Vanguard Customer Service Mega-thread

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
vineviz

Re: Vanguard Social Media Complaints

Post by vineviz »

sensorium wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:47 am Facebook in particular. Lately, I've seen a flood of complaints regarding long holding queues for phone customer service, locked accounts, etc. The same kind of complaints you see on the pages of high yield savings banks. The general grievance seems to be that Vanguard has changed for the worst. I'm curious to know if this is true. I've had my account for 25 years, never had to call, and haven't had any problems. Granted, I'm not as active as most, and I realize there are many angry, choleric individuals who enjoy infecting others with their misery, especially from behind the computer screen. But is it really that bad?
I don't currently have any accounts directly at Vanguard, though I do use their funds.

There's probably some element of truth to the complaints, since my experience has been that Vanguard has always valued organizational leanness. And they might be currently be paying the price for underinvesting in technology in the past.

But I've learned that no one screams louder than that vocal minority of customers who are disappointed.

And very few firms today, in any industry, have enough experienced and talented front-line employees. This is surely not something unique to Vanguard.
"Far more money has been lost by investors preparing for corrections than has been lost in corrections themselves." ~~ Peter Lynch
sensorium

Post by sensorium »

vineviz wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:54 am
sensorium wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:47 am Facebook in particular. Lately, I've seen a flood of complaints regarding long holding queues for phone customer service, locked accounts, etc. The same kind of complaints you see on the pages of high yield savings banks. The general grievance seems to be that Vanguard has changed for the worst. I'm curious to know if this is true. I've had my account for 25 years, never had to call, and haven't had any problems. Granted, I'm not as active as most, and I realize there are many angry, choleric individuals who enjoy infecting others with their misery, especially from behind the computer screen. But is it really that bad?
I don't currently have any accounts directly at Vanguard, though I do use their funds.

There's probably some element of truth to the complaints, since my experience has been that Vanguard has always valued organizational leanness. And they might be currently be paying the price for underinvesting in technology in the past.

But I've learned that no one screams louder than that vocal minority of customers who are disappointed.

And very few firms today, in any industry, have enough experienced and talented front-line employees. This is surely not something unique to Vanguard.
Good points. I suspect that anyone who has a job that can be done by a few lines of coded software has been, or will soon be replaced. I do know that excessive locked accounts are sometimes the result of automated fraud detection systems with the bar set too low.
sensorium

Re: Very good experience with Vanguard

Post by sensorium »

MadDwag wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:19 pm
MadDwag wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:12 pm
Colorado Guy wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:14 am
noelesor wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:23 pm Had a very good experience with Vanguard today, all issues addressed. Wait time on phone about 2 minutes. Hopes this a start to customer service getting a lot better.
+1
Had to call Vanguard yesterday, first call in about a year. Similar wait time (actually, less than a minute) to talk to a real (and knowledgeable) person. He answered my questions, supplied me with the instructions I needed, and also spent time with me discussing my options for what I could do in my situation, some of which I was unaware of.
Funny you say this. I've now been on hold for 80+ minutes and been transferred 3x just to get my username unlocked.

This happened to me when I signed up with a new savings bank. I thought it was a one-off, but apparently it's an industry trend.

Admittedly, it's my fault for fat-fingering the password too many times, but the user interface for small business login can use some help. Through trial and error, I've found the "Log-in" at the top of the page is not the log-in needed for small business. One has to scroll down past the huge banner and then find the "Employer log-in" button. Silly of me to think a button that says "Log In" at the link they sent in the email might actually be the correct spot to log in :happy
Make that 4 transfers now. The incompetence is mind-boggling!
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

Simply read this thread...
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
sensorium

Re: Vanguard Customer Service Mega-thread

Post by sensorium »

Flyer24 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:59 pm Threads have been merged.
Thank you!
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

astrohip wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 9:13 am
Simply read this thread...
Before I began having problems with Vanguard last year (the worst of them being the incredible and repeated errors), I also wondered what the growing fuss was about. If you haven't experienced it personally, it will be hard to believe it's "that bad."
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
starboi

