Anyone bank with Chase? How’s your recent experience?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Anyone bank with Chase? How’s your recent experience?

Post by manlymatt83 »

Recovering over-complicated finance guy in his 30s recently turned “I want simple” about 6 months ago. Still consolidating.

I have about 20 years of history with Chase on the credit card front and about 1 year of history on the self-directed investment front.

I opened their checking account on a whim for a bonus but really like the interface. As much as I like all of my other banks (NFCU, Alliant, Schwab, etc.) the idea of having my checking and my joint checking with my SO in one place sounds kind of nice (as far as I’m aware Alliant still has issues with joint checking accounts).

What’s everyone’s take on Chase as a checking account provider? Especially if you have enough assets with them to waive fees? I’d keep Schwab as a backup (also have some investments there).
K72

Re: Anyone bank with Chase? How’s your recent experience?

Post by K72 »

There are several threads about Chase. Here are two:

viewtopic.php?t=371534&hilit=Chase&start=50

viewtopic.php?t=385452&hilit=Chase
All we want are the facts...
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

K72 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:49 am There are several threads about Chase. Here are two:

viewtopic.php?t=371534&hilit=Chase&start=50

viewtopic.php?t=385452&hilit=Chase
Thanks…. I am honestly not sure how I missed those considering I am subscribed to one 🤦‍♂️ Bad memory.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I only have a savings account at Chase (main bank is Ally), to have in-branch help, when needed.

Never an issue.
simas

Post by simas »

manlymatt83 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 11:40 am What’s everyone’s take on Chase as a checking account provider? Especially if you have enough assets with them to waive fees? I’d keep Schwab as a backup (also have some investments there).
it is pretty standard big bank corporate
- anyone at the branch you are talking to has their quotas to fill (to sell the products of the bank). No quota -> no bonus/no job
- corporate dictates everything on what branch could and could not do, i.e. where in small bank getting a signature guarantee was as simple as making an appointment , at Chase it was the run around (multiple branch) until eventual admission that corporate does not give branches rights to do any of this . 'Risk Management'. for what it is worth, Fidelity did the same sig guarantee in second when stopping at their local branch
- products are what they are (minimums on checking accounts to avoid double digit monthly fees, etc). if you think you want to do that, they may meet your needs.
-branches/ATMs are plentiful , however 'your branch' or branch you liked to go to may or may not exist next week, next month, next year. They have the right to and do 'optimize' their footprint

Customer of 20 years starting by the way of WaMu

My experience with all other big banks is pretty similar - rigid process and fixed products, zero flexibility (take it or leave it), wide availability of branches/ATMs, high fees, forced sales quotas on poor souls who have to work there..