Hard Rain Wash Away Hydroseed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
fishmonger

Hard Rain Wash Away Hydroseed?

Post by fishmonger »

So after our septic install, we had about a third of an acre hydroseeded last Monday (9/12). The first few days were dry and mild - high 70s, low 80s. Since then we've had two days of hard rain, first around 9/16 or so and then today.

Not much we can do about it regardless, but how likely is this to "wash away" what was laid down? We're in New Hampshire, I was told that seeds normally start to take hold in 10-14 days, today would be Day 10....
simplesimon

Re: Hard Rain Wash Away Hydroseed?

Post by simplesimon »

Do you know what kind of grass was planted? You should be seeing some baby grass blades coming up if it was PRG or TTTF.

You're probably fine - hydroseed is suppose to mitigate erosion.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Was some sort of straw and tack used? I suppose there could always be sufficient rain to wash it away. You will have to go outside and look to know the status. What do you see?
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

On flat ground, very unlikely. Part of the reason for using hydroseed is it is erosion resistant. The mixture is actually a bit tacky.

On a steep slope, with heavy rain, there is some risk. But there's not much to do but wait and see what happens. You won't have to wait long.

When I regraded my yard, I spread plain seed on moderate slopes, and didn't do anything more than go over it with a lawn roller (which presses the seed against the soil, but doesn't not prevent erosion). We had a really strong downpour a couple days later. Some of the seed migrated with the dirt, resulting in a few bare spots, but most of it stayed in place.

If you have bare spots, follow up when the weather is mild with plain seed.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

fishmonger wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:41 amNot much we can do about it ...
Please tell us in 2 weeks the outcome. Thanks!
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Topic Author
fishmonger

Post by fishmonger »

iamlucky13 wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:39 am On flat ground, very unlikely. Part of the reason for using hydroseed is it is erosion resistant. The mixture is actually a bit tacky.

On a steep slope, with heavy rain, there is some risk. But there's not much to do but wait and see what happens. You won't have to wait long.

When I regraded my yard, I spread plain seed on moderate slopes, and didn't do anything more than go over it with a lawn roller (which presses the seed against the soil, but doesn't not prevent erosion). We had a really strong downpour a couple days later. Some of the seed migrated with the dirt, resulting in a few bare spots, but most of it stayed in place.

If you have bare spots, follow up when the weather is mild with plain seed.
Good to know! We have a small hill in the backyard which was covered in hay (on top of the hydroseed). So I'm hopeful it will turn out ok. Prob won't really know 'til next spring anyway