Post by starboi »

Barrons: "Skewering Vanguard, the Fed, and the Super Rich: Community Conversations"
The first comment below garnered 97 up votes with just three down votes:

Carson Kremlik: “The service desk is very poor these days. The website is cumbersome. They are more interested in drumming up people who will pay for investment advice, rather than traditional DIY Bogleheads. it’s not just the new fees.”
https://www.barrons.com/advisor/article ... 1662060358
CedarWaxWing

Re: Very good experience with Vanguard

Post by CedarWaxWing »

MadDwag wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:12 pm

Funny you say this. I've now been on hold for 80+ minutes and been transferred 3x just to get my username unlocked.

Admittedly, it's my fault for fat-fingering the password too many times, but the user interface for small business login can use some help. Through trial and error, I've found the "Log-in" at the top of the page is not the log-in needed for small business. One has to scroll down past the huge banner and then find the "Employer log-in" button. Silly of me to think a button that says "Log In" at the link they sent in the email might actually be the correct spot to log in :happy
One more reason to not use a link seen in any email for your sign in link. Another more important reason is that some links in emails that appear to be legit will in fact be phishing attempts. Phishing attempts can often be detected by a careful analysis of the email, which will have been designed to appear to be from a source it is not from. A simpler way to foil phishing attempts is to use your password manager each and every time you want to log in.

I find it irritating that any personal investing company would send folks an email that suggests you should click any link in any email to log in... doing that is imho not the good "internet hygiene" and is a set up eventually clicking a link that will lead to your account being hacked.
Buffetologist

Vanguard IRA Customer Service

Post by Buffetologist »

[Moved into the existing thread regarding Vanguard Customer service - Moderator Misenplace]

So the request to transfer funds from Vanguard to NASA Federal Credit Union was faxed by NASA FCU on 8/25. No movement at Vanguard.

I'm currently on hold with Vanguard. My estimated wait time is greater than one hour. I tried this earlier in the week and got the same thing. I sent an internal message and it's been days with no response.

Can someone recommend a more responsive firm to hold a small IRA. Most of my IRAs are in Credit Union CDs but I do need something equivalent to a hub to move funds when there are no better options.

I've been with Vanguard for more than 30 years. This is sad.
stan1

Re: Vanguard IRA Customer Service

Post by stan1 »

Fidelity or Schwab.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

Do you have access to Real Time chat?
Buffetologist

Post by Buffetologist »

I don't see real-time chat on the Vanguard platform
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I have it but not sure exactly how you can get it
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

This is typical Vanguard. Just go with Schwab or Fidelity.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Buffetologist wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:40 pm [Moved into the existing thread regarding Vanguard Customer service - Moderator Misenplace]

So the request to transfer funds from Vanguard to NASA Federal Credit Union was faxed by NASA FCU on 8/25. No movement at Vanguard.

I'm currently on hold with Vanguard. My estimated wait time is greater than one hour. I tried this earlier in the week and got the same thing. I sent an internal message and it's been days with no response.

Can someone recommend a more responsive firm to hold a small IRA. Most of my IRAs are in Credit Union CDs but I do need something equivalent to a hub to move funds when there are no better options.

I've been with Vanguard for more than 30 years. This is sad.
Fidelity. They treated my spouse very well when she just created an account with only $50.
pubman

My Uncommunicative Flagship Representative

Post by pubman »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

I was not sure where to post this topic, and I apologize if it should have been posted elsewhere.

5 1/2 months ago I received a message from our then Flagship Rep informing us that he was leaving Vanguard. We then received nothing from Vanguard until a few months later when we got a message from our new rep introducing himself (by message, not phone). I called him a little later about a minor issue and he apologized about not getting back to us. When I did not hear from him again, I called and spoke to another Flagship rep and I asked to be assigned another rep. That was about 2-3 months ago and I have not received a single word from anyone at Vanguard. My wife and I have a sizable amount invested at Vanguard so we are quite amazed at how we are being so completely ignored.

