Should I wait to invest in CDs?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mj11711

Should I wait to invest in CDs?

Post by mj11711 »

The fed just raised the rates today and signaled another interest arte increase before year's end. I have about $150k in cash that I am willing to put into a CD for 3 years or so. Should I do that now (I see the returns are around 3% now) or wait until years end, next year when returns are higher - are the CD rates going to go up along with the fed rate hikes?

Not sure what else to invest in at a time like this. My 401ks and stock/index fund portflios got butchered last 2 years.
JoeRetire

Re: Should I wait to invest in CDs?

Post by JoeRetire »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:48 pmare the CD rates going to go up along with the fed rate hikes?
Maybe.

One thing is sure - your cash is earning 0%
Oh, noooooo! I'm so sorry, it's the moops! The correct answer is 'the moops'.
yules

Post by yules »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:48 pm Not sure what else to invest in at a time like this. My 401ks and stock/index fund portflios got butchered last 2 years.
Based on this info, you should put your cash to stocks so that you rebalance!

Yules
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

I'm seeing these rates at Schwab:

1 yr CD 4.00%
2 yr CD 4.10%
3 yr CD 4.20%

1 yr Treasury 4.14%
2 yr Treasury 4.08%
3 yr Treasury 4.03%

If you are concerned about rates rising after you lock-in a CD or Treasury for three years, consider a CD/Treasury ladder. $50k in a 1 yr Treasury, $50k in a 2 yr CD/Treasury and $50k in a 3 yr CD/Treasury. (Note: Treasuries are exempt from state and local taxes so your after-tax rate on the two and three year treasuries may actually be higher than the two and three year CDs, depending on your state and local tax rates).
Topic Author
mj11711

Post by mj11711 »

I have been playing the stock market and am done with that at this point because I lost so much I do not even want to say it. I do still hold a soft spot for VTSMX but I kept buying this year when I thought it wasnt goign to go down any more and got royally screwed a few times ...not sure I want to keep buying into it now.... is the stock market supposed to go up from here?
Topic Author
mj11711

Post by mj11711 »

Never did treasuries- whats the easiest way to buy them? I have accounts with Vanguard, Fidelity and Ally bank.

galawdawg wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:01 pm I'm seeing these rates at Schwab:

1 yr CD 4.00%
2 yr CD 4.10%
3 yr CD 4.20%

1 yr Treasury 4.14%
2 yr Treasury 4.08%
3 yr Treasury 4.03%

If you are concerned about rates rising after you lock-in a CD or Treasury for three years, consider a CD/Treasury ladder. $50k in a 1 yr Treasury, $50k in a 2 yr CD/Treasury and $50k in a 3 yr CD/Treasury. (Note: Treasuries are exempt from state and local taxes so your after-tax rate on the two and three year treasuries may actually be higher than the two and three year CDs, depending on your state and local tax rates).
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:02 pm I have been playing the stock market and am done with that at this point because I lost so much I do not even want to say it. I do still hold a soft spot for VTSMX but I kept buying this year when I thought it wasnt goign to go down any more and got royally screwed a few times ...not sure I want to keep buying into it now.... is the stock market supposed to go up from here?
You've been on Bogleheads since 2015? What have you been reading here that led you to "play" the stock market and be so confident that you could accurately predict that "it wasn't going to go down anymore" that you bought more? :oops: The results of a wise approach to investing in equities isn't measured in days, months or years but rather in decades.

To answer your question, yes, the stock market is supposed to go up from here. When? Who knows. Could be tomorrow, could be in 2030.

If you haven't yet done so, take a look at the Wiki, particularly on the Boglehead investing philosophy and on asset allocation as well. If you can't "stay the course" you need to rethink your risk tolerance. There are other options besides "all in" and "all out"! :beer
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:03 pm Never did treasuries- whats the easiest way to buy them? I have accounts with Vanguard, Fidelity and Ally bank.
This is an excellent thread on buying treasuries: viewtopic.php?t=378350
student

Post by student »

How about 3-month t-bill and reevaluate in 3 months. Here is a good guide. https://thefinancebuff.com/treasury-bil ... arket.html
homebuyer6426

Post by homebuyer6426 »

I bought some CDs a while ago at 3%. I bought more recently at 4%. I wouldn't wait to invest in CDs because I select the CD's length to correspond with when I expect to need the money.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:02 pm I have been playing the stock market and am done with that at this point because I lost so much I do not even want to say it. I do still hold a soft spot for VTSMX but I kept buying this year when I thought it wasnt goign to go down any more and got royally screwed a few times ...not sure I want to keep buying into it now.... is the stock market supposed to go up from here?
i suggest you read the following:
Getting Started
and
Bogleheads Investment Philosophy

but definitely these:
Never Try to Time the Market, Stay The Course

Develop a workable plan, Never Bear too much or too little risk

And read this:

