Do I need permission from water department to use Flume water monitor?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hoofaman

Do I need permission from water department to use Flume water monitor?

Post by hoofaman »

I was looking at this product called Flume:

https://flumewater.com/

It includes a sensor which you place next to your water meter and secure with a big rubber band.

Some counties in my state actually encourage devices like this, one actually provides rebates for this specific product. My county water department doesn't mention it at all in the FAQ, and when I called customer service to inquire they were not familiar with the product and just gave a generic response about home owners are allowed to do anything on the home owners side of the meter as they are responsible for that.

I guess what I'm looking for here is, I don't want to use this product and have my water department accuse me of tampering with the water meter when they see this device strapped to it.

Thoughts on this?
JoeRetire

Re: Do I need permission from water department to use Flume water monitor?

Post by JoeRetire »

hoofaman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:39 amwhen I called customer service to inquire they were not familiar with the product and just gave a generic response about home owners are allowed to do anything on the home owners side of the meter
Doesn't that answer your question?

If not, at the end of https://help.flumewater.com/en/articles ... llow-flume it says:
"Alternatively, you may contact Flume to let us know the concern and we will be happy to reach out to the water company on your behalf."
Last edited by JoeRetire on Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oh, noooooo! I'm so sorry, it's the moops! The correct answer is 'the moops'.
Topic Author
hoofaman

Post by hoofaman »

JoeRetire wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:40 am
hoofaman wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:39 amwhen I called customer service to inquire they were not familiar with the product and just gave a generic response about home owners are allowed to do anything on the home owners side of the meter
Doesn't that answer your question?
It doesn't because the sensor is not plumbed into the system, it is to be attached to the side of the water meter.
mhc

Post by mhc »

OP,

have you looked into what services your water company provides? My water company will notify me if they suspect there is a leak. I can also look at my water usage on their website.

Why are you concerned that the water company cares if you strap something to the meter? Who will see it? Do you still have meter readers walk up to your meter? Do you think that person cares? If so, attach a note explaining what it is.
penumbra

Post by penumbra »

We have a flume. It is a fabulous device! It works flawlessly. We heard about it through our water company who encouraged its use. It has been a game saver for us. It will text you when you inadvertently leave the hose running, which has happened to us more than once, or even more seriously, if there is a consistent leak. It notifies us every time the sprinklers go off in the middle of the night to let us know how long they’ve been running and how much water has been used. I am sure the water company will not object, and you’ll be very happy you did.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Why would the water department care what's on the outside of the water lines? It doesn't impact them in any way.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

penumbra wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:57 am We have a flume. It is a fabulous device! It works flawlessly. We heard about it through our water company who encouraged its use. It has been a game saver for us. It will text you when you inadvertently leave the hose running, which has happened to us more than once, or even more seriously, if there is a consistent leak. It notifies us every time the sprinklers go off in the middle of the night to let us know how long they’ve been running and how much water has been used. I am sure the water company will not object, and you’ll be very happy you did.
From the website, it looks like Flume has detailed water usage report by fixture/appliance. But from reviews/responses it sounds like it estimates detailed usage by machine learning. One review said all water detail usage showed up as one toilet. I’m mainly interested for leak alerts/detection. How does it work in your experience - does it pinpoint accurate usage by device and where leaks are?
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

I recently found out my town uses "Aquahawk" and I was able to create an account to see my daily, hourly, monthly usage - see trends over 2 years - and set alerts.
Make sure your town doesn't have it.

I agree with others - if you are not installing something in front of the meter - you are good.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

i have that, it's good
i got a rebate from the water company to buy it, so of course they're ok with it, the only special warning they gave was don't strap it on in a way that blocks their meter reading, or they have the right to remove it. or maybe that was something i saw in the product installation instructions. anyway, it's fine.
comfortable being all stock until age 40, now working towards 60-20-20 us-intl-bond