My question is, is this how Vanguard is treating everyone these days?

Thanks.
nyclon

Re: My Uncommunicative Flagship Representative

Post by nyclon »

Very responsive and treating us very well. I’m happy with it as a free, responsive service.

But, they’re pushing us towards PAS which we won’t be doing until the portfolio gets much larger. It’s a bit of a hassle because the PAS rep, although nice, isn’t much of help.
Last edited by nyclon on Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

pubman wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:48 pm I was not sure where to post this topic, and I apologize if it should have been posted elsewhere.
Apology accepted. It should have been posted here: viewtopic.php?t=351604

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

You have to sign up for PAS, or have Flagship Select ($5 million), to have an assigned representative now.

At 0.03% expense ratios, something has to give. The phone service really started to unravel at the beginning of COVID.
Cheez-It Guy

Post by Cheez-It Guy »

Vanguard is becoming very egalitarian. Equally poor service regardless of asset levels. It's a good ego check.
Wiggums

Post by Wiggums »

I would call vanguard and ask to speak with a Manager to get this issue resolved. No issues here.
Investors need to be better informed about the costs they pay. “High fund fees can be hazardous to your wealth in the same way that high calories can be hazardous for your health.”
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

They took away my dedicated flagship rep a few years ago.
dak

Post by dak »

We initially had an assigned representative, but that fell by the wayside. Since we rarely have the need to contact Vanguard, it really has not been much of an issue. The problems that we have encountered have been well handled by the pool of Flagship representatives.

IMHO - the assigned rep thing was always a bit silly as there is no reason to expect that a given person would be expert in all areas. It would be grand if once an issue is raised, that you were given a single point of contact until the issue is resolved. Frankly, that should happen at any level of assets invested with Vanguard. (Perhaps this does happen - as I mentioned, we have had little to no reason to chat with Vanguard through the years.)

Going forward my plan is to observe how Vanguard handles my (infrequent) problems. If they can't provide adequate service, I hear that there are other investment providers that will happily accept my investment account and (apparently, for now) provide better service.
retire2022

Post by retire2022 »

Op

At 2.7 million since August 2021 and currently 2.2 million no Flagship upgrade, currently Voyager Select.

I know it is honorary status, no Flagship Customer Service representative.
pubman

Post by pubman »

5 1/2 months ago I received a message from our then Flagship Rep informing us that he was leaving Vanguard. We then received nothing from Vanguard until a few months later when we got a message from our new rep introducing himself (by message, not phone). I called him a little later about a minor issue and he apologized about not getting back to us. When I did not hear from him again, I called and spoke to another Flagship rep and I asked to be assigned another rep. That was about 2-3 months ago and I have not received a single word from anyone at Vanguard. My wife and I have a sizable amount invested at Vanguard so we are quite amazed at how we are being so completely ignored.

Thanks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged pubman's thread into the ongoing discussion.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
starboi

Post by starboi »

pubman wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:05 pm 5 1/2 months ago I received a message from our then Flagship Rep informing us that he was leaving Vanguard. We then received nothing from Vanguard until a few months later when we got a message from our new rep introducing himself (by message, not phone). I called him a little later about a minor issue and he apologized about not getting back to us. When I did not hear from him again, I called and spoke to another Flagship rep and I asked to be assigned another rep. That was about 2-3 months ago and I have not received a single word from anyone at Vanguard. My wife and I have a sizable amount invested at Vanguard so we are quite amazed at how we are being so completely ignored.

Thanks.
Flagship clients no longer get personal reps as of circa 2019.

viewtopic.php?t=293483
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I am becoming weary of the long wait times. Called today due to account access problem, first call was 9 -19 minute wait. Second call 6 - 16. These are there qouted wait times, I did not time the wait.