How much risk do you need to take: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asset-allo ... -you-need/
How much risk do you have the ability to take: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asset-allo ... -you-take/
How much risk do you have the willingness to take: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asset-allo ... tolerance/
How to deal with conflicts between the need, ability and willingness to take risk: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/asset-allo ... ing-goals/
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Topic Author
mj11711

Post by mj11711 »

homebuyer6426 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:13 pm I bought some CDs a while ago at 3%. I bought more recently at 4%. I wouldn't wait to invest in CDs because I select the CD's length to correspond with when I expect to need the money.
Where are you getting CD rates at 4%? The highest im seeing is 3% at 5 year...
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:25 pm
homebuyer6426 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:13 pm I bought some CDs a while ago at 3%. I bought more recently at 4%. I wouldn't wait to invest in CDs because I select the CD's length to correspond with when I expect to need the money.
https://www.savebetter.com/cd-accounts
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Vanguard is showing 4%+ on various maturities; I looked quickly just now and above 6 months there are offerings of 4% and higher in some cases. I suspect all the brokerages show similar results.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

mj11711 wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:03 pm Never did treasuries- whats the easiest way to buy them? I have accounts with Vanguard, Fidelity and Ally bank.

1 yr CD 4.00%
2 yr CD 4.10%
3 yr CD 4.20%

1 yr Treasury 4.14%
2 yr Treasury 4.08%
3 yr Treasury 4.03%

I would use Fidelity of those three based on the discussions on this board. You can buy on the secondary market. Or you can put in an order for an auction. If you choose the auction, you may also choose auto roll if you want. See the long thread started by Kevin M for buying treasuries.

Or just buy a fund or money market that invests in treasuries.
arcticpineapplecorp.

CletusCaddy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:38 pm
did you read the fine print:
Powered by
Each customer authorizes the Custodial Bank to hold the customer’s funds in a custodial capacity in order to facilitate the
customer’s deposits to and withdrawals from any product at Axiom Bank that the customer requests through SaveBetter.com.
The Custodial Bank does not establish the terms of the deposit accounts or offer the deposit accounts to customers and
provides no advice to customers about deposit accounts at Axiom Bank. Lewis and Clark Bank, Member FDIC, is the
Custodial Bank
while axiom is rated A+ (https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/axiom-bank.html), the custodial bank, that is, Lewis and Clark is rated B+ (https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/l ... -bank.html)
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:02 pm
Powered by
Each customer authorizes the Custodial Bank to hold the customer’s funds in a custodial capacity in order to facilitate the
customer’s deposits to and withdrawals from any product at Axiom Bank that the customer requests through SaveBetter.com.
The Custodial Bank does not establish the terms of the deposit accounts or offer the deposit accounts to customers and
provides no advice to customers about deposit accounts at Axiom Bank. Lewis and Clark Bank, Member FDIC, is the
Custodial Bank
while axiom is rated A+ (https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/axiom-bank.html), the custodial bank, that is, Lewis and Clark is rated B+ (https://www.depositaccounts.com/banks/l ... -bank.html)
FDIC insured is FDIC insured
02nz

Post by 02nz »

As an example, if you could get an 18-month CD at 4% right now, but you instead keep it in a "high-yield" savings account earning 2%, then in 6 months' time you need to find a 12-month CD that earns more than 5% in order to come out ahead. That's a much higher threshold than just holding out for a higher rate.
investor4life

Post by investor4life »

1 yr CD 4.00%
2 yr CD 4.10%
3 yr CD 4.20%

1 yr Treasury 4.14%
2 yr Treasury 4.08%
3 yr Treasury 4.03%

This is a good intro to buying Treasuries at various brokers.

https://thefinancebuff.com/treasury-bil ... arket.html
iflyjetzzz

Post by iflyjetzzz »

student wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 2:12 pm How about 3-month t-bill and reevaluate in 3 months. Here is a good guide. https://thefinancebuff.com/treasury-bil ... arket.html
I opted for the 8 week today; auction tomorrow. Should have a yield ~2.9%. The reason for that is that the next FOMC meeting is Nov 1-2 and I anticipate them raising rates another 75 BPS.
I also like the idea of Tresauries over CDs since they're very liquid and I'm just sitting on the sidelines looking for a spot to invest in equities.
arcticpineapplecorp.

CletusCaddy wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:05 pm
arcticpineapplecorp. wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:02 pm