Fire extinguishers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Sandtrap

Re: Fire extinguishers

Post by Sandtrap »

Bobo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:07 pm How many people have fire extinguishers?

I just ordered a used laptop on Ebay and, even if it was new, you never know. I'm seriously thinking of getting a fire extinguisher, and I have to decide where to put it and the laptop.
To OP:
We live in a rural area so there are no "fire hydrants" on the street, which means that if there is a house fire, the only water available will be from a Fire Department Tanker Truck. . . and it is not much water.

What we have that works for us in our home.
3 level home: 5000 + s.f.
3-4 car attached garage.

Commercial grade fire extinguishers:
Mini Shop
Warehouse
Garage

Home multi rated fire extinguishers:
Kitchen
Utility Rooms

Large "Fire Extinguisher Balls" (Elide)
Kitchen: over upper cabinets and range hood.
Garage over HVAC systems, etc.
Attic over HVAC systems etc.

For your laptop:
Fire resistant storage box/safe.
Automatic Halocarbon

I have personally experienced 3 kitchen fires over the decades and it was a fire extinguisher that prevented them from becoming house fires.
3 years ago, I watched a neighbor's 8000 plus s.f. luxury home burn all day and night. . . until there was nothing left.
The fire department and crews tried thier best.

One of my oldest friends is a retired fire captain. A "real working firehouse fire professional (not a desk jockey)" might have some interesting well educated and well experienced thoughts on "fire extinguishers".

In commercial food prep/franchises, food courts, etc, there are various "fire codes" besides "fire sprinklers" that must be complied with.
(dis laimer: zillions of ways and opinionizations about zillions of things based on nil to zero to extensive personal or professional experience. This is only one.)

j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
GeMoney

Post by GeMoney »

Have one in the kitchen. I had one in my parents kitchen (they told me it was unnecessary when I brought it over) which came in handy once when a fire started on the stove which minimized the damage.
tm3

Post by tm3 »

Fire extinguishers are like firearms. No one needs either in the home.

For a fire, call the fire department.

For a life threatening situation, call the police.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

tm3 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:25 am Fire extinguishers are like firearms. No one needs either in the home.

For a fire, call the fire department.

For a life threatening situation, call the police.
I somewhat disagree on the fire extinguishers. We don't have a "full service" fire department nor fire hydrants (but we do have pool water for a pumper truck), so if we can for example, nip a stovetop fire in the bud it would be a good idea.

We would not endanger ourselves. If there's any possibility of being trapped, we leave. It's just a house.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
TJat

Post by TJat »

Bobo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:07 pm How many people have fire extinguishers? I just ordered a used laptop on Ebay and, even if it was new, you never know. I'm seriously thinking of getting a fire extinguisher, and I have to decide where to put it and the laptop.
Is the premise that a laptop is a fire hazard? If so, what good is an extinguisher if this thing spontaneously combusts when you’re not home?
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

I used a small aerosel version in the kitchen. I haven't had to use it yet, but the reason I got it is because the regular ones supposedly need rechargng after a few years.

While I have set my food on fire a few times, I have not yet suffer a fire from a laptop, tough many of them get really hot.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

Two in the kitchen and two in the master bedroom. Very important to have a couple of them on second floor of a home. Having one in your car is also a good idea. You can put out a small fire with an extinguisher very easily. Obviously in case of a more involved larger fire its better to just get out.
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

Bob B wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 am I see many people in this thread locating their extinguisher near where they think they may need it (kitchen, next to fireplace, etc.) Bad idea. You want to locate the extinguisher NEAR, not AT, the potential point of use. I keep one inside the basement door which is fairly central to the rest of the house.) If your stove or fireplace is blazing you don't want to have to go near it to retrieve an extinguisher.

And, call 911 before you try to fight it yourself. Or better yet, just get out of the house and call 911. Don't become a victim. Fire can become overwhelming very quickly. I speak this as a former firefighter.
+1
It is amazing and "spooky" how quickly a fire can start and go to a "fully involved" structure fire.
And, for the occupants, the "smoke"/"fumes" is a serious concern long before the fire is fully involved.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

gavinsiu wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:10 pm I used a small aerosel version in the kitchen. I haven't had to use it yet, but the reason I got it is because the regular ones supposedly need rechargng after a few years.

While I have set my food on fire a few times, I have not yet suffer a fire from a laptop, tough many of them get really hot.
Years ago I served as a volunteer firefighter. I don't recall actual numbers, but by far the majority of fires that we responded to were kitchen fires. I keep a 3-A:40-B,C in the garage just outside my kitchen door, and consider this the minimum size extinguisher suitable for home use. A smaller 2-A:10-B,C might be a decent compromise, but a "small aerosol" version is way too small if it's your only extinguisher. In many cases, it provides false protection and in the case of a moderate kitchen fire may spread the flames and then go empty without fully extinguishing the fire.