In the past I have got lucky with wait times, it seems my luck has come to an end. A little concerning if I needed to make a trade shortly before market close.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

nyclon wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:50 pm But, they’re pushing us towards PAS which we won’t be doing until the portfolio gets much larger. It’s a bit of a hassle because the PAS rep, although nice, isn’t much of help.
A bit off topic but...
Why do you think you need PAS when you Portfolio gets larger?
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

I called them a few weeks ago to convert my taxable mutual funds to ETF equivalents. I waited a bit for them to pick up the phone, but when they did, everything was great. They were knowledgeable, concise, and quick. And by that evening, it had all happened without a hiccup. So that was a good experience in my book.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

I want to roll a 401k from another vendor into my Vanguard account and wondered how to start the process: do I start with Vanguard or the other vendor? It seemed like a simple question so I first tried the chat. After typing in my question, it appeared that an actual person was answering. They asked a few more questions, which I answered. Then, I got an auto-response not related at all related to my original question and it said chat was unavailable and listed a number to call. This was during normal business hours.

I call the number. The robot asked for my last four social security digits of social and zip code. Then it asked which option I needed help with and I made my selection.
It then sent me to a different sounding robot, which asked for my last four of social and zip code. Then it asked the same question as to why I was calling and I again made my selection.
It then sent me to yet another, different sounding robot, which asked for the last four of my social and zip. Then it asked the same question again! I tried hitting zero a few times but nothing happened, so I selected a different option just to get out of the loop.
It sent me to yet another robot that again asked for social and zip. I hit zero a dozen times and it finally connected me to a human.

The person then asked for my last four of social and zip. Then a few security questions. Then asked why I was calling. I was very clear about what I needed. He told me he would have to transfer me to another person. The other person picked up and asked for the last four of my social and my zip. She then asked a few security questions and why I was calling. I explained. she then said she needed to transfer me to a different person. The third human asked for the last four of my social and zip and a few security questions. I finally got a response: you have to ask the other vendor.

I mentioned the phone-bot infinity loop I was trapped in to one of the humans. "Oh no, you got trapped in the loop." was there response as if this is a common thing. They said it's a "known problem" and that they are working on it. They gave me a number to call to avoid the loop in the future. Afterwards, I realized it was the exact same number I used.

Not impressed.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

caffeperfavore wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:26 am I want to roll a 401k from another vendor into my Vanguard account and wondered how to start the process: do I start with Vanguard or the other vendor? …
For a 401k, consider starting with the 401k provider to see what your options are for a rollover. Some will only do this by check. Consider having the check (properly made out for a direct rollover) sent to you rather than Vanguard and then mobile depositing the check.

If the 401k provider is a mainstream brokerage, it may be faster/easier to open a Rollover IRA at the provider to accept the rollover in and then initiate at Vanguard a direct trustee-to-trustee transfer of the IRA from the provider to Vanguard.
dbr

Post by dbr »

I found this online on the Vanguard web site: https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... -over-401k

Note a first step is to contact your 401k plan. Also, this implies that the transfer will be of cash that will be deposited in your IRA settlement fund or that you may be sent a check:

Step 3
Deposit the money into your Vanguard account

Rollovers typically take 2-4 weeks to complete. In many cases, the amount will be sent directly to us. However, if you receive a check from the financial institution, here is what to do

Note: Once we receive your assets, we'll place them in the settlement fund in your new or existing IRA.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

dbr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:51 am I found this online on the Vanguard web site: https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... -over-401k
+1
I always start with the web site before calling.
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

rkhusky wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:02 am
dbr wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:51 am I found this online on the Vanguard web site: https://investor.vanguard.com/investor- ... -over-401k
+1
I always start with the web site before calling.
Thanks all. Good advice. I actually started with the website and when the chat box popped up, I decided to use it on a whim to see if they could answer my question, which then sent me down the road of calling instead.

