s original phrase for expected value was “mathematical hope.”
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I'd call and ask BA rep what they suggest. These days it is not possible to be too careful about making sure your name is in correct matching format to passport. The BA rep has almost certainly had the same question before.

It's best for smooth sailing thru TSA/Customs/Immigration/Airline Check in, etc., if your name format exactly matches your docs - drivers license, passport, and boarding pass.
THY4373

Post by THY4373 »

As others have said you are over thinking this. In the last six years I have entered 40+ countries on dozens of airlines. My passport is first middle last and my plane tickets have been first last, firstmiddle (combined) last, and first middle last and I have had zero issues. Not once has there even been a slight question. As long as you have first and last at least I wouldn't sweat it. This includes flying BA multiple times.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Planner01 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:46 am Don’t type in your middle name if it’s not asked for.
I don’t have a middle name. It has never been an issue for anything I’ve ever done, including international travel.

Yours is a different situation.
Your "First Last" *will* match your passport or other IDs, if you have no middle name.
That's not the situation for those with middle names that appear on passports/IDs.

For whatever it's worth, for the past several years, our airline reservations have been made by a travel agent who also helps air travelers with getting tickets using awards, plus making cruise reservations; he also occasionally accompanies/leads groups on overseas tours.

How our names appear hasn't been something we decided on our own. It's how the reservations have then shown up, and thus how our tickets/boarding passes/etc., get printed automatically.

The reservations have been in the "JAMESEDWARD SMITH" format for each of us for quite a few years. (I don't remember when that format started appearing.)

We've had no problems with getting through security at various airports, boarding airlines and cruise ships, or crossing borders. The relatively recent borders have included some European countries plus Japan, Hong Kong, New Zealand, and Australia.

Given the emphasis these days on the names on passports and tickets *matching*, I wouldn't want to leave a middle name off a ticket if it appears on the passport.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
assyadh

Post by assyadh »

Middle names is a concept that does not exist in a lot of countries around the world.

Similarly, some countries have the concept of multiple first names (France for instance).

What I do is I use solely the 1st first name along with the last name.
djheini

Post by djheini »

When traveling domestically, it's confusing because I have a suffix (Jr.) and some of my forms of ID have it in the first name field, and others have it in the last name field. I haven't had an issue with any combination yet (at least as far as ID checks go... interactions between different airlines frequent flier programs is a different story).

Internationally, I always enter the names as they appear on my travel document (passport), so including the Jr in the last name field.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Middle names do not matter.
The rule of thumb is that the name on the ticket has to match your name on your passport without regards to name order or capitalization.
It’s the airlines that like to mess around with naming conventions either because they want to cover all situations or most likely because they suck at Internationalization/Localization of their web pages.

If the name on your passport is (First Middle Last) then…
Your tickets will be fine with
First Last
First Middle Last
Disregard the order, as long as it includes any combination of the above 2 it will be acceptable.

If you don’t have a middle name don’t worry about it but I’ve seen reports of some airlines requiring an entry. My does not have a middle name but never come across a problem.
If you don’t have a first or last name, apparently that happens, then ask the airline but usually it involves doing something like NFN or NLN

What you don’t want to do is abbreviate or truncate any names which is important especially when a beloved family relative books tickets for you under name Rob when your name is Robert for example.

I’ll say it again…
Don’t overthink it.
MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM »

I'm in the "it doesn't matter but you are fine to leave middle name off" camp.

I think it is amusing the range of titles BA has on its website. In addition to the Mr., Mrs. etc. standards, one can be a Lord, Lady, Viscount, Viscountess, Baron, Baroness and more. I've always wondered what would happen if you chose one of those...
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

MarkerFM wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:01 pm I'm in the "it doesn't matter but you are fine to leave middle name off" camp.

I think it is amusing the range of titles BA has on its website. In addition to the Mr., Mrs. etc. standards, one can be a Lord, Lady, Viscount, Viscountess, Baron, Baroness and more. I've always wondered what would happen if you chose one of those...
Titles don’t matter either, or they shouldn’t.
I’m a bit upset that BA don’t have mine…
Your Eminence
That’s what the mrs calls me, I that’s it but it might something to do with a horse
ram

Post by ram »

Most airlines call me
Jamese
Smith
Ram