You do realize that, so long as you inspect extinguisher pressure and, maybe twice a year shake or invert the extinguisher to ensure the dry chemical hasn't settle solid on the bottom no periodic recharge is required. Recharge cost for my extinguisher should run $25-$30, but I haven't discharged it yet in the 15 years since purchase.
gavinsiu

Post by gavinsiu »

neilpilot wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:44 pm
gavinsiu wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:10 pm I used a small aerosel version in the kitchen. I haven't had to use it yet, but the reason I got it is because the regular ones supposedly need rechargng after a few years.

Years ago I served as a volunteer firefighter. I don't recall actual numbers, but by far the majority of fires that we responded to were kitchen fires. I keep a 3-A:40-B,C in the garage just outside my kitchen door, and consider this the minimum size extinguisher suitable for home use. A smaller 2-A:10-B,C might be a decent compromise, but a "small aerosol" version is way too small if it's your only extinguisher. In many cases, it provides false protection and in the case of a moderate kitchen fire may spread the flames and then go empty without fully extinguishing the fire.

You do realize that, so long as you inspect extinguisher pressure and, maybe twice a year shake or invert the extinguisher to ensure the dry chemical hasn't settle solid on the bottom no periodic recharge is required. Recharge cost for my extinguisher should run $25-$30, but I haven't discharged it yet in the 15 years since purchase.
Good to know. Will upgrade extinguisher. What would you suggest?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

gavinsiu wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:00 pm
neilpilot wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:44 pm

Good to know. Will upgrade extinguisher. What would you suggest?
minimum size: https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-21005779-P ... 105&sr=8-8

PS - we also keep an escape ladder in our 2nd floor bedroom - never used so far
https://www.amazon.com/Kidde-468093-Two ... B00005OU7B
TLC1957

Post by TLC1957 »

Firefighter for 35 years, in both rural ie bring our water to the fire and 2 cities with hydrants. Also a fire protection engineer for an insurance company for 36 years, have trained 100’s of homeowners and employees on fire extinguisher’s, my take.

Call the FD then use the extinguisher!

I have been at fires where the occupants used 3-4 extinguishers on the fire before a neighbor calls us! Never thought to call the FD. I have been at fires where the occupant said the extinguish did not work, they forgot to pull the pin! Training is important! Never ever put yourself between the fire and the exit thinking you can extinguish the fire. You think you extinguished the fire, perhaps, call the FD, if it gets into the wall or ceiling, the fire will spread! Call the professionals believe me I rather go to a fire call to make sure the fire is out then have to deal with trapped occupants.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

TLC1957 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:35 pm Firefighter for 35 years, in both rural ie bring our water to the fire and 2 cities with hydrants. Also a fire protection engineer for an insurance company for 36 years, have trained 100’s of homeowners and employees on fire extinguisher’s, my take.

Call the FD then use the extinguisher!

I have been at fires where the occupants used 3-4 extinguishers on the fire before a neighbor calls us! Never thought to call the FD. I have been at fires where the occupant said the extinguish did not work, they forgot to pull the pin! Training is important! Never ever put yourself between the fire and the exit thinking you can extinguish the fire. You think you extinguished the fire, perhaps, call the FD, if it gets into the wall or ceiling, the fire will spread! Call the professionals believe me I rather go to a fire call to make sure the fire is out then have to deal with trapped occupants.
one small comment - where you say "Never ever put yourself between the fire and the exit", that's actually where you do want to be. I think you mean "Never ever put the fire between you and the exit".
like2read

Post by like2read »

NCPE wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:22 pm

Friendly public safety reminder - If you have the dry powder type extinguishers remember to check the gauge and to flip them upside down a few times to keep the powder from settling in them when you check your Smoke Detectors in the spring and fall.
Thanks for the reminder! Just found that one of four in the house needs to be replaced.

l2r
snackdog

Post by snackdog »

Our place was owned by an institution which sold it to us. The extinguishers are mounted right on the wall, just like in an office building - kitchen, bedroom hall, basement, garage, etc. They are fairly unsightly and I keep threatening to take them down, remove traces of the mounts, and store them. Spouse says leave them up. So, they remain up.
wilked

Post by wilked »

I think these should be standard in kitchens
https://www.mccainwalls.com/images/com ... _panel.jpg

Not unsightly like hanging it in the wall and there when you need it.