Anyway, I'm all sorted now, but just adding my experience as yet more data for the thread. No doubt it's a common question and shouldn't have lead to an endless robo-call loop and being transferred to three different people.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

caffeperfavore wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:08 am No doubt it's a common question and shouldn't have lead to an endless robo-call loop and being transferred to three different people.
You're right, that shouldn't have happened.
Even though I'm a long-time Vanguard investor, I don't do rollovers very often and so would search first for something like "Vanguard rollover". The first hit on DuckDuckGo is https://investor.vanguard.com/401k-rollover.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

StevieG72 wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 7:54 pm I am becoming weary of the long wait times. Called today due to account access problem, first call was 9 -19 minute wait. Second call 6 - 16. These are there qouted wait times, I did not time the wait.

In the past I have got lucky with wait times, it seems my luck has come to an end. A little concerning if I needed to make a trade shortly before market close.
That isn't unique to VG or the brokerage industry. Those times seem pretty good by today's standards. Most call centers are understaffed right now. My ISP doesn't even quote a wait time anymore and their chat system wait time is typically 30-60 minutes.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
astrohip

Post by astrohip »

Not typical for all places. When I finally got upset enough with VG to move my accounts, I started with my IRAs. I sent a message to my Fidelity guy, who responded within a few hours with a link. That link led to Fidelity's "transfer an IRA to us" web page, where I filled out a few questions, and hit Submit.

It was completed a few days later.

I've never looked back. Good luck!
"Happiness is not about doing, it’s about being." - R Branson
furwut

Post by furwut »

I just tried to logon to check on a confirmation and find their site is giving the "life support" message and they're unable to show me any of my data at the moment. Alone, this isn't a big deal for me as I probably only need to interact with them once a month or so. But I've been a Flagship Customer for decades - back when it meant something - and I'can't remember the last time I've been able to call or get a multi-step request completed without a huge hassle.

My ex-employer's 401k is administered by Vanguard and it gives me a nice cost savings over investing in Admiral class shares. If it weren't for that I'd be down at the Fidelity office around the corner in 2 seconds moving everything $$$$$.
beyou

Post by beyou »

I just called TD Ameritrade due to my employer picking them as a brokerage link (mutual fund window) for our 401k.
They answered the phone very quickly and provided concerned, competent support.
I also called my 401k plan trustee, Voya, and they responded quickly, and when they couldn't answer my question, they said "I'll check and call you back". They did call back maybe 10 mins later with an answer.

Vanguard isn't the only one that's slow and poorly trained, I hate contacting Citibank too.
But inertia and low costs are powerful forces...I have both accounts for a long time, Vanguard and Citibank.

I have decided to keep my 401k at Voya/TD Ameritrade rather than rollover to Vanguard.
No work to leave as-is, and I can get get the same low ER funds (even some zero ER funds) at my 401k.
Now moving my taxable account is another thing, love those Vanguard Admiral muni funds.
If someday I am no longer in a tax bracket where munis make sense, I may just move the rest....once on all ETF diet.
Last edited by beyou on Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

beyou wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:32 pm Now moving my taxable account is another thing, love those Vanguard Admiral muni funds.
If someday I am no longer in a tax bracket where munis make sense, I may just move the rest....once on all ETF diet.
Why can't you transfer-in-kind? You can keep your Vanguard funds at Fidelity just fine. That's what I'm doing.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Count de Monet

Post by Count de Monet »

LadyGeek wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:15 pm
beyou wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:32 pm Now moving my taxable account is another thing, love those Vanguard Admiral muni funds.
Why can't you transfer-in-kind? You can keep your Vanguard funds at Fidelity just fine. That's what I'm doing.
Unless something has changed, I believe that Admiral shares, which have a bit lower ER, can only be held at Vanguard. There may be a few funds that are/were exceptions. For example, I seem to recall that the 60/40 fund went to essentially only Admiral a while back.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Count de Monet wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:46 pm
Unless something has changed, I believe that Admiral shares, which have a bit lower ER, can only be held at Vanguard. There may be a few funds that are/were exceptions. For example, I seem to recall that the 60/40 fund went to essentially only Admiral a while back.
No, most admiral funds can be held at other brokerages. Buying may be a problem. Selling isn't.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Most muni funds that have Admiral shares, one cannot buy more shares at any brokerage firm I know of.
I already have an Etrade account for many years, and while you can trade Vanguard funds (buy and sell) free,
they do not allow you to even transfer in some funds, such as these, last I asked. And even if Etrade or Fidelity allowed
transfer in, if I can't sell and buy back, how does one do rebalancing over time ? How does one to TLH ? I don't want to be trapped
never again being able to buy more of two of my core holdings. I have a small list of funds, try to keep 4-5 funds in my taxable and 2 of them
I could not trade anywhere but at Vanguard.

If/when my tax situation changed seemingly for good I would swap to ETF bond funds and probably leave Vanguard.
If I move to a no income tax state so I don't need my state specific fund and/or overall incomes low enough to no longer warrant for federal taxes, none of the taxable bond funds would require I stay at Vanguard, from what I see (plenty of good taxable ETFs from Vanguard, BlackRock and Schwab).

I could move my Roth now but that is a small percentage of the assets. Would likely move Roth at same time as taxable to consolidate.

I do like what I read about the Fidelity security (transfer lock and Symantec), but I am more impressed by the service and quality of staff at Schwab. Not sure which way I would go...but not ready to go now anyway. Usually the tech would make the decision for me, that's how I ended up with Etrade many years ago.
beyou

Post by beyou »

Nate79 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:55 pm
No, most admiral funds can be held at other brokerages. Buying may be a problem. Selling isn't.
I think most people intend to sell at some point. Why pay fees and then what if you want to get back in ?

The MOST important issue is having the investment products you want at a reasonable price.
I own them every day, I call for service maybe once every year or two at most.
beyou

Post by beyou »

yes many funds merged to Admiral only, those can be traded at many brokerages.
Those that still maintain both investor and admiral shares, the admiral are not so widely available, if at all, outside Vanguard.
I personally wouldn't buy most of these funds, but I do own 2 of them as core holdings for the foreseeable future.
Last edited by beyou on Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Count de Monet

Post by Count de Monet »

I now see that Fidelity does have more than a few Vang. Admiral funds. Still, they are exceptions, as they don't have the Admiral shares of Wellesley, Wellington, or Hi-Yield Bond to name just 3 examples. :happy
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

beyou wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm
I think most people intend to sell at some point. Why pay fees and then what if you want to get back in ?

The MOST important issue is having the investment products you want at a reasonable price.
I'm not aware of brokerages charging a fee to sell Vanguard admiral funds. Are you?
beyou

Post by beyou »

Nate79 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:34 pm
beyou wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:26 pm

I'm not aware of brokerages charging a fee to sell Vanguard admiral funds. Are you?
Not specifically Admiral funds. Some brokers have a larger fee to buy and none to sell. I have a brokerage link to my enployer 401k, with Ameritrade. They charge $25 buy and sell (for my 401k participants), whereas I noticed their public commission schedule is $50 to buy and free to sell. Same cost if you trade regularly to rebalance. But this would be for any fund not on their “NTF” program.

But the bigger problem is many brokerage wont let you buy SOME admiral funds at all. Some brokers wont let you transfer all Vanguard fund inbound (etrade told me so, and they list 2 of my admiral funds as not available to purchase-can get investor shares free of commission though).
caffeperfavore

Post by caffeperfavore »

rkhusky wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:17 am
caffeperfavore wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 11:08 am No doubt it's a common question and shouldn't have lead to an endless robo-call loop and being transferred to three different people.
You're right, that shouldn't have happened.
Even though I'm a long-time Vanguard investor, I don't do rollovers very often and so would search first for something like "Vanguard rollover". The first hit on DuckDuckGo is https://investor.vanguard.com/401k-rollover.
Sure, yes, I should have Googled. Don't know why I didn't, but my point was to illustrate what happens when you do call. So, if they can't answer a simple question easily, then best of luck to you when you can't find something by Googling or if you have a question that requires some nuance.