Challenge is that it is deeper than a standard 2x4 wall…
Minty

Post by Minty »

PSA: If you have older Kidde extingishers (pre-2018), they may have been recalled. It looks like the free replacement program is still active.
Core Four w/ nominal bonds & TIPS. Refi Rampage: Purchase: 3.875% 30 -> R1 3% 20 -> R2 2.375% 15 -> R3 1.99% 15 -> R4 1.875% 15
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

wilked wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:39 am I think these should be standard in kitchens
https://www.mccainwalls.com/images/com ... _panel.jpg

Not unsightly like hanging it in the wall and there when you need it.

Challenge is that it is deeper than a standard 2x4 wall…
All of my homes have had easy access to the door the the attached garage. Just outside that door, in the garage, is where I locate my primary extinguisher. While a fire can occur anywhere in the house, the kitchen is the most likely location, and the garage is also high on the list.
burgrat

Post by burgrat »

One in the kitchen (kitchen specific, purchased at Home Depot), it's smaller and I keep it in the cabinet under the sink.
2 others (1 in garage (mounted on the wall by the door) and 1 upstairs (kept in closet)).
I have never used them, but they are quite inexpensive and I would feel horrible if I didn't have one to put out a potentially life-changing fire because I didn't spend $20 on a safety measure.
Home Depot has a good set of 2 for around $30. Do it.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Dottie57 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:24 am
alfaspider wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:42 am For automotive use, I recommend spending a bit more (~$120) and getting a Halon fire extinguisher (often marketed as Hal-guard). It's what race cars and aircraft use in their fire suppression systems. The reason is that it will not leave residue or cause thermal shock to electronics like an ABC or BC fire extinguisher will.
Are they safe to use indoors. I think Halon is not good to inhale. I was told to get out of the computer room if fire alarm goes off in 10 seconds as the room would fill with halon.

Never mind. It is an ingredient that hurts the ozone .
The issue there was that there'd be so much it would displace the air, so you'd suffocate. For a car, it's rather unlikely you'd need to use it indoors.
Big Heart

Post by Big Heart »

What is the proper way to dispose of an expired fire extinguisher?
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

Big Heart wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:03 am What is the proper way to dispose of an expired fire extinguisher?
Regular fire extinguishers don’t expire. Only the cheap & inferior extinguishers.

If it still has a charge, the local fire protection equipment company should be able to help dispose of it in an appropriate manner.
If it is empty, first make sure there is no pressure remaining in the cylinder; squeeze the lever and remove the extinguisher head. Then in most jurisdictions it simple goes into the trash.
rockstar

Post by rockstar »

I have two. One specifically for my kitchen. I think, these are changing right now, so I'll probably update it with the new standard.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

Anyone here have any specific advice for apartment dwellers? I live in a 9 story building. There is a fire extinguisher in the hall, and smoke detectors in the apartments. I guess I should buy my own extinguisher.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Bob B wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:15 am I see many people in this thread locating their extinguisher near where they think they may need it (kitchen, next to fireplace, etc.) Bad idea. You want to locate the extinguisher NEAR, not AT, the potential point of use. I keep one inside the basement door which is fairly central to the rest of the house.) If your stove or fireplace is blazing you don't want to have to go near it to retrieve an extinguisher.

And, call 911 before you try to fight it yourself. Or better yet, just get out of the house and call 911. Don't become a victim. Fire can become overwhelming very quickly. I speak this as a former firefighter.
To me this is very much the point. It would depend on how fast your local FD is able to react.

Fires move very fast (especially in commercial office premises) and modern materials like foam & artificial fibres create huge amounts of toxic smoke.

Carbon Monoxide will get you really quickly. Lose consciousness.
zkzkzk

Post by zkzkzk »

Thanks for bringing this up. I found 3 of my 5 extinguishers need replacing. On a side note, fire extinguishers make great house warming gifts. My wife thought is was a crappy idea until one of her girlfriends had a close call with a grill fire near the back of her new home and used the fire extinguisher we gave her when she moved in to put it out.
Z
HaveaNiceDay

Post by HaveaNiceDay »

October 9 to 15 is Fire Prevention week, so look for sales on fire extinguishers and smoke detectors at home improvement stores and other retailers.

For example, Costco has mid-size fire extinguishers with a hose which make them a little easier to use $10 off now through October 23 rated 3A40BC (good for Type A, B, and C fires). I think they are around $29 with the discount.

We replace ours every 3 years during the annual sale, cheap insurance. Have used them twice in the last 15 years or so, very handy to have when needed.
Please excuse the typos, it is my way of showing the post is